sentinel node biopsy

In for mastectomy tomorrow; real panic hasn’t set in yet, maybe it won’t until I have to return for results. Gp gave me Tamazapan for the short term as there has been so much going on in our lives besides this that I’ve not known whether I’m coming or going.

I would appreciate knowing exactly happens pre surgery re the radioactive injection - I think I’m probably more concerned about that.

Many thanks and good wishes to all in the same boat

hi gant,

I had a sentinal node biopsy 6 june. Had radioactive injection the day before. Nothing to worry about really. They inject radioactive stuff near the site of the lump, it stings a little as it goes in, then you give the area a massage. 10 mins later you go in image area and you ly on a bed with your arm out in like a stirrup. You don’t move or they have to start all over again with the imaging. All over in 15 minutes. When you are under anastetic they put a blue dye in which you know nothing about until you go to the loo after.

Good luck. Essie.

Hi Gant, I am having a masectomy on wednesday and having the radio active injection tomorrow. I have now got to the point of thinking bring it on and let’s get it over with however I do not if I will be this brave after!!

Good luck for tomorrow I will be thinking of you and maybe we can compare notes later when both have recoveres some.

Sharon xx

Hi Essie and Sharon

Thanks for replying. That was just what I wanted to know thank-you Essie. I knew it involved an injection and X-rays, but couldn’t work out how they fitted together; good to know they follow each other and are not done at the same time. I’m scheduled for 9.30 and hopefully have the op later this morning though I’ve not been given a time. It seems a strange system as I have to be at the hosp for 7.45 this morniing but don’t go to my ward, instead hang around in an admittance ward described as a very comfortable lounge area, until surgery. I find the idea of injections into my boob very difficult, I don’t know why as I’ve had two lots of cysts drained in the past with minimal discomfort and didn’t find my core biopsy particularly uncomfortable either. Anywhere else doesn’t give me a moment’s concern.

Comforting to know of someone else having the same at about the same time Sharon. Like you, I’ve no concern about the op at all apart from getting it over and done with. I’ve been very calm all the way through, surprising myself really. I feel that I’ve had several “dress rehearsals” so far though, having been recalled after all my routine scareenings but fortuntely finding the lumps were only cysts. I think I’ve gone through all the emotions, panic and macabre thoughts already and was quite prepared for a tumour to be found this time! It also helped that I immediately fell in love with my surgeon upon meeting him, even though he’s half my age and I’m already happily married. I guess that the real panic will set in before the "results " appointment.

On the bright side, it’s my larger, saggier boob which is going; think of the instant weight loss. The prostheses I was shown were such pert little things - I wonder whether they do saggier ones for older women! Also it’s on my already substandard side - I have a right knee replacement and a dodgy right shoulder thanks to a fall which broke it a three years ago, so even being boobless on that side still leaves me with a good side for photos etc. Do keep in touch, I’ll think about you tomorrow.

In the meantime please could you have an extra cup of tea for me when you get up this morning, I have such cravings just now. I’ll do likewise for you tomorrow.

gandt xx

Dear Gandt and Sharon - Just wanted to say the very best of luck for you for your operations. Somehow after all the waiting for treatment it feels better once you get underway (I was diagnosed in November, and have since had chemotherapy and rads - two days to go, yeh!). Although the injection/s for the radioactive isotopes is a bit stingy, it is a tiny needle, and the sensation only lasts for a short time. Some surgeons use just that to find the sentinel node, some use the blue dye, some use both. Hold on to the fact that by benefitting from this procedure (not all places do it) you will only have your lymph nodes removed if that is necessary, and that’s a real bonus. I was lucky mine were clear. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on. Big hug. Sarah x

Hi all

I’m back and vaguely human again. The mastectomy went really well, little discomfort anywhere and only 3 lymph nodes removed. Unfortunately without knowing it, I was cultivating a cold when I went in. Came out after 48 hours and had to go to my GP in the afternoon as I could feel a nasty throat (not sore but hoarse) coming on. She gave me antibiotics as a precaution, but a low dose. Things went from bad to worse and I ended up calling in the emergency Dr on the Sunday as by then I had a chest infection and really heavy cold. Am now on my second lot of antibiotic horse pills and coming round a bit, but had to spend a week in bed as i felt really poorly.

I couldn’t go back for my results, but the BC nurse was allowed to phone them through; bless her, she did so at 9am so I didn’t have to wait till my 4pm appt and the news couldn’t have been better - I’m now completely clear and need no further treatment other than medication.

Just starting to fill up with fluid, in fact I’m growing a baby boob which seems to be reacting to touch like a water bed - quite fascinating really. Must ring up tomorrow to make an appt to have it drained before it starts getting uncomfortable.

I’ve been thinking about you Sharon; I did have that extra cup of tea for you last Wednesday morning.

Hugs and good wishes
gandt x x

Hi Gandt,

Glad things went well for you! Hope I do as well as I have had my results and I have to have a mastesctomy 14 July. I’m having immediate recon with a tissue expander( don’t know why they call it immediate cause its not) Just really want to be home with my kids asap. This thing has messed my life up too much already, lost 2 stone nearly 3 now and I’m sure to put it back on with chemo, I lost the weight so I looked at a friends wedding (which I can’t go to now) and so I could enjoy my hols with the kids (which also I can’t go on.) Sorry about the moan, hubby has just had his hols he’s flying back from vegas as we speak. NOT FAIR!!!

Best wishes

Essie xx

Hi Essie

Oh, poor you, what a lot to contend with, and what a lot of waiting you’ve had to put up with; I think that alone would have sent me doolally. Mine has all been so quick and right in the middle of the busiest time of the year (we were involved in two charity events, one of which takes over our life for the month of June) that I still haven’t had time to think. It’s all been surreal really, and now that I have such a complete all clear, it doesn’t seem worth thinking about any more. I feel a bit of a fraud on this site now, reading about all those people like you having to put up with so much. I found it bad enough telling my “children” ( 33 and 36) and am full of admiration for those of you with young children who manage to keep everything as normal as possible for them. I hope when this is all over and you’re on the mend, you have the chance of a really good holiday yourself, you must be such a kind and generous person to make it feel OK for your family to go on holiday without you.

Moan away to me; whenever you need to.

Love and hugs

Penny (gandt being a rather appropriate pseudonym inspired by my current favourite tipple!)

HI Penny (Gandt) I like you am now back i n the world. I had to saty in for a full wek as my drain kept draining!! bloody typical. I also like you am feeling good although very sore under my arm, I presume where they took 4 lymph nodes. I get the results next tuesday but not even thinking about that at the mo will face that bridge if and whn I have to. Congratulations to you for your news that is excellant. Will let you know how I get on. My son fretted whilst I was in hospital, maybe seeing the blood in the drain did not help but is back ot his usual chattty self(he is 7) and asking relevant questions like do you take your false boobie out at nite etc.

thanks Seabird for your words of wisdom x

Thinking of you as you make your recovery
Love Sharon xx

Hi Penny and Sharon (and essie - remember me from another thread love x)

I wanted to comment on both of your postings and say keep it up - the sense of humour is still intact and long may it reign - I find it the best way to fight this thing. I had my mastectomy on 28th May and have just started chemo…I agree about the arm - it’s the worst be isn’t it (I must try harder with exercises! :wink:
Anyway, today I went to a lingerie shop in Marlborough as I’d heard they did mastectomy bras…Well I came out of there feeling 10ft tall and sexy with two “normal” bras of a completely different size from what I have been wearing for the last xxx years! No huge straps and no pockets! I have my comfy falsie in and it is secure and going nowhere! Now I can go and be fitted for “real” pretend boobie (my 5yolds term) and I feel really good about myself. Can’t quite believe i’m a DD! Ha Ha! Feel really good that I can still buy sexy underwear…let me know when you’re both ready and i’ll give you the info if you want it - I want everyone to feel like I do today…:-)))

More importantly - all the very best with your recovery - Penny, great news on your results, really pleased for you - Sharon, good luck with yours, let us know how you get on.

Sending you good smiley vibes
Love Hayley xx

Hi all

Lovely to have you back Sharon, no doubt your family feel that too. It’s quite difficult when you’re suddenly without all those lovely caring nurses though isn’t it. I’ve been lucky as my daughter came to stay and she is a nurse; boy did we need her when I was ill. It felt very strange though, suddenly going from “mum” to baby! You’d an awful long stay didn’t you Sharon, it must have been so frustrating, unsurprising that your son fretted as he wouldn’t understand why you couldn’t come home as you probably seemed fine to him when he came to visit, just mum as usual. I bet you’ll get some wonderful questions out of him, and no doubt he’ll have a great deal of kudos at school for a while, I’m afraid that everyone in his class will know about your false boob, that’s just too good a story for a little boy to keep to himself! Just think, he can talk openly about boobs without getting into trouble, WHAT an opportunity.

Thanks for your support Hayley, bra info will be great when we need it though I’m afraid my figure is past sexy underwear, and, I go for the “hold up and hold in” variety but draw the line at magic knickers. I lost my newly expanding boob yesterday as I had it drained; I knew there was a lot of fluid there, but I was surprised at just how much. Strangely enough, it isn’t quite as comfortable without all the padding! As they promised, it was a completely painless proceedure.

love and hugs
Penny x x x

How you doing today GandT,
I am still sore, not painful under my arm but have realised which helps this is because the area is so ultra sensitive at the moment. I still cintyinue to do the exercixes and getting better.
Hope you have a good day Love Sharon xx

Hi Sharon

Feeling a bit better every day, but it’s going to be slow I suspect, it feels rather like getting over flu. I’ve had to get going a bit as my poor OH caught my cold and hasn’t been feeling too good, he was running a temperature yesterday and really felt off it so I had to be the carer. He’s a bit better today and it hasn’t gone onto his chest thank goodness - he does need TLC though as he has Parkinson’s; not too badly as yet, but he does have his “off” days with that anyway.

Glad to hear that you are getting to feel a bit better, try not to rush it though, won’t you (though I know it will be hard as you have your son to think about too.) Sally, my daughter rings every day to find out how I am and to quiz me intensly as to what I’ve been doing. The little white lies are creeping in as I don’t tell her all as she gets very fierce with me if she thinks I might have overdone it! She’s the equivalent of a matron and it shows!

I’ve been very lazy with the exercises, couldn’t anyway manage them when I was ill; my BC nurse was very pleased with my shoulder mobility nevertheless, and I must admit that I can do all the movements now as well as I could before the op.so I’ve obviously been lucky.

Hi I have posted this on a different thread but just to let those who “know me” saw consultant today and told need 2nd op to remove the rest of nodes …AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

love sharon xx

Oh poor Sharon, what a blow. When do you have to go in for that? I do feel for you.

I’m having a bit of a rough time with a patch of very sore skin, went back to see the BC nurse today about it. She drained more fluid off and it does feel a bit better, but some of teh fluid is to be tested as there’s a slight chance it might be a bug. Personally I think it’s just from my clothes rubbing, as I do have ultra sensitive skin in some areas. Didn’t know about my boobs before, but then I’ve never had them “interfered” with before! Anyway, your problems put mine into perspective.

Keep us posted won’t you.

Love and hugs
Penny

Aw Sharon - that’s terrible. I had that too, but my surgeon used the same scar line etc, so it’s no more “ugly” than it was. Mind and do your arm exercises afterwards though - you don’t want any further problems. At least you have an excuse for climbing the wall!!

Penny & Sharon, you are both in my thoughts, and I hope all goes well for you both after this trial.
Seabird - congratulations on getting to the end of this particular road - all the best to you for the rest of the journey
Take care
Sue xx