recronsruction for or against

recronsruction for or against

recronsruction for or against I would welcome everyone’s views on reconstructive surgery. I had mastectomy Sept 05 followed by chemo and now on herceptin for 1 year. Didn’t consider reconstruction at all but now finding buying clothes depressing - want a cleavage - holiday wasn’t too good either with prosthesis - views would be welcomed regarding for or agaings
Thanks

it depends on what type of surgery is involved, for me I was fortunate to not have rads so I have opted for the becker implant to “grow one” rather than face major surgery and am hoping for this to be started in nov but I suppose if I didnt have that choice I may have gone for other surgery, I know its a hard thing to do but some women manage to live without surgery .
It really is down to what you can cope with I must admit that with clothes on I look no different to what ~I used to but I feel it more when I am buying underwear as I have to take into account what I cannot wear.
I know that there is a good thread going on the reconstruction site so maybe you could post there as a lot of women are going through or have had recon done so maybee they can give a better view.
whatever you decide you will get plenty of support form us here so good luck.
Culkie

Worth thinking about Hello Clemy

It really is down to what you want and nobody else counts. When I was diagnosed with a recurrence after 20 years last November and was told I would need a mastectomy I immediately asked could I have reconstruction at the same time. I knew I would not be able to have radiotherapy again.

I had muscle and tissues together with skin and blood vessels taken from my back, to reconstruct my breast, sounds horrific, but in reality its not, hand on heart it wasn’t at all painful.

I don’t regret that decision one bit and would make the same one again, but hoping I don’t have to.

Whatever you do, do it for you, I did, we have to live with our bodies 24/7 so it doesnt matter what anybody else thinks.

Obviously you would need to talk to your consultant and discuss the best option for you, but for me it was the right thing to do.

Good luck.

Jan

I