cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo in July

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: starting chemo in July

Just popping in from the June thread. Those of you who've been sick, definitely bring that up with your breast care nurse or oncologist as they should be able to up your anti sickness. Emend is a good one. I think there's an even better one (my nurse told me Emend is gold standard and there's a platinum standard if that one doesn't work). I was told that you shouldn't be sick with chemo nowadays as the anti sickness is so good, but unfortunately many places don't start off by giving you the top stuff in case you're able to tolerate without. One of my friends was hospitalised from being so sick from FEC1, but they then upped her anti sickness and she hasn't even had to take a day off work throughout the rest of her chemo. I asked for the strong stuff from the start as was really scared of being horribly sick and I've been absolutely fine.

Just taken the clippers to my hair. Started losing it at day 15 after first EC chemo despite using the cold cap. Some things are just not meant to be!

Hairdresser is coming tomorrow to try and mend what I have done tonight. In hindsight I should have asked her to come and do it rather than "do it" my self but I had just had enough of trying to stay still and not shed hair.

EC number 2 tomorrow - do I do the cold cap again in the hope of holding on to some of the hair? Is it worth putting myself through a further 3 hours of what I consider to be torture in the "ballroom" at PRH or is it time to just give in and let go of the hair?

Hi all,
Not going to say too much as have had a tiring day. Just coming on to say hope all you girls having chemo tomorrow and this week get through it ok . Apart from being sick 3 times and feeling a little tired ( day 3 now ) it has been copeable.Also been very dosy and took one of my tablets at the wrong time.I did eat a light dinner before my chemo and was offered drinks and biscuits while been given it if that helps .
Hope you all managed a good weekend despite the weather and well done squirrel on doing the race for life,my sister was there today too doing it for me .I hope to be doing it next year along with a lot more of us, didnt go in for it this year as so much was uncertain with timing ,you were very brave.
Anyway thats enough of me rambling on good luck girls this week and take care everyone.Love Sharon xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies hope your all feeling ok today and good luck to those of you having treatments this week. I've not posted for a while I'm day 11 after my first EC, treatment was fine as was the cold cap, I was sick 5 times during the first night and felt awful the following day but from day 3 to 7 I felt a little better each day and from 1 week onwards I can honestly say I have felt completely normal ( OH would say I've never been normal though!!). Not due my next EC until 2nd Aug as we are on hols down in Devon last week if July. Stroomie - hi, I'm like you about the 'reconstruction' thing my boob too is smaller with a big indent think I'm going to wait another couple of months before I think about that though, let me know how you get on. Hope your second chemo session goes well for you..... And thd hair holds on!! ( my hair is still doing ok at mo )

Take care all love Adele xxxxx

Hello
i had lumpectomy and lymph in May and I'm due for my second chemo on Thursday this week.I'm having 4xAC every 2 weeks followed by 4xT every 2 weeks. Onc says it is because my cancer is triple negative and I'm so fit - no-one has ever accused me of that before.
I feel much like Angel really, a bit spaced out depending on where I am with the medication. Have had most of the expected side effects, but nothing too drastic apart from the constipation which escalated this week and have now been prescribed Movicol instead of Ducosate which did nothing (rather like me!)
I had my first cry yesterday - at home with OH,I bent down to take my books off and baged my head on the kitchen work surface and surprised myself and him by bursting into tears.
I just thought I can't seem to do ANYTHING properly and felt really down for the first time. I'm usually a coper and have been positive so far.
Am having PICC on Tuesday, seem to be living at the hospital. Have to write everything down, can't seem to hold any info in my head at the moment.
I had my hair cut shortish on Saturday and arranged to go back for the shave when I need to. Expect to lose my hair after this next chemo.
1 down 7 to go - Good luck this week ladies.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, haven't been on here for a while.... i'm into day 17 from my first fec.... feeling a little drained at mo but i think thats due to having a bad throat and mouth. Have got penicillin to take. Hair started to thin a little over weekend but nothing serious as yet... still frightens me 😞
Got my second Fec friday, can feel myself getting nervous about it already.
I'm tempted to ask the onc about reconstruction this week as have noticed now that my boob has really shrunk and indented.I know i should think myself lucky i still have one and believe me i do.. Anyone feel the same way i do? any advice on reconstruction would be great 🙂

Hope all you girls are feeling ok and good luck this week xx

Guest user
Not applicable

This all sounds very positive. Well done ladies. Hope I am as good when I get there on Wednesday.

Love and Hugs to everyone being Poked, Prodded, Pricked and Processed, this week.

June

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I just had some toast for brekkie when I went and glad I did eat something light.

I am keeping two 1 litre nottles of water and juice water in the fridge just to keep a check on how much I am drinking each day.

I am also taking my temperature each day just to keep an eye on things.

Today I feel a little spaced out but no longer feeling sick which is good.

I am eating little and often and mainly when I take the anti sickness pills. I set the alarm on my mobile to remind me when to take the meds and have it written on the box so I know which ones to take when.

Everyone will feel different I guess after treatment and I am hoping that I have now recognised what the norm will be for me for the first three days. This I can cope with, but the next challenge is the hair......

Good luck to eveyone who starts this week

Anne x

Guest user
Not applicable

Cherry tom, you'll be fine! You'll probably have to stop yourself from eating the whole cake as the steroids can give you serious munchies. Good luck. X

probably a daft question, but do you need to any prep before chemo. mine at 12 midday, shall i have lunch? seems daft, but no one told me anything and I dont even have an official appointment just time and date on a bit of paper!

Hi Everyone ! Cherrytom, You'll be fine believe me ! Take plenty to drink but not excessive amounts, keep sipping throughout the day. You'll find you feel thirsty at least I did. I am on day 3 now and guess what, I ran the Race for Life with my girls !! Well I say run but walk/run and a time of 38mins. Hope I don't pay for it later, last steroid taken but soo lucky no sickness really. Hair feeling a bit dull and it kind of aches but dont know if I'm getting fixated. Wig safe in its box, and i can't look at it.
Lisha, I am having next chemo at 9 am all being well, so will miss u, seeing onc day before 9.40. Hope u having good weekend and the sickness settled x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, it's my 1st tomorrow as well. Not sure how you are supposed to prepare, so I am using the denial approach! I'll pretend it's not happening and probably have a complete melt down at the hospital when I arrive. Its also my youngest's 3rd birthday tomorrow, so plenty to distract myself with. Hope i'm not too sick after so I can have some cake. Good luck everyone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Anne 🐵 First one over with. I have that pleasure to look forward to tomorrow. I'm trying to remain as positive as possible, almost to the point of silliness. ;o) I just don't want to expect side effects to the point I almost convince myself I have them. Does that sound mad? I find I'm sounding increasingly mad as the days pass.
I went for my bloods done on Friday and was such a brave little soldier, and didn't even get a sticker! Shocking! Being a grown up is pants. Perhaps I'll suggest stickers on the comments forms they leave dotted around the hospital. ;o)
I hope you're still feeling quite well Anne and the same for everyone else who's started the treatment journey. Lots of luck to all those starting this week. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Just read your comment Angel and with less than a week to go for my first one that has made me feel so much better. I hate feeling sick let alone being sick but it seems manageable. Well done hope you will soon start to feel better.x

Well done Angel. We are funny aren't we, always need to get the washing out no matter what! My OH has neve understood my need to get the washing on the line. I hope you continue to feel better.
Super trouper, that seems quite early to be losing hair, thought it would be on 2nd treatment. Had much shorter haircut today and booked for shaving 1st week in august. My hairdresser is lovely and will come to the house. Have good rainy weekend all

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

The chemo sesion itself was not as bad as I thought it might be, I had none of the signs that the Nurse said I might have with some of them, FEC, like mussy head or itchy nose and sneezing. I did start to feel tired almost as soon as I left the ward though and after I got home and put some washing on the line and I went to bed.

I was sick four times throughout the rest of the day but mainly it was fluid and mainly only happened when I moved around.

I was told to drink at least 2 litres of water a day, so took a bottle of water to bed with me and drank throughout the night only getting out once to go to the loo.

Today I feel brighter but still feel a little sick, but have managed to keep two slices of toast down to take the tablets.

Whilst I hate feeling like this I am resolute to the fact that it will make me better. I am trying out some Lillipops - ice pops in different flavours which were designed for pregnant women. The chemist can order them for you at http://www.lillipops.com. I tried one last night and it did help.

The nerves and anxiety over what to expect leading up to the first chemo can overwhelm you, but just try to remember it will make you better. I have a mastectomy and radio therapy to come after this but by this time next year I will be better.

All the best

Anne x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ST. Just wanted to say that I had a massive sheddage, and my scalp was quite sore and i thought that was it, but that was a few weeks ago now and then it's calmed down. Quite a lot falls out everyday, but I still have a head full of hair, and do softly clip it up when I'm at home so I don't cover the house in hairs! So don't give up on the cold cap yet if you don't want to. X

Guest user
Not applicable

I threw mine out of the window for the birds to use in their nests. Hope they liked the colour.

Oh gosh ST that's what I did with my hair! - don't know why but I just couldn't shave it off so collected it and put it in a bag; I still have 'the bag' now, one year on x

Hello everyone, I am now 3 days away from EC number 2. Hair started shedding at about day 14 after the first ec and is still shedding at quite an alarming rate. I comb it with a wide toothed comb twice a day and hope that each time I pass the comb through that the shed will be less. But it isn't. For some strange reason I have started putting all the hair into an envelope, not sure why. The shedding seems to be from all over now, at first it was from around the neck area where I think the cold cap didn't fit too well. So far there are no bald patches but if it carries on at this rate then there wont be much left in 7 days time. I cannot wear any dark tops because my blond hair just covers the shoulder area within minutes. My OH and son keep telling me not to touch my hair but if I don't gently sweep away the loose hairs then I know they will just drift down onto my shoulders and cause me more upset when I see them.

Wishing all you lovely ladies good luck on your personal journeys through this.

Deb

Guest user
Not applicable

So good to hear from you just to know there are others out there going through the same thing, I don't feel I am on this journey alone. Good to know that even when I worry about the most trivial of things there will always be someone there.
I will think about you June on Wednesday and send a big hug.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Googegirl

Welcome to the forum (that sound so Frankie Howard doesnt it?)

Sounds like you've had a lot to take in in such a short time span, at least I've had since April to accept it all. But I'm still in denial.

[[[Sticks head in sand and sings Laa! Laa! loudly, waving vein in direction of nursing staff when they need one.]]]

Any help you need you'll find somewhere on the site, you just need to ask. There'll also be virtual hugs and hand-holding when you need them.

I will be 2 days ahead of you this week, and it's my first too so I'll be looking out for your hand on wednesday.

Good Luck for this weekend. I know you'll be worried but make sure you get some 'ME' time for yourself.

Love and (((HUGS)))
June

Hi Sqiurrel,
Thought that must have been where you had been . I have my next one at 3.30 on aug 4th. Sounds like we will prob bump into each other some time . I saw a volunteer called catherine i think she was lovely too . The lady who showed me round was called sharon same as me.And the lady was called Claire who gave me my chemo she was lovely she really helped me . I have got a wig sorted for when i get my hair shaved so i will either have a bandana on or my wig next time i go. Hope you havent had too many side effects and that you have a good weekend.Love Sharon xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, Well what a whirlwind of a week I have had. Been diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and in one lymph node. Going to start chemo on 22nd July and after 6 sessions three weeks apart will have an op to take away ,hopefully, much shrunken lump ! Anyone out there in a similar position. I am absolutely terrified of the thought of what lies ahead !!!

Hey Lisha, fancy that, we were there at CHH same day for our first dose! We may meet up yet ! Did u meet Kal the volunteer? She was so lovely, gave me a hug on the way out! Good luck to all the newbies as we count our lost hairs in the shower, take our pills,and worry over the weekend. Be strong xxx

Hi Everyone ,
Looks like a few of us have got our first chemo over with this week and there are a few waiting for next week too .Good luck to you ladies who are waiting.
Squirrel ,
I had my chemo the same day as you .I was at castle hill .Lovely place(if you have to be there) and really reassuring people too.Glad you got throught your first chemo it a really aprehensive time.
Lynn,
I had a meltdown too it came on the day my appointment came it sort of seemed more real then. As for being positive its easier said than done sometimes but people are just trying to help i suppose and dont know what else to say to us
Anne,
Well done for today and i hope your night passes without too many side effects.
I was a real baby ,think i had got myself in a bit of a state and i walked in gave my name and cried.Never minds the runs afterwards i went 6 times before i got in there.
The nurses were lovely really kind and besides a cold feeling in my hand and a tingling in my nose nothing much else to tell. Did get a nice cup of coffee and biscuits though so might go back again for my next one!! The thing i was scared of was would i still be me and feel like me and yes i did. So you girls with your chemo still to go you cant be more of a wimp than me and if i can get through it you can too.
I felt fine when i got home and even cooked tea and did a bit of housework then unfortunately i was sick once last night and twice this morning. Not sure if i made myself worse with nerves and also am taking some antibiotics and i think all the tablets and no eating just gave me a bad stomach.
I decided this morning it was a new day got in the shower put my make up on and met my mum and sister for coffee and out for coffee this afternoon too with my hubby so a better day today.At least with my second chemo i hopefully wont be on antibiotics and i will take my spare antisickness tablets sooner.
Well gonna rest now so hope everyone has a great weekend with not too many SE and good luck to next week girls i will be thinking of you all .
Love Sharon x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi jenben, Fingers crossed that chemo is not too bad for all us July starters! Which chemo are you having? Ive got my hats and wig at the ready! Not sure how Im going to cope with loosing my hair, having it cut next week. Im hoping the thought is worse than the actual event!

Lyn x

Ps Westland, I think I am in permanent meltdown! I am sure having a chemo date is the realisation of the grim reality of it all, and maybe the anticipation worse than the event. X

Welcome lyn! Another 22nd julyer! Things are sounding positive on here at the minute, not too many drastic side effects so far! Have a good weekend all those who have had it this week.
2nd haircut tomorrow, used to have big curly hair so getting it down gradually. Hard to think will be bald within the month x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, Im starting chemo on the 22nd July. Do you mind if I join you? Im having 6 tax. I have had a complete meltdown day today, haven't had one for ages so suppose it was due! My poor hubby used the words "positive" and "strong" again today when trying to console me. Can't repeat what I said, it would definitely have to be edited!
Poor bloke can't win at the moment!

Lyn xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone!
I am another July starter, 1st FEC-T on Monday 18th. Had my hair cut short last week so my children could get used to me looking different - taking me a while to get used to it!
Good to meet you all xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Well that is the first one over and done with only 5 to go. Not as bad as I thought it might be, just feel tired now so I am going to give into it, but have mangaged to hang the washing out since I have been back.

My first hat has just arrived too so all falling into place now.

Anne x

Thanks JenBen ! I'll be thinking of u next week. Yorkshire grit will get us through girl! By the way not Corsidyl that's yeuk it's Chlorhexadine ( I cleaned surfaces at work with that stuff- kinda feel sorry for the surfaces!!) Still if it prevents/ helps sore mouth I'm game ! X

Hey well done squirrel, sounds like you manages really well! A sure now you have first one over with the anxiety must feel a bit less? Good luck over the weekend and hope you manage to stay well x

Hi everyone, hope u don't mind me joining the July ladies as thinking I might need some virtual hugs over the next few months. Had the first of the FEC-T yesterday. So alarming to see the quantity they put in! Completely hyped as to what I was feeling as it went in but only experienced a headcold feeling which disappeared really quickly. Had a little weep when it was all done and then felt great, made my mum lunch and played cards with my girls. No nausea, just tiredness but I didn't give in. Warned to take Dex early 4pm as it disturbs sleep and I have managed good night. The worst thing ? Cosydyl mouth wash Yeuk!! Hair crisis looming but I feel resigned to losing it ( no cool cap offered in Hull ). Taking each day as it comes with plenty of water/lucozade. Mmm Corsydyl time ....can't put it off any longer xxx

Good luck angel, let us know how you get on x

Guest user
Not applicable

Angel 11859 Good Luck for today Anne. I'll be holding virtual hands.

Mads79 - I know what you mean about it all being a bit surreal.

I started on this lark 13th April, I still dont feel it's real.

I told a friend yesterday that I just had my head buried in the sand and was singing Lah! Lah! loudly. I just wave an arm at the nursing staff now and again when they want a vein

TBH I've had 'the visit'. That happened whilst I was an inpatient with Cellulitis. Been back a to talk about the Hickman. I'm in next week for Line fitting and 1st session. Picked up a wig yesterday (that feeling was unusual)

Dont know yet when it will turn real.

Love and Hugs
June

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Anne. I understand the housework thing....my house has never looked as good! Deep breaths and hopefully you'll feel heaps better in a few hours time, because it won't be the unknown anymore and fingers crossed it won't be half as bad as you (and I'm) expecting.

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone

A little nervous about this morning but know I do not have any choice. So up doing the housework and washing to keep my mind occupied.

Thanks for the good wishes and to you all too

Anne x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all. Off to my 'pre chemo visit' tomorrow. Love how they call it a 'visit' as if, should i not like it, I have the choice about whether or not I go back! And then full steam ahead from Monday. I'm beginning to think that what everyone else around me has called 'bravery/positive thinking' has actually been denial! It honestly keeps slipping my mind that I even have to go tomorrow. I mean, I have so much other important stuff that I also have to be getting on with. Until now, despite all the tests, appointments, the op etc, it's all been a bit surreal. Either way, I guess the surreal is about to become very very real!

Guest user
Not applicable

Angel 11859

Hi just popped in from the June thread. Angel, I live in Salisbury but my onc works at Southampton, which is where I will get rads. Ibc too and on Fec-t x8. Two fecs down and hating feeling ill but managing well on the good week.

To everyone else, the hair loss/shaving and scarf/wig wearing turned out not to be so bad after all, it seems to be more about getting your head in the right place. (no pun intended).

Best wishes for the weekend and good luck for those being poisoned next week!

Xx

Good luck to all! It's clear that we will react in different ways, and no one of us will be the same. I have asked for a line as I know my veins are shot from iv antibiotics the other week. They have said I need to try first time, so will have to with that. The tops of both my hands are still so sore from the iv's
It's good to know I am not alone in this and thanks for sharing the journey and the experiences along the way x

Hi ladies I am just coming in from June thread as had my 2nd fec yesterday. I can only reiterate what everyone else has said and that its honestly not as bad as you think. So many anti sickness drugs available now but I would recommend emend - seems to be the most expensive and in some hospitals if you don't ask fro it you don't get it!
For all you mummies out there I have 2 daughters, one is 5 tomorrow and my baby is 1 on Tuesday. I was so so worried about the impact this would have on them and the hardest part so far was not being able to hold my baby for 2 weeks after my mastectomy. I have told my eldest I have to have some strong medicine and may make my hair fall out but i have used the cold cap and so far and still got a head of hair (albeit very thin) but I had my hair cut short before first chemo and my daughter told me how lucky I was that I could have short hair and long hair (as I brought 2 longer wigs similar to my old hair!) kids are so resilient and take everything in their stride and keep me going.
Good luck to everyone this week
Xx

Jenben .. I'm on EC and have done 3 already .. some people seem to suffer really badly with it .. but honestly I've not been too bad at all .. nauseous for a couple of days and very tired then weeks 2 and 3 back to full steam. I am now having the neulasta jab to boost my neutrophils as they got extremely low and I didn't want any delays. And had to have a portacath fitted yesterday as my veins (with the E) had given up .. so sore and tender...now wish I'd had this from the start.
So it will be okay and you can do this .. I go to the gym and go out every day for a walk round the park.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Luck for today Sharon.

I'll be thinking of you.

Love and Hugs
June

Hi all,
This is it .I get my chemo at 2 o clock today.Just sat here wondering how im gonna feel for the next 5 months!!! Knew it had to come but its scarey when it does.
Thought it was gonna be cancelled as i had a leaky boob AGAIN on tue and had to go to the doctors and they put me on yet more antibiotics.I didnt want it to be cancelled as like the rest of us weve got to have it so lets just get on with it.
Im drinking loads of water as ive heard it helps.Then knowing me i will spend my whole time at the toilet.
Went for my chemo talk yesterday which wasnt too bad as i knew quite a lot already from you girls on here . The worst part was when i went in the chemo suite to look round and there was a child in there i had all on to keep it together .Why is life so cruel?
Anyway better get on so there not too much to do tonight.
Welcome to our thread Anne and the best of luck for tomorrow i will b thinking of you. Good luck for all the other girls with chemo this week too.
Take care all of you .Sharon x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Can I join the July club, I start on Friday (15th) 6 sessions of FEC-T, then a CT scan again to see if my lungs have been cleared. I have IDC grade 3 and IBC.

THey then plan to do the mactectomy, then 3 weeks of radio therapy. Topping off with 5 years of hormone pills.

Deep joy

I live just outside Southampton, anyone else in this area?

All the best

Anne

Hi all.
I am starting 22nd July Bettyboo, your not in sunny Yorkshire are you? Exactly same regIme as you. Herceptin always given with last 2 chemos and then for a year 3 weekly. To my knowledge herceptin not given without chemo that is why if anyone is her2+ they have chemo.
GL, no have not had ct scan lymph nodes, altho had 10 removed on 20th June following a micro met on the sentinel node biopsy
Been to a fab wig shop this morning, you get one free on MHz from there. Realised I may actually look human once I lose my hair and was glad I went. One frustrsting thing is I need to make appointment with the hospital to get it free, which is a 2 week minimum back log. The staff at the shop thought it was crazy, but were not able tO do anything about it?
Good luck with the nerves building up to it x

Guest user
Not applicable

Looks like we all feel the same way about this trial.

Did anyone else do the CT Scan on the Lymph Nodes? I don't mind trials that don't put me at risk.

Well there looks like a few of us for a start next week. Good Luck everyone.

Thank goodness the weather has turned a bit cooler. I've started sleeping for longer at night so feel a bit more alive during the day. Couldn't work out whether it was the worry about the disease or the heat that was waking me so often.

Love to All
June

Hi ladies starting 4 x ec & 4 x tax 22 july. My onc has said i will be starting 1 year of herceptin after chemo has finished - is this the norm or can you have with chemo? He also offered me the hereceptin trial but not sure if i want to cut my chances so to speak.