so worried about lump

Hello new here & really hope someone can advise me please!!
I’m a 44yr old mum of 5, never suffered from any breast lumps befoer, just tenderness before my period. Anyway feel a bit embarrassed writing this but i have to to tell you why i’m worried. Well a few weeks back while me & the hubby were getting passionate he got quite rough when biting my nipples, anyway mostly on 1 breast ( the right one) than the other, had to tell him to stop as it hurt alot, the next day i had bruising to my breast which only went a few days ago, it was this time i was examining my breast & looking to see if the bruising had gone that i felt a little lump by the nipple area (this being last sunday) i was also on my period when i felt the lump just finished yesterday. What i’m asking is can a lump develop after bruising through this kind of trauma?? The lump has not gotten any bigger & i have to lean forward to feel for it ( if that makes sense) I’m really worried as my mum died of breast cancer at just 49.
Please any thoughts?? Thanks…

Hi evie, my only advice is go to your gp, you will not stop worrying otherwise, yes it is embarrassing but docs have seen/heard it all before, the sooner you see someone the sooner it can be sorted out, your gp should refer you to the breast clinic, especially as your mum had bc at a young age, so the worry doesn’t really go away at the beginning. But I’ll keep everything crossed that it will be ok for you , thinking of you at this worrying time x

Hi Evie,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good support.

As crazy cat lady has said, it’s best that you get this checked out as soon as possible to be on the safe side, but do remember that the majority of breast problems are not breast cancer. If you would like to talk to someone in confidence before you get to see your GP, then please do phone the helpline here and have a chat with one of the nurses - they’re here to support you. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon - Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Hope this helps. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Thankyou both so much for your replies. I’m going to go see my Gp tomorrow after work, we have open access at my surgery so i know i will get to see him tomorrow, don’t really want to go to see my Gp with him being male, sounds silly i know after me having 5 kids, but don’t really like him, but yes i know i’ve got to go & get this sorted, i’m just so scared… I will let you know how i get on, once again thankyou…x

Hi Evie - go and get it checked out. It may well be nothing - I know my gp asked me if I had hurt my breat recently, even before he’d examined me, so it may well be related to the bite (and don’t be embarassed, be proud you still have a great sex life after five kids - good girl!!).

However, be prepared that your gp may refer you to the breast clinic if he is at all uncertain - and view this as a positive thing - you will get thoroughly checked out with mammogram etc etc, and will know for certain. Most breast lumps are nothing to worry about, and I’ll keep it all crossed that yours falls into that category.

Do keep posting on here - but don’t go googling breast cancer signs and symptoms etc etc, it’s truly tempting but you will scare yourself silly for no good reason. Please let us know how you get on.

Sophie xxx

Thankyou Sophie, your post did make me smile :slight_smile: As i posted earlier yes i’m going to see my Gp tomorrow, we have open access so i know i will get to see him after work tomorrow. Its been a week now since i felt it, i wanted to wait until my period finished which it did on Friday. Seems now i have to try really hard to find it, sort of lean forward & grab my breast in my hand is the only way i can feel it, were as last week i could feel it more easily, dunno if thats a good thing or what? Anwyay Thankyou again & i will keep you posted xx

GET IT CHECKED - An do not be embarrassed - tell your full story so the docs know what happened. it’s far far better to know than to sit worrying. be prepared to get reffered. they probably will automatically as you have family history. Whatever this is it need to be checked by a professional. I truly hope & trust it will turn out not to be BC. as a relatively young woman of 44 too I empathise with you esp with children. massive hugs & go ASAP!!!

Well just wanted to update, only went to see my GP yesterday,( had tummy bug so not been very well) I haven’t been able to feel the lump the last 2 days, but went to see doc anyway, he couldn’t feel anything either. Told him what had happened with hubby biting me etc, said it was probably from the bite,( deep down that it was i thought because the lump was in the area he had bit & bruised. To be honest he didn’t seem that bothered giving my family history, just told me to keep on checking my breasts & come back if worried about anything!! Well ladies i’m so happy that the lump has gone or shrunk or whatever ??? I’m sure you all know what i’ve been through this last week all the worry & anxiety. My mum died of breast cancer & she was only 49 & all’s i could hear wa her voice teling me ‘‘if you ever feel & lump or are worried go & get it checked’’, my poor lovely mum seeing how she suffered… But one thing this last week of worry has made me realise that checking your breasts is so important & i will continue to do it regular. Thankyou for your support you are a great bunch of ladies on here & what some of you have been through you are such an inspiration. Thankyou again xxx

evie, I’m so pleased for you. Hopefully that’s the one and only lump you’ll ever have to worry about!! Now… go make your oh pay for all your trauma… hmmm, slap up meal, night at the pub, diamonds…

Sophie xx

Thankyou so much Sophie, yes think i’ll be havin a few glasses of wine at our works xmas party on saturday to celebrate, & certainly won’t be letting my hubby loose on me again, haha :)… Take care & thankyou again xx