cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running on treatment

103 REPLIES 103
Argymargy

Re: running on treatment

How are you getting on, Newbrunette?  Just popped in to big up the M&S bras.  I've got several of the extra high impact sports bras and also several of their post-mastectomy bras.  I think they're really supportive as well as great quality and value.  I'm not running again yet (mastectomy in February then 6 months of chemo) but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...  Three weeks of radiotherapy starting next week and then I'll be looking to start a gentle jog as soon as I get the green light!

Best of luck to you xx

Newbrunette

Thank you. That's reassuring. I've got a date for my op - 25th August - so I'll be getting in as much running before then as I can. My partner has said he will confiscate my trainers until I'm properly recovered! I'll look
Forward to hearing how you all are doing.
Mandy
RunningMum13

Hi fellow runners!

I also take Tamoxifen and haven't had any problems to date with my joints or weight gain (I started taking it in January).

Regarding your fitness - you will definitely get there! Just be gentle on yourself when you are ready to return, and build up gradually, walking at first helps maintain your fitness.

I also wear 2 bras, my usual sports one and an M&S high impact bra that zips up the front. I had a WLE and SNB in December last year and are back to 10k distance.

Love to you all, and best wishes for your ops and subsequent treatment.

Donna x

Newbrunette

Thanks Kiki2. I'm having WLE and SNB. My boobs aren't big (just saggy - think Spaniels ears!!) 😱 I've got a variety of different running bras - guess I'll just have to see which one is most comfy? Hope your recovery is going well xxx
Kiki2

I take tamoxifen and it hasn't affected my joints, it will take a while to get your fitness back but you will do it, just depending on what op you're having you may need a very good sports bra. I had mastectomy with recon so wore two bras when I first started running again! Good luck with your surgery and treatment. The waiting stage is the worst, once you've had the op you can focus on your recovery. Xx
Newbrunette

Hi ladies - just wanted to say hello. I'm just diagnosed - surgery booked for either 25th August or 6th September. I've just had to transfer my place in the Cardiff half to another runner 😞 Am totally gutted and although I'm fairly confident that eventually I can get back to running post treatment I'm starting to worry about how taking tamoxifen will affect my weight / joints. I know it's early days and I haven't even had my op or the radiotherapy yet - but I can't imagine a life where I can't run! It keeps me sane! I'd really appreciate joining you all on your journeys
Thanks
Mandy x
RunningMum13

Sorry to hear that ArgyMargy, but glad to hear you're keeping up your fitness with walking. It's far too hot to run at the moment! Sending you a hug to get you through your treatment and out the other side. You will get there.xx

Argymargy

Hello RunningMum13 and all,

Just started docetaxel and feeling completely rubbish, thank you!  Hopefully temporary.  I've been trying to keep walking, although slowing down a bit during the 3rd & 4th FEC as heart rate all over the place.  But the gorgeous weather helps my mood and I just focus on getting through the treatment so I can get running again.  As ever, reading about others' progress is inspirational so feel free to brag about runs you've done!

xxx

RunningMum13

Hi ladies, just thought I'd check in to see how my fellow runners are getting on? Xx

Runningfree

Yes you will soon be pounding the pavements ArgyMargy!

yes it's strange wearing a proper bra..... Pink and fluffy etc

have to wear my running bra underneath to stop my faithful friend escaping,lol

but 4 weeks after my herceptin finishing I am suddenly starting to feel so much better

time will go quickly,stay well and fit like you are

love to all

cath

x

RunningMum13

Yes! Good tears ArgyMargy! Just about got over it 🙂

That 5 mile run with the sun on your back sounds amazing RunningFree, you'll soon be doing that ArgyMargy.

Love & sunshine to all

Donna xx

Argymargy

Good tears though, RunningMum, eh? xxx

Argymargy

Brilliant cath!  I'm imagining that beautiful 5 miles and how that will soon be me.  So pleased for you.  Your bra dash made me laugh - I can hardly remember what it feels like to wear a real bra.  I now live in M&S extra high impact sports bras which I do really like, although not v sexy. xxx

Runningfree

Bra dash went very well, beautiful weather here......

feeling better, finally getting my breath back and almost a month since herceptin finished so hoping to feel more like the old me

did 5 miles tonight, up in the hills and along the shore with the sun on my back.......lovely

hope everyone is ok

xx

RunningMum13

Don't, you'll start me off again!! 🙂 x

Argymargy

Well RunningMum13 maybe I didn't cry ALL the way through... 😉

RunningMum13

Hi,

Hope everyone is ok today. Sorry to hear about the flu and chest infection Cath, hope you're feeling better soon.

I watched the second part of Mind over Marathon today, did anyone else cry all the way through it? No? Just me then 🙂 what an inspirational programme. Once I'd mopped up my tears I went out for a run, feeling positive again.

Love to all and enjoy your bra dash/ power walk/ runs this weekend ladies.xx

Runningfree

Hi everyone, glad you're all ok

ArgyMargy, yes sorry about the run ban but the girls are right,your fitness will stay with you

and the time will fly by ( I can't believe how quickly 16 months have gone with my chemo and herceptin!)

talking of which was very excited to be entering a tamoxifen only period only to go down with a proper flu ( so much for flu jabs!!!) and subsequent chest infection. Tried to run but wheezed along like an old man..... !

now trying to do something everyday again

cath

x

doing a bra dash tomorrow which will be fun and NO pressure!!

RoadRunner

Hi Argymargy

Sorry you're not allowed to run yet, but as you say you need to trust your medical team.  You'll keep up your fitness tho' with the walking and cycling.  

I, too, watched mind over marathon.  It was clear how much running can help with your mental state.  I hope it inspires others in a similar situation to give it a try.

RunningMum13

You're right ladies, thank you. I'm just expecting a bit too much from myself I think. Thanks for the encouraging words. Good to hear you're doing well ArgyMargy and that those involved in your care are fully behind your return to running.

Love & hugs to all

Donna x

Argymargy

Agreed RoadRunner - Donna, you will recover and be even better!

Me, I'm not allowed to run until after chemo and radio have finished (end Sept).  Oncologist, plastic surgeon and physiotherapist are all standing firm.  I have to trust them because they've been so good, particularly the physio.  She's promised to help me return to running as soon as possible and encouraged me to consider half marathons and ultimately marathon over the next 2 years.  I watched Mind Over Marathon and it gave me a whole new attitude.  We'll see!  Meanwhile it's fast walking and cycling only for me.

Hope you're all as well as you can be. xxx

RoadRunner

Hi Donna,

Of course you'll get back to pre BC fitness.  It just takes time. In the meantime, just enjoy your running

RunningMum13

Hi running friends,

Just checking in, how is everyone doing? I managed a faster 5miler last night with my running club, well 'faster for me' anyway! But felt like I really struggled and felt quite emotional too. I have to remind myself that it's only 6 months since my diagnosis and subsequent treatment but feel like I'll never be able to run as far as I could pre bc. I know I will eventually, just feeling a little wobbly.

Donna.xx

RunningMum13

Fantastic 10k run RunningFree, especially as you went on to develop a chest infection. Hope you're up and at it very soon. Fingers crossed for that t-shirt!

Good to hear you're doing well ArgyMargy 🙂

Back in my stride at running club, up to 4 (fairly) comfortable miles.

Love & sunshine to all.

Donna.x

Argymargy

Oh wow cath well done on that result (not so much on the infection) !!  What you wrote made me chuckle.  I too would be so focussed on getting that t-shirt, just to prove to everyone (and myself) that I can bloody well do it!  I look forward to you getting it. 🙂

I'm doing well, thank you.  2nd FEC was ok as I knew what to expect and now on day 9 feeling pretty good.  I've been doing walks - did 9k on Tuesday and will probably do similar today.  The fabulous weather helps.

I love that this part of the forum is called Hope and Inspiration.  This thread has given me both, along with the chuckles.

Argy xx

Runningfree

Hello Argymargy!

Did the 10k last Friday ( 57 mins, which is slower than my 'old' self somewhat, but never mind !!)

felt VERY Shaky afterwards and shivery. Woke up at 2 am with a raging chest infection!

Improving now thank goodness; I don't usually get coughs.

Hoping to be ok for fri night as it is round 2 of this series where we do this sort of handicapped park run. If you do all 6 you get a really nice T Shirt !!!

onwards and upwards!!!

how are you??

x

Argymargy

Hi cath just popped in to see how you got on in your 10k?  And to ask how you're feeling about getting back to work and leaving all this behind you.  Sending lots of love.

Runningfree

Thanks Argymargy!

Trying to carry on ( running, nursing etc) was the way I felt I had to do it and I must admit the past 16 months has gone by very quickly. But not everyone can do that I know ( or might not want to!!)

i hope you are ok and thanks

cath

x

Argymargy

Wow Runningfree that could have been written by me!  Even though I'm at the early stages of treatment these are things I've been thinking about.  I have so much admiration for women who go through this and have children to look after - mine are young adults and have been looking after me in many ways.

Wishing you all the best for a bright, successful, fit and cancer free future - so, just as you were! xxx

Runningfree

Thanks ladies!

felt strange walking out of oncology yesterday after 16 months of treatment! But you know it has gone quickly.

I felt almost scared people would forget it had even happened..( like my husband and kids have already, lol!).. But at the same time I want to see how close to the old me I can get. 

Glad im off work this week. I do get tired still, but BC aside we all have to remind ourselves of our other commitments (working mum of 3 etc etc)

cath

x

RunningMum13

Great news! Well done RunningFree 🙂  x

Argymargy

Congratulations Runningfree!  How are you? xx

Runningfree

Had my final herceptin today!!!

Runningfree

ArgyMargy

so good you are doing so well and keeping fit. Keep it up!!

hello everyone else! I have my 18th and FINAL herceptin on Monday!! YAY!

cath

x

RunningMum13

Hi ArgyMargy, great to hear you are doing well. The power walking sounds just the job to keep your fitness levels up 🙂

I think the arrival of spring really helps too, so many more opportunities to get out there and do your thing. Some good advice from Kiki too.

Love to all.xx

Argymargy

Thanks Kiki!  That's really useful to know - so glad for you.  All the best. xxx

Kiki2

I had left mx with immediate reconstruction with implant 2 years ago. The surgeon told me to  wait twelve weeks before doing any exercise (other than physio exercises), so after 12 weeks I started playing badminton again and began to build up my running again. Found I needed to wear 2 really supportive bras to start with, now just wear a really good sports bra. Did a 10k race last April so managed to get back to fitness but take it steady, it did make the recon ache a bit to start with.Good luck xx

Argymargy

Good morning running buddies!  Sorry I haven't been back to say hi - I hope you're all ok.  I'm 7 weeks post surgery and at the mid-point of my first FEC chemo.  Doing fine overall; I've been blessed with an amazing physiotherapist who totally understands my goals around fitness and has worked really hard.  I've got great arm mobility in spite of nasty lymph vessel cording due to node clearance.  I haven't been able to run because I have a tissue expander & implant which is still settling in but I've been power-walking instead!  The power element has reduced following chemo but I'm hoping to ramp up again before the next cycle.  You lot are still inspiring me - as well as the lovely weather! xxx

RunningMum13

Hi RunningFree,

You're doing really well, just take a minute to remember what you've been through, and as you say motherhood & work can also be demanding. The fact that you are still running is fab! Speed doesn't matter at this point. We WILL get stronger.

Love & springtime

Donna.xx

Runningfree

That's absolutely brilliant RunningMum! And the clocks go forward this weekend! Spring is in the air, you'll soon be flying along.

Im  doing ok, but very tired these past few weeks, noticeably slower.

Think it is a cumulative thing of mastectomy, chemo and herceptin over 16 months ( and obviously motherhood  and work has its moments!! ). But my last jab is on the 10th April so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll start speeding up again! On the other hand I'm still running so shouldn't whinge!

How are you doing ArgyMargy?

xx

RunningMum13

Yey! First outing last night with running club since op 3 months ago. It felt like a tough 3.5miles but so good to be back! Feeling strong 🙂

Hope everyone is doing ok? Xx

Runningfree

Can I echo RunningMum and send my best wishes ArgyMargy!

xx

RunningMum13

How are you doing ArgyMargy? Xx

RoadRunner

Well done from me too RunningMum.  Having a goal to aim for will inspire you.  Running has always made me feel better.  

ladybowler
Community Champion

RunningMum

Its me being mumsy and looking after the ladies xxx  WOW that is amazing 10k run, I would struggle to walk that distance respect 🙂 🙂

RunningMum13

Thank you RunningFree and Lady B! Don't worry, I'm going to listen to my body especially over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to having something positive to aim for. Hoping to run the Abbey Dash 10k in November so giving myself plenty of time to get back to full fitness.xx

Runningfree

Well done RunningMum!!

just in time for spring!!!

x

ladybowler
Community Champion

RunningMum

Just remember you will still feel the effects of the rads for another two weeks so be careful, being mumsy again xx You need to keep moisturising, drinking plenty of fluids and get good rest xxx  the effects can get wrose before they start to get better in that time

RunningMum13

Radiotherapy... done...tick!

Now to get my running back on track. Hope you're all doing ok ladies.xx

RunningMum13

Great news ArgyMargy! Made me chuckle to hear about your dream, you'll soon be back up & running. Love to all.xx