should i go on a diet?????

Hi everybody,

just finished mx, chemo and rads (finished today),

I have gained 3 stones whilst having treatment, puttting it down to steroids and fluid retention partly, but also I have pretty much eaten what I wanted and when I could eat!!!

I am eating a lot of junk food and feel if I dieted (not only to lose weight, but also to eat healthier food)

There is a weight watchers meet local to where I live, if I join the group but inform the leader about the treatment I have just finished what do you think?

Any one else done this?

Thanks Liz xxx

Hi Liz

I have been using Tesco Diets online, I had lost 1stn when I was dx and although haven’t used it much whilst on chemo (other than to log my weight) I have pretty much managed to keep my weight as it was at dx. I am now back using it to help monitor fat, protein, veg and fruit intake as well as calories.

I have found it really useful to help me eat healthily and you can change the menu’s recommended to suit your own preferences. The only advice my Onc gave me diet wise is to ensure that I follow a healthy balanced diet and this certainly helps me do that.

DaisyGirl xx

I have done a lot of reading about dieting and come to the conclusion that whilst they work in the short term, nearly everybody puts the weight back on.

If you eat a lot of junk food then you may be surprised how changing to unprocessed food will make you slowely loose weight. It is such a big change for some people but is kinder to your body and you dont feel hungry. That realy means going back to cooking like granny used to do it but without the sugar and cakes and pastries.

Avoid all modern oils,stick to either proper butter (and use less if you are worried about too much fat) or good olive oil if you are worried about dairy. Buy and cook fresh food rather than anything out of a packet etc etc.

and avoid anything with an artificial sweetner. There is research to show that despite not having calories they give the same insulin response as sugary things and so give rise to cravings.

If you do that and just cut out sugar and starchy things (including starchy vegetables like potato) you will loose weight. It is just harder to fit into a busy day and takes more energy than sticking to supermarket food and counting calories.

First of all congrats on finishing treatment!

Don’t see why you shouldn’t join Weight Watchers, but think that evolution rather than revolution gives the best long-term sustainable results.

I have been known to do a short sharp regime to kick start weight loss and motivate me, but the sort of changes that OAL advises will be best long term.

I live alone and it’s hard to get motivated to cook a ‘proper’ meal every night. So I tend to batch cook my own convenience meals/pasta sauces, etc and freeze individual portions. Then it’s just a case of adding veg/salad. Don’t forget that alot of frozen green veg is as nutritous as fresh, nearly as tasty and often more convenient.

As your energy levels increase, try and find time for a bit of exercise as well - even if it’s only running up and down the stairs 20 times or going for a brisk walk.

Good luck!

Dx

yes there is the activity side too. there is some reseach to show that whereas planned activity (ie a gyn session or job) is good for toning muscles and for the cardiovascular system (two benefits not to be sniffed at) it is not that good at helping weight loss. After a hard session it is natural to just collapse and do nothing for quite some time whilst the body balances out the sudden demand on energy. Also people tend to “reward” themselves with a treat, usually somthing that imeadiately retocks all the energy they have just used.

Gradually getting more active in day to day life is a good way though. Get off the bus a stop earlier (or get on it a stop furthur away) park the car furthur away from the shops. ban lifts and escalotors. Go for an enjoyable walk or bike ride at a comfortable pace. Stand on the tube rather than sit, in fact try to get into the habit of standing when you have a choice. These are things that you can introduce as your energy levels rise after recovery and build in to the rest of your life. Unfortunately they are time consuming.

Hello
I have found being very forgetful a help - I haven’t the energy to go on the treadmill, but wandering round the house and up and down stairs from morning til night trying to remember what I’m doing, where I’ve put things etc has helped the muscle tone in my legs - unfortunately thats hidden under the cellulite though!

Hi Liz I too have put on 3 stone but as yet haven’t finished my treatment, and my chemo nurse said not while treatment is on going, but what I was going to say is before diagnosis last Christmas I was at weight watchers and lost 2 stone ( still had more to do ), and I found it brilliant, I have always eaten healthy ( not since being on chemo) and they take into consideration your medical history and what meds you take. I loved the recipes and some have become real family favourites. It’s nice to make new friends as well.
Good luck with it, and well done finishing your treatment. Xx

I joined a gym in November and go with my OH. During that time I have not lost anything, in fact I had gained 6lbs within weeks of starting. I’ve been signed up to WW online and am on week 5 now. I’m following the pro points method and am going up and down with the same 4lbs. It’s like I can’t lost it because I am post menopausal now, but I just don’t want to be 2 stones overweight in my 50s. I could understand it if we ate loads of takeaways and rubbish but we don’t as we cook most meals from fresh. I also freeze meals in advance and make all my own soups. OH makes bread, but I limit myself to about a slice a day.

Depending on what chemo you’ve had, you may find that fluid retention you built up during treatment goes away which will see off a good half stone or more if you’re lucky.

Lots of sensible suggestions on here, thank you ladies, I’ll be taking a look at the Tesco thing. I’m hoping it takes away any decision-making, as I’m dreadful at making decisions.

hi ladies,

thanks for all your comments and suggestions,

I have decided to eat healthy well balanced meals, cut out sweets, chocolates,biscuits etc,

eat more fruit and veg, try to be a bit more physically active,

and I figure that should just about do the trick, lol,

best wishes Liz xxxx