cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

radiotherapy

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted

Re: radiotherapy

At least you get to enjoy Christmas Nikki, hope I am the same.
Haven't started tamoxifen yet, , something is holding me back, cancer nurse told me there is no rush, take them when I am ready.
Highlighted

Had my CT scan and my 3 little dot tattoos. I have an appointment on the 23rd Dec for a lymphadema check and then start my rads on the 29th... going to be a long January!!! Can relax for a few weeks now and enjoy Christmas. 

Jenny how is the taxmoxifen going?

Highlighted

Jenny, yes thats what I am having, he showed me a picture, like a donut lol. He said I am having the extra because the lump was very close to my chest muscle so needs an extra boost..or something like that. I will ask again on Friday as so much info given, I get confused!
Highlighted

Nikki I thought I was bad getting 19 rads, most women get 15, did they say why you get extra.
If its the same C.T scan I have had before its like a donut, its the only way I can describe it, nothing to it, its the fear of the unknown.
Highlighted

Hi Cesrabbit,

I started anastrozole 4 weeks before rads and continued to take it for 3 weeks during rads (Seven weeks in all) When I told my oncologist about my hair thinning (It was coming out a lot every time I brushed it) she told me to stop taking it for a month, which I did. She wanted me to see how things went for a month and then decide whether or not to go back on it or try tamoxifen.  I decided to go back on anastrozole after the months break because I did not fancy taking tamoxifen and my bone scan showed that my bone density was normal.  My hairdresser reassured me that my hair had not really gone noticeably thinner and that it could have been caused by the stress of diagnosis and the fact that my daughter lost a baby at the same time as my diagnosis so I had two traumas going on at the same time.  I have been back on anastrozole for 3 weeks now and I am hoping that I will be ok on them because 5 years is a very long time.  I have also been given Adcal to take but I only take one a day because if I take 2 I get constipated.  Oh! the joys of it all. lol. Eileen.

Highlighted

20 sessions of Rads :(. I have a CT scan on Friday then they will give me start date. ASAP they say but will be over Christmas. Only shut Christmas day. What is the CT scan like? never had one before. 

Highlighted

Hi. It varies for us all. I waited 6 weeks from diagnosis to op then 13 weeks from op to rads. So busy as the hospital had been overwhelmed with BC cases this year - interesting!! Eileen. I'm on Anastrozole and apart from initial hair thinning, I have no other symptoms after 3 months. Maybe I'm lucky! Do have thinning bones though, so am on Adcal.
Highlighted

Hi Nikki, we will definitely be going through rads together, just a pity you are in the south and I am in Scotland.
Thankfully I read your message about taking tamoxifen at night, so I am just about to take it with trepidation! ! Let me know how you get on tomorrow. Hopefully you only need 15 sessions.
Highlighted

Jenny, Glad you know what is happening now. In a way I will be glad when tomorrow is over and know the new plan of action. I started Tamoxifen 2 weeks ago. He put me on 40mg... Nightmare after a couple of days..no sleep, just one hot flush after another, I thought I was going to explode!  I took them in a morning hoping by night I would be better but hat didn't work. I have had to lower the dose to 20mg. Even the pharmacist was shocked at 40mg. I take it before bed and its so much better. Maybe one or 2 in the night, I can cope with that...We might be starting Rads together.

Gill, keep on going..it will be over soon xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies
I have to have an extra 4 sessions of radiotherapy as some cancer cells were found outside the lymph glands although lymph nodes are free off cancer, I have 1st appointment next week for C.T scan then to start radiotherapy in 2 to 3 wks, just in time for Christmas, when you only get that day off.
Anyone taking Tamoxifen? I start it tonight, , interested in yr comments.
Highlighted

Hi, nickif

It's getting to me now, 8 days done & feeling weary with 7 still to go!

I have to really grit my teeth when I get off the bus and walk up the hill to the hospital now - can't do it in one at the moment, have to stop halfway ... 😞

Highlighted

Hi ladies,

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.  It does all seem to happen so quickly at the beginning and it is so scary.  One day you are leading a normal life and the next day life is as scary as it can get.  It all happens so quickly in the first few weeks.  I came back from holiday on a Sunday to a recall letter for another mammogram the very next day. Four days later I got my results and the surgeon wanted to operate 3 days later.  I decided to put it back for another week because I just couldn't get my head around it and I needed time to sort things out.  I had my first op 2 weeks after the mammogram and the second one three weeks later to clear the margins.  After that life went back to normal slowly apart from check up appointments and 10 weeks later I had rads which went well and now the only reminder of it all is a scar and the fact that I have to take anastrozole for 5 years.  Are any of you ladies taking anastrozole and if you are how are you doing with it?

Eileen.

Highlighted

Wow that was quick. I found lump and 4 weeks later I was having my Op, I thought that was fast! I then had 2 weeks to see my consultant with the results of Op and treatment plan, then 2 more weeks to see oncologist. 

Eileen, thanks for the message, makes me feel a bit better about it.

Gill you must be exausted with all the travelling!

Highlighted

Thanks Gill and hope you keep well too.
Highlighted

Goodness, Jenny - that's all happened really fast for you, too fast to take in and get your head around so you're bound to have a lot of questions at the moment.

I had my usual mammagram check on July 15th and had a letter the week later with an appointment at the Breast Care Centre in Brighton the week later as they'd found a lump. Having the ultrasound scan and biopsy was scary, and I had to wait 2 weeks for the results - which was an absolute nightmare. The cancer was confirmed on August 12th - 11mm grade 2, invasive lobular - and I had wide excision, wire-guided surgery on September 9th. I didn't see the Oncologist until the end of last month, and am now taking Anastrasol for 5 years. I did ask about patient transport, but I'm not eligible as I don't have mobility problems so I go by bus - 2 each way and takes around 4 hours in total.    

I hope you start your sessions soon, best of luck and stay positive ...

Gill

x

Highlighted

Thank you Eileen, your message has really cheered me up as I have been so scared and anxious about this, I was only diagnosed 3wks ago and had surgery over a week ago, it is all so quick, I haven't had time to digest a lot of what I was told but all your messages today has helped and I may be able to sleep tonight!
Like you Eileen I look after my grandaughter who lives next door and need to get well for her.I hope you continue to keep well.
Highlighted

Hi ladies,

I am hoping that telling you about my experiences with rads will help you to feel less anxious.  I had 15 sessions of rads which I finished on the 5th October.  I can honestly say that I need not have worried so much as it really was not as I had feared and I only had a very slightly pink boob at the end of the 15 sessions.  I used E45 cream three times a day for a week before I started rads and carried on using it for 4 weeks after in the morning and after a shower.  I used simple shower gel and was careful not to rub my skin too much when I was getting dry.  It does get a bit of a bore having to go to the hospital every day but everyone was lovely and explained everything as they went along and it really is nothing to be scared about as it is totally painless and only takes about 10-15 minutes per session.  

I started my rads 10 weeks after my second operation - I didn't get clear margins the first time around which upset me a bit.

I think that I have been lucky and have never felt the tiredness that some ladies feel but I am retired and can more or less do what I want but I still managed to look after my grandchildren and carry on a normal life throughout it all.  

Here's wishing you ladies still going through or waiting to start rads all the best - it will soon be done with.

Eileen

Highlighted

Thanks Nikif,don't know how you can work with all this going on, thanks for yr reply and keep well.
Highlighted

Hi Jenny,

I go on Wed for my oncologist appointment about my Rads.. starting to feel a bit nervous now..and wondering how the Hell Im going to fit it in with work and school runs etc. I had my op on the 5th November. I have started on my Tamoxifen. I was put on 40mg but that was a nightmare so I have halved my dose. I don't know why I was put on such a high dose in the first place, I will aske them on Wed. I was taking in the morning thinking it would be better at night but it was awful, now taking them before bed and its so much better. 

Lets hope we go through this OK and ill meet you in the Dec Rad thread 😄

Nicki

Highlighted

Thank you Gill for replying so quickly, I only joined the forum this morning, so amazed I had 2 replys already.
I had my surgey on the 16th, how long after seeing oncologist did you start radiotherapy?
Do you also use the volunteer drivers from C.C?
Sorry for all the questions, I was only told yesterday what was going to happen and you don't take it all in.
I wish I was at your stage in treatment, can I also ask if you will be receiving any Tamoxifen as I have to take this too for 5yrs.
Highlighted

Thank you so much for replying quickly, I only joined the forum this morning after speaking to
A cancer care nurse, I don't know about you but I felt so alone in all this and have to realise sooo many women are dealing with this too.
I wish you well and thanks again.
Highlighted

Hi Jenny. I finished radiotherapy in September and also had 15 sessions. You have a planning session first where they mark you with 3 or 4 tiny tattoos so they can get the exact position every time you have a radiotherapy treatment. I was lucky in that I didn't have any skin problems, although it's very common. There's a thread called 'DECEMBER rads' you can join, where you will get lots of support and advice from ladies who are having treatment at the same time. We all feel nervous at the start - it's fear of the unknown really. Once you have your treatment plan hopefully you will feel better xx

Highlighted

Hello there,

I know how you must be feeling and can sympathise with your anxieties, I felt the same before I started my 15 sessions of Radiotherapy on the 19th, so am now about halfway through - 7 down & 8 to go. Everything will be explained to you before you start your sessions, which don't take any longer than 15-20 minutes. I must admit I'm not enjoying the travelling to and from the hospital - the Royal Sussex County in Brighton - from my home in Hailsham every day, which can be tiring in itself, but I'm used to the routine now. It helps to have someone with you sometimes, but you'll probably see the same people every day doing the same as you, which can help as you start to swap stories about your own cancer journey. I wish you all the best with your treatments, it really isn't anything to worry about - I always tell people I'm at the good end of my journey now and the worst is over ...   

Highlighted

radiotherapy

I see oncologist on tues to find out when I start my treatment, I know I have to have radiotherapy every day for 3wks.
Anyone who has been here will know how nervous I am feeling, any help would be appreciated.