reassurance on breast reduction

Hi Ladies,
I’ve just come back from appointment with plastic surgeon to talk about breast reduction on my good side after reconstruction on my other side 12 months ago. i’m excited as i am now on the waiting list which is great. But…just felt a bit scared after the “what could go wrong” lecture!!
Anyone out there give me some good stories on breast reduction, scaring, nipple sensation etc and recovery time.

Thanks
Marg xxx

Hi Marg

I had my breast reduction about six weeks ago and it looks beautifully balanced, my nipple is fine the sensation is now normal and I am really pleased with the appearance.

But there is always a but, the larger of my scars hasn’t healed very well and I think is going to remain quite ugly but fortunately it is under my breast and you can’t see it when looking in the mirror. For a couple of weeks I was beginning to wonder why I had put my self through it, but now I am really pleased.

Merlyn

I had a reduction/lift of the good breast as the same time as a nipple reconstruction by nipple sharing. I was delighted with the result. I had a pretty well matching pair of breasts which didn’t sag at all. The scarring on my good breast faded more quickly than on the other breast. I don’t think you’d realise it had been operated on if you didn’t know!

Hi Marg

Just to echo the last couple of posts and to offer reassurance.

I had a reduction on one breast at the same time as mastectomy and reconstruction on the other. Compared to the recon, the reduction was a breeze - no pain, nipple is absolutely fine and has normal sensation and the breast shape is great. No problems at all with the scar (I have only one fairly small scar running vertically down from the nipple). The funniest thing was straight after the op at the stage they call the ‘upside down breast’ when the nipple seemed to be staring at me it was so high! However, this was deliberate and over a couple of months the breast settled into its permanent shape.

Good luck!

Lizzie

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. i don’t think friends and family can understand why you want to go through with more surgery. But its so important now i’ve started the process to finish it. looking forward to getting a date will let you know how i go on.
marg xxx