questions about rads with implant

Hi All

I had an immediate implant recon following mx a couple of weeks ago and have now been told I may need radiotherapy (bit of a complicated situation). Has anyone else had rads with an implant, I’m aware it can cause problems? Also, is reaction to rads linked to how your skin usually responds to sun (I burn easily and generally have sensitive skin) or is it not connected? thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hi lizred, 

I am sure any users who have had similar experiences will be along soon to offer their support. 

In the meantime please do call ourhelplineat 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about radiotherapy with an implant and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Hi Lizred,
I’ve just finished radiotherapy. Had masectomy with immediate silicone reconstruction (with some sort of mesh but I couldn’t tell you offhand what type!) in December. It hadn’t affected the implant at all to my knowledge - looks and feels the same. No one seemed concerned at all that I’d had a reconstruction ?
I also suffer with eczema but my skin held out really well. I rarely burn in the sun mind. Most people seemed to use Aveeno moisturiser, I did and I really liked it. Boots quite often have it 3 for 2, but you might find your GP can prescribe it for you ?
Loads of good luck xxx