what they do with the other side appears to be entirely up to me, but as Im a 40HH im going to look pretty ridiculous if they leave it alone 🙂 The consultant couldnt/didnt want to commit to anything but when i asked it was a case of I could have a reduction, and then maybe if the other one ended up very small I could have an implant possibly or just have a prosthesis to match the other side. I'll just have to wait and see what the surgeon says I think as she'll probably have a rough idea of how big or small it may end up. Id quite like a matching pair if poss! Glad to hear youre recovering physically. I expect the emptional side takes a lot longer! As I left the nurse really stressed that the surgeon im seeing is very good and i googled her and she sounds pretty experienced so fingers crossed x You sound like youre going back to work quite soon? do you think you'll be ready? x
Hi there x Im ok thanks...saw original consultant this morning but he couldnt really answer any of the questions I had, I need to wait and see the surgeon on the 26th May. The op they have in mind is something called the 'goldilocks' procedure but the surgeon is supposed to be very good. Theyve pencilled me in with a date for the 10th june so at least I have a date and once ive seen the surgeon I'll know exactly what op I'll be having etc. How are you getting on x Karen x
Thank you all so much for your replies. I have invasive lobular in the right breast, 3 separate tumours in different places and a fair space apart. When I saw the main breast consultant he did say I could go for breast conserving surgery but agreed that in light of the area affected it was a good decision to go for a full mastectomy with recon after. From what Ive read, invasive lobular can be difficult to detect in the very early stages which is why I am so worried about leaving anything behind. I suppose I also felt that taking it all and starting from scratch would be easier to build a new one rather than trying to cobble together what may be left! But Im no expert and all sorts of images run through your head dont they! My weight was an issue from the start, in as much as I wouldnt be able to have my op at my local site of hospital, and would have to go to the london branch as they had a high dependancy unit. Im just frustrated that if my surgeon was nervous pre bundle branch being detected and that it wasnt the right op for me (I was told it would take about 10 hours as they were going to try and reduce the other side at the same time), then if other options had been given to me at the beginning it may all be over by now. Obviously dealing with a much shorter op (new option he quoted me as 4 hours ish) and a shorter stay in hospital, then it may have been easier to have had me in much quicker. Maybe im over thinking! MrsGoggins...I could get the whole of WH Smith under mine at the moment, let alone a pencil case 🙂 I love the idea of not needing to wear a bra...I hate wearing them now. The minute I get home my bra is whipped off! Gilly...I did ring my BC nurse but shes away till the 7th May. Im not even sure if shes my main point of contact. i seem to have so many people involved that Im not sure whos coordinating it all. At the last meeting with my plastic surgeon, he said he was now referring me to another surgeon which I didnt think to ask why. Na123...do they not check margins at the time of the first op? Must be awful to have one op then have to do it all again. I think I need to forget everything Ive been told so far and go in and start from scratch with a clear head and explore all avenues open to me, and just hope it doesnt take forever. Thanks again ladies, this site is a godsend. Best wishes to you all xxx
It is difficult when you're struggling to get answers. One thing i do know around recovery is that it is much slower / problematic with a higher BMI also if you smoke. If both are present recovery is much more difficult. Many surgeons aren't able to discuss this but its a serious risk. My Son is a Renal CNS and there are really strict guidelines around lengthy surgery with raised BMI.
My heart is ok and so far i don;t think it has been affected adversely by the Chemo (Had Neo adjuvant) but i am in negotiation / consultation for DIEP Surgery. My Mastectomy was a third surgery in 5 weeks and lasted 8 hours during which time i was carefully monitored
Maybe this is a concern. Have you got a Breast Care Nurse that may be able to act as a link and get you some more information and possibly look at all options avaialable.
Wishing you well and hope you get some answers. Take Care Gilly x
So sorry to hear that you had that disappointing (understatement I know) situation of a cancelled op. I just wanted to reassure you that I have Coronary Disease and my vulnerabilities were overcome to undergo a long op. The op I had also may be an option for you if you can overcome the thought of needing a mx to rid yourself of the nasties. I noted you said you are overweight, which I am too and for the first time in my life has been a blessing. I was offered breast conserving surgery but as a Therapeutic Mammoplasty so both breasts are vastly and I mean vastly reduced, all nasties removed with enormous margins and now undergoing rads and then hormones. Apparently one of the benefits is that as there so much less tissue left in the good breast it just might reduce the chances of it developing there. I am so pleased with the results that I quite forgot all the heart stuff and worries about not getting clearance! I now do not need to wear a bra, just a crop top and can no longer hold my pencil case under my breasts!!!
I was also blessed with a wonderful surgeon and onc which makes like so much more reassuring.
Warm wishes for whatever you choose.
Hi Kitten, I have no idea. I came out of that appt and have ended up with more questions than answers. I need to write them all down now before i forget them. He said the new one would be small and then said it would need more surgery anyway to improve shape and then mentioned filling it with more fat with elsewhere and that I could still have the diep further down the line when i was less risky. It threw me a bit going to see him then him suddenly presenting me with new options when Id been so geared up for something else! xx
There is nothing worse than having an op cancelled at such short notice, that is horrible news. I have never heard of fat of this kind being used before either and find it a strange option. You did say you are overweight so why does he not want to use it straight from elsewhere on your body, where you will have peace of mind as to its origin! Let us know what happens and stay strong
K M x
Hi Na123, I was actually all prepped in the anaesthetic room about to be wheeled into theatre when my ecg showed a left bundle branch blockage. Ive had 2 echos, a perfusion scan and a stress test and there does not seem to be any underlying cause and the cardiologist has given the go ahead for surgery saying my risks are normal or just slightly increased. Its intermittent as it has never shown up on anything before and after 5 minutes my heart went back into sinus rhythm. I am quite overweight too which doesnt help! I just feel really frustrated. My surgeon yesterday said he had been 'nervous' about doing the big op (not that reassuring seeing as I was literally on the table before the heart blip was even noticed) but when I first went that was the op presented to me, i didnt ask for it and I was the same size. the orignal target for my surgery they had to meet has now been missed and I do worry that I am now at the back of the queue whilst they concentrate on the new targets. My goal posts seem to be constantly moving and other options werent discussed with me at the beginning. Im worried sick now about whats going on inside and I know google is not always a good idea, but I do like to know stuff and I just cant find anything on the option using existing fat from the cancerous breast. I fear this is going to be a very long journey! xx
Hi all, I was due to have a mx with diep recon but my ecg showed an irreular heartbeat so op was cancelled. Saw my surgeon yesterday and he proposed 2 'safer' options for me. One was a breast conserving op, taking out the tumourous tissue but I never wanted that from the start as I dont think I could trust what they left. The second option he gave me was to remove all the tissue but keep the fat and use that to mould a new shape (albeit a small one depending on how much fat was there). Im concerned about keeping anything from the cancerous breast although he said the fat would not be cancerous but this is not something Ive read about and I cant find anything about this procedure at all? I can find stuff about using fat from other parts of the body. Has anyone had this/heard of it?? 4 months on from finding cancer and I feel Im no further forward at all. Depressing!