Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reconstruction after radiotherapy

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: reconstruction after radiotherapy

hi ellie28 i had recon 3 weeks ago today and all for the same reason's , i went on hols last yr and that's when i decided it was recon for me . i had the back flap op and all is well today I'm over the moon with it and i feel fantastic
You will know in your heart if its the right thing to do and yes i had chemo and radiotherapy last yr
sue

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks ladies for your remarks and I have now decided to ask my consultant the question.
I have to admit I am worried about such a long op at my age but I am fit and healthyish.
I was concerned that the appearance of the new breast when wearing a swimsuit would be worse than the prosthesis, that the scar would be very visible and I would be back to square one, that is , constantly putting my hand up to my 'cleavage' so people couldn't see my 'falsie' At first I thought I was being vain but now I know I'm not. I just want the opportunity to have two breasts again.
My husband is great and will support me whatever I decide, he always makes me feel good.

Maggierg

Hi Ellie, I am 64 and have just had a tram recon 2 yrs after dx, mx, chemo, radio and Herceptin. Was due to have diep but my blood vessels weren't good enough. I was a bit worried about having such major surgery at my age, and how that would affect recovery, but the results are fantastic. Nearly 4 weeks on, I am recovering fine and considering returning to work in 2 weeks time.

Good luck whatever you decide. Maggie

jojo22

Hi Ellie,

I too had a diep op about 4 months after I had completed chemo and radio, I was introduced to a lady who was in her 60's who had had the diep operation, she showed me her new breast and it was amazing, she looked fabulous, in fact it was so good I travelled to London to use the same surgeon.

As Vanessa said it is a major operation and you will need to talk through your options with a plastic surgeon, its not suitable for everyone.

Good luck

Jo

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ellie I just had my reconstruction, 12 days ago. One year after my mastectomy. I had chemo oct 07 - feb 08, radiotherapy feb - march. So only six months later I had my lovely new breast. I had a DIEP where they take the fat and skin from your tummy and micro stitch it onto your chest. The result is wonderful and it's hard to believe I was totally flat on that side before. It is a big decision and big operation to go through when you have reconstruction. Consider your options carefully and choose what is right for you. Lots of advice on here to help you though Ellie.
Good luck in your deciding and good for you girl.
love Vanessa

ForumMember

Hi Ellie and welcome to the BCC forums,

I am posting a link to a BCC publication about breast reconstruction which you may find helpful to read, you can read it via the following link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/breast_reconstruction_dec06_web_0.pdf

You are also welcome to call our confidential helpline if you need any further support and information on 0808 800 6000, it's open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

reconstruction after radiotherapy

I am 63 and am 4 years post mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy.
Have just been on holiday to the Maldives and have never felt so strong the urge to have reconstructive surgery.
Has anyone out there had reconstruction after radio and so long after and what method was used?