results-

I’ve just been to the onc to see about the results re the fluid they removed from my lung when I had my pleuradesis.

Apparently the fluid they removed didn’t have any cancer cells in it which is good news but on the other hand they don’t know what is causing it. When I had the fluid in my left lung tested last year it did have cancer cells in it.

So at the moment they have decided to leave me on the Arimidex and Zoladex and not give me any chemo (which is good) because my liver and lung mets are stable as is the one in my neck.

I have to go back in another 6 weeks so that they can keep a close eye on it.

Also I asked about having a bone scan because I have never had one and the onc was surprised that I havn’t so I am going to have one.

Can anyone tell me what this entails as I have only had CT scan

thanks for listening
Caroline

Hi Caroline

Good news about the results of the test. A relief I’m sure and not having to have any chemo is a bonus too.

Just to answer your question about a bone scan. You have to have a radioactive injection a few hours before they can do the bone scan, can’t remember if it’s 2 or 4 hours, which they give you in your arm (normally). You are (usually) allowed to leave the hospital then go back to have the scan at the time given to you. You have to lie very still on a ‘bed’ over which the scanner passes very slowly - takes about 30 mins. You are not meant to move so the image is clear. I was sure I’d twitch or need to scratch but didn’t. Once the scanner has passed over (from head to knee) you can move that part of the body, and have a chat with the radiologist - which I did. Guidelines ate given with your appointment card but the main one is not to cuddle young children for 24 hours (this is because they are still in a growth stage and not just because they are small as I asked about cuddling my cat!). It’s not claustrophobic as it’s like a big ring you pass through.

Hope this helps and it’s not one of the ‘horrible’ tests where you have to drink disgusting liquids and not eat for hours.

Nicky

No its not one of the horrible ones- its only whaa do you do with the two or three hours after you have had the injection and before you go aback - bring a book!
I actually fell asleep last time,
cathy

Hi

I had bone scan and as the others say, you have an injection about 3 hours before scan and then the scan itself lasts about 40 mins, well mine did, but there were just about to change the equipment to up-to-date model. I had the scan go all way down my front and then under the table and back up to my head. So about 20 mins each side really. No pain at all.

Was told to stay away from pregnant ladies as are radioactive for 24 hours after the injection but apart from that was all ok.

Let us know how you get on and hope all goes ok for you.

Take care
Love
Dawn
xx

Hi Caro

As the others have said, but I had my first bone scan 3 days after having baby - they told me to stay 1 metre away from him for 24 hours after - they also put me in an isolation ward whilst waiting for the scan - in the maternity wing!!!

When I had my 2nd bone scan, I was told that the amount of radioactive stuff is minimal and there were no probs with being with/holding a baby - though I was still wary - I also stayed away from obviously pregnant women.

An old school friend was actually the radiographer - so we spent the time reminiscing!!! :slight_smile: Think it was about 30 mins for the actual scan.
She told me that although they dont want you jumping around, it was ok to move. The scanner takes loads and loads of images and slots them altogether.

Good Luck - catch up with you soon - and please keep us updated

Love Anne xx

Some bone scanners (“gamma cameras”) go quite close to the body, I asked and was told 1 centimetre! Kept my eyes shut! hmmm. Maybe this isn’t true of all equipment so best to ask beforehand, I don’t want to cause unnecessary concern. A good point is that it is q u i e t … no loud clanging and weird noises (that’s a MRI scan).

And I hope you get good results, preferably no evidence of active cancer. Apparently bone scans can show other problems (e.g. arthritis) too.

After having a CT scan this week I remembered that this was the ‘doughnut ring’ and not the bone scanner which, in our hospital, passes very close to your body, ie 1cm away. You do turn you head to one side but as you’re not totally enclosed I didn’t find it claustrophobic, it’s like a large rectangluar plate. It wasn’t over my head for long so I could move when it had passed. Quite peaceful as mrsblue says.

Hope all goes well

Nicky x