Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scared to go to the doctors

31 REPLIES 31
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: scared to go to the doctors

first appointment at the breast clinic, biopsy and results on Wednesday. Ruled out fatty tissue and cyst, said it was a solid lump and suspicious, im thinking the worst. Please help need some advice as to what happens next?
Guest user
Not applicable

first appointment at the breast clinic, biopsy and results on Wednesday. Ruled out fatty tissue and cyst, said it was a solid lump and suspicious, im thinking the worst. Please help need some advice as to what happens next?

Hi all..ladies..good on you for going to the dr..these things need looking at even if it's nothing..if it's something then sooner it is dx then sooner treatment can be started to get rid..best wishes for all your appts..don't be scared of anything..I know it's daunting but it is all doable..chin up ladies..apple

Good luck badjaffa. 🙂

Good luck to you Ladies I will keep my fingers crossed for you both.

The very best of luck to you Badjaffa. Sending good thoughts. I am getting my biopsy results in an hour too!! Hugs xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Have my appointment today at the breast clinic, so scared...
Guest user
Not applicable

Thankyou I appreciate your kind words and some facts have helped. I'm trying not to work myself up but I am a very stressful person and do have panic attacks.sorry to hear your situation hope you are ok sending hugs back xx

Hi Flagstar , I replied to your other thread so have copied it here . x "Some really good advice on here. Where you are now is the hardest place. Even for most of us who have a dx of breast cancer. Firstly and importantly, most lumps are benign . 20 years ago and 12 years ago I had lumps checked out and they were benign . One found 12 years ago was a fatty lump iit is still there and benign. I'm 58 now, found another lump in the other breast early May and have dx of breast cancer . I was devastated to begin with and waiting for results had me climbing the walls. However, in the past 20 years, breast cancer treatments have moved on, and they are treatable with good outcomes. That's me , lets talk about you. The consultant / BCN thinks your's is benign, they have the scans and the mammograms. They are the experts, they have the facts, but they can't give you the all clear until they have done ever test known to man . So take heart, pamper yourself in the run up to the test results. I know it's not easy, but what will you achieve beating yourself up ? Sending you a huge cyber hug and all the best for your results. Let me know how you get on" Love Kathy x
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks im just thinking the worst making myself ill with worry . Waiting over a week stressing. I know alot of you on here had a lot worse so appreciate even having the reply I did x

Flagstar, you must be going mad! My thoughts are with you and here is hoping that everything is as they suggested. Hugs xx

Dear flagstar

Welcome to the BCC forum. As well as the support you will receive here from fellow members, you may like to consider giving our Helpline a call to talk things over. They can offer practical information and emotional support. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Thankypu just really worried and having panic attacks. Thanks for your reply much appreciated x

Well done Badjaffa for going to the dr you have definately done the right thing. I know the waiting is the worse, just try and keep yourself busy the days do go by eventually! also utilise this site evryone is so supportive and you can gain a great deal of knowledge as I have had. Flagstar sorry to hear of your situation and am keeping everything crossed that your lump is benign which they must have a reason to believe otherwise they would not have said so. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Just looking for help and advice really. Or if anyone had same thing. I'm 30 been to breast clinic today had ultra sound found something so had to have biopsy. They did say they think its benign got to wait over a week for results. Can't stop panicking and feeling sick to pit of stomach .

Hi Badjaffa, I think you've definitely done the right thing. Well done on taking the plunge, I waited over 2 months and I feel a bit silly now. The Dr gave me a right telling off, in a nice way 🙂 I am waiting on my referral also. I have been told to expect a mammogram, ultrasound and Fine needle aspiration/biopsy....every clinic is different. I think I will get a good idea of what it is, most likely a cyst (if I keep telling myself that, then it might come true 😉 on the same day.
The very best of luck xx

Different clinics vary in how they organise things. I had a mammogram followed by an ultrasound scan (both painless). As these scans showed something "suspicious" as the consultant radiologist termed it, I had an immediate core biopsy of the breast, which sounds a lot worse than it is. They gave me a local anaesthetic and although I could feel something, it wasn't painful. I was then seen by the breast care nurse who explained the indications were I had a malignant cancer that was very small but the ultrasound showed no evidence of anything unusual in my armpit lymph nodes. I was sent away and had to wait a week for the results of the biopsy. That week was the pits!

Good you have put things in motion, and hopefully it will turn out to be nothing at all. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks so much, go wasn't very reassuring, didn't explain what would happen next etc. Think its normal to think the worst case scenario, but this website is fantastic, just makes you realise there's so many out there in the same boat as me.
Guest user
Not applicable

Well done for getting the ball rolling, chances are it's nothing sinister but you need to rule it out and that's what you are doing. I had a mammogram first and have got appointment with consultant next week and I've been told that if further tests need doing (further mammogram, ultrasound etc.) it will be done on that day. Things may be done in a slightly different order depending on the clinic I guess. Try to keep busy while you wait and keep us updated xx

The consultant will have a feel of both your breasts and may send you for a mamogram and an untrasound, both of which are painless, so please dont worry.
You will then return for the results a week or 2 later.
The worst thing is the waiting and most lumps are nothing to worry about so please try to put it to the back of your mind as there is nothing you can do for the next few weeks.
Well done for going and setting the ball rolling xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all. Plucked up the courage and went to the doctors, been referred to be seen within two weeks, she said it felt like a hard mass rather than a lump. Please can anyone tell me what will happen at my appointment. I'm absolutely petrified, wish I had gone sooner.
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks all for your support. Will go to the doctors and will keep you all informed x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi badjaffa
im feeling the same as You. Had a lump investigated a year ago. My gp was great and I was seen in the clinic two weeks later and got the all clear!!! Now I can feel the lump back again but feel that I would be wasting the doctors time by going back about the same lump ( well I think it's the same one) Common sense tells me to ring them but I haven't yet!! After reading your post and hearing how worried you are I am going to call them in the morning and I urge you to do the same! Maybe we can be brave together! ....let me know if you call and I will too. Good luck !

Hi there,

I totally agree. All breast changes need looking at, even innocent benign ones. Your GP is paid a lot of money to take care of you - let him earn it! Please make the appointment.

Hi badjaffa

I agree with everybody else. You won't be wasting your GP's time at all. Lumps can be all kinds of things, even if they are not cancer, they need to be investigated.
Wishing you well and hoping for a good outcome for you.
HUGS, poemsgalore xx

As the other lovely ladies have said, please make that appt, I was at my docs straight away, the earlier you get a diagnosis the better, so get ringing!!!!!
love julie xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi badjaffa, I felt like I was making a fuss about nothing too when I went to my GP, but you really must go to at least rule out anything sinister. You will just worry more and more if you don't. As someone else has also said make sure you get an urgent appointment too- I had to wait 3 weeks to see my GP and as I already felt I was wasting their time I accepted this and waited that long but the wait drove me crazy! Please make your appointment ASAP. xx

Hi Badjaffa, please don't think you are wasting your GP's time, they are always urging us to be 'breast aware' and that's just what you have been. I too was concerned that I may have been wasting their time but I needed to have my mind put at rest one way or another. My symptoms were vague, slightly inverted nipple and a small indent at the side of the nipple, I couldn't feel any lump and neither could my wonderful GP. However, she could see I was concerned so referred me to the Breast Clinic were I was ultimately diagnosed with BC,very early stages so easily treated. Please remember that most lumps, bumps and other symptoms turn out NOT to be BC, but do please make that appointment, you'll be glad you did. Best wishes Pat x

Please don't be scared to go to the dr. Any changes in the breast need to be looked at. Call the dr today and when they ask if it's an emergency say you've found a lump in your breast and you should get seen today. The dr then will decide wether it's anything sinister.
Good luck
Emma x

HI Badjaffa....GO to your doctor; you will only worry yourself silly otherwise and better to know if there is anything wrong or not. I really hope it's nothing but if it is anything serious then it needs dealing with and the sooner the better. x

Hi badjaffa

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, sorry to read you're having a pretty worrying time at the moment. I 'm sure some of the other users will be along soon to offer you their experience and knowledge.

In the meantime you might find it helpful to talk things through with a memeber of staff on the helpline. They are their to offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

scared to go to the doctors

Hi all. I really need some advice, when I examine my breasts in the mirror, I can see a swelling under the skin, when I touch it it feels like a hard mass, but its not so evident if I lay down? Scared to go I case im being paranoid and for wasting his time. Also just feeling generally tired all the time. Need some advice. Thanks