retiring on grounds of illhealth

Has anyone retired on grounds of ill health, and how ill do you have to be etc etc/
I have put a request in, but not sure how ill you need to be.
This is my third recurrence, and feel unable to do my job, mentally and physically, I work in Operating Theatres, and just don’t want to be there. This time I have had my armpit removed and mastectomy. but no chemo, which they are saving till later.
I have about 12 years service, and aged 53, 54 in March.
Any views welcome.
Ann

Hi Ann,
I was a senior sister/ward manager and had 21 years service in the NHS. I worked in acute medicine and haematology.I took ill health retirement last March and it was the best thing for me. I know things changed last April and there is now a ‘two tier’ system so I am not sure how it works. You can find out on the NHSPA web site. I retired on psychological and medical grounds. I was 52 when I retired and did not have secondaries. The psychological part was that I had an adjustment disorder and could not cope caring for patients with cancer, patients who were dying , in fact any one that was ill!! The physical part was because I have a small degree of lymphoedema, mainly in my breast and under my arm.
The secret is to get occupational health on your side and all your doctors etc. When I sent in my application I had reports from my occupational therapist, oncologist, lymphoedema nurse and psychologist. I also wrote a report as to how I felt etc. It was stressed that having lymphoedema stopped me being able to nurse effectively and that I was at risk of it becoming worse. My psychologist wrote that it would be detrimental to my mental health if I was to return to work.
I know I was very lucky getting retirement on ill health as I was warned form many people that it was difficult to get. I now work 5 hours a week for the out of hours G.P service which is great. I do not have physical contact with patients, the triage is done via the phone and because you can see on the screen what each call is about, I can more or less select which I take. Also, the money is great and I still feel that I am a nurse! Its a big step but I am so pleased I did it and I feel happier and content.
Best wishes, Jenna

Jenna is right - the NHS now has a 2 tier system for ill health retirement. One for people who are unable to do their job and one for people unable to do any job. Working in HR in the NHS for several years, I have found it difficult to predict who will get it and who won’t, because the decision isn’t taken by your own Trust but by the pensions agency. I haven’t applied because I know there is no reason why I would be unable to do my job, although I have reduced my hours, and I think that the same would apply to quite a lot of people with a primary diagnosis unless there are significant additional reasons. Certainly you need the support of occ health and your own medical team. It sounds as though with this being your 3rd recurrence, it might be worth applying. It doesn’t hurt to try and it is always worth an appeal if you are not successful initially.
Good luck
Anne

Deleted

deleted

Hi All

I have found this thread interesting as I was dx with mets in lung in december. I am at the mo waiting for hr to come back to me with my options. I am leaving any decisions till after my half was scan (am on taxotere) - to see how my cancer is responding but think I am kind of hoping to get retirement on ill health grounds - altho reading this am not gonna hold my breath!!

Take care all
Fiona
xx