cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removal of Drains

12 REPLIES 12
Bobbie1975

Re: removal of Drains

I wasn't either and it hurt more than the "Sharp tug" they warned me about. I don't think they offer a local though as it is quite quick x
Belyra

I had gas&air. Still the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Someone on the same ward had her drains fall out and didn't feel a thing!
valdanne

Mine just fell out! I was so lucky.
jillybee

If you don't have drains you may well have fluid building up,then you will need drains and needles to aspirated.......take some analgesia before you go to your appointment and when and if you do have drains to be removed...can tell you,from exoerience,I would rather have drains then have a build up of fluid and have a large needle put in to withdraw any fluid.😏

jillybee

If you take a deep breath in and exhale slowly,while the nurse remove them you should be fine.A method  I'd I used on myself,and have taken several out on patients when I was nursing.You could take a couple of paracetomol half an hour before your appointment if concerned .I can not imagine the staff would give you anything.....you'll be fine.

riversidedawn

I've had mx and 2 subsequent ops for recon, each time the drain removal was not a problem. Nurse told me to take a deep breath and let out slowly as she took the drain out. Simple! Less pain than the stratch of a needle for bloods.
Tracy Johnston

Hi Deborah,  I just had my mastectomy on Wed 30th Sept with immediate reconstruction.  I came out Thurday and still have my drain (which ive named Dennis because hes always with me !).  I ve had a nightmare with it today becuase I did empty the bag this morning at 10am but stupidly forgot to close and then re-open the right ends, so about 9pm tonight I was feeling dreadful, I looked at the drain and realised what i'd done, i rectified it and felt better 10 mins later !  I'm due at the clinic next thursday, where is they are satisfied with the drainage history for the week, they will remove.  I am hoping that there is going to be some sort of pain relief because I presume its going to sting a little ????

Val235

I was told by a ward helper to ask for gas and air like you have when in labour. So I asked the ward sister was a bit abrupt and said it does not work. Well it did I never felt a thing.

Chaze

Wow I feel your pain. Removing my drain was agony, i nearly fainted. Felt a bit of a woose but find it more painful than the mx pain. Year on now and have forgotten all about it although when I was due to get my permanent silicone implant my first question was "please no drains"  Going for an uplift on my good breast and pray it does not involve drains.😤

rosie14

I found it a relief to get rid of them. A bit like having a plaster ripped off painful but quick - or waxing!!!🙀
jillybee

The best thing is to take a deep breath,then exhale slowly.....while the drains are removed.Didnt cause me any pain....you must have been unlucky.You will know next time......😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Ash66

Hi Deborah

I'm not sure if they ever offer a local. I didn't feel a thing when mine were removed. I was very relieved to get them out as one of mine had dislodged and was touching a nerve.

Sounds like you've been unlucky. Maybe it depends who does it. x
Deborah

removal of Drains

I just had my drains removed following surgery last week and no one had warned me that it would be so painful and I was not offered any local! Should I have been?