query using operated arm

I had 3 lymph nodes and a lumpectomy on my left side, when I went for my chemo talk and tour, the nurse asked me if my left side could be used, I said I didnt know but after my op it had been used for taking my blood pressure. She said I will have to ask my professor guy if the left arm is out of bounds! Why is this??? Shouldnt they have informed me before now???

Julie xx

If you’ve had lymph nodes removed you shouldn’t use that arm for blood pressure and jabs. Also avoid cuts, stings, sunburn etc etc
Did they give you a leaflet on lymphoedema? It should all be explained in the leaflet. If not, I think you can download one from this website.
You’ve got to be careful with that arm from now on.
I was given a pile of leaflets when I was initially diagnosed, but I didn’t have surgery until 5 months later. Fortunately I still had the leaflet!
In my experience, you’ve really have to take the initiative in finding things out. Don’t assume they will tell you everything you need to know. They should do, but they may not.

You definately shouldnt use your left arm for blood pressure, blood tests or any injections from the operation onwards. You must take greater care with it too re cuts, bites, injuries, ammount of sun that you get on it. You should have been told about lymphoedema but if you havent there are some great posts on here about it and ask for leaflets from your BCN

Hi Julie,

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication regarding lymphoedema and to the web page on this site where there’s further information. If there’s anything you would like to discuss in person then please don’t hesitate to phone the helpline here, the staff are here to support you through this. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/living-lymphoedema-after-breast-cancer-bcc5

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/long-term-side-effects/lymphoedema

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Thank you for your help ladies xx