Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smoking ???

19 REPLIES 19
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: smoking ???

Hi all, I too am an ex-smoker, gave up at 30, took me 2 tries to finish once and for all - I have recurring dreams that I've started again, but no wish to actually do it!
You do really have to want to give up for yourself to succeed, and there's not much point in trying because you've been told to. If you don't succeed you'll just persuade yourself that you're a failure and won't ever give up!
A couple of things I'd like to point out though, there just isn't a valid argument that smoking might be harmless in some cases or it might be better for you not to give up at the moment because of stress or whatever. That's your addicted brain talking and making excuses to justify carrying on smoking. If you WANT to smoke, fine it's your choice, but don't let your addiction kid your logical mind that it's for the best to carry on - it isn't. If you think about it, is there ever a time when you have no stress at all? If you get into that mindset, you'll just never give up.
If you decide to stop you don't have to just give up, there's all kinds of help out there which you can access through your GP. There is nicotine replacement, counselling, hypnosis, pretend cigarettes that feel like real ones etc. Often it's the fear of not being able to smoke that puts you off.
Good luck for when you do decide to stop, and all the best for your treatments.
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

i have give up 2 times sorry make that 3 didnt smoke with baby 2 (i have 6 kids ) yer bad mommy smoking while having a baby but tbf all my babies were big but the one i didnt smoke with go figure that out , i want to give up im just not ready yet maybe after 13th when i know wots wot i will . i have gone to rolling me own just to slow me down if i carnt be arsed to roll one i dont have one if i was to buy a packet well 20 would be gone with in 3 hours so i dont buy them and rolling my own means i dont smoke the whole fag infact i only have half as i find it to strong mad isnt it i have been smoking for 30 yrs so its going to be a hard one but im sure when the time is right ill do it
as for making healing harder i only had op last week and all i got is a line on my breast so i carnt say its made that hard but i couldnt run to say my life and singing is so not me any more unless i want cats to come running lol .
i dont drink or go out(laptop is my key to the outside world ) smoking is all i do unless i get on the xbox in which you wont see me for days lol
maybe we could all try and stop together but only when we are all ready

Modbird88

I'm a smoker too and I was also told that this wasn't the best time to give up although I did cut down pre-op, only to go back to normal levels as soon as I was home again!

Tolliebelle I always feel a bit strange standing having a smoke when I come out of the Rads dept but not strange enough to make me stop yet. 🙂

liz3760

Hi all. I too thought i must be the only one who smoked so feel relieved now! My GP did say just after diagnosis that now is not the time to try to stop.Hopefully i will but at the moment it doesn't bear thinking about!Congrats to those who have!

Wandy

Thankyou Choccie!

Funny thing, both my sis and my best chum gave up at the same time as me and when I was dx they both hit the fags again!! they said they were too distraught to carry on...Go figure!!So do I feel smug or what???

Wandyx

Lulu34

im not a smoker although i did in my younger years but i know how hard it can be to give up... it can be heard when your not stressed out to the max so when you add that to the equation it can very hard indeed and many people actually take up smoking again when diagnosed.

you have to be in the right frame of mind and actually 'want' to give up and not just do it because you think its right, or expected or because somebody else tells you to.

until recently it was thought that smoking didnt increase the risk of breast cancer however i just recently read some research which said it could be a contributing factor... however like all contributing factors they only have a very small influence on the risk of breast cancer and the main causes are gender and age.

stopping smoking can help with wound healing and its less of a risk from anaesthetic... also smoking can influence the type of reconstruction that might be offered if you were to require it.

and if you decide to give up dont be too hard on yourself.... most people take a few attempts before they succeed so if you do try to stop and 'fall off the wagon' at least you will know you were able to stop for a wee while and hopefully next time it would be longer.

good luck all you smokey joes
Lulu xx

ChoccieMuffin

I'm an ex-smoker and gave up 25 years ago before getting pregnant with my first baby. I'm very glad I gave up, but the funny thing is, I have absolutely no desire to start again but I sometimes still smoke in my dreams. How weird is that!

We all know smoking's not good for you - increased risk of heart disease, increased risk of lung and mouth cancer, and generally all-round not good for you, but frankly if it's what you need to help you get from one end of the day to the other at the moment, don't beat yourself up.

Well done Wandy for managing to give up before getting hit by BC and staying off it.

Lisa_x

Oh thank you for this thread. I'm a smoker too. I gave up a week before my surgery but then started again just before Chemo. Every night I think I must not smoke tomorrow, but of course every day I do! I don't feel good about it, but I really need it right now.

Guest user
Not applicable

i am ready.sorry in advance for nasty me!!

J01

As you know from the 'sorry if I rant post' I'm partial to the odd woodbine he he .........Only joking I have had BC twice and NEVER even tried a puff!!! my husband.....now a reformed smoker said it's easy to give up smoking he did it loads of times!!!!!! well in the end he did and hasn't smoked for about 14 years so when YOUR ready and if you want to ...for whatever reason you will!! xx Jeanette

Guest user
Not applicable

maz,i 2 smoke, since dx i have doubled it! gave up wen havin babies but back on the weed, ur not alone, lets give it up 4 eva after treatment!glad im not the only one!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

of all the weeks i been a member here i thought i was on me own being a smoker well thank god i aint dont feel as bad now lol

Guest user
Not applicable

hi,im a smoker and do not intend to give up now.cancer is not going to take my pleasures away from me so i do what i want to do.

Guest user
Not applicable

try the e health -cigarette you can smoke that anywhere yes you do inhale and exhale but it isnt somke as we all know it and its safe so im told i just find i cough me guts up on it say alot for a smoker dont it

Tolliebelle

Hi Honeybee

I am a smoker too. have smoked for years have tried to give up in the past but without success!!! Must try when finished with all treatment as couldn't get through it without the faithful weed!!! I do feel a bit awful standing outside the onc dept before chemo puffing away before I go in! But needs must and not the right time to give up I don't drink though does that make up for it????? Probably not!!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

i too smoke .well sorta = about 5 or ten per day , when i was seen by the ONC yesterday he said " its wise if you dont smoke during chemo" never said why tho..

Laraine

Hi Honeybee
I too smoke although I know I shouldn't, but had mx almost 5 years ago, had my op friday afternoon & went home the following Sunday morning. I have to say I felt fine. Healed pretty quickly then had chemo & apart from feeling exhausted I was ok. Please don't worry too much about it, you have enough on your plate to cope with and I haven't heard of smoking being listed as a cause of breast cancer either.
Hope you go on ok
Laraine xx

Wandy

Hi honeybee,

I am a recent giver upper! I have smoked on and off virtually all my adult life, giving up for periods of years at a time and then taking it up again for some reason or another.

Last year I decided to have another go, my OH has never smoked and I thought, I'm 51 now, lets tackle all the bad, unhealthy things. Lose weight, give up fags etc etc!!

I gave up in September last year and was dx with bc in Jan this year.

Usually that sort of stressful news/event would have sent me over the edge and I would have started again, but I didn't this time, so one down and now just the drinking and eating to go!!!Following todays' theme of having to beat ourselves up about giving ourselves cancer cos of our lifestyle!

I still miss it, but I don't think I'll go back to it now.

I think you must do what feels right for you and certainly if no one is putting you under any particular pressure to do it at the moment, I would wait until it feels right for you, if it ever does.....

All the best whatever you do, just don't feel beat yourself up about it!

Wandyx

Nottsgal

Hi Honeybee, I've never smoked but looked into the link between smoking and BC because my step-daughter smokes and I thought my BC might persuade her to stop ;0). The Cancer Research web site doesn't list smoking as a cause. I think the smoking does make post-operative healing slower but I didn't find evidence it does much else re BC.

What, I'm trying to say, in amongst the waffling, is don't feel bad about smoking at the moment. The hospital probably thought you have enough to cope with, without giving up smoking too. When your treatment is over, you could think about giving up again.

Guest user
Not applicable

smoking ???

i have read about drinking being over weight ect but most ppl dont smoke am i the only one that does ? i am willing to give it up but have been told by the hosptial not to just yet untill i can bring the stress level down (when ever that will be )i have been good as to cut down and even been out a paid money on the e health -cigarette but i choke on it lol and before you ask i was wanting to give up before i was dx with bc just the stress of it has not help any one else smoking or giving up