cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

radio therapy starts today

4 REPLIES 4
Atat

Re: radio therapy starts today

Bionsen is one of recommended deordorants - roll on, not aerosol. Check with own dept tho
Atat
hattysue

Thank you Mary. You have put my mind at rest. I well drink plenty of water. No cream given so I am using E 45 for now.
thanks Suex
SB

Hi Hattysue,

Radiation is not easy on the body overall eventhough it's limited to the breast area. It has a catabolic effect which means it destroys cells and tissues - bad as well as good ones! Don't worry cells do build up and rejuvinate.  However, this takes time.  You can help the cell building process by drinking plenty of water and eating a high protien diet.  My doctor advised me to stay well hyderated (up to three litres a day) as water helps to detoxify the system - all the cells that are broken down by radiation are flushed out when you drink water.  Water also keeps the skin healthy which would lessen the "sun burn" sensation.  You need to apply whatever cream your doctor has prescribed.  Use a mild soap and no deodorant for the duration of the treatment. 

Driving is not an issue.  I drive myself to the sessions and then head straight to the office!  You might feel a bit tired as the treatment progresses but if you eat and sleep well, you should be OK.  Excercise does help a lot.

So don't worry.  You'll be just fine.

All the best!

mary32

Hi Hattie

The side effects can vary but expect to get red over the area after a few days and I also got little red dots allover it. It can get sore, I think this is a particular issue for larger breasted ladies under the breast. My wle and snb scars also got burned a little towards the end.

I didn't have a problem with driving but mine was right side so the seat belt was not an issue.

You can get tired towards the end but don't assume you will get the fatigue that is talked about post treatment, I did get tired but it was manageable.

Most important - moisturize! Different hospitals recommend different creams, mine said to use doublebase cream which I applied several times a day and they also say not to use deodorant or perfumed bath products.

I found that getting some exercise also helped a lot, even though I didn't feel like it a lot of the time. 

Be prepared for some waiting around as well, although the treatment itself only takes minutes there is often delays and sometimes the machines break down. I wore those little vests with the built in bra thingy so I only needed to pull it down once I got to the machine.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Mary

hattysue

radio therapy starts today

Hi I had my first appointment yesterday and was lined up on the linac machine. My first treatment is this afternoon. I was told to hydrate by drinking lots of water, can anyone tell me what the
side effects really are. I have been advised not to drive...