cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Preparing" for Chemo

7 REPLIES 7
marli

Re: "Preparing" for Chemo

Hi Tartan Tottie. I had chemo from December to April alongside Herceptin and Perjeta.These were 8-9 hour treatments so quite tiring. Mastectomy 6 weeks ago. Herceptin suspended because of changes to heart and put on heart medication. Thankfully heart is recovering and hope to start herceptin again next week.

Unfortunately fatigue is the worst part of our treatment in my opinion and like you I get very frustrated that I can't do what I want to. Unlike you I am not a great one for exercise although I did do Pilate's and aqua-robics- every week and do miss them. They do say that fatigue is helped by exercise and perhaps if you continue with gentle exercise everyday this will help. Get a good pedometer if you do not already have one to keep check on your progress. importantly - listen to your body and rest when you feel tired . As you have found after a day of activity you end up exhausted so go with the flow and rest. McMillan do a good boolet about Fatigue, I got mine at the chemo unit.

I was lucky that my bloods stayed good throughout chemo and did not need injections to boost cells. The nurse told me this was because I had a good diet !! Ate lots of protein especially eggs and cheese.

Try to keep a positive attitude - all medical staff I have had contact with have said that it really helps ladies cope with treatment and I do agree.

Build in little treats and outings for the week before your next treatment so you have something to look forward to.

Accept all the help offered to conserve your energy.

Incidentally  I used the cold cap as my chemo was one that was suitable and kept nearly all of my hair (even had it cut twice during treatment) This was a real boost for me as I lost all of hair 6 years ago  on first dx. I felt 6 days of discomfort was a good trade off for 6 months without hair. Worth considering

Good luck with your treatment.  Marli xx

TartanTottie

Hi Diane, im exactly 2 weeks post op today, really struggling with the tiredness, I wanted to be super strong before starting chemo. Good luck for trying a run, please take care and don't push yourself to hard. My GP said tiredness can last up to several weeks, I have no patience or time to be ill! I'll maybe try a walk today. Has your tiredness improved at all each day a little bit more? I had a great day yesterday, cleaned, hoovered, ironed ...today I'm paying the price abd can't move! xx

Any other members out there...Please let us have some tips on how to regain energy, strength and be fit for commencing chemo?

x

diane10

Hi, I am nearly 5 weeks post op and still suffering with tiredness an other minor niggles - I am a keen runner and really struggling too with my inactivity - see all my buddies running their races and I just want to cry...am hoping to go out for a little run tonight and going to see how I get on at parkrun at the weekend, hoping it will help with the tiredness issues

Sarahd-1

If you are willing to share tips how you get through I would be really grateful xxxx
Sarahd-1

Hi Hopefulholly Im so pleased that you posted this on here as like you havent been as active as i once was and I smoke I have just attempted again today to stop and I also like the odd glass of wine here and there and so pleased to hear that you are coping. Thank you for sharing this information.xxxxxxxx
hopefulholly

Hi Tartan Tottie, I'm having a BCC forum evening (I lead an exciting life!) and just came across your post. 

I'm not the best person to reply as I'm not active, have not been active for a few years, smoke (first time I've admitted that on here but I do plan to stop!) and enjoy a glass or two of red, white and rose wine. I just wanted you to know that like you, I had lumpectomy then surgery for lymph node clearance. I'm half way through my chemo regimen (3 FEC followed by 3 T) and have coped really well to date. So if I can manage, you can too.

I'm sure others, who are more qualified than I, will reply with useful tips for preparation so I'll leave that to them. Also check out the top tips for chemo and don't forget none of us have all the side effects. Good luck x

Sam_BCC

Hi TartanTottie

Whilst you are waiting for the the other users to reply with their support you might find it helfpul to read through some of the posts on the thread 'Top tips to help you through chemo'.  There is lots of information here which has been posted by members who have expereienced chemotherapy.  If you would like to read this I have included the link below-

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/t...

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

TartanTottie

"Preparing" for Chemo

HI All, I'm 13 days post op, lumpectomy and axillary node clearance.  I will be starting chemo in September.  What all can I do to get myself stronger and fit for harsh chemo?  I take vit c, zinc and going to start including a multi vitamin.  Really missing body pump and my running/cycling and not feeling physically (or mentally) strong or fit at the moment.  I eat well and love a good glass of red wine 🙂 (for iron purposes of course though 🙂 )  Still recuperating from op and still super tired?

Thanks.