1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo March 2015?

JETS

Re: starting chemo March 2015?

Welcome zizzles! I hope it goes well with oncologist x I think that tears are often a natural release especially post op as your body works to recoverxxxx take it easy - two weeks is no time after op! XXXX
Zizzles

Hi, I think I will find it really helpful joining this thread. I was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this month and had a mastectomy two weeks ago. I'm due to see oncologist next week so I expect chemo to start in March. It all seems to have happened very quickly but the diagnosis took nearly six weeks with three rounds of biopsies and the wait for results. At the moment I can manage two tear free days in a row and then I go all weepy again with no warning. Re knitted knockers...my mother-in-law has knitted me one and is bringing it round tomorrow!!
JETS

So - dental hygienist today - ulcer warning on chemo but suggests corsodyl wash soft toothbrushes .... Anyone else scared of the list of side effects? Also been told to take a little blanket as can be cold sometimes on injections...
Marie_

Hi Kurup

Just in case I've been misinterpreted I love your posts and was grateful for the thorough account.  I posted about people handling things differently in response to MrsBojangles worries.  Not sure if I've I've offended somehow - always difficult to tell online - but certainly didn't mean to. x

MK15

hi Kurup, I start the same day as you so also hope you keep posting.....best of luck 

JETS

kurup - please keep posting ! I need flippant and positive! The beauty of these forums is that everyone feels safe to say whatever is on their mind - good days bad days ups downs - I didn't read the posts and think anyone took offence! Glad to get that off my chest ( haha)
Thx to the 'experienced' who are posting on here also - this is very helpful for us newbies x
Macie40

Hi Kurup I have just popped over from the secondary BC thread after reading your story. I also have crohn's disease and have an ileostomy,I was DX with primary BC in 2007 and then secondaries which was TNBC in 2012.
I had lumpectomy and 18 sessions of rads first time round with out any problems.
After second DX I had 18 rounds of Chemo (Taxol) and then Epirubicin but had to be taken of them after suffering bad side effects but I am a great deal older than you and had other medical problems.
I then received funding for cyber knife treatment at mount Vermont hospital which gave me a degree of success for a while. I am currently on oral chemo capecitabine and am just having my 15th cycle 2weeks on and 1 week off is a cycle during this time I have been admitted to hospital with obstruction of small bowel 3 times but bearing in mind I am without a large bowel now.
So on my 8 year journey it is only the capecitabine (if it is that and they are not sure) that could be upsetting my crohn's so I am being a little more careful with my diet. I wish you well on your journey and will pop in from time to time to see how you are getting on lots of love and good wishes from Macie x x x

Codiesue

Evening ladies, just browsing your thread I am a November starter so had my last T on 18th, chemo is not nice and I won't pretend otherwise but we all react differently and some suffer more than others, some ladies have continued to work through most of it while others (me) struggle to go out for first 10 days. Listen to your bodies rest when you can and eat well while you can. For most the side effects are the first week to10 days the last week especially with FEC bit you will mostly feel okay so plan to do nice things giving you something to look forward to. Most of all try to stay strong and positive and take support from this site we all know what you feeeling ......you CAN and Will beat the Big C. Sue xx

kurup

Hi Marie, I wrote my thorough recap for you benefit, due to you posting below. I would imagine most peoples consultations to be fairly lengthy ... it takes them that long to go through the side effects profile, the consent form etc but maybe I am a litle bit more complex as they are working with the Gastro team so to try and minimise the affect of my Crohns Disease.
I do apologise if my comments were a little insensitive at this difficult time. I did not mean to offend. It is how I find better able to cope personally...but as I say.....sometimes deamed as flippant by some. I will stay quiet in future ... posting only if necessary and will keep to the point. I start on wednesday 4th. X
Marie_

poor you Sarah and hi MK

I'm not going to paint on nails as I read a while ago about OnicoLife drops for nails which according to those who have used them stop most of the bad side affects.  Similarly RaLife cream for skin (particularly during radiotherapy).  Easily found on google and I'll report back when using them.

JETS

hello all - looks like a flurry suddenly....Mrs Bojangles -I am a complete mess this afternoon and have just got off the phone to Macmillan who didnt really seem to know what to do with someone who was just a blubbing idiot! Came in here and saw all u lovely ladies xxx
long story but looks like I'm going to need to go back to hospital re a gynocology issue next week now - it's pretty much tipped me over and has nothing to do with cancer ...will need another general. sometimes it's so hard when little things that I probably would have dealt with no problem before just tip me over competely.
Anyway - glad you lot are here to help us all through the emotions and stuff.
Anyone planning on painting nails?
Sarah
MK15

Hi Sarah - thanks for setting this up and i would love to join you all.  I saw the oncologist today and will probalby start my chemo next Wednesday 4 March.  Like many of us I just want to get this started now and zap those little bu**ers as soon as I can.  

afraid I have no tropical disease stories either, but found my lump becuase I broke my leg last year, slipped on my crutches, pulled the muscle all the way up my arm and while rubbing it better found what felt like torn muscle.  so I didnt rush to the Dr as naively thought the muscle pull had extended to my boob.  felt a bit of a twit telling the story when the Dr asked how I had found the lump..

good to be part of this network.. MK

Marie_

Hi MrsB

I guess I see chemo as a positive step forwards after a pretty bleak few months so I'm actually looking forward to it.  I have a rather agressive type of breast cancer and it had spread to my lymph nodes.  At every step we were getting worse than expected news.  With two rounds of surgery now behind me and chemo to come I really feel I'm beginning to get the upper hand.  But that's just me, everyone is different.

I have a friend who doesn't have BC but her mother died of it in Eastern Europe.  Medical records have been lost so my friend has been offered a mastectomy and hysterectomy as a precaution.  She is a single mother in her forties and is absolutely terrified.  She jokes that I'm the best friend in the world as I'm doing the trial run for her and that she can't possibly complain about it as I'm not! I know if she actually had BC she'd be in pieces though no matter how much support we gave her.

Have you thought about what aspect of chemo worries you most?  perhaps it might help to share it with us... sending hugs x

MrsBojangles

Starting chemo on Friday for ILC How come you ladies are all so upbeat. I am in a mess... I am attending Addenbrooke
MrsBojangles

I'm starting on Friday and am so scared.
Marie_

Hi Guys

I've had no clashes with birthdays, tropical diseases or 100 mile hikes to the hospital - I need to buck my ideas up!

Actually though, I too have been occasionally banging a drum about the need to check for lumps as I never have before (no family history) so it was complete chance I found mine.  It turns out a friend listened to me and checked and she too found a lump (albeit benign).

and back to more amusing stuff - are you aware there is a charity called Knitted Knockers? very amused when I found out about that and I am now the proud owner of one. x

kurup

Hi JETS, I sometimes find that my sense of humour is the only thing that gets me through, even if I do come across as a bit flippant. Yes fb is great....on a more personal note I have found it a huge personal support purely because I decided to bare my journey, warts and all, to the fb following......and only just this morning I had a message from a 'friend' saying I was an inspiration and because of me they had become more vigilant ...had found a lump and going to gp today...I have always said that making my personal journey very 'public' will be worth the while if I can assist women becoming more vigilant and treated early if necessary...despite unfriending, offending, and making some people feel somewhat uncomfortable at talking 'taboo' !!!!!!
JETS

Hi Kurup
I really smiled at your post - parties and tropical diseases! V funny!
Sooo you might be first to kick off for us - wishing you all the best and hoping for minimal side effects. I'm seeing a gynocologist today about a different complication and struggling to keep it together a bit mentally right now! Still waiting for letter to confirm chemo but want today out of the way first - have dental hygienist later in week and small dental treatment next Tuesday ..... Never ending trail around medical stuff at the moment.

You definately need some kind of swing from the chandeliers party in the autumn...I went for biopsies 3 days after by 45th birthday in November - I hope that for my 46th I can do something really special x

Hugs and stay in touch - I know the other monthly threads have set up facebook closed groups and I'll try to do that for March too - FB a bit easier to use then this forum (despite the fact it has been a lifeline for me!)
hope others doing Ok
Hugs
Marie_

Hi Kurup

Thanks for the thorough recap and glad you're feeling positive.  I imagine we'll all feel a bit more in control once we know what we're in for!

I'll plan on my appointment being a bit more lengthy that I was expecting based on your experience - although, mind you, I don't have a complicated medical history for them to unearth! x

kurup

Hi Ladies,

I had the meeting with the Oncologists yesterday, the Consultant and her registrar. It was a lengthy some 2 hour one ! Glad I took the husband as felt quite exhausted coming out, so helpfulto have a second pair of ears.

I am to start chemotherapy on 4th March, the day before my 46th Birthday...yesterday incidentally was my son's 21st Birthday......the day I was back a week after surgery for some results and dressing removal was my Daughter's 18th Birthday, the day of my surgery was my s mother's 83rd birthday. I have told myself that when I am out and the to the other side of this and consider myself wel again I shall have the biggest party known to man to celebrate the battle, thank and support al family and friend s that have been with me on this journey of Cancer & Crohns, and to make up gor the loss of celebration on such important land mark dates as my childrens 18th, 21st.....may even combine it with my youngest daughter who is 17 at the end of July....which is when I am set to have finished chemo and wil have just started and hopefully stabilised on the immunosuppressant drugs Gastro will give me for my Crohns disease ..... they predict a riot of 'flare up' as I finish Chemotherapy.

My chemotherapy is to consist of EC regime for 6 cycles - Epirubicin & cyclophosphamide....we went through the whole history of finding my cancer from scratch, whole medical history otherwise and dwelled upon crohn for ages. I then had the registrar examine me, check my chest, heart, wound etc etc. This was about an hour into the consultation. Classic line of the day and 'ice breaker' came at the point of checking my chest in the little corner cubicle of the room, curtains drawn giving me privacy from my husband of 22 years, which always makes me chuckle. She asked me to lean forward and take deep breaths in and out ......'gosh you have quite a significant scar on your back here, what was that from?????????' .....me replying........'oh yes, oh that, errrrrrrr that was Melanoma Cancer 13 years ago, when I was 32, I have since that had another 14 operations for it!!!! Oh I forgot about that, I guess I should have mentioned that in the any other medical history bit'.......'Correct' she said 'is there anything else you would liketo tell me about?????if so can you please do it now' helping me off the examination bed in uncontrollable fits of laughter, pulling back the curtains to expose my husband who was siting there with a chuckling grin on his face....who then looked up and volunteered 'is the fact that she also had a tropical disease 2 years ago of any relevance at this point, she didn't mention that either'.......oh did we all laugh ....... it was such a tonic .... it had all been quite stuffy and serious beforehand.

We went through the drugs in detail all, mehod of giving, reasons why chosen in my case, side effects, cold cap I decided against as although ok and recommended with cyclophoshamide, all the good of cold cap is then undone by epirubicin. So I decided against. There was some talk of a wig on the NHs ....... so if I am offered I wl probably take one just because I can, but have already in true 'brownie' style got prepared....I last night ordered loads of caps from wigs for hairloss/ hair world & wigs, human eyebros, human eyelashes and a few hats for hair grow back time next autumn from Simply Wigs.

I am to go to pre assessment this friday, then chemo starts 4th March. Thereafter I go back every 3 weeks for chemo but bloods and pre assessment/Consultant appointment is always the day before.

Husband will be with me for the first, fourth, fifth, & sixth cycle flying back from abroad taking his holidays to do it. The second and third cycle my eldest son is going to step up to the plate taking my two other children aged 16 & 18 to college......and possibly me to chemo sessions if I amto ill, sick, tired and not able to drive myself there (100 mile round trip). We've yet to discuss the possibility of hospital transport, which was suggested by someone on here, I guess the opportunity will arise for that at pre assessment this friday.

Came away feeling quite upbeat about it all and positive, which is good.

Good luck to all you other ladies starting in March.

I will keep you all posted on how I am finding things x

Keep fighting ! X

JETS

Freebies galore!!! Worth a small fortune as some big name players - Estée lauder revlon loreal Lancôme clinique! - enjoy!
You'll be safe having young boys - my girls are heavily utilising it all!
Marie_

Hi Kurup

Good luck today and do lets us know how you got on...I'm endlessly speculating about what my first meeting with the oncologist will cover/say so it would be very interesting to hear.  Like you I'm in the 'blast it with everything' camp.  I've just turned 41 and I have two young boys (9 and 6) so I don't want to take any risks.  

Jets - I'm booked onto the 'look good feel better' workshop in April and very much looking forward to it. What sort of freebies did you get?  Marie x

kurup

Thanks for the support JETS! Yes hopefuly all will become clearer this monday. And I really look forward to any help & support should it be needed ..... keep fighting ladies xxxx
kurup

Thanks for the support ... keep fighting x
JETS

Hi kurup - think we are all fairly daunted on this thread ... What a way to spend the birthdays! I'm sure oncologist will discuss with u in detail and the right decision will b made if you follow us on we are all here to help and discuss any side effects and share managing strategies! X lots hugs
Debtex

Hi Kurup I'm from the October Thread - I've just finished my chemo . I've responded as I too have an auto immune condition - rheumatoid arthritis . I had to stop my ra meds before surgery and in between surgery and chemo it flared quite badly in my hands . However once chemo started it was suppressed , I think the steroids played a big part in this . I'm sure your oncology team will be able to steer you through your treatment and It sounds like you have a fab attitude . Good luck to you and all the other ladies starting in March xx
kurup

Hi,

I see my oncologist 23rd feb (my sons 21st Birthday!!!), had surgery left mx 27th jan, had first check of wound week after 4th February (my Daughter's 18th Birthday!!!), 2 weeks later got results, dcis grade 3 x2 tumours both positioned next to eachother but not connected, over all with clearance >6cm so had to be mastectomy, snb x3 clear, auxiliary nodes x11 clear. Think stage 2b mentioned.

Believe chemo advised due to size, grade, stage and consultant said particularly because of my age which is 45 years.

I get a bit confused with all the medical jargon and statistics alike.

I just want to increasevmy chances of survival.....I feel its good news no lymph node involvement.....but then again I am in the 'blast me with anything and as much as you like' camp.

Im sure many may think.thatvi shouldn't have chemo, when I lok to the side effects I wish I wasn't to go through it as I am already compromised and a 'complex' case so they tell me due to an auto immune disorder which causes inflammation of the gut/ intestines which is Crohns.

Anyone else undergoing chemo with other diseases?

I gues I will start chemo march early on...don't know if I wil get a choice, really dont know what chemo will mean for me or what experience I will have....daunted and frightened by it for sure...however I have everything to live for . A hubby. And 3 wonderful kids aged 20, 18 & 16..and as I keep saying ...no one could bring up my kids like I do and no one could annoy my hubby like I do .. tongue in cheek....but its how I cope...so I say blast me with all you can...I want kill the blighter now I feel the mastectomy contained it 😉 

Lucy_BCC

Hi Marie and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support and shared experiences here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so please feel free to call

I am posting a link to the 'Treatments' area of the site where you will find further support ideas and lots of information which I hope you will find helpful over the coming months:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/Walks-Been-r/m-p/926861/highlig...

Here's also the link to the 'Look good feel better' sessions JETS has kindly mentioned in case you are interested:

http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk

Take care
Lucy BCC

JETS

Hi Marie - welcome onboard!!
I'm still waiting for letter but it will be winging its way soon...developed a slight issue with one of my post bilateral masectomy stitches so popping back to hospital on Friday. Need to make sure clear as possible of any possibility of infection before starting by my reckoning!

I went to a look good feel good session. At hospital yesterday - was really nervous but it was great and I've got lots of free makeup ( a lot of which has already been taken by my 15 year old twins!) I really recommend it.
I'll be hopeless with false eyelashes and probably look like I've had far too many g&ts if I use them!!! Dreading eyelash loss.
I had multifocal lobular grade 2.
chat soon lovelies.
Marie_

Hi Everyone

I'm seeing my oncologist for the first time a week today and have been told Chemo will start 10 days or so later so I'd love to be part of this March group.  Thanks for starting it Sarah.  I don't know what I'll be having (other than chemo, herceptin and radiotherapy), I've already had a right side mastectomy and then a axillary clearance as my sentinel nodes had cancer cells in them.  Thankfully the axillary clearance was negative.  I'm HER2+ non-hormone responsive and stage-wise 2B - that's all I know so far.  How about you guys?

Is anyone else obsessively researching make up to fake eyebrows and lashes or is that just me?...It's strange really as I hardly ever wear make-up - maybe be it's my lack of skill that I'm worried about!

I'm also gasping for a strong GnT but trying to get my liver in shape before it takes a beating.  xxxx

JETS

Pammy - Thx so much for your support xxx
JETS

hello Janey! I just saw your post on the other forum and didn't realise you had posted here alreadyxxx I'm still waiting for my confirmation letter but oncology said it was likely to be start of March. I've decided against cold cap but, like Ice said on my previous thread, many are real advocates. There are some threads about it.... My decision was based primarily around extending my time for chemo treatment and the fact it is reported to be uncomfortable - I've decided I'm a bit of a wuss on the pain front so don't want this ordeal to be any more physically hard then it needs to be. AnnaBandana website was recommended to be so I am going to be a spring hat kinda girl! However, if you are totally desperate about losing your hair - it might be worth a go? I Had mine cut shorter yesterday - it was horrible and have been up and down with tears. I'm post bilateral masectomy ( gr 2 lobular - aged 45) after chemo I'll be on hormone tablets and have been told ten years! Tbh - the side effect list on chemo has me scared witless - Nightmtime her worst xxx sending best wihpshes snd lots of hugs sarah
Pammyx

Best wishes to all those starting in 2015. I was part of the March 2013 and I found the support invaluable.
Love to all Pam
janeyf4

Hi Sarah, I have a provisional date of 3rd March to start my chemo, not sure why it is provisional at the moment but I am having ct and heart scan next week so maybe it depends on the results of those. Will you be trying the cold cap, I was told about it but not sure whether to try it or not.  Janey xxxx

JETS

Thx Sue xxx would rather not b here obviously but it is strangely reassuring to see all the other monthly threads xxx hope u ok x
Codiesue

Hi Sarah, I am Sue and on the November thread sorry you are having to join us on this journey but the forum is a great support. You are the first March starter but I am sure you will soon have some company, browsing the other threads will give you lots of tips and advice from those who have been there. Good luck Sue xx

JETS

starting chemo March 2015?

Hi
I'm Sarah and will be having 6 sessions of FEC starting prob on March x anyone else out there who wants to have virtual hand holding ( I need it!!) please jump on board xxx