cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo March 2015?

Highlighted

starting chemo March 2015?

Hi
I'm Sarah and will be having 6 sessions of FEC starting prob on March x anyone else out there who wants to have virtual hand holding ( I need it!!) please jump on board xxx
136 REPLIES 136
Highlighted

Hi Sarah, hope everything went well at the hospital. I have requested to join the group on facebook, Hugs, Janey xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sarah,

Hope your hospital appointment went ok today *hugs to you*.  I have sent a request for facebook to join your group.

Wishing all you lovely ladies about to start chemo all the best, I have had one session and although I was sick and felt sick for a few days since then I have felt fine :-).  Today my hair has started shredding (awake most of the night with a sore scalp so I guess that was the sign).  I am not looking forward to losing my hair and I am sure there will be tears each day now until it has gone.  I have some hats from Anna Bandana - quite nice and reasonable in price, would definately recommend and today have got my wig!  I actually like it and feel okay in it so I am hoping that will ease the transition along.

Good luck to you all with your treatments xxx

Lynda

Highlighted

Hey Sarah,hope youve had a good day?Smiley Happy

Hope the Hysteroscopy goes okay....

I cried too when I cut my long hair off,but was prepared for it all,so tried to just see it as a positive, to getting better and yes it will grow back..x

love Rachel xx

Highlighted

Jets, how do I message you my email address if I want to join FB group?
Highlighted

I'm starting my chemo on 10th March and as you say all the side effects sound scary.
I'm a novice re Facebook but do have an account opened years ago by my daughter. Do people stop posting on this thread and use more private forum of Facebook?
Highlighted

Tommorow is the big day for me, my first EC chemo! and I am getting scared now.  I've been today for my pre chemo assessment, the nurses were all realy lovely but the list of side effects and warnings about infections has got me panicking again.

I was thinking of using the cold cap but the nurse said she had never seen anyone use it in the time she has worked on that ward which surprised me. She said I was welcome to try it but not hopeful of it working so I have decided not to bother.  I have an appointment with the hospital hairdresser/wig supplier before my treatment tomorrow so just hope I can find something that looks ok as the reality that I will lose all my hair has suddenly hit hard today.

On a lighter note I received the bandanas I had ordered today and decided to try them on in the bathroom.  Got one out of the packet and it flew out of my hands and straight down the toilet! Good job I had only just cleaned the bathroom but it is now sitting in dettol before being washed. It could only happen to me!

At least after tommorow I will be one chemo down, 7 to go.  I think there are a couple of other ladies starting tomorrow so I wish you good luck too.  Hugs, Janey xxxxx

Highlighted

Linda. Facebook is as easy as this site once you get started. Good luck!
Highlighted

Hi Ladies

I am just popping in from January 2015 starters (January Gemstones)... hope you are all doing ok.

Lolk - I though I would just chip in re the cold cap... I am using a Paxman machine and have been shown how to use it by Paxman themselves (chemo nurses also agreed with this way).  You do dampen your hair and put conditioner on before the cap goes on (helps the conductivitiy and to stop the cap sticking to the frost on your head!!) and you will need a stretchy hairband to protect your forehead/hairline from the cold.

I won't lie to you, it is really really cold and gets worse as your hair thins (mine has, yours might not), and it does make the chemo take longer as you have to wear it before, during and after (the length of time is dependant on your exact treatment but mine is 30 mins before, during chemo and then 2 hours after). But whilst I have an unsightly bald/very thin patch on the top of my head the back and sides are still fully covered with hair (so yes I suppose I look like Friar Tuck!!!).  I am embracing hats and scarves at the mo, but plan to persevere in the hope that I do not lose too much more and when the chemo ends (I have number 3 of 6 FEC on Thursday) it will be easier/quicker to grow into somesort of style.  It's not for everyone but I realised that if I didn't try it the first time then there is no going back.

Sorry for waffling but wanted to try to help.

Good luck as you start on your journey ladies... stay strong and positive.

Love Lou xx

Highlighted

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Marvels2015/

Hi Lynda - closed group so not sure if it will come up x if u would like to join message me your email address and I'll send u the link xx you will be very welcome x
Highlighted

Sarah is your facebook page uk March Marvels? I have searched it but cant find it? x
Highlighted

Hi linda - uk March Marvels xx
Highlighted

Hi Sarah,

Is the facebook page the Uk one? or have you started up another?

Love Lynda x

Highlighted

I'm Ok thx start FEC 16 March and got a hysteroscopy appt this week 😞 - up and down but feel strangely better now I have the chemo date x I cried when I cut my hair but it will grow back !!!

Lots love sarah x
Highlighted

Hi SarahSmiley Happy

Im not too bad thankyou...had 2nd FEC last Thursday,so just getting through the first few days to getting back to feeling normal againSmiley Happy.Have nice shaved head now,as my hair was driving me crazy...falling out everywhere!

How are you?

Rachel X

Highlighted

Linda - hope your son can sort you on facebook ....but will check in here too for support. if you can use this site you can easily do facebook xxx
Highlighted

Hi Lolk - gosh " all system s go " - we have a facebook group which is a bit easier to use then this forum ; if you would like to join just message me your email address details and I will send you the link
I'm not trying cold cap but heard that it helps to have a paracetamol beforehand and also a warm blanket as it does get cold! There was a lady I met at feel good look good who had done the cold cap and it had worked really well for her - she said that she had one session left and still had most of her hair left although she had felt like giving it up several times.xxx good luck with it xxx I've got two weeks to 'plan' and have numerous dentist apps etc all lined up xx
Highlighted

Hi Rachel - good to see you!! How are you getting on ?
sarah
Highlighted

Hello LadiesSmiley Happy

Thought Id pop in and say Hi from the February 2015 chemo starters....just to wish you lots of luck and you can take a look at our chats which may help a bit with hints and tips.(Hello is anyone starting chemo in February 2015 thread).

hugs Rachel X

Highlighted

Got my start date - 17th March.  PICC line going in next Tuesday.  Feel sick with nerves about both. Who needs chemo to feel sick???

Highlighted

I haven't received any info about my chemo starting Sat except when speaking to onc last Tues.  I suppose they could just ring then at the last min like you lolk!  Good luck everyone 

Linda x

Highlighted

Wow lolk, they didn't give you much time to plan for your chemo. I hope all goes well and take care driving. Thanks also for the chat about wigs, I had better plan a wig fitting sometime soon. Z x
Highlighted

Hi Ladies

I havent been on the site for a while but thought I would log on today and glad I did! 

I am starting chemo tomorrow (FEC-T).  Only given the start date this morning so frantically trying to sort kids, work etc.  I thought it would be later this week but guess I now have less time to dwell!  I can't get a lift down to Nottingham as its really short notice so have decided to drive myself complete with sick bowl on passenger seat, just in case!!

I was feeling gloomy about wig wearing but I had a wig fitting in Nottingham at the weekend and was really impressed with the styles and quality and in fact my partner said I looked better with wig on!!!  Bought a synthetic one for everyday as low maintenance and a human hair one for when I have more time to style.  I felt much happier and positive leaving the wig salon than when I went in!  I am going to give the cold cap a go and heard a few positive stories recently but after my appt at the weekend with the hospital and with wig man they didnt hold much hope of it working?!?  Heard a few conflicting things about what you should do before using the cap on the day, i.e damp hair and conditioner before cap goes on but the chemo nurse said it goes on dry hair and just wondered what you have been told if you are using the cold cap?

Another step closer to getting normality back!

xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,  I will start chemo this Saturday, PICC line in on Friday.  Wishing us all luck.  I am not on Facebook but like the sound of the group on there.  Will have to see if my son can sort me out on it as I am not very good on computers. 

Linda xx

Highlighted

Anyone else feeling gloomy about the prospect of wearing wigs, scarves or hats. I looked on some websites yesterday and didn't like any of them. Perhaps I shall feel more inspired when I need to cover my bald head. I may get a start date for chemo tomorrow.
Highlighted

Thanks all for the feedback. X
Highlighted

Wiggy fittings here are done through the hospital referring you to the local wiggy shop, and they phone up to arrange an appointment.  I am hoping it will work like the voucher for glasses as I have now got a prescription exemption certificate ie be the equivalent of so much off the price?  Am having my lucious locks snipped off next week I hope as the doctor thought, and I think he is probably on to something, that short hair is less distressing than longer hair when it falls out.  The big question is, which unnatural colour to treat myself to?  Peroxide blonde, puprle or pink?

Highlighted

Good luck Janey for the 4th.  I am expecting a phone call tomorrow giving me my first appointment date.  I also have to fit in getting a PICC fitted.  It all makes me feel extremely nervous.  AND my boob still hurts from surgery - I mean how is it going to heal itself if all the normal cell replication stops??

Highlighted

Sorry TRENDCO ....chemo brain xx

Highlighted

For MK5:  My friend's mum went somewhere in Southend. If no luck finding it, pm me and I'll ask my friend what it was called. If all else fails, just a few miles down the road in Ipswich is Frobishers!

Highlighted

Hi MK15, just browsing your thread I am a November starter so luckily have now completed my FEC T treatment 10 days ago. I got my wig from TRENCO via a hairdresser that was at my hospital and I did not have to pay for it although in some health trusts you have to be an impatient to get it free. I am sure if you google TRENCO it will tell you where they are available in your area. Good luck Suexx 

Highlighted

Has any one found a good wig place around London or Essex?  I phoned a company in London twice but they never came back to me.  nothing like a personal recomendation so if anyone can help would appreciatge it x

Highlighted

I am so laughing at the comments  about sick bowls as it was one of the first things I bought in preparation.   It took alot of consideration  size for example and colour, decided a light colour might be easier  to find in the dark,lol.

Paula x

Highlighted

wedding shopping ? Now this is fun for us to get our heads around.....you could go gigantic hat aka Princess At the Royal Wedding? something to look forward to and I really hope the chemo scheduling works out for you xx
If need a sick bowl probably - slight dilemma do I go pounds and budget or something more Lakeland Beauty that could cheer me up during? 😉
Highlighted

I haven't done anything about wigs or hats yet, but I am planning on a sick bowl! My daughter is getting married in May and I haven't done a thing about getting an outfit. The last few months have been energy sapping appointments, procedures and surgery, but I really must do something before chemo starts. I'm having 6 rounds of FEC too but no start date yet. Good luck to all with a chemo start date. Z x
Highlighted

Hi Janet and Demi - my daughters ( twins) actually most of their GCSEs next year as they are in year 10 - but thet are doing some this year ( one science some language assessments and a media gcse) x hugs to you supporting yours through xxxxx
Wig fitting was "ok" - but I didn't really like them !! I have heard that monofilament wigs are the way to go and the ones I saw werent monofilament - I did choose one in the hope that hairdresser might be able to sort ... There were other ladies there who liked them though so you might b lucky! The lady was really nice but it felt a bit surreal looking at photos of wigs and saying " let's try that one.." ! Think I'll probably stick to the scarves!
Highlighted

Hi Jets, how did your wig fitting go. I am seeing someone next week to arrange mine.  What did you think of the wigs? I am dreading the hair loss and really hope I can get a wig I like as I am not really a hat person, they don't suit me at all.  Janey xxx

Highlighted

Hi Demi49, my daughter is also doing her GCSE's and this is such a worry to me that my treatment may affect how she does.  I have been advised to tell the school what's going on so she can get extra support.  She also has her prom coming up. I'm so glad I got her prom dress sorted before I was officially diagnosed as I don't think I would feel like doing it now but we had a lovely day last month going to choose the dress and I'm so glad now we had that special day together.  I'm on countdown to starting my chemo now as I start on 4th March.  Janey xxx

Highlighted

hello lovelies - FB set up if you private message me your email and name I'll send you the link if you want to join.
Hugs
sarah
Highlighted

Oh JETS and Lollymum - my daughter also doing her GCSEs this year - and prom and all that.  😞

Highlighted

Hi.  I'll be joining the March 2015 gang!!  I'll be having FEC-T.  Thought I might treat myself to a dedicated sick bowl.

Highlighted

I've got a wig fitting later today ... They suggested I tried to fit in before chemo started - have any of you been? not really sure what to expect ....it's covered on the NHS via my hospital trust..
Highlighted

Thanks Jo. My brain has already gone to mush and I haven't started the treatment yet!
Highlighted

My first chemo is booked for 9th march, am having fec-t.  Meeting oncologist next Tuesday.   Have been reading the tips for chemo, have found it really helpful and feel on a practical  level am nearly ready.  X

Highlighted

Thx beryl xx will keep an eye out for you honey xxx xx
Highlighted

Hi MK15

Click on the name of the person you want to send a private message to, this will open another screen where at the right hand side of the page you will see 'send a private message' click on this and again another page will open where you can type your private message.

Hope you can follow that!

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

How do you PM ?
Highlighted

Hiya Jets and all startng chemo in March

Just to wish you good luck. I started chemo in March last year, so now just adjusting to being finished (d.v.) with treatment.  Jets, my daughter is also doing GCSEs so really do want to say I hope it all works out dates wise and that she's okay. DM me if you want more support. 

Highlighted

On the 'Living With BC' section
B
Highlighted

Just come on here to wish fellow diagnosed November/Decmber 2014 all the best on the rest of your journeys. 

I don't need to join you but will be seding hugs and positive thoughts to you all. Perhaps we will meet up on the other side

Berylx

Highlighted

Forgot to mention - I'm starting w/c 16 March in likelihood - hospital going to confirm; prior week daughters doing GCSEs so didn't want to disrupt that. if you would like to be in a closed facebook group ; please PM me and I will set one up.
Closed groups posts can't be seen by other "friends" only members of the group x