cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on chemo

12 REPLIES 12
bydand

Re: question on chemo

Hi had chemo - fec and tax both of which failed as I had a local recurraqnce and secondary in my spine very soon after finishing them. Imagine how I would feel if I had not tried chemo? I know it is a very personal decision and everyone is different but I will try anything that they offer me to try and extend my life.

Anne xx

anna35

Hi, before i was diagnosed i remember someone raising that exact same point with me, and i thought what was being said made sense. Now i am here on the cancer journey, i still think it makes sense but to be honest, even if it is just prolonging life thats good enough for me. I want to live a long and happy life, there are so many people that i cant bare to leave, any extra time with them i will gladly take. Also my mum has non hodgkinsons lymphoma and ended up refusing chemo, i know that my brother will never forgive her fo that, although personally i can understand her choice.
take care
anna

yellow

I was never offered chemo. Diag Aug 08 tnbc 7.5mm less than one centimetre no spread. Sounds good on the surface, but I have learned that no evidence of spread does not mean it has not, also what is this tosh about diagnosing bc early has a better outcome. I have now lived with this disease for the past 13 months and not a day goes by without thinking when it will return. I have talked long and hard with my family and the one thing I am sure of is that I will not be accepting chemo if this b....tard of a disease returns. I know this sounds cinical but for the past 40 years I do not think we have saved any lives, just prolonged them. But one thing that is apparant is that the breast cancer industry along with the drug companies just get richer. There does not appear to be the political will to cure this disease, and when you think of it, why should there be when there is a whole industry to support by not finding a cure. Sorry about the rant, I blame returning to college as a mature student. It has made me so aware of my social and economic environment and where the priorities lay etc.,

horace

I am at the stage where I am really glad I did have chemo first time round but I'm not altogether sure I could do it again.I think that if I had another primary or a recurrence of the first then I probably would feel I owed it to myself and my family to try.Not sure about secondaries though.Jane you are doing what you must to try to minimise the horror of the end stages of your cancer.You have certainly followed every possibe avenue up to now and there must be a point for everyone at which they say 'enough no more'.

JaneRA

Thanks for your nice message Anna,

I was diagnosed in OCT 2003 and had 6 AC before surgery. Then had 4 cycles of taxotere after surgery. Was in remission 2004 till April 2007. Had all the other chemos since then. 2007-2009.

Jane

anna35

Hi, my mum was diagnosed with non hodgkinsons lymphoma 3 years ago and decided to stop chemotherapy because it wasnt going to cure the disease. I fully respect her decision to do that and actually think that she did make the right decision. I am myself having chemotherapy for triple negative breast cancer, and what is right for me now is to have that chemotherapy. Everyones situation is different and i think if i didnt try that would be wrong for me. I think its awful that you feel people cant understand your decision to stop chemo, as shown in the list of chemo drugs you have had, you have certainly given it one hell of a try. How long ago were you diagnosed? I have spoken to quite a few ladies on these forums that have been cancer free for many years after having treatment and thats certainly what i keep in mind when going through all this.

JaneRA

I think the questions which are posed about chemotherapy and triple negative cancer can be the wrong ones.Having cheotherapy may delay the progresion of cancer but it will not cure the cancer. gggg...if you decide to only have rads and no chemo at all it is likely that your survival will be shorter than if you take available chemotherapy which will probably prolong your life for some months.

I have triple negative cancer and have pretty much exhausted all chenotherapies ; AC, taxotere, vinorelbine, xeloda, carboplatin, gemzar, taxol, caelyx. I decided to stop cealyx ater 2 cycles because my cancer was still growing (regional recurrece in neck and chest wall)and am now trying to get the best quality of life I can..a pretty poor one as it happens as my left arm is completely innombile and I am in constant pain. I find it pretty hurtful when people assume (and they do, my how they do..) that had I continued chemo I would not been in such discomfort. No one knows but my symptoms crept up on me while having chemo, as well as when not. My cancer did not respond to chemotherapy.

Chemotherapy is not a wonder drug...those who have chemo are no braver or not than those who don't...but those who don't have chemo are equally not some inferior species.

This is a horrile disease in its advanced stages...chemotherapy or not.

Jane

marmite

I have had triple neg for 8 years now. only diagnosed secondary one year ago, but had at least 3 regional recurrances. personally it is the chemo that keeps me going. have had 6 now, and am on my last standard treatment. If I am having chemo I feel I am fighting the desease, and am dreading the day the onc says I have to stop.
But everyone must make their own choice for treatment.
I remember thinking 7 years ago, that I could never have chemo again after the first time, but I have had it every year for the last four and am still here! So I urge you to think about it.
Marmite x

brenda6

Hi,

I too am triple negative had bi lateral surgery, one year ago this week. I never considered not having chemo or anything else they offered. As already said we have no 'safety net' after chemo and rads and chemo is very effective on TN.

Please do think long and hard, chemo is certainly not pleasant but it is doable.

Brenda x

DevonDebs

Hi

I asked my Onc for stats (I know these are a generalisation and one size doesnt fit all) but the percentage difference in overall survival was far higher for me to have chemo than not. I also have triple negative and was stage & grade 3, I dont know anyone who has gone for rads only as our treatment options are so limited anyway. A friend who was also TN 3/3 had her treatment the other way round to mine, she had chemo first then surgery 6 months later, then rads. To be honest I didnt even really think about not having chemo, I got caught on the rollercoaster of diagnosis, surgery, more surgery then very quickly into chemo and just went with it. 1 year since diagnosis today, the year has flown by.

anna35

Hi, i personally think that as being triple negative, my tumour is also a grade 3, that we are limited already to the treatments we can have and this thing is aggresive too. Daunting as it is to think about chemo, i think the chances of the cancer spreading would be worse. I am on my 5th of 8 cycles now and would not even consider refusing it.
hope this helps
anna

horace

I doubt it very much q knowing what we know about tn and that it responds better to chemo than some hormonals.If you dont zap it with everything asap I think it can come back and kick you----hard.
It is always up to the individual to decide but if this is you may I urge you to think long and hard.The side effects of chemo can be awful but the side effects of not having it can be death.
Valx

qqqqqqqq

question on chemo

Has anyone ever had a grade 3 tiple negative breast cancer and said NO to chemo and just had radaition?