Did you mean: 

starting chemo in January 2012

Jane3850

Re: starting chemo in January 2012

Good luck everyone starting chemo this week

Jane

tankgirl

still waiting for chemo start date, wig ordered, surprisingly quickly!!
Thank you Myexperience, those words help as i am due to start exactly same as you had and with 3 children it helps to know !!
Probably put my 2 yr old into a day nursery for a couple days a week to help, but feel very guilty about that as i will be at home!!

Thank you anniek68 for that link, i watched them all!! eyebrows i am more worried about than hair so her way of doing it looked really natural.

Good luck to all starting and for those who have started, i am praying for small or no SE's!??

wineoclock

Morning all
Just had my picc line put in this morning ready for tomorrow morning! Jesus it's come round quick! I'm starting early as appointment is at 9.15..... I see alot of people are mentioning emend, is this the strongest anti sickness? I have a phobia of all sicky things and am terrified, the rest doesn't petriify me. I've declined the cold cap as I'd rather be in and out quick and Lose my hair than stay there a second longer than I have to. I need to be well as meant to be going to London on fri night to see the comedian Micky flannagan- fingers crossed lol, am I being too optimistic ?
Hope everyone who's started this week feel ok and are coping

Lots of love
Xxx

deedee12345

julianna good luck today will be thinking of you going to get my drain out i hope so hopefully will be ok for thurs not till three in afternoon so a long dayxxxxxxxlove denise

myexperience

Not exactly in same position as just had my last chemo, I started in September but remember how anxious I was. I had 3 FEC and 3 Tax. Everyone is different so don't expect what others have, just take it as it comes, rest if you feel you need to and look after yourself. Tell oncologist of side effects and they will try to give you something to ease. I found I was very sick with the 1st dose of FEC same day as chemo, then generally very tired and sickly for a 5-6 days, was given Emend (apprepetin)for 2nd chemo and was less sick but after approx a week I was back to normal and could carry on as normal. Chemos seem to come round quickly but that is one more closer to end. When you have your chemos just set the week aside, then make the most of the other weeks. Good Luck

AnnieK68

Hi Girls.

Just popping in from Sept thread to say good luck to you all, hopefully you will only have small SEs.

I've found this on You-tube over the weekend and it seems to work! I've not particularly worn my scarves much but think I may give it a go for a change! I'm normally in baker-boy hats then naked at home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaPNix3z-Aw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Axx

ScaredOfChemo

C-Day!

clare83

Good luck Jacqui and everyone else starting this week (me included on Friday). Hope those who started last week are feeling ok.
Love Clare x

majelsty

jacqui,
Good luck tomorrow. will be thinking of you

maj

shadders

Great to hear all the good news stories about SEs not too bad so far.

I'm all ready to take the plunge, house clean, washing and ironing done and went for a lovely walk along the seafront this afternoon so feel ready however can't sleep hence the late post.

Good luck to others starting tomorrow and rest of the week. Hope I feel well enough to come and post tomorrow about how it went.

Love to you all Jacqui xx

weme

Hi all

I'm butting in from the nov thread... I am on TAC and have had my 4th dose just before new year. I think the thing getting to me most is the constant tiredness and feeling like I'm old way before my time!

Good luck to all of you starting this week, once you're over the first hurdle it gets easier.

Weme

thejourney

I had my first chemo session(1 of 😎 on Wed 4th Jan. The hospital have put the initials AC/T on my card to denote the treatment - Andriamycim/cyclosphamide/taxol. The Taxol coming after 4 sessions of the other two drugs.
I was told that I might have nausea etc. during the first three days but apart from slight 'quesey' feeling, I was OK. I was given EMEND to counteract the effect of the chemo. I had to take 4 steroid tablets each day, and have come off those now, and I seem to be a bit tired and fuzzy headed and I am taking each day at a time.

kim1

Hi lynzie84 & Lisa,
I start on TAC at 9.30 tomorrow (Monday), I'm bricking it...... Fear of the unknown, or just a wuss! ? I'll let you know how it goes!
Good luck to all the others starting this week xxx
Kim

kim1

Hi lynzie84 & Lisa,
I start on TAC at 9.30 tomorrow (Monday), I'm bricking it...... Fear of the unknown, or just a wuss! ? I'll let you know how it goes!
Good luck to all the others starting this week xxx
Kim

herbidacious1

Hi lynzie84,
Just popping over from the Dec chemo thread to let u know I am on TAC too as is one other lady on there. I only just squeezed into Dec thread as I had first dose on 29 th . Please message me if I can help with anything, but good luck to all of u ,
Herbi X

lisha

Lynn A just to answer your question ,my SE started straight away as my chemo made me sick .Had to be a drama queen didn't i!! My main SE were sore mouth and tired and feeling whoozy.I was sick the first two times for the first night but then got given emend and was never sick again .
Im not going to tell anyone its a breeze but i was petrified and when i had it it was much more manageable than i expected .I had it in my ahead that i wouldn't be able to go out wouldn't be able to mix because of infection ect but i went out every single day.I never stayed in once. Had a few wobbly moments but i got there and again just to repeat myself you WILL all get there too ,its amazing how the three weeks go and you are another one down .So you go girls and heres to very few SE for you all xxxx

majelsty

Hi everyone.

Just want to wish all starting chemo this week good luck. Especially jules68.

Maj

Mary_C

Hi everyone sorry not managed to post for a while. Good luck to everyone starting this week. I also have my first one on wednesday they changed me due to staff issues. Hopefully SE's will be small and we will all cope well.

Good to hear the positivity amongst so many I hope this continues and everyone is ok.

They aren't doing any bloods before i start is this normal? Told me I have them before 2nd?!

wineoclock loving your wig you look fab! i've ordered mine gota to wait upto 2 weeks for it. Mary x x x x

Lynzi84

is anybody else in here having or had TAC chemo??? xxx

Lynzi84

can't believe i will have my first pre chemo blood test tomorrow with the intention of starting on Tues 10th, eeeeeeeeek!!! i hate not knowing what is going to happen xxx

deedee12345

julianna know exactly what you mean but once we are there we know what we are dealing with you keep me informed and lots of love and good wishes tomorrow while you are starting im going looking at wigs and getting this wretcher drain out lol good luck and dont forget to let me know how you get on love denisexxxxxxxxxxx

ScaredOfChemo

Hahahaha Scotianne! Wish there was a like button like on Facebook for comments!
Denise, that's the spirit! Bring it ON! Hope your infection clears / cleared and you can start your treatment next week.

I am feeling very brave today to - Bring It ON! - wonder what it will be like tomorrow at 12:50 when I am sat at the oncology ward. Here is to BringItOn not deserting us!

Julianna

deedee12345

this site has given me so much inspiration hearing all your experiment i have gone from being a wreck to wanting to kick the ass out of chem bring it on.Hopefully i will be starting thurs 12 all going well but need to see the doc on wed as i have had a infection that needs to be cleared up must admit will be disappointed if i dont start on thur as i just want to get on with it love to you all and good luck to the people starting treatment and ongoingxxxxxxxxxxx love denise

emotional

Morning ladies
just to let you know things are going ok apart from strange tastebuds,horrible hangover feeling yesterday & very tired [manageable at mo]this morning my little man wanted to get out at 6.30 eventually put on tv in bed & persuaded him to stay in for a little while.Glad to hear everyone else who started seems to be doing ok .

Hello lisha,thanks for sending everyone inspiring words,it does seem a long way off till the end of treatment & i find myself wishing it was time for my next round when i've only just had my 1st.

Good luck shadders tomorrow & all the other ladies starting this week.

Best wishes

Tracey.x

scotianne

I can hangover as well. In fact I have one now lol.
Anne xx

ScaredOfChemo

Morning fellow January ladies!

Great to hear and very re-assuring that all of you are doing well! I can do hangover (God knows, I've had enough of them in my life!) - there might be no bigger SEs... Fingers, toes and everything else crossed this is the case!

WineoClock - loving your wig! In my hospital, everyone is in an individual room. We are all scared!
My onc nurse seems to think my veins will be OK for the cannula but what I've read on this forum, ladies who had a PICC line think that it is the best thing since slice bread! Some had suffered greatly with the needles before they had this done and now taking bloods or administering the chemo seems to be a breeze for them, so I think it is a positive thing for you!

Julianna

keepingpositiv

Hi Everyone
Just thought I would let you know how things are going. I too am feeling a bit hungover, washed out and sicky with little appetite but at the moment this is all manageable. I am waiting for bigger SEs to kick in and am wondering if this will happen on this cycle or my next.
lisha thank you so much for your posting, I can't wait to be in your position. The next 6 months can't go quick enough for me and I am sure all the other lovely January ladies.
Scotianne sorry to hear that you had such a bad day on Friday. You had such a lot on that day, its not surprising how you felt. I hope your friend is getting over her infection.
Well I am going to pop back to bed for an hour before my kids get up!!
Take care everyone, much love and hugs
Gillian xxxxx

wineoclock

good evening ladies

I had my new patient assessment on the 4th, and the nurse decided my veins will suffer too much so ive got to go in on mon morn at 8.30 for a picc line 😞 has anyone else got one? tell me.......how much of an inconvenience is it really? does it hurt?

tues morn my chemo starts, in a little side room away from everyone else as at assessment appointment i was tearful the minute i checked in, and by the time the nurse came and got me i just totally broke down....i thought i was strong! this continued for most of my 2 hours in there.
seems being strong for the last 7/8 weeks waiting for chemo app has finally got on top of me.............Im scared!

to The ladies that have started already - you are an inspiration to all of us out here waiting, thankyou so much for sharing your experiences.

I think i might change my photo to me in my blonde wig soon if i can upload one - i need to get used to seeing it! lol

kim1

Hi all, well I got my wig today, I took my eldest daughter and my best friend and we had a blast. I haven't laughed so much in ages. It took a wee while but after looking like my mum, my dad, my nan and a transvestite we finally struck gold and it looked so good I wore it for the rest of the day and even out this evening!!!!! However, I was glad to take it off as soon a I got home. So thats another milestone done.
I hope all you ladies who started chemo this week are doing ok, not too many SE. Good luck to all the ladies who start this week, take care, Kim xxx

Lynn_A

lisha its nice to know someone has finished their journey and are ok good luck to you . when did your side effects start after your first chemo. im in my second day and waiting for something to happen apart from the tiredness . i would be gratefull for any advice . lynn a

lisha

Hi girls, im off the starting chemo in july thread. Just jumping in to wish you all luck. You WILL get through this it may seem a long way off but i started mid july and finished my rads dec 21. I am now slowly but surely starting to rebuild my life.. I go back to work in feb. When you start your journey you think nothing good will ever happen again but i smiled and laughed a lot through my chemo. Yes we all have our bad days but we get good days too.
All of you will soon be done too. There are lots of us on here that will help and advise you along the way xxxx

Lynn_A

debbie i had my first chemo on the 5th as well i was scared but it was not too bad . today saturday i feel more tired than i did yesterday and i have not been sick but i have felt a bit sicky in the morning then its time to get up. i keep waiting for something to happen as this is all new to me. i dont know what to expect or when because every one is different i just take it one day at a time. take care lynn

dawnrise

Cheers Anne!

Good for you. We opened a nice bottle of red and am sipping it RIGHT now. Luverly.

Hoping will help for a better night's sleep and no steroids today and had a bit of a walk.

Dawn XX

scotianne

Dawn - I've hardly drank any alcohol since my operations as it just made me miserable and I had made considerable effort to cut down before chemo starts especially with all the alcohol related stories and increased risk of BC (damned Daily Mail).
That said I bloodly well enjoyed my wine last night so much so I've just opened another bottle.

Cheers Anne xx

Debbie1234

Hi All

Glad everyone seems to be doing okay, Jane I do feel the same as you today, very very tired and a bit like I have a bad hangover. I have found that although I am tired I am struggling to have a proper sleep and just seem to toss and turn.

My tastebuds seem to be a bit strange as I am not fancying any chocolate.

I think the worst thing for me is the boredom but I dont feel quite up to doing much.

Hubby is off work tomorrow and my two boys are playing footy in the morning so my plan is to go and watch them play footy and then go for a walk along the beach hopefully, this will help me to have a good sleep.

Best wishes everyone

Debbie

Jane3850

Hi Everyone

So glad that those who started this week are feeling ok.

Unfortunately I'm feeling totally wiped out. Not as nauseous, but no appetite or energy.

Feeling rather down today, as the thought of this for months........

Hopefully I'll feel better soon - I was hoping to go back to work on Monday and really want my life back!

Best wishes

Jane

dawnrise

Morning ladies! Hope you're all alright today. Lovely and sunny here.

Scotianne - I'm not surprised visiting your friend in hospital hit you hard. That would be a difficult enough for somebody not in your position. So you had a glass of wine. I've been a bit hesitant about drinking, but thought I'd have a beer tonight.

So we seem to be doing OK. Well done!

I'm amazed how good I'm feeling considering. I actually walked a couple of miles along the seafront yesterday and had a bit of chocolate cake in a little cafe. It was lovely to do something so normal. I actually felt better after it.

Have got a slight sore through though and monitoring that. I spoke to a nurse about it and just checking my temperature regularly. Fingers crossed.

AND I went out last night to the Yacht Club and had a meal with some friends which was lovely too.

Didn't sleep well last night though and kept the poor OH awake. Didn't get up until 10 am. Shocking!

So it's a lovely sunny day and I'll be going for another stroll later.

I ordered a couple of little hats just in case the cold cap didn't do it's job and I lose my hair. So everything's under control. Well sort of anyway.

Dawn XXXXXXXXXX

scotianne

Good to hear that everyone that has started are doing well. It is a relief for those of us still waiting.

Had a meltdown yesterday.Had an appointment with dentist who thought I ought to have fillings replaced ( not a problem 6 months ago!), then I had a letter to attend an appointment next Tues for pre assessment (that was ok but was not expecting it), also had letter to go to another ONC (gynae this time) to investigate my fibroid. Then I went for my wig fitting which was horrid to start with then she put the perfect wig on so was happy and finally went to visit my friend in hospital who is having chemo for ovarian cancer and is having IV antibiotics for an infection. This tipped me over the edge. Just seeing her with no hair just made me really sad. But saying that she was bright and bubbly which gave me stenghth.

Needless to say I founnd a bit of comfort in the form of a large glass of wine; may as well enjoy it while I can.

(((HUGS))) to all Anne xx

Giddy

Hi all
So glad the chemo seems to be going well for those that have started it 🙂 I've got my onc appointment on the 19th as they couldn't fit me in before then, so I'm hoping I'm still going to be a January starter!
Lucy- thank you for the link 🙂 It was really helpful.
Chris xx

deedee12345

so good to hear that everything went well for every who had the first treatment ,i went for my pre treament appointment and it was lovley so nice we are going to be well care for i neeed to go see my onclolgist on the 11th to see if my infection is sorted as i wont be able to go ahead with it on the 12 if its not sorted after reading all the postive reports i want to get on with it the waiting around is the worst love to you all denisexxxxxxxxxxxx

Goosey

Hello everyone!! another week down!! glad to hear that everyone who started this week is doing well!!

Big ((((()))) to everyone! There seem to be a lot of groups, free days, support sessions etc on offer - I have realised that for me one of the hardest things will be spending a lot of time home alone over the next 18 weeks (my mum and sis are in canada :()and in looking for things to do have discovered lots of options. Make sure you ask your BCNs if they haven't told you or given you info already! Keeping busy is what keeps me sane!!

Anyone had anymore advice on probiotics - I use them to control my IBS so am planning to keep taking them but will ask team next week.

Kim and Julianna (((()))) before we know it the chemo will all be over!! (and lmao at "pirate" comment!! :))

Take care everyone! xx
Marina

jaspercat

Good to hear how everyone is doing - makes me feel less nervous for Tuesday! Had hair cut and ordered my free NHS wig (we are lucky in Leeds to get one free) I look
a bit like Fearn Cotton so my hubby says 🙂

Juliana I am a physio and believe me I won't be doing hardcore aerobics during my chemo - just gentle regular exercise, that I enjoy!! I know the Danes are very pro exercise but if you don't enjoy that type of activity then don't stress, lots of walking and fresh air I think is just as good - not sure what research they have been reading will have a look at our UK stuff but I haven't heard or seen that specific advice before!

Have a good weekend everybody xx
Kate

ScaredOfChemo

I know how you feel, Kim. First you wait for the diagnosis. Then the surgery. Then the results of your pathology report. Then onc appointment... Now waiting for chemo and once that starts I will start the wait for the side effects and when my hair falls out.

Life is on hold at the moment - that's how I feel.... 😞

Julianna

kim1

Hi all, thanks for your kind words Julianna, only another weekend to get through before Monday finally arrives (I seem to have spent the last month waiting for weekends to pass - most of them extra long ones) I had my hair cut short today as have got a wig appointment tomorrow, I'm taking my eldest daughter and best friend with me to make an afternoon of it and have some fun. How life has changed in a month!!!! Keeping my chin up - all of them actually.
Kim

clare83

Hi emotional, sorry I didn't include you in my earlier post.Delighted that it's going well for you.
Going to have to make a list of who's doing what and when! There's a lot of us now and it's difficult to keep track.
Good luck to everyone starting next week.
Clare xx

ScaredOfChemo

Ladies, so pleased everyone is doing so well with FEC1 - fingers crossed it will be the same with us, next week! Ctazy physio lady called again today to remind me that the 'hard core areobic' classes are on Tuesdays and Fridays and I should go... IF I feel like our first 'lot' I might consider going....

Wig shopping today was not a huge success - I have short blonde blond hair and tried on 3 or 4 wigs, all short but... They've looked OK on but not 'me' - looked like me in an a wig. So have postponed it till next week when my sister is here and can give me her opinion. No scarves for me, tried some on, look like a (rather ugly) pirate in them. 🙂

Julianna

emotional

Hello ladies.
Woke up with a sicky feeling this morning but soon fine again after taking tablet,surprised how well it seems to be going at the moment still got my appetite,out & about just doing my everyday things probably hit me eventually when i least expect it.

keepingpositive & debbie1234-glad to hear your 1st chemo went well,i didn't think it was as bad as i thought it was going to be & like you say the nurses are so nice it does make a difference.

Good luck to you other ladies starting next week,will be thinking of you. Tracey.xx

Lynzi84

Hi everyone,

not long to go now, kinda fed up of waiting. in one sense i just want to get started and in another i'm absolutly dreading it. just the after effects more than anything although it's a case of fear of the unknown really that's scaring me the most. now my birthday, christmas and new year is out of the way i have nothing else to think about.

been for my wig and 'headstrong' appt this week. i was given a headscarf and silk tie. i'd kinda convinced myself i wasn't going to be wearing a headscarf as i didn't want to put myself out there as an obvious 'cancer patient' how very vain of me 😞 turns out the one i've chosen (in my favourite colour) quite suits me. also seen a few wigs in town i think i may purchace but i don't want to jump the gun too much until i know what is going to happen.

how are we all feeling? best of luck to any ladies starting soon or have already started, will be thinking of you all xxxxx

dawnrise

Hi Joanna

So, so sorry this is happening to you. I will never forget those first few days. It's absolutely devastating. But you WILL feel better as time goes by. You have a lot to take in and adjust to. One of my first decisions was who to tell, that's ever so hard. But I found I couldn't hide my feelings and told most people. I'm glad I did as the support I have received has been amazing.

The treatment I have received has been fantastic. Every single person I have come across in the NHS has treated me as a real person and I feel confident I am receiving the right treatment which has helped a lot.

The only thing you can do is take each day at a time and be kind to yourself. Try to eat and keep strong. And this forum has been a huge help to me too.

Good luck and keep in touch

Dawn X

clare83

Hello all January ladies.
Welcome Joanna, sorry that you find yourself here, the diagnosis is an enormous shock but once you have your treatment plan it really does help. You will find this forum a great help. All the ladies are so supportive.
Thank you Gillian and Debbie so much for your postings, it is so reassuring and I am not quite so terrifed about my first session of FEC next Friday. In fact part of me just wants to get on with it, does that make sense?
I got my wig this week. I wore it straight from the shop to work, mainly beause my own hair looked such a mess after trying on wigs. As it was my first day back to work after 6 weeks off recovering from surgery, most of my colleagues just thought I had a new hair style and colour! Of course it now means I am committed to wearing it every day now to work! I do still plan to try the cold cap but won't be too devastated if it doesn't work as I do quite like my wig.
Have booked a day off work on Monday and my daughter and I are treating ourselves to a spa day before chemo starts on Friday.
Love Clare xx