scared stiff of having a general anaesthetic

Hi

I have just been diagnosed with BC and need a wide local excision planned for Monday. I am not that worried about the op in terms of pain etc, but the thought of the general makes me feel terrified. I had an op years ago when I was a teenager which was an horrendous experience and I can’t stop thinking about this. My main concern is that I wake up during surgery. I know this is rare, but still worries me. I dont want to make a fool out of myself but I would welcome any enouraging stories about anesthetics etc

Hi Cathy

Had exactly the same fears as you before my op and can only try to put your mind at ease - anesthetics are so very different now and I can’t believe that I was more scared of having an op than having cancer!

When you go in on Monday, talk over your fears with the anesthetist or doctor, but in the meantime try not to worry. Since my first op, I’ve gone onto have another and watched my two children both have ops (even more scary), one only two days ago with no problems whatsoever - not even sickness after!

All the best.
Cheers
Anne x

Hi Cathy

I had an excisional in Dec was was petrified of the anasthetic. I was that bad to the point of hyperventellating and hysterical when they took me down to theatre,. Anway had to go for a re excisional yesterday, still very nervous but was much clamer then before, hehe I must have been bad last time as they theatre nurse remembered me from Dec!!! Both times went smoothly and same as Anne I had no sickness after either.

Sorry that u had a bad experience when you were younger. Like Anne says talk to the anesthetist who will b able to ease ure worries.

All the best

M

Hi.Cathy

So sorry to hear of your dx. Don’t know how long ago your teenage experience was but modern anaesthesia is very safe. I have had many ops. under GA and absolutely no problems - except getting the ‘heebie jeebies’ everytime I need another! My child also had GA’s when he was one and then three years old.

Do tell your anaesthetist about your fears when they assess you on the ward beforehand and the nurses too - they are used to dealing with such worries and will answer your questions sympathetically, I’m sure. You can often be given a sedative to calm you if you request it.

Hope all goes well on Mon - I’ll be waiting to hear from you when it’s all over !
Best wishes
Seren XX

Hi Cathy,

I too used to hate the thought of general anesthetic, I am going to tell you something that may scare you to start with as it explains why I used to be frightened but either read no further or wait to hear the positive explanation that concurred that fear. So here goes (Scroll down a little I have hidden the story)

Some years ago I had an operation that involved a lot of surgery including displacing two ribs and cutting muscle, this required GA. When the operation was over I was aware that I was in recovery and later transferred back on to the ward. I say aware because I could hear everything but could not make the nurses aware I was ‘awake’. I heard my husband visit me and the nurses asking if I had had problems before with general anesthetic. Even the anaesthetist came to the ward and doctors checked the calculations of the anesthetic. As you can imagine I thought ’ my god they think I am in a coma, I hope they don’t think I am dead’. They eventually gave me some drugs and I slowly came round. I told them that I was aware of what had been happening but they were very cagey about this even when I could repeat everything I heard. I was never given an explanation until some years later.

I needed another operation so told the anaesethetist how frightened I was. He explained that what had happen was I was given too strong a muscle relaxant and as a result the anesthetic that keeps you asleep wore off as it should but my muscles were still paralysed by the other drugs hence the problem. For that operation and subsequent operations including my mastectomy I haven’t needed a muscle relaxant so I haven’t encountered that problem. I wish this explanation was given to me after my bad experience perhaps I wouldn’t have had 10 years of fear of anesthetics.

I recommend that you talk to the anaesthetist before the op they should tell you all the stages and procedures involved, a good one will without having to ask.

I have had 8 operations and I am still here to tell the story so please try not to worry too much.
Take care,
Carol

concurred? I meant conquered

Hi Cathy

Perhaps you can ask for time to have a chat with your anaesthetist well before you go into the pre-op room. If you can tell the person who will be looking after you exactly what your very real fears are it may put your mind at rest.

I had SLN biopsy yesterday under GA and every time I’ve had GA in the past I’ve woken feeling sick - not always BEING sick, but feeling it. The super girl who did me yesterday was funny, kind, chatty, she came up to see me later in the day and assured me she will be my anaesthetist for the big op, mast plus recon, and I’m actually shocked at how much this has delighted me! I do hope you’ll be able to meet yours well in advance and he/she will welcome the opportunity to have a chat with you about your worries. They’re good people and don’t want to frighten you. Good luck xxxxxxx

I meant to say, yesterday is the first time I’ve ever had GA and not felt any nausea. It shouldn’t be hugely significant but it seemed to matter a great deal that this lovely lady will be in charge of my big sleep!

Hi Cathy,
I just so know where your coming from. Like you I had operations many years ago and after the last one I had a bad reaction. I then said to myself and to any one who would listen ‘I will never go through this again unless its a life or death situation’ Should have shut my mouth cos guess what, I was diagnosed with BC before Christmas, needed a WLE knew then I had to put my money where my mouth was. It didn’t matter how many people told me anaesthetcs had changed I couldn’t put the past behind me. I was silly and I tried to be stong and not show my fear but once in the theatre the fear took over. My experience was that so much had changed, the theatre nurses were absolutely suberb, the anaethestist was called to explain in detail what was happening. At every point I could not have felt more supported, even to the theatre nurse talking to me about which football team I supported, she held my hand and I never even felt thr needle going in. I knew nothing until I was awake 45 mins later. I didn’t even feel sick, let alone be sick. I know these words ,like those said to me will have little meaning at the moment, but you do need to go through this, yes your terrified, and yes I know you will make it.
Please let me know how it goes. On Monday I will be thinking of you. I’ve been there, like many others, worn the teeshirt, now you can do the same for all the ladies who come after you. With my best wishes
Trish. (And when you feel ready let me know how you got on)

I too was very scared before GA for WLE.I’d had them a couple of times before and woke up trembling violently and very sick.This time[Oct 06]I told the anaesthetist and said I was really scared to wake up lying flat in case I choked.He was amazing.I went to sleep in a reclining position and came round in exactly the same position.I have a small denture where my front teeth were knocked out by a hockey ball when I was 11.I hate being withot it so he left it in.The whole experience was so much better than I expected.Do talk to your anaesthetist and all the very best for your op.Love horacexx

hi i had this problem and first time i went on a private ward and went up when it was my turn. the second time the private ward was full only allow nhs when bed free. so i went up to the op floor and waited in a day room in my normal clothes until it was my turn this helped a lot. as i had told surgeon b4 about my worries when first diagnosed he arranged for someone to take me up and show me around the theatre rec etc this helped my fears alto. he still says i am his only patient that has shook him off the bed with nerves. teach him to sit on my bed but he laughs about it now.

Hi, your post starting this thread could have been me!

I had WLE on 1 Feb. I talked to the anaethetist at great length about my fears…poor man. Anyway he DID listen.

I was s**t-scared as I went in but knew it had to be done. As the drugs took effect, I just about had time to note that it felt like being really drunk.

I have big problems with local anasthetic and often some is used in the wound site but I was not given any. This was brilliant for me, as I woke up from my op like waking up any other day without the alarm clock.

After that, I’m not scared to have another but I will make sure that I have my lovely homeopath helping me and that I nag the anaethetist big-time.

Good luck.xx

Pinky-Ann, did your homeopath suggest a remedy and if so, was it for relaxation, nausea etc?

Well, big day tomorrow. To be honest, after reading about the fears and misgivings everyone has had, I feel so much better, I am even laughing to myself at some of the stories!! Poor anaesthetists - they do have a lot to contend with. If you lot can do it, so can I. if I make a big tit of myself (sorry for the pun) then so be it. Who cares!!! Will let you know how I get on

Cathy
xx

Good Luck Cathy, we’ll be thinking of you.

Carol

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I am back from hospital. I had surgery on Monday. The anaesthetic was absolutely no problem. I had a lovely lady anaesthetist who assured me I wouldn’t have a muscle relaxant and therefore fears of waking up paralysed were diminished. Woke up feeling fine and starving hungry. Wolfed down a sandwich and numerous cups of tea. didn’t feel sick at all. Thank you to all who helped to reassure me. I can now do this for anyone else in the same situation and if I need further ops, I will be fine.

Cathy

Oh Cathy, well done to you! I’m so pleased for you, what a hurdle to have overcome. You had a very real fear and I’m glad it helped a little to share it here too. I hope your recovery goes very smoothly. What else do you have lined up treatment-wise?

Lyn xx

Hi Lyn

I have to wait to see if there are clear margins and then it could be more surgery or radiotherapy or both depending on what they find. It’s the waiting that is horrible, isn’t it, although if I do need more surgery, I certainly won’t be as scared as before!
Cathy
x