reducing healthy breast

Hi, Has anyone decided not to have reconstruction but had a reduction on their healthy breast? I am quite large chested and am contemplating just a major reduction so that i am not so lop-sided as i dont fancy any of the reconstructions and i really think i could live happily without one x thanks

This really appeals to me! I had left mx 17 months ago and this was never mentioned. I was offered the diep option which surgeon said was gold standard but I turned it down as I was rather scared of the length plus longer recovery time. Have you been offered this? It sounds a really good option.

I have been offered a Diep with a reduction on the other side done at the same time.

The surgeon said I had enough tummy to make me a C cup, possibly a D. I am an FF-G cup and I’m really scared of the size difference, so much so I am changing my mind everyday even though I have a date for surgery already. 

I am really frightened. It’s such a big operation to go through and although I know I would rather have something there than nothing I’m worried how I will mentally cope with such a dramatic size difference.

I feel so ungrateful too. People keep telling me to go with my gut instinct but the only one I have is to find a cave, stick my fingers in my ears and scream.

Hi all

Hi Traceyfizz, I have been thinking about you a lot. I wish I had been so confident about choices and accepting no reconstruction. Have you had any more thoughts or chances to proceed with a reduction? 

I just thought I’d let you know, after torturing myself with this day and night and slowly going crazy I finally reached a decission. I cancelled the DIEP this week and have asked for them to take the healthy breast too and have implants on both sides. I’ll still be smaller but I can imagine more how it will look. But the main reason is for my 3 year old child. I found out there was some disease in one node and I want sooo much to see him grow up. Plus it’s one night locally in hospital and a much shorter recovery. i’m hoping to be able to run around with him a little before chemo starts.

Anyway, I’m sorry I crashed your thread. I hope all continues to go well for you and you make the right choice for you. Thank you.

x

Hi , Jokely nice to hear from you , its soooo difficult trying to make the right decision at the moment still trying to get over my anc clearance which has left what only looks like a hard disfigured mound i had no idea that further surgery might be required if choosing not to have a recon to tidy up the original op lol . My healthy breast needs reducing considerably so what i do with my other side is still a mystery to me , if i could just have the implant i might consider it as i cannot face any of the other procedures failing that a tidy up might just do it , Youre making the right decisions for you and your family i think deep down we know what we want , good luck with your chemo i am waiting for my 1st onc meeting in a couple of weeks xx

I was so thankfully i agreed to have my healthy breast reduced at the same time they removed cancer from my right breast They discovered pre cancer cells so I then had to have chemo after surgery and then radiotherapy However they couldnt do radiotherapy on my left breast with precancer cells because of my heart I had bowel cancer two years ago and it seems the chemo that was used damage my heart 

I was recently tested for BRACA 1 & 2 Thankfully i havent got it but due to my cancer hisstory its been recommended I have both breasts removed.  Its two weeks since the operation so still coming to terms with everything and feeling overwhelmed. The plan is to have reconstruction but need to lose weight first and it wont happen for at least 18 to 20 months. I am finding this frum really helpful and so good that people are not judging each other on the decision they make At the end of the day you have to go with your gut feelings 

I found my lump myself despite going for regular mammogram check ups and we have to get the message out there that you have to touch and feel your breast not just rely on the test! My gut feelings made me get the lump checked out get my other breast reduced as the pre cancer cells didnt show up 

I still have a long way to go but have to keep believing in my gut feelings and very thankful for the amazing medical care i am getting in Sweden They still have problems but all medical teams everywhere are doing their best