reconstruction options

I have been given 2 options for reconstruction and wondered if anyone had any experience of either pedicle TRAM flap or back flap with implant? were you happy with the results? were there complications?
I am currently waiting on results of a biopsy for secondary cancer so all of these decisions could be pushed to the side. Anyway would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience of reconstruction

Hi

I had LD flap but no implant on 12th Nov. Recovered well and love it great having a cleavage again. going for 1st lot of lipo fill on 20th May.

When I was dx with IBC. my CT scan showed up a suspecious spot on my liver. No sign since although I have cysts and gall stones! Had chemo before mx then rads. Because of this I’ve been on herceptin ever since. I’ve since found out that one consultant thought it was spread, my onc wasn’t sure and as there has been no sign of it since the jurys still out! I rather er on the side of caution! Herceptin at home once every 3 weeks for 2 hours is a small price to pay!

Just thought I’d mention it as 1, I still had mx and recon and 2, there are various treatments out there that can keep you in remission or stable for many many years, have a check through the posts on secondary cancer if the results show spread. I will keep fingers crossed that your scans/tests come back clear!

xxxx

hi there housewife 47
i am 5 wks down the line from ld flap reconsetruction on left side. I did think long and hard about which option to go for. Being a bra size 32E / 34DD, meant that if i had a tram flap recon they would of had to use both tram flap muscles. Personaly i found that harder to deal with as for most of my life i have had good control of my stomach muscles and have a flat stomach. With a tram flap they use gauze to ensure against a hernia but you can end up with a pot belly. This was all explained to me by my surgeon ( who by the way is my new hero ). After a lot of research, questions and a few bottles of wine mulling it all over with other half , i decided the LD with implant was the right way to go.
Results are fab, i have had so many nurses doctors and consultants up close and personal to my left breast complimenting on how good it looks. Havent worn a bra since op as they can restrict blood flow but i dont feel bad for it when i go out. In fact only yesterday my surgeon said how good i looked in my jumper. I did get seroma in my back after 2 wks where they took the muscle but its perfectly normal and has just about gone. It did ache a bit but a few paracetomol soon sorted it out and after awhile i forgot it was there ( a v pillow is a must for comfort , you will never want to be without it again). The scar on my back is quite long but it is fading fast and i still wear strappy tops and its not visible ( by the way , strappy stretch tops from primark are great for a bit of support and go under everything). As for cleavage , well when i look down i look no different to how i was before. The only thing missing is the nipple and they will do a tattoo and create a nipple nxt year when everything has settled and i have recovered from chemo.
I hope some of this helps you to make the right choice for you , good luck x

Hi Housewife47

I had right side Tram Flap reconstruction on 14 Dec 2010. I am very pleased with the results I am back to doing everything I did before. Walking dogs for miles, housework, looking after grandchildren, swimming etc. The results look very good and the plastic surgeon is pleased with his work. I maybe feel a little different in the tummy area but nothing much. Feel free to ask any questions.

Take care

Carolyn x

Hi Housewife47,

Best of luck with your results and hope it is good news. Like givli, I too had the ld flap in Feb. this year and have recovered well. Now back to work, attend water aerobics and walking dogs again. I took painkillers too for the first few weeks and had some discomfort until week four with seroma, but after that everything settled and scars healing really well.

Hi girls,
I felt the worst part of the LD recon after initial surgery was the restrictions put on me by the surgery team, bcn and physio. Couldnt drive for six weeks ( tues is 6 wks ) no ironing until wk 4 ( some would say this is a blessing) then only bit at a time and listen to your body and the same with vacuuming and other heavy houshold chores. The advice was be sensible and give it time to heal. This is only what my team told me and i do know that they all vary and have different opinions. Its amazing how quick you can recover and how normal you feel, though thats when you over do it. So like they say, be kind to yourself , give it time .
good luck with results ( hope you dont have to wait too long for them)

xx