secondary breast cancer with bone mets

Hi my name is Janette and i am new to this this site, i have recently been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer with bone mets to my hips, spine and ribs.

This has totally knocked me for six!!! i had breast cancer in 2007 low grade had lump removed then a month of radoi, i was told my prognosis was excellent “haha” that didnt last.

Been put on tamoxifen and zoladex to put me into menopause and shut down my ovaries as mine is oestrogen fed, having some radio on my hip tomorrow for pain but sods law its now my back that is giving more jip!!

Would love to hear from ladies living with this nasty nasty disease, i have a wonderful husband and family but its not the same as talkiing to people living with it too.

thanks love Janette xxxxx

Janette - I’ve replied in bone mets thread. Xxx

Hi janette I’m Laura I’m also new to this site ( only yesterday I joined ) I have signed up to get some advice and support for my mum she had breast cancer in 2011 had right mastectomy chemo and radium and was told to stay on arimidex ! After pain in her hip and many tests and scans last month we found out that it was in hip spine and ribs ! She is in so much pain and finding it hard to walk and go on here daily life ! Onc said yesterday 5 rads to be done in the next two weeks for the pain on her hip and She is now on letrazole and clasteon For the he bones ! I just hope she gets some relief from the radium as seeing her in pain is the worse feeling ever ! Just thought I’d let u know I’m a newbie here too so will most prob speak soon again x good luck

Hi Natalie so kind for your comment / reply I’m not too good with technology either so here we go anyways … Lol I’m glad you have has your radium and fingers crossed like you say you will feel the benefit sooner rather than later my mum is going to get marked up on Wednesday . So will find out then when it starts!!.. She was given the clasteon on diagnosal around 6 weeks ago and also the letrozole too in place of arimadex . The onc did say something about injections that that might be the next stage if the meds don’t work this time so will keep that in mind Thankyou ! I’m 34 and only child so feel like I have got to find out as much info as I can so yes let me know how you get on with the pain and fingers crossed it’s gets easier for you stay in touch and take care xxx

Hello Law36 and others who’ve recently had a bone mets diagnosis or are close to someone who has.

Just a quick comment, my bone mets diagnosis was in 2006 and here I am - unfortunately I have had further spread (beyond bones) so have needed chemotherapy, but at the moment I am on letrozole with stable disease.  Not had radiotherapy myself so I can’t comment on that, sorry.

I’d not heard of Clasteon before but its scientific name is clodronate.  (taken as tablets? ) I take ibandronic acid for my bones, also as a tablet, and there are other bone-strengthening drugs available.

Also wanted to say that your mum is very fortunate in having such a caring daughter.  x x

Hi there mrs blue Thankyou for your reply ., I will be glad when everything starts up and running … Has just been lots of scans and app and waiting so Wednesday is the day for my to have her tattoos then fingers crossed the ball will start rolling as she is having a lot of trouble getting around ! Will the rad help with the mobility ( I do hope so ) as the past 3 months I think that is getting her down a lot too … She is doing amazing as all of you are too and started getting the fight face on now after the shock of diagnosal so let’s wt the next couple of weeks over with and fast …( ps how long after the radium did you feel poorly for was it data or weeks) just want to try and find everything out for her Thankyou again xxx

Hi there desi 2 and Swanie Thankyou for all that advice I have wrote it down and now know what to ask for before she starts this radium … I’m glad you are both finding the pain eased now and that’s all ow may for my mum to be out of pain as much as she is and her mobility to be a lot better so she can get on enjoying life … I will pass all these messages on and Thankyou again I find this forum a great help as if you don’t ask you don’t know !!! And at least we can be abit more prepped for it if u can ever be a bit more prepped …!!! But Thankyou and I really appreciate your advice xxxx

hi Janette,
I too have just been diognosed and i am new to this site. I have been living with the pain for 6 months before they found out what was wrong. I am finding 60mg of codine and 1000 mg of paracetamel helps at night. I am still very sore if I try and turn over but if i lay on my back the pain will go.It has taken me months of sleepless nights to get to this point. I know the pain, it is unbearable especially at night. I have it in the same places as you and I do find it jumps to different areas. what about you?
I was against taking so many tablets but I am finally sleeping which helps in the day cope with the pain.
I hope this helps.

Hi Maldives and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

You may also find further support ideas and information via this link to the BCC secondary pages helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi all just a quick one for now, I was diagnosed with it in bones last week and confirmed yesterday it’s no where else at min thankfully. I’d just passed my 5 year! I am looking for advice and support and at a quick glance, you looked like a lovely bunch. Mind if I join you? I’m 50, 3 amazing kids and I very supportive dog. Sending best wishes to you all just starting down this scary path too x