Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recently had a mastectomy waiting for histology results

7 REPLIES 7
Lucy_BCC

Re: recently had a mastectomy waiting for histology results

Hi mazrid

I am posting a link to the BCC 'Understanding your pathology report' which may be of some help to you:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/understanding-your-patholog...

Take care
Lucy BCC

mazrid

Hi,

I got my results on wednesday, my cancer is ductal invasive 1 lump grade 2 and 1 lump grade 3 they are hormone receptor positive and HER-2 positive, I also had 2 lymph nodes taken the closest tested positive the next negative I have an 18% risk of other nodes being affected so I needed to choose wether I had a whole lymph node clearance or go for treatment I have chosen treatment but now need to wait 6-8 weeks for an oncologist appointment which is when treatment etc will be discussed I have been left pretty confused and feel none the wiser x

mazrid

I agree the waiting is the worst I have no idea what will happen but if I am honest I'm hoping for chemo I want to kick it's butt the best I can I will give it my all I'm finding it difficult at times keeping things normal for my girls but they are my medicine fingers crossed we don't have to wait much longer x
Rodent

There are so many young women being diagnosed and so many have amazing outcomes so firstly, try not to think of the worst. I know it's hard. But if you had mx first and they only took 2 nodes that's a good start.

I'm 33, diagnosed a month before my daughters 1st birthday and had a lump too big to operate on, I had chemo first, last one tomorrow, double mx 6th Nov.

If you have to have chemo, think of it as the best protection against the cancer, it's not all bad, I worked throughout and kept everything going with my daughter as normal so it can be done.

The waiting is the worst bit, once you start any treatment you can plan round it.

Good luck.
hopalong

Hi My mastectomy was the same week as yours and I too am waiting for my histology report, was phoned on Friday to say they were not available for this weeks MDT so I will have to wait another week. There is not much I can say to help other than we must be patient and take each day as it comes. I think the waiting is the worst part as I need to know whats happening in order to feel in control. Take care and hope we dont both have too long a wait to find out what the next stage is. I know I will have to have tamoxifen but other than that I am in the dark.

mazrid

Thank you it's helpful to know i'm not alone x

Jo_BCC

Hi Mazrid

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site who I am sure will be along soon to help.

If there is anything you need to know, just ask there's always someone to help, plus our helpline team are just a free phone call away 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

mazrid

recently had a mastectomy waiting for histology results

Hi I'm new to all of this so please bare with me!

I am 39 with 3 young daughters who are 9,7 & almost 4

I knew there was something odd for a wee while however in July I decided I should go and see my Dr to cut a long story short the 2nd Dr I seen 2 weeks later fortunately referred me, 2 weeks later I had a mammogram, ultra sound and 2 biopsies taken we went on holiday for 1 week and returned for results when we returned home to be told I had breast cancer and needed a mastectomy. I had my op on the 25th September and also 2 lymph nodes taken for testing (they said my scan etc had shown no signs of cancer but they would take the closest ones to test), I am now waiting for my histology results and to be honest I don't know what to think even though I had biopsies etc I never expected this outcome I am scared to think of the future