reconstruction with bone secondaries

Hi anyone out there, I am fairly new to this but it seems an excellent plkace to get advice! Six years ago I had a mastectomy the usual follow up treatments the TRAM reconsruction. Last year I had another mastectomy for another primary lobular carcinoma. Six months ago bone mets where picked up on a DEXA.
I am very well, no pain, tumour markers normal. Today I asked my oncologist about reconstruction and he nearly fell off his chair. He did eventually concede that given my current stable health I could be in the percentage of women who do live longer than 3 years after diagnosis.He reckons though he doesn’t know of any women who have had reconstruction with known secondary disease. Does anybody else?

really need to check my spellings before I press submit!

Can’t help with the reconstruction question but am curious about your bone secondaries being picked up on a dexa scan. Is this the scan that detects bone density? I thought it wasn’t possible for bone mets to be picked up through this type of scan. I had one recently and it came back that I had osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis, but was worried that it was something else at first, mets being the obvious one.

Hi Kristine, I had a mastectomy in May this year and was offered thisoption as I was diagnosed last year in June and secondaries in bones. I have been advised that I can have reconstruction next year which will be 12 months after my treatment. Hope this helps and you get what you want xxx

Thankyou. Thats helpful. Take care and good luck xxx

Just found this thread. I am in exactly the same position. Found I had got bone secondaries after mx, chemo and rad. At the time of my mx, i did say that i wanted a reconstruction and then after the news that it had spread, i didnt think i would be able to have one.

Just one question, if anyone knows, will having a reconstruction make it spread and then end up worse off, if you have bone secondaries?
thanks all

Hi all,

I was very interested to come across this tread. I have bone mets, right from the start 16 months ago. However my original breast consultant has put me through for a reconstruction, referred me to a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon referred me to a multi dicipline meeting to discuss my case and I have an appointment to go and see him again in January. I don’t know what he will say but just because you have bone mets it doesn’t seem to exclude you from such reconstructive surgery, or should I say being put forward for it. Will let you know what the decision is.

Myfanwy

I’m having a second mx at the end of Jan, all being well, but not reconstruction. Asked my surgeon if he would do it to balance me up and hopefully it may improve my posture and take some of the pressure off my spine as it’s ‘collapsing’ that way. As my bone mets are stable and I have had the mets since primary diagnosis in July 07, he is happy to do it so I am looking forward to it being sorted! I am aware that some surgeons won’t do any surgery unless it’s absolutely necessary for secondaries ladies though. Fortunately my surgeon seems to work on the basis that the mental well-being and feeling of patients is paramount.

I hope you all manage to get what you want, when you want it.

Liz

Myfanwy and lizcat, please let me know how you get on. I would prefer to have a reconstruction, if i could, but if not, i was thinking about a second mx as i so hate being so lopsided without a bra. My bra is so heavy! i absolutely hate it.
xxx

hi
just ‘bumping’ this thread. Does anyone have any updates or any more info? I have not approached my onc about this yet.
thanks xx

Hi everyone , haven’t been on here for ages. I had a very positive response from Plastic Surgeon and my Onc, who was initially very suprised I requested a reconstruction " I wouldn’t recommend it to a woman in your situation " Silly Man, actually seems to have adjusted his thinking. I haven’t actually gone for it yet, somehow obstacles being removed has settled me down a bit and I’m still thinking about it. But the message is don’t be deterred by doctors preconceptions, go for what you feel is right for you.