1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sentinal node biopsy

8 REPLIES 8

Re: sentinal node biopsy

thank you everyone or your advice, Im not too sore after the SNB so was relieved about that, worse thing was i managed to pick up a gastric bug in the hospital as spent the last 2 days virtually in the loo! bad stomach cramps too, completely took my mind off my sore arm !
I have to go back on Thursday to meet the plastic surgeon, hopefully some of my test results will be back too.
How much longer I have to wait for full results, I dont know, just want to get this over with now, MX and recon is suggested so far, thats all I know as yet.
As soon as I have a date for MX I will get my daughter back from France to look after me and walk the dog ! and cook and clean !!!and shop !
Sick note for work, then recover - hopefully ........

Hi Wendy
I had bilateral SNB a couple of weeks ahead of WLE surgery. After-effects were minimal, and although I followed the advice - no driving, hoovering or ironing (who wouldn't) for a few days, I did feel a bit of a fraud.
OH does most of the dog-walking in our house so that wasn't a problem.
If your daughter is coming, I'd suggest for the immediate day or two after the surgery, although I think the advice was no driving for a fortnight. I think I remember this is an insurance thing and doesn't really take into consideration that you may be absolutely fine - as I was.
I had my WLE surgery about 2 weeks after. Now I'm wondering why it wasn't done at the same time as most seem to have.

Fingers crossed for clean nodes.

S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Wendy

Just thought I'd let you know how I got on. Had my sentinel node biopsy on a Thursday. Allowed home the same day. I was told to have the following day off and was then back in work on the monday. Can't say I had any pain afterwards but I was a bit cautious about stretching too far with my affected arm.

I received the results 8 days later. I then had my mastectomy and reconstruction a week after getting the results.

As far as the dog walking is concerned I'm sorry but I haven't got a clue. I only had my 6 chickens to worry about and they're not known for needing to be taken out for walks!

If your daughter has a limited amount of time she can spend with you then if it was me i'd be tempted to wait until after the mastectomy.

Good luck
Anne x

Guest user
Not applicable

Pepihorse
You shouldnt feel too sore after the snb, but if it tests positive they will probably take all your nodes when you have your breast surgery. You will then be sorer and thats when you might appreciate somne assistance - is it your left or right side and are you left or right handed?
I dont think you will manage a rottweiler for a while after surgery if you have the nodes removed ...especially if its your right side and you are right handed.
if its your left and you are right handed life will be easier but you will need a dog walker for a while!
Heres hoping your nodes are clear and best of luck for your breast surgery ....give your dog a hug from me (i think i'd be too scared to give him a real one!)
Mary M

Hi,

Like some of the other posts I had a SNB at the same time as my surgery, a WLE, so the surgeon could test to see if there were any cells so he could decide whether to take further nodes out. It was all clear, so I was only in overnight and went home the next day which was a Thursday. I had a pub lunch on the way home with hubby and then on the Friday went away for the week-end as originally planned.

I had no pain, only had two small sticking plasters and have had no trouble since with movement etc. I am back to full exercising including pilates and yoga which involve a lot of arm stretching and have noticed no difference between my good side and bad side.

I actually have had more pain and a bigger scar from the portacath that I had inserted on the other side for my chemo and Herceptin, and when I have that taken out my surgeon is going to do that so he can do a cosmetic job on it and make it look as good as the WLE and SNB.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I too have snb at the same time as my surgery, and to be honest I found the healing from this more of a pain than the surgery. I'm left with a small scar of about 3-4cm under my arm. The results were back two weeks later. I'm 4 weeks post surgery now and all back to normal, driving and good movement in arm, just make sure you do the recommended exercises.

Goidelic luck

Carolyn

At my hosp they do the SNB at the same time as the breast surgery. Some places do it the same day a few hours apart but at my unit it all gets done in theatre when you go for your op.... There is only 2 or 3 units in the uk licenses to do it this way. And I have heard of people going for their snb one day and surgery on another.

The results of bothe my snb and wle were back about 10 days after my op. but if your unit is delaying your op pending the results of the snb it's likely not to be too long. Why not give your Bcn a call and ask her who long it normally takes.

Good luck

Hi

I had a SNB and WLE, I was sore for a couple of days, but started on the exercises straight away which I think is sensible. I was told not to drive for 4 weeks in the end which was a bit of a pain. It all healed quite quickly but I did feel a bit vulnerable when out in crowds and was worried that people may bang into me and hurt me.

My results were available 2 weeks after surgery, it was a bit of a pain waiting but im not very good at it lol Sorry I didnt need further surgery so dont know how soon they will get you back

Anne

sentinal node biopsy

Thought I would now ask you helpful people here some more questions.....
I have Invasive ductal cancer, and have now got an appointment on Friday 17th Feb,to have a sentinal node biopsy they say its usually a day case, how will I feel afterwards? Sore I expect but what limitations will I have (live alone with large rottweiler ! who does like his walks!)
Also what is the usual time span for the mastectomy after this, have I got weeks of waiting for more test results? or do they generally come through fairly quickly? How soon after SNB do they usually get you back for the big job?
The reason I ask is my daughter wants to come home from France (she works there) to look after me, but I dont want to get her to come home before its necessary. Any advise would be appreciated please.........
Wendy x