cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running on treatment

Runningfree

Re: running on treatment

Dear Argymargy

so good to hear everything went well....keep doing your arm exercises!

I had a Mx ( forgive me if I repeat myself!) so left it a month before running ( trying to be responsible for the first time in my life!!! Lol) and found I settled back into it fine. And you have been running for much longer than me!

what a great dream to have!!

keep in touch

cath

xx

Argymargy

Hello runners!  Just dropped in to say surgery went well and I'm one week post-op, hoping to get my drains taken out today.  About 3 nights ago I had a little dream where I was walking along and broke into a little jog.  It made me laugh when I woke up 🙂

Just re-reading RunningFree's posts here and on her Cardiff half marathon thread gives me so much hope and inspiration, even though it seems a long way off for me to get back to fitness. 

Runningfree

Something good about running in bad weather!!

i did a 5 k prom run yesterday (250 of us!). Still not up to pre BC times but not bad!! AND...

I have just received my special 'sports tit' from the BCN!!

Xx

RunningMum13

3mile run in the sleet today, felt great. Just doubled up on the bra front which felt more comfortable.x

Runningfree

Argymargy

have been thinking of you today

hope all went well

cathx

Argymargy

Thank you very much RunningMum13 and RunningFree.  I went for a last blast 13k yesterday and it felt fantastic!  I think I'm partly trying to convince myself that if I can run that far and it feels so good, the cancer cannot possibly have spread. Smiley LOL

Best of luck and all good wishes to all of you. xx

Runningfree

Argymargy

all the very best for friday

looking forward to seeing you on the other side with your running shoes

love from cath

x

RunningMum13

Emma, I believe you've finished your treatment now? You may not see this if you're out celebrating! Xx

RunningMum13

All the best for Friday ArgyMargy, we'll all come back stronger & even more marvellous than before! Xx

Argymargy

Thank you RoadRunner.  I saw my breast care nurse for the first time this morning and she was totally supportive and helpful about this.  Made me feel so much better!

RoadRunner

Hi Argymargy

Yes, you should keep on running, no matter how slowly, or how short the run.  It will help you get through this.  Hope the surgery goes well on Friday.

Argymargy

Hi everyone I just wanted to say that this thread has made me cry!  I've been running for 6/7 years and love it.  Having Mx on Friday followed by chemo & radio and was thinking I'd have to give up something that's guaranteed to make me feel good.  Your posts have convinced me otherwise!  Thank you all so much.  I had SNB a few weeks ago and went for a run on Sunday for the first time in ages.  Did 13k and felt awesome - I hope to do another one tomorrow as a last blast!

RunningMum13

Running still tricky here due to difficult family circumstances (nightmare teenage son, argh!! his timing is lousy!!). But on the plus side I did go for a 5mile walk with lovely hubby yesterday.

This weekend I WILL RUN! How is everyone else doing? Xx

Runningfree

RunningMum,

I am on the Isle of Man, we tend to be milder than everything around us! Think it must be the sea!!

Although it didn't feel that mild this weekend!

Cath

Xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

RunningMum

Dont worry at least you know I got your reply 🙂

It does seem to be the standard, let us know how you get on and there is loads of good advice on the radiotherapy thread on going through treatment.  If I can answer any questions about rads ask away xx

Helena xxx

RunningMum13

Hi Helena,

Not sure if the 'quick reply' function worked, so apologies if you get this message twice!

Yes I feel like the planning appointment was a positive step closer to full health and fitness. I start my sessions on 9th Feb and finish on 1st March, so 15 in total, seems to be standard from what I've read.xx

RunningMum13

You're right Helena, it feels very positive. I start on 9th Feb until 1st March, so 15 sessions for me.xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

RunningMum

Its great to know that you are moving forward isnt it, just that little apt makes so much difference doesnt it. 

When are you starting rads and how many are you having?

Helena xx

RunningMum13

Well done Emma that's great! and good to hear that you are so close to the end of your treatment. Good to hear that you and LadyB have managed your radiotherapy with minimal discomfort.

I had my planning appointment on Thursday as planned, so are tattooed up and ready to go!

I was planning to run again this weekend, but family circumstances have made it tricky. Roll on those light nights when we have more options to run. Lovely hearing you've been running past daffodils Cath. You're clearly much further south than I am! Xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Emma

Wow only two left we will be ringing the bells for you on Tuesday 🙂

I have had a bit of fatigue since I finished mine on 19 January but nothing that just sitting and having a nap for 10 mins hasnt sorted out, I seem to know when it is going to happen as my shoulders and arms go heavy and then I just drop off.  The skin appears to be holding out well and the area around my nip is improving every day, I am using E45 twice a day and have a polymem strip in the fold under the breast, but to be honest it is more of a "comfort blanket" than anything else, it doesnt appear to be doing any harm so I will carry on with it for the next week.

Probably your walking has helped you against fatigue as they do recommend it, not something I have done this week whilst I have been off, weather has not been too good, but that is more of an excuse than anything 🙂

Helena xx

Runningfree

Emma

Thats absolutely brilliant that you are so close to the end of your radiotherapy.

you sound like you are raring to go.......

The days are getting longer and I jogged past a load of daffodils yesterday!

All the very best and if you get the chance let us know how the running goes!!

Cath

Emma111

Reading your posts inspired me to get my trainers out this morning!! I hadn't run since treatment began in June! I have Mon and Tues left of radiotherapy and no tiredness at all or feeling sore ..... Im aware this may change .... but for now .....my little jog this morning felt great! So glad I kept up my walking throughout treatment as helped maintain my fitness! Want to plan an autumn half now ...... I know emotionally I've many hurdles to cross yet but this really helps by giving me a focus! Thank you for inspiring me to get back out there xx
Runningfree

Dear RunningMum

Thats absolutely brilliant!

I've been out with my running group tonight, lovely clear night.

We are looking at Blackpool towards the end of April to celebrate the end of my year's herceptin! I'll probably aim for the 10 k as it puts less pressure on in terms of training but there is a half marathon......

keep us posted with how you get on

🏃🏃

cath xx

RunningMum13

Hi RoadRunner & RunningFree,

So nice to hear from you both, how amazing are you! Running a half marathon just before your mx, and both of you running throughout your chemotherapy treatment. Celebrating your 10th anniversary with BCC is fantastic RoadRunner!

I did it! In a week of firsts & 4wks after my operation I've been back to my yoga class, returned to work and today done a very steady 2 mile run 🙂 Felt fine just conscious of my surgery, may double up on the bra front next time. Even managed a hill, though to be fair I could have probably walked it quicker, but as all runners know, that's not the point is it!?

Looking forward to hearing about the progress of everyone here.

Happy running!

RoadRunner

Hello Runningmum, from an old timer!

Very happy to see another runner here.  I'm an old hand, this is my 10th anniversay year.  To celebrate I'm going to Machu Picchu with BCC in March, so I'm concentrating on walking at the moment rather than running.  In reality that means trying to schedule a walk in on a Sunday, on top of my usual runs.  

I had the works with my treatment - mastectomy, chemo, rads, herceptin, tamoxifen, reconstructive surgery, but I always ran and always felt better for it.

Runningfree

Dear Runningmum

HELLO THERE!

i only started running for the year before my BC but loved ( and love it!!) did my First half 4 days before my Mx on 29/11/15

i ran all last year through chemo and herceptin doing mainly 5 k type stuff and running with my running group / husband/ kids. Still on herceptin and tamoxifen and back at work but still running!! If a little slower at the moment!! I am sure it has really helped me.

i didn't have rads but have heard others incorporate a little circuit into the daily routine

just don't be too hard on yourself...try and do something every day but accept you might have an off day and adjust accordingly

Really looking forward to how you get on with your running as you recover!!

all the very best with the rads and thank goodness for screening!!

cath

x

RunningMum13

Hi,

Great to hear and be inspired by your running ladies.

I had a lumpectomy and SNB just before Christmas (literally! it was on 23rd December). My bc was picked up as part of a trial to invite younger and older ladies for mammograms. I'm 47, generally very fit and well and had no symptoms at all, so consider myself to be very lucky indeed!

So far, so good with my recovery, I went back to my yoga class this week, and are returning to work tomorrow.

I'm a keen runner having completed my first half marathon last May, so I'm keen to return. I'm due to start radiotherapy in a couple of weeks and have started taking Tamoxifen. I'm hoping this won't impact too much, I think I'll take myself out for a run around the block this weekend and build gradually. I'm lucky to be part of an amazing running club so am itching to return!

Thank you for listening. Onwards and upwards.xx

Runningfree

And hope you are all sorted now

take care

xx

Runningfree

Emma

sorry only just saw post.

bought a new balance sports bra from TK Max

one that has the pockets in with a central seam. Started running with the soft prosthesis I got sent home with.

got the silicone one at about 8 weeks, heavier but prefer it . Apparently there is some sporty falsie that is good for swimming ,running etc....still waiting for it....!

what I also like to run in is a Skins vest ( it's really tight to get on but really supportive). It also has individual pockets. I have not suffered from any movement yet!! And it's just so good and normal to be running.

all the very best with it

cath

just make sure you do arm stretches before run to loosen shoulder !!

Emma111

Hi RunningFree. I had my left breast full mascectomy yest, 4 weeks after node clearance and unsuccessful lumpectomy. When you first ran after mx, what kind of bra did you wear? Did you wait for prothesis?x
Runningfree

Hi Ella

similar story for me, I ran 4 weeks after my mx, only had chemo( which I ran through ok), but know of plenty of girls who went for runs during their rads.

all the very best with it all

xx

Ella54

Thanks for info, will give it a go before my radiotherapy begins next week, 🏃 X
RoadRunner

I think I did my first run three weeks after surgery.  My advice to you would be to try a short gentle run and see how it goes

Ella54

Hi I am 5 weeks post surgery and used to run with my son before diagnosis and just about to start radiotherapy, I have been wondering when I can get back out running again and how it will affect my breast recovery, do you think it's too soon? Can't really find any info on running after surgery ,
Runningfree

Not 105 min. 65 min!

xx

Runningfree

That is so kind of you!

very untechnical but will give it a bash!

ran a 7 mile trail race tonight for my training, knackered!

had herceptin no. 7 today, leg started throbbing halfway but battled on magestically!! Was no where near last either! 105 min

x

RoadRunner

PM me a link to your page and I'll sponsor you x

Runningfree

Well here goes..... Have set up my just giving page for half marathon

CatherineH_BCC

Hello,

Oh thats great news Smiley Happy

Let me know if I can help with anything as we lead up to the date.

Thanks,

Catherine

Runningfree

Keep on doing what you can Emma!

I had a go at rock climbing and abseiling on holiday, who would have thought it !!!!

these little things keep me sane!

x

Runningfree

Hi Catherine

i am hoping for a vest! You have sent me a pack recently, now I am back from my holidays I need to get fundraising!

just going to try not to compare my performance to before BC and hope I get round!

CatherineH_BCC

Hello,

My name is Catherine, I work here at Breast Cancer Care.

That's amazing that you are running the Cardiff Half in October!

I just wanted to send you a message to let you know we have a room at Cardiff City Hall where all the Breast Cancer Care runners (plus family) can meet before the race. And then you are welcome to come along after for a much needed massage!

We also will have three 'cheering squads' around the route to keep you motivated. We will cheer very loudly so you can't miss us!

Would you like to run in our lovely pink and orange running vests? If so email me at catherine.hooper@breastcancercare.org.uk and I will happily send one over.

If you would like any more info, just let me know.

Good luck with the running!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Lurtj

Hi r u still on the tamoxifen ?
If not have been prescribed an alternative ??
Emma111

Amazing effort from you all to keep up the running. I really miss running while going through treatment so I've been doing brisk walks .... one hour in morning and one hour in afternoon around the fields where I live. I'm still too nervous to run but you have shown me what is possible if I put my mind to it. Keep going, you are all doing amazing!!xx
Runningfree

OrangeGirl

so good to hear from you!

was a bit despondent last week after the gruelling 6 mile hill race in the blazing heat but have rallied and will continue to keep on going

went on a 5 mile pack run tonight, learning to dress cooler( in every sense!!) and take a drink,something I didn't need before but who cares if it keeps you going

FELT GREAT!!

this girl can too!

tell me about your tat, my husband really wants me to do it!

have already said no to recon, the rest of me is looking not too bad so why put myself through it

cath

x

OrangeGirl

Keep running, girls!

I am passionate about encouraging women to keep exercising (if they can.)

There was no guidance offered so my partner just said why not continue?

So glad I did.

Dx 2013 mastectomy (no recon - just a fab tattoo!) chemo (FEC100 x6) RT x 15 and tamoxifen (lasted 10 months - had terrible side effects)

I started to run again 14 days after my op, back mountain biking 19 days post op. Would run 48hrs after chemo and just kept going. I did get slower and slower but the mental freedom and stress relief it offered was immeasurable. It was also a social activity for me with a gang of girls I ran with (and still do) and a big gang of mountain bikers. 

Some days will feel great, some will feel like **bleep** and you'll wonder why you bother. Just remember, you're lapping everyone who doesn't get off the sofa (This Girl Can - look it up!)

Have goals. It keeps you motivated. Very very best of luck in your half marathon. 

I've just completed a 65 mile run with navigation in the Shropshire hills (20hrs out and through the night).

It doesn't matter how far you go, just go (This Girl Can again!)

Well done, girls. Keep up the good work.

xxxxxx

Runningfree

Had a bit of a reality check today

getting on for 4 months post chemo and into herceptin /tamoxifen regime so decided as my (longterm) running was going pretty ok that I would have a go at a 6 mile fell race with my husband

it was awful , hot and still, I couldn't breathe and my legs felt dreadful.

i finished it but totally overdid it

lessons learned- even if you have been running for a good while never underestimate effects of treatment!

i should also have taken in to account the hot weather and remember I don't seem to regulate my temperature so well these days and had more to drink along the way

not going to be put off though

x

Runningfree

Running blog!

ran the fourth and final leg of the hill race series I have been muddling along with tonight

2 miles of torture!

received my pack from BCC for my proposed half marathon in October 

now just have to work out how to set up a just giving page!

x

Runningfree

And Sarah I'm sure your echo will be fine but obviously will keep my fingers crossed.

In my other life I am a nurse on a cardio respiratory ward and the docs all tell me that the exercise should hopefully give us the edge. I'm ticking off each dose, one step closer to normality!!

Runningfree

Hi girls, great to hear from you!

RoadRunner, yes suspect that herceptin does build up. I'm working on just squeezing that half marathon in if I can in October.

Ran 10 miles the other day, managed it but was trying to explain to my husband there are no hidden levels of strength that you can pull out of the bag! Going to vary my runs,generally going to aim for 3-6 miles, having a rest day at least every 3 days.

yesterday I ran with my husband again, unfortunately he is slightly quicker than me even when I am fit! So he can sound like he's nagging / pushing me when he's probably just trying to be encouraging.

we did a 4.5 m trail run, couldn't run the steep bits so just walked behind him muttering and thinking evil thoughts!! 

My last herceptin is early April so I guess I'm one dose ahead of you Sarah? So you're still going pretty well

Well we'll have to see how we manage! I wish I could sleep better, can't shift the night sweats.

love to hear about your runs. I'm going to post mine when I remember! 

And Lurtj, it's never too late!

Cath xx

ps anyone seen the running vest that says ' chemo gives you the best Brazilian ..ever'!!