starting Letrozole and feeling anxios

Hi I am new to the forum. I am six weeks post left mastectomy for IDC and 2 weeks post lymph node surgery (5 taken all clear so no chemo) . I am about to start taking Letrozol and having just read the leaflet re side effects I am feeling anxious to say the least! I know I have to get on with it and I would welcome any thoughts anyone has. It is a tough old journey we are on. I know I am lucky avoiding chemo and radiotherapy but I seem to have morphed into a total wimp who quails at everything.

Oh dear ! Can’t help you at the moment but I am going to be on it too and the leaflet they gave me was a bit off putting. I am assuming they go through all the possibilities so you can’t say yo haven’t been warned but I am hoping they are exaggerating. Perhaps we could compare symptoms late. xxx

Everyone responds differently to Letrozole. I had hot flushes for about 6 weeks but they have gone. The way it saeems to affect me is short term memory but I know it is happening and make notes. So my story is positive. I hope yours is the same.

Hi catokitty,l .was like you before l started taking letrozole.reading up on all the side affects but l started in the beginning of december and l can honestly say l haven’t had anything major that affects my day to day living.l shouldn’t temp fate,l think you have to give them a try and see how you get on.if they don’t agree with you see your oncologist and he will put you on another tablet.good luck lol x

Hiya

There are several good threads about anastrozole (letrozole) on here, I’ve used them all and one on Living with and beyond breast cancer -recovering from treatment.

Most of us seem to have some effects and a lot seems to depend on the brand that you are given.

I’m like you no rads or chemo. 

Side effects seem to differ as well

Find I still need support though

beryl x

HI catokity,

Im honestly not sure what drug im going to be on, my doctor should get details next week, i got a leaflet for tamoxifen but im not sure if thats the one as im HR2 negative and thought you couldnt have that if that. Was  so pleased not having chemo i dont think i took all else oncologist was saying in. I have started to take an alendronic acid for my osteoporosis risk, but to be honest with taking the other drugs and fact it seems to make me got to loo more,i dont think ill take it, I can deal with threat of osteoporosis with diet exercise etc,somehow the risk of cancer not returning seems the the most important thing to deal with. and take tablets for.Ive started to have night sweats again, all those years on HRT now they are back. Not enjoyable, felt like the heat of summer last night i threw bedclothes off,i never wear PJs anyway, couldnt now too hotloljune

I was you last September …Im 52 and Letrozole was the first prescription drug I’ve ever taken other than the odd antibiotic. I read the leaflet and was so worried. Ive struggled with my weight and just as I was losing it I was diagnosed with bloody BC and reading the leaflet I thought I’d pile it all back on. I love walking but worried my joints would grind away and I’d be in agony …I sat looking at the tablet for nearly an hour before I took it. Suffice to say …none of the above came true !! In the first few days I had peripheral odema - hands and feet swoll a bit but Doc gave me a mild water tablet to take which sorts that. No other problems at all - Ive now lost 5st 5lbs and wslk loads. BUT I take my tablet at bedtime as when I took it in the morning I did feel a bit sicky (nothing bad) & I had a few flushes …taking it at bedtime means these side effects happen while I sleep so it’s fine. I walk for miles and dont have anymore aches and pains than my “old” 52 yr body felt ! Six months on i can honestly say I feel no different on Letrozole …also changing brands doesn’t seem to matter to me either. I was looking for side effects to start but they didn’t ! Try taking it at night - I promise you’ll be fine Good luck xx

Hi, I’ve been taking Letrazole for two years now. The main side effects I have are joint pains/aches and fatigue. I just feel that as it reduces the risk of recurrence by 50%, nothing would induce me not to take it.

Hi. I started on Anastrozole in November following chemo, WLE and lymph node clearence then radiotherapy. I have had a few side effects the worst one being chronic back and hip pain which is limiting me to how far I can walk. Walking is my form of exercise and now the pain is putting me off going very far. Also in the last few days I have noticed my vision is becoming very blurred but not sure if this is another side effect of the drug. I am going for my annual eye check on Tuesday so will mention it to them. I have not put any weight on though which is good infact since I started treatment I have lost weight and infact I was surprised that I had lost another Kg when I went to the drs last week. I am just grateful that all my treatment has been successful and the side effects of Anastrozole seem a small price to pay. Good luck.