cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scared of changing to tax

8 REPLIES 8
Rodent

Re: scared of changing to tax

Another pro tax person here, felt so sick on EC but just used standard paracetamol / ibuprofen for 2-3 days around days 3-6 and got through it. Very furry mouth, but not a lot can be done about that I don't think!!
Donnaandfamily

Hi Jinny

I just wanted to add another support message.......I have finished my Tax now .......I personally did not experience any pain. Yes I too felt tired like the other ladies have said more so than when I was on Fec...... on Fec I would feel more like me by day 5 ...but on Tax It took me until about day 10.

I know this journey is frightening ........ but your symptoms will be different to everyone else.

I did not have any sickness....no tablets required.......nor did I need any pain killers

I hope you cope well.........just keep the end goal in sight.

Lots of best wishes

Donna xxx

Emma76

Hi jinny,
I didnt have fec, but tax for my chemo regime, I didnt find it too bad the fatigue is the hardest, I never had any pain though and no sickness. Its very predictable in its side effects i would feel fine for 2 days and then day 3 incredibly fatigued it would last about 2 days and then day 5 start to feel better, by day 7 i would be back to normal again. The only thing that was a bit of a pain was a little bit of diarahea on about day 8 or 9- but i just took imodium and it stopped after a few hours,
Its really not that bad!
Best wishes emma xx
Bondgirl

Hi Jinny, I had my 3rd of 4 Tax last Monday and I have tolerated it better than the FEC, I don't have the awful sickness or sore mouth that came with the fec. I do feel more tired on days 3-5 but have kept up and about and felt more human by day 6-7. Drink plenty, I found warm squash better than cold as my tummy sometimes feels crampy/colicky and the warmth helps. Heartburn is the worst I have suffered from day 5-9 and have managed it with Gaviscon as soon as it starts, you can buy sachets to take out with you - keep one in your bag as there is nothing worse than needing it. They can prescribe medication if it's really bad a one a day tablet but again there are side effects and constipation is not good. You can use lactose from Boots if you do suffer. Some Boots are MacMillan trained and very understanding. I haven't had the flu like symptoms and not needed any paracetamol or I buffoon for bone ache it just hasn't appeared. The taste in the mouth is naff but I find it starts to come back about day 10. Use plenty of hand cream to keep your nails nourished as they can get a bit brittle same with your feet. I too was scared by the tax as the feedback here was a bit negative and I know everyone is different but thought you would like to hear both sides. Also the biggest thing is the deliver of the tax is just one go so none of the three individual sets of treatment and your hand and arm doesn't suffer like on fec. Hope this helps ease your anxiety
WP23

Hi Jinny

I am on Taxoter and Cyclophosphamide, I have my 3rd session today.

To be honest it hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be, my SE's last for about 3 -7 days, mainly bone ache and pains from the injections I have for 5 days to help with wbc. Also constipation seems to be a common se, and a sore mouth but I have not experienced this so far *fingers crossed* I have been sucking on ice lollies for the duration of the tax going through. Also drinking at least 3 litres of water just before and in the first week seems to help.
Please don't be scared, look on the bright side you are half way through treatment aren't you???

Wendy x

jinny2611

I start it wed I really don't want to do it I only see my onc day before im struggling with tiredness and fatigue quiet a lot at the min and my meds have increased so that is adding to it had terrible palpations with fec which increased my panic attacks even more im so so scared
skinnyminx

I had 6 x FEC-T in 2009/10.  I'm pleased to report that I tolerated Docetaxol somewhat better than FEC.  Hope it's the same for you.

Jbf57

Hi Jinny, I move onto tax on Wednesday and can understand your anxiety. My oncologist gave me some info on possible side effects and what to do to help alleviate them - have you not had anything from your oncology team? As far as I know, se's are likely to kick in after about 4 days, and will be similar to flu symptoms. I was advised to take paracetamol or ibuprofen, and should these not help then to contact the oncology unit and they would prescribe something stronger. Apparently nausea and sickness should not be as bad as with Fec. Hope this helps you until someone else posts who has already started on tax. When will you have your treatment? Take care and try not to worry, easier said than done I know, but I'm sure tax won't be as bad as you're expecting. A good friend of mine who had the same treatment last year, said the worst se for her was fatigue, so that's perhaps something you could focus on rather than anything more debilitating.
jinny2611

scared of changing to tax

Im due my first tax next week and have really struggled very very bad with anxiety since the start of it all ive been terrible before every chemo now ive got this one next week and i know its going to be bad any tips on what painkillers to use and when should i start them i cant eat or anything thinking bout it please someone tell me its not all bad x