seroma around reconstruction

Hi all

I have posted this on behalf of new user Marian:

seroma around reconstruction

Marian says on 06 Oct 2011 10:38

6 months ago I had an implant replaced since then it has continually filled with fluid which I have drained on at least TWENTY occasions has
anyone else had this many drains ? and what was the eventual outcome ??
Marian

Marian,
so sorry to hear of you having problems. My implant wouldnt settle down and i had seroma after seroma but mine started leaking out, no, it was actually pouring out from my scar. eventually i had to have my implant removed due to infection, which is probably not what you want to hear. I have now let my body settle down for a few months and they are trying to put the implant back in next month.
I really hope you get this sorted cause i know how dishearteneing and depressing it can be.

good luck

deed
x

Hi Marian,

So sorry but I’m in same boat as deed, seromas around implant, then infection, finally removed this week. Again, sorry this is probably not what you want to hear and hopefully someone will come on who’s had an infection, seroma and kept the implant throughout treatment.

I struggled with mine for two months before it finally came out, and it’s held up chemo. With any luck I’ll start on that in a week or two. In hindsight I’d have had it out when I t got the first bad infection and at least I would have been on chemo now and a little further down the line.

I was in a bad mental state earlier in the week, grief stricken really at losing the implant and having to be completely flat for the foreseeable future and people on this site, including Deed, really helped me. So please don’t be afraid to let rip on this forum or ask any questions you’d like to.

I also feel I must say that it’s physically wonderful to have had it out, it never felt good and gave me low level pain and discomfort since it was put in in July. So there’s a big upside!

Best wishes

Alison x

Ps Marion - I do intend to have recon using my own tissue when I’ve had radiotherapy, and I’ve been told that that will be fine. So perhaps this is still an option for you?

Dear Marion

Sorry to read of your experience with your implant. It must be a very worrying time for you.

My implant did not fill with fluid, but it came through my skin. I had it taken out two and a half weeks ago now, and the area was replaced with muscle and tissue from my back.
In a few weeks, my ps will try to re-introduce my implant, and fingers crossed, it will behave itself!

I wonder whether the LD flap will be an option for you at a later stage?

Naz xx

Posted on behalf of new user Marian

6 months ago I had an implant replaced since then it has continually filled with fluid which I have drained on at least TWENTY occasions has
anyone else had this many drains ? and what was the eventual outcome ??
Marian