so scared

Oh wow…stumbled across the forum hoping to feel better but it just rammed it home to me that it may not all be ok at all!
First found a lump months ago but thought it was cycle related, anyway a friend of a friend was diagnosed at 29 which made me think about my lump. Anyway, it was still there, saw my gp last Wednesday am did my urgent referral and I go it thursday. … 8 days from one appt. to the other. I am worried, terrified in fact! My mum has had numerous non cancerous lumps removed but there are various cancers in both family lines (although apparently this doesnt increase my risk) so I should be feeling ok right? Problem is, my periods started at 9, I was smoking at 12 (quit 3yrs ago at 32) both of which apparently increase my risk.
I know i’m being seen super fast which is good and yet makes me fear the worst! We just buried 4 (yes 4!!!) loved ones in the last 13 months to cancers and my father had a maior heart attack a couple of months ago so I can’t even talk to mum as this will push her over the edge whichever side lands up.
Anyway, my lump is hard just outside the areole area I don’t think it moves (but obviously the tissue above it does) and I can’t stop prodding it now (like its gonna disappearbor something. …)
How many of you lovely ladies had good news???
(Please)

Hi lionesseh and welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

You may find the information in the following link to the BCC ‘Worried about breast cancer’ page helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=promo&%3Butm_campaign=worried

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thank you for that. Fingers crossed Thursday will bring good news- for me and everyone else waiting on good news! Xx

Hi lionessah,

I’m sorry you’ve found yourself in this position, worrying about your lump. It may seem a bit like doom and gloom on these forums sometimes, but bear in mind that most of the people who continue to use these, and reply to posts etc. have had a cancer diagnosis… Most people, once they’ve had good news, don’t need the support on here anymore. So for every person on here who has cancer, hundreds no longer stay in touch because they’ve had good news!!! I hope that gives you some reassurance.

The main thing is that you’ve gone to your doctor and been referred. The hard part now is to try not to worry too much until you know what you’re dealing with. As I said, hopefully it’ll be nothing, and your age is on your side. There are cases of young women being diagnosed with BC, but these are comparatively few and far between.

So, my advice at the mo is, try not to worry, and do things to occupy your mind so that you don’t give yourself a chance to get preoccupied!! Hope this helps, even just a little bit. Take care, Mel. X

Thank you ladies xxx hope to post good news and a false alarm later today. But you’re right, I guess most people don’t come on if they get the all clear. Sat here waiting…

Best of luck… Please let us know how you go… I really love to read good news, so I truly hope I’ll be reading yours later!! Best wishes ladies. xxx

Well ladies. Not too sure how to feel :-/ breasts are ‘massively cystic’ (not too surprising considering I have pco’s too ) and although they found 2 more lumps that they suspect are fibroadenomas the lump I presented with is 34mm and they said it needed to be biopsyed and now have to wait til 27th for results. So still unsure. Consultant recommended getting genetic testing done too as I am at ‘moderate risk’
I dunno, one minute he sounded positive and the next not so.
Is it normal to biopsy regardless?

Hi lionessah,

It’s certainly not unusual for biopsies to be taken regardless. It’s a good thing they’ve done this. It will determine exactly what the lump is made up of, so you’ll know what you are dealing with.

The hard part now is the additional waiting. Try to keep your mind busy until you get your biopsy results.

Again, best of luck. Mel. xxx