severe nausea/vomiting with FEC

I’m stuck ! It was a difficult decision to have chemo in the first place - my tumour was grade 2 and quite small. I had a lumpectomy then mastectomy (as I didn’t have clear margins) and sentinal node biopsy. Although they didn’t find any cancer in the 3 lymph nodes they removed the tumour showed “vascular invasion” and that scared me enough to opt for the FEC chemo. I am 8/8 ER and PR +ve and will have Tamoxifen after chemo . I’ve had 3 cycles out of 6.

I have had really severe nausea/vomiting for 5-6 days each time.I’ve been so ill it has been difficult to try to keep the required amount of fluid down and I lose a lot of weight each time - and I’m very small to begin with! They have tried a wide range of anti sickness regimes but they in themselves knock me out, make me dizzy, very drowsy and lowsy!

I see yet another oncology consultant on 10th Sept and am due to have my 4th cycle on 12th September. I am at the point of dreading it, wonder if I should quit but terrified of that too. Has anyone else been in a similar situation or has any advice? I could cope with all the other side effects but the severity and length of the nausea/vomiting is awful.

So sorry to read this, but good to know that your team are actively trying to help with antisickness measures.

Maybe you should discuss this with your oncologist when you next see them?  I think I read somewhere that the first four cycles are reckoned to be the most important (based on some clinical trials I presume) so I would definitely try to have at least one more cycle if you can face it.  The question you have to answer for yourself, I guess, is the ‘will I regret it if I quit and it comes back?’  The only right answer is your answer… and you will find that answer. 

It is whether you can bear nine more weeks of this - and I can’t answer that for you. Not sure this helps much, but one thing I can say is that once chemo is done the memory fades remarkably quickly and life does get easier and more enjoyable again.

Take care of yourself.

FEC is nasty sicky stuff isn’t it?  I didn’t mind the vomiting so much, but the nausea…

And the anti-sickness drugs didn’t seem to do anything (in my case anyway).

Fortunately I had FEC-T, so after 3 cycles I could wave goodbye to the nausea and vomiting.  Tax isn’t a walk in the park, but at least you skip the nausea and vomiting.

Why not ask your onc about having 3 cyles of taxotare instead of 3 more FEC?   There is nothing like a change in side effects.  

Then by the time you’ve had 3 cyles of tax and want another change, you’re down with chemo!

Hi Hearty, sorry you are feeling rubbish. Your cancer sounds very similar to mine smallish, grade 2 er 8/8 and with lvi and I had the dilemma whether to have the chemo or not. Like you I opted in. I’ve only had one so far and was really nauseous for 9 days. Saw my ONC yesterday and he is giving me emend next time. Other people tell me it is the wonder drug. Have they tried this on you. I know you probably feel there is a long way to go but you have done half already and that is a great achievement. Just wanted to send you some good wishes, just remember why you chose to have chemo in the first place, having said that only you can decide if you can face the se again. Really hoping your team can sort something out for you. Good luck xx

Hi hearty, I was hideously sick from about 7 in the evening after my first dose of fec t for three days. I was given lorazepam to make me sleep but I vomited as soon as I woke up! For my 2nd dose I was given emend in tablet form and I would say it was an improvement in that I still felt nauseous and had no appetite but I was not actually sick. I have it again for my third dose this Thursday. If you have not had it, ask if you can try it. The vomiting is so debilitating but I would continue with the treatment plan, it will all be a distant memory in 6 months. That’s what I’m telling myself! Good luck x

Hi

I too am suffering with sickness, nausea and weight loss. Just finished my 3 FEC and they have no change my anti sickness drugs to granistron and cyclizine. Wondered if anyone had tried these x

Been lucky all things considered compared to some of you.had 3 fecs and been given a very strong anti sickness pill…don’t know the name…an hour before they do the chemo.this last cycle I only had nausea for about 2 hours that evening, with the other 2 nausea for a couple of days but only low level and no sickness.I have a real thing about being sick so I was very thankful.

Im Marghe and am new to this forum. Had my first fec chemo on friday. Had Emend so didnt experience vomitting but feeling nauseaus today. Any suggestion?

Hi

Feel terrible moaning, but…

I have just had my 2nd cycle of FEC-T.  Due 4 more. Will have 1 year of herceptin and 10 years of Tamoxifen.  Also having GCSF injections.  

I am really struggling with nausea.  I don’t mind the tiredness, or even (so much) the bony pains and soreness from the GCSF.  The nausea and vomiting hit a few hours after the first cycle and lasted about 3 days where I mainly drank water and the odd slice of dry toast.  After that it was more managable and eating little and often helped.   Definitely better but not great by 3rd week.  My oncologist reduced my doses by 20% this cycle and added Aprepitant.  But I have been every bit as nauseus this time, only getting no relief by vomiting (the Aprepitant stopped that).  I’m also having Ondansetron and Metoclopramide, which don’t seem to be helping much.  

This time around I still have managed to eat and drink as little as last time.  

Has anyone got any ideas? I am dreading the next few cycles, but trying to stay positive! Lucky it was found, lucky treatment is available!!

Hi I recently read on another site that peppermint tea or ginger tea can help.  Also ginger nuts (biscuits) can help.  Another suggestion was to use the anti sickness bands that help with sea sickness, they work on accupressure points on the wrist.  You may have to be extra careful to make sure they do not cause or aggravate lymphodema on the affected side.  I got some for my friend who has had a mastectomy and she said they worked.  They come with instructions and you can get them from chemists.  Hope this helps