starting cebcytabine in september

Hi am about to start cebcytabine (spelt wrong im sure) in september! have had Taxotare and wasnt to impressed with side effects! achy legs, no taste buds etc etc! was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience of this drug! would love to talk to people! tracey x

Hi Tracey,
I am guessing you mean capecitabine (probably also spelt wrongly!), also known by the brand name Xeloda, which an oral chemotherapy taken in tablet form twice a day for two weeks then a week off?

I’m just completing my second course of Xeloda, and for me the side effects have been much more bearable than the dreaded tax which I had in 2008. I think the most common side effect is hand/foot syndrome where palms and soles become red and sore, but to date that hasn’t happened to me. In fact to be honest I am hardly noticing any side effects at all, so if this the drug you will be taking I hope it will be as straightforward for you.

Best wishes,
J x

hi tracey jjust finished 2nd round of capecitabine and overall not so bad, felt mild nausea this round and headachey and tired but nothing like fec/d i had before xxx

Hi j and fairyqueen

thanks for the info on capecitabine (your spelling looks better than mine) hopefully shouldnt be as bad as the taxotare then! Was advised to continue with using dark nail polish have you had any problems with nails or were you given any tips? thanks again nice to know people are out there ahead of me doing ok! t x

Hi again Tracey,

I forgot to mention that, assuming you are the same as me, when you start the tablets you also get an information pack including a DVD with information about the drug for both you and your friends/family and a diary to keep track of the tablets and note down any symptoms. This was far more information than I have received for any other chemo drug (it’s my 7th), and I have found the diary in particular very useful for remembering exactly what happened when once I go to my next appointment.

I am painting my nails, but mainly because I’m also on Abraxane, which is another taxane like taxotere.

Jx

thanks j will read package when it gets here

t x