71627members
375799posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cooking" in June/July - Any newbies to Rads ?

sue496

Re: "Cooking" in June/July - Any newbies to Rads ?

Hi, had my last rads yesterday and my skin so far is fine. Due to go on holiday to Spain for two weeks on the 11th July - thought it would be a nice break after surgery, chemo, rads and before starting Herceptin in August. Only found out about the no sun, no pool two weeks into rads! Anyway, plenty of gin, wine and shade will do me!

Posting just to let you ladies know that you can get factor 50 sun block on prescription from your GP.

Happy hols. Sue x

kittyw

HI WOODY 24 I TOO HOPE TO HAVE A HOLIDAY WHEN THIS IS FINISHED BUT NO POOL OR SUN WHAT A B####R!!! IS SWIMMING IN THE SEA OK? THIS WEEK IS THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG WHILE THAT I HAVE FELT A LITTLE MORE POSITIVE AND NOT AS TEARFULL.BUT AS SURE AS EGGS IS EGGS THIS BL##DY DISEASE AND ITS TREATMENTS COME UP AND BITE YOU ON THE BACKSIDE. ARGGGGGG!!!!! JUST HAVE TO SPENT MORE TIME IN THE BAR THEN LOL.

woody24

hi everyone, I`m on my 11th rad today,so far skin marvellous with a combination of Aloe vera gel, E45 and aqueous cream. I told the radio therapist I was planning to go to Spain 2 weeks after I finish treatment,she said no pool swimming(chlorine)no sun and did I realise my skin would be at its worse then? Can anyone confirm thats true,you get more sore when the rads stop.Looks like I`ll only be going out in the dark! Love Mags X

My_Experience

Evening everyone, been watching the tennis, that was a late one!
Had my first session today, I ended up with another tattoo - that's 5 now! I did have to wait around for a while and my session seemed to last an age being zapped in various places.

I was a bit tearful - don't know why.

Off to put the cream on now and then to bed ready for session 2 tomorrow, 20 to go...

kittyw

HELLO EVERYONE HOPE YOU ARE ALL OK
IM JUST BACK FROM HOSPITAL [7.30PM] APPOINTMENT FOR 4TH RADS WAS 5PM BUT MACHINE BROKE DOWN.THERE WAS ALLREADY A BACKLOG SO EXPECTED AN HOUR DELAY. I CAN'T COMPLAIN AS I KNOW SOME OF YOU HAVE HORRID ROUND TRIPS. HOSPITAL TO MY HOME IS ONLY 10-15 MINS.STAFF SAID THEY WILL ADD IT ON AT THE END. HOPE THIS IS THE ONLY TIME AS I'M PLANNING TO GO ON A LITTLE HOLIDAY TWO DAYS AFTER THIS FINISHES.
TAKE CARE KITTYX

kittenkat

meant to say I'm due 15 sessions to whole boob and 8 boosters....

kittenkat

hi girls - can I join in please? Jan - I did wonder about camping when I saw your name - Trigano - we have a Combi-Camp, just been away this weekend for sat night......I start rads next week on July 9th so have been reading up for tips! Just finished chemo 12 days ago....mary x

tenny

Jan - lovely to hear you're enjoying your campervan even if you are having rads too. A bit of a mixed holiday for you! We've just bought a caravan - always thought we'd wait until we retired, but after my diagnosis you just think 'what the heck, why wait, let's do it now', so as soon as I finish my rads we're off for a long weekend in the caravan!

Hope the rads this week go ok for everyone - it's going to be a hot week so we need to be careful not to get sunburnt!!
Tenny
xx

jantrigano

Hi All,
Home again for the weekend, 18 down - 7 to go - yippee ! Into single figures now and it seems unreal.
I am so lucky I am usually the first appointment and out of the hospital by 10.00 am. Its great to have the rest of the day free to enjoy being in our campervan, its a strange sort of holiday !
Skin seems to be holding up well, quite pink and sore in certain places but OK, still slapping on lots of aquaeous cream and now intrasite gel for the tender bits !
Hope we all enjoy a relaxing, sunny weekend.
Hugs to us all - Jan xx

libby51

One week down three to go and good I have two days off from my 100 mile round trip, hope your all doing ok xxx

lifeisforlivin

Well I had my first one yesterday, didn't enjoy it much, I only have 15 in total so I shouldn't complain. Felt quite embarassed as the radiographer was a young man, stupid I know but I get so shy having to take my top off.

Sam x

purpleprincess

Hi All
Had my second rads today another 28 to go!! Hope my skin holds out. Yesterday the machine I was due to be on had broken down and today's machine broke down while I was in the middle of my treatment. They managed to fix it but it meant I had to stay in my position that much longer. Hope everyone is doing okay with their treatments
love
pp

magsinmiami

Hi Everyone,

I started my rads on Monday, 22nd. Went Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday was a holiday here in Spain so got a day off, back again today. I get taken to and from the hospital in an ambulance taxi and noticed that Tuesday and today I felt a bit sicky on the way home and thought that it was possible travel sickness (don't like being in the back of a car)but maybe it is due to the rads - after reading some of the above posts, also today I felt really tired when I got home, had to have a little nap. Didn't expect rads to affect me that quickly, am due to have total of 35 sessions so hope I can overcome the sickness and tiredness.

When I went to be marked up they gave me a 200ml bottle of Sativa Soft cream and told me to use it twice a day before my rads started, I used that for 6 weeks and now have to use it when I return home after treatment. Don't know if you can get this in UK but it is a really nice cream, am on my second bottle now and they say they will give me more when that is finished.

Because I was told that I would have to keep out of the sun during rads, I got myself a really nice bronze tan before they started and so I can't see whether my skin is discoloured or not at the moment. You should have seen me yesterday, sitting on my terrace reading with a towel over my shoulder and breast so that the sun wouldn't get to it! !

Good luck to you all

Margaret xx

bubblesdevere

hi i start cooking 8th July good luck to everyone and lots of hugs
please let me know how you all get on
xxx

tenny

Gosh, Lizzie's comment about the tiredness is oh so true - I've just had number 11 out of 18 and suddenly feel as if I've been hit by a sledgehammer today! It was as much as I could do to get out of bed this morning - I had a morning rads appointment and then came into work, but I think I shall have to go early before I fall asleep at my desk!

Other than that, the skin is holding up well and I'm still comfortable wearing a bra, so haven't gone into vests yet!!

I hope you're all doing ok. This forum really helps, as does having a chat to the other ladies in the hospital waiting room - it's very telling that we're nearly all there for the same reason so it just goes to show how the medics are really on top of breast cancer.

Have a good Friday rads session to you all - hope the machine doesn't break down, and don't forget we all get TWO days off over the weekend!

Tenny
xx

My_Experience

Good luck for today - let us know how you get on.
How many sessions do you have?
I start Monday...

lifeisforlivin

Can I join this thread, I start my rads today ! Don't know if I am feeling nervous or not !

Sam

fluffyface

Hi Libby. I've sent you details of my times for next week ok. Hoping it's a better day today for you.

Thanks Lavendersblue for the details on the planning day. I am very anxious about it all.. ct scanners, tatoos, the big scary machine! etc. I've got over the hurdle of surgery and now rads seems like a much bigger one. It is helping to read everyone's comments though.

Planning day is next Tuesday and treatment starts 2 days later. A total of 20 sessions.

kittyw

So gratefull for this site Had first rads yesterday and woke very early this morning with terrible headache and very sickly.convinced there was something terribly wrong with me.Thankfully read some comments by others on this journey and realised this can be a side effect no one warned me about.Ihave found this all the way down the line through surgury, chemo and now rads medics sugar the pill and keep things from us so when you get unexpected symptoms you fear the worst[ well i do anyway] so thanks to all of you knowledgable women out there
take care

sunset

HI all,
Had my 1st app with ong y'day have to wait for rad 5/6 wks.
My mapping out is 20th July seems a long time to wait, they said very busy.lol. I'm having 13 sessions and 3 boosters.

It seems to affect poeple differantly so have to wait and see

sunset

lavendersblue

She , at the planning session they will lie you down on the bench...place a shape under your knees and then put your arm on your affected side above your head..they then pass you through a CT scanner to get an image of your breast and where your heart and lungs are etc.

From this image they can work out where the beams of radiation need to go to kill the cancer cells..but not damage healthy areas . To be able to line you up again when you have your treatment they will give you 3 or 4 tiny black tattooed dots.

It all takes about half an hour or so....

I was told to rub the Aqueous cream in twice a day, for the two weeks before I started treatment, and was given free tubes of it from the hospital. If they don't give you any , Asda and Tesco Pharmacies sell it for £1.95 for a huge tub. Boots is far more expensive at about £4.00.

Hope your trip to Spain goes well...

Hugs, Jill

libby51

Thanks Lizzy for your reply.
I suppose we are all different and dont know what to expect.
I am a bit worried as ive had ME for 20 years and suffer badly from that ie- no energy tired all the time muscle pain to name but a few.
I still try to cram too much into a day, but will have to learn to slow down now with all of this bc stuff. x

LizzyM

Libby
I felt really headachy and sicky the first few rads - think I was getting a bit dehydrated? Felt better when I drank more water....

Hope it goes well for you all, I finished mine on June 4th. Lovely to finish, but believe them when they tell you that the tiredness builds up, and continues to for a good 2 weeks afterwards! I always presume that, somehow - the same rules don't apply to me! And I was floored by the tiredness - total lack of energy and very weepy - so take care of yourselves and don't plan too much those weeks.

But, promise - it does pass - this week I have really picked up and starting to feel more like "me" (for good or bad!)

(((((Hugs)))))to you all - keep slapping on the cream!

Lizzie XX

libby51

HI Fluffy
hope your planning goes ok x

libby51

Only had 2 rads and feel really sick, mostly mornings.
Is this normal? X

she

Hey everyone

I'm waiting for my 'planning' appointment to come through. Will be one day next week, as we are flying to spain the following week for my baby's christening. Come home 16th July and start treatment on 20th July at the Western in Edinburgh.

I wondered what I should expect at the planning appointment? Also, any tips for things to do to prepare for the treatment, or for during would be appreciated? I've read about acqueous cream so will get some of that, but can't remember what I read about Aloe Vera jelly?

Thanks girls, and good luck to all of you

Shenagh xx

fluffyface

Libby, thats a shame. I am still waiting for my appointment schedule to be posted to me. I will let you know about the 2nd July as soon as i know.

libby51

HI Fluffy
I wont see you then as im there at 11 on tues, shame
Maybe you will have a better time on the 2nd let me know the time and I will check mine x

fluffyface

Hi Libby

Planning day is 30 June 3.40pm. How was Day 2? A bit humid for travelling eh.

smelltheroses

Yes I had the blue dye last week and am now proud owner of a blue boob! Have to say this is slightly less alarming than what came out blue at the other end! What a shocker! At least I had been warned! xx

My_Experience

Just back from 2nd planning session. They added another tattoo, so now I have 4 dots!

purpleprincess

Hi Jan
I went to one of the Look Good Feel Better workshops in February and thoroughly enjoyed it and came away with a big bag of goodies!!
love
pp

My_Experience

Hello - ready to join this thread now
DX Nov 08, FEC/TAX Nov 08-Apr 09, SNB/WLE Apr 09, 2nd op May 09 - clear margins but positive lymph nodes.
2nd planning session this week, start rads next week and that will take me through to the end of July 09.
Have DEXA scan this week too.

Aloe Vera Gelly & Aqueous Cream at the ready. Also read somewhere about drinking coca cola after each session and to eat plenty of garlic. That will be nice for those who know me! Anyone else tried that?

libby51

HI
out just over 3 hours not too bad , my machine was broken down for 30 mins, went on my own today, but taking others from Taunton tomorrow. Fluffy what time is your planning next week? X

fluffyface

Hi Libby. So how did it go today - the transport, time at the hosp etc. I was thinking about you, wasnt sure which day you started. I replied to your msg by the way. That's a tick in the box anyway, one down 19 to go.. stay positive 🙂

libby51

Started rads today in Bristol 1 down 19 to go feel tired already, think its the 100 mile all round journey. Well has to be done x

lavendersblue

Yes I had and still do have the tiredness/fatique too Jan , I think most folks do . I have been finished a week today....and I can still sleep for 2/3 hours most afternoons !!

I sit down to watch the TV or read a book and that's it...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think you just need to give in to it....it is a healing process. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

Hope everyone is coping OK with the zapping and the side effects.

Hugs, Jill

bubblesdevere

Hope your Rad going ok i start mine 8 July i am not looking forward to it but it has to be done.
Please let me know how you are getting on

jantrigano

Hello All, 13 down and 12 more to go ! Yippee, have passed the half way mark -just !
No blue dye for me but I am looking a bit pink but not too sore or itchy as yet. But I am feeling soooo tired, I was already feeling tired as a side effect from the Tamoxifen but now I could nod off standing up.
Is anyone else having this fatigue ?
I have booked in for a Look Good - Feel Better session for later this month held at the Maggies centre, has anyone been on one ? I believe you get a great goody bag, so I am excited.
Hope we are all enjoying our 2 days off . Love Jan xx

lavendersblue

Yes I had the blue dye too tenny , it has lasted for almost a year...I noticed the other day that it has definitely faded a lot now...although there is still the faint hint of it !!! I guess it will go in time...

Have a great weekend everyone...

Hugs,
Jill

nora

Thanks everyone for the response. I think it is great that we can offer support to one another. I have had day 1 of the rads and glad that is out of the way. At least you know what to expect now. I have met some lovely ladies at the Breast Clinic and also at Christies which is where I am having my treatment.

I have started with the cream and will see how it goes. I thought after the first treatment I would be glowing in the dark but nothing yet!!

I also know now why I never liked rollercoasters!! I may take up bunjee jumping after this or abseiling.

Good luck to everyone with their treatment, thinking of you all.

Jackie

tenny

So, did we all get the blue dye injected into our boobs before our ops - and is it still very visible? In our garden we've had loads of baby birds this year and my husband takes great joy in telling everybody that we have lots of Blue Tits ....and then looks directly at me (ha,ha, very amusing, say I!). I think it will need to be pink ones after the rads!

Thank goodness it's Friday - we all get 2 whole days off from treking over to our various hospitals for the rads. Enjoy your weekends, girls.
love
Tenny

lavendersblue

Fluffyface glad the posts are helping you...I have certainly found them to be a life line....it is great to be able to discuss things with folks in the same boat....and what a s****y boat it is LOL.

Sorry to hear your stitches are so tight and it is hard to stretch your arm....I cannot stress enough how important the exercises they give you to do are.....I still do mine every day and they do really help...especially as you have to be able to put your arm above your head for the rads.

I have lymphoedema in the breast tissue, and the exercises help that too...if I forget them I really notice it.

Vicky , a cotton hanky is best...but I also used tissues or even kitchen roll . They seemed to work just as well and could be changed regularly with no problems like having to wash them !!!

M&S do some great non wired support bras for only £12 ...a great price .

Hope evryone is coping OK.

Hugs, Jill

fluffyface

Hi all. I'm new to this, so bear with me! It's been very reassuring reading your posts here and I feel less alone now. It's all happened so quickly, I haven't really had chance to take it all in. I found my lump early March. BC diagnosed mid April - grade 2 invasive ductal.I'm 41. Was immediately put on Tamoxifen (so far no bad side effects, just dizziness). On 18 May I had lumpectomy with good clearance, and lymph node sampling, which was clear. So now I have my rad planning day on 30 June, with 20 sessions 2-29 July. Am still sore and numb from the surgery, even after 4 weeks (the stitches under the armpit were so tight it's hard to stretch now), and haven't been at work for the duration.. not that i can face people at work at the moment anyway.

I will keep checking back here on all your progresses, as it all helps to reduce the fear and anxieties I am feeling. I am trying to remain focused and positive, although I have days where I feel tearful and panicky.

I'm so glad this forum exists 🙂

snottraggs

thanks Jill and other ladies,

i have started to put on the cream and trying to find some good bra's for the period. I was told I would need to put a hanky under my bust so need to buy one - only use tissue in my house!

hope all that are "cooking" that your skin is holding up/ will be so glad to get this over with.

vicky

tenny

Hi all - I never liked rollercoasters in the first place and this bc stuff is the worse one to be on! It's the waiting for results that's particularly awful isn't it, and you keep thinking 'this can't be me, this kind of thing happens to other people not me'! Actually my Mum had bc but not until she was in her 80's (she died last year from a stroke not the cancer), so it was really strange to find myself in the same breast care clinic as I'd been taking her to for years (thankfully I didn't have the same consultants - that would have been too spooky!). Good luck all with the 'cooking'....!
Tenny
x

lavendersblue

Know what you mean Sal, I can hardly believe I have just been through the traumas of the last 11 months. I was so well and fit...or so I thought...and had no idea that I had a lump or lumps in my breast until my regular mammogram picked them up in July 08.

I had a small , 6mm invasive ductal cancer that had unfortunately spread to my sentinel node...which was twice the size of my tumour...no one has been able to tell me why . This meant I had to have second op for an axillary clearance ( luckily all clear ) , followed by 6 months chemo and 3 weeks of rads. I talk to so many people with bigger tumours than mine...who have had no spread to lymph nodes....so what happened with me then ????

Great to see you here too Vicky.....I am sure you and Nora will cope well with the rads...it was so much better than the chemo...I was told to use the Aqueous cream twice a day for the two weeks before my rads started...I am just starting to feel sore in the crease under my breast today...so put one of the dressings on. Nurse said to keep them for when I blistered...but what the heck !! Lol

Hugs,
Jill

libby51

HI
Anyone starting rads in Bristol next week? X

salopets

Hi Vicky. I started putting cream on about a week before I started rads. I have sensitive skin too and burn in the sun, but my skin's held up well. I was told to go bra-less as much as possible and did that for a couple of weeks, until I felt that I was uncomfortable without support. I bought a couple of cotton M&S maternity bras in a bigger size (£20 for 2), so they're not tight around my body, and I put a cotton handkerchief underneath where the elastic is, to protect the skin there. Good luck, the time will fly by.
Sal x

snottraggs

Can I join???

I had planning session yesterday and start rads next week - having 15 normal and 4 boosters!! What fun. Only finished chemo 2 weeks ago - 7 months worth. was DX oct 08 had lump removed and lots of chemo. I am anxious of rads are skin very sensitive and didn't like hickman and still not back to normal eventhough hickman removed. have got huge tub of cream, should I try to prep my booby before I start rads???

thanks for any adivce

vickyxx