1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo in june 2014

Jbf57

Re: starting chemo in june 2014

So sorry but I'm going to have a rant! Yesterday was such a bad day and not because of physical problems. I drove my daughter and her boyfriend to Manchester airport, they have four weeks away in in Singapore, Malaysia, Bali and somewhere else I can't remember. The drive there was fine, all of us chatting, my husband handing out lots of advice about food to eat etc, (like my daughter doesn't know being a seasoned traveller!) and then we got to the airport. Meltdown. My daughter sobbed, then I cried. Oh dear, what a pair we looked. She was so upset because we all should have been away enjoying fabulous times - her brother and his girlfriend already started their holiday 10 days ago) and we should have left on 25 June. Anyway, I managed to calm us down and off they went. Drive home was uneventful, I quite enjoyed it really. However, I didn't enjoy the rest of the day. Couldn't settle, felt incredibly ANGRY, and ended up going for an 8.5 mile walk along the canal, looking over the bay to the Lakeland fells which normally lifts my spirits.The only thing was, everyone I met, instead of saying hi, or greeting me in some way, seemed to not want to do that, unless I smiled first and said hello and then it seemed to be only the chaps, possibly because I was wearing headgear clearly to cover baldness, jeggings, trainers and a waterproof, whilst they were in shorts and tee shirts! I of course was feeling cold and they were obviously not! When I finally got back, my husband suggested a glass of wine and to get drunk with him, probably joking, but all I could say was, oh, that's really going to be good for me! Total misery. The evening went from bad to worse, each of us preparing our own meals because I haven't been able to eat much since start of chemo, before sitting down to eat together. I went off for a relaxing bath (joke) while he listened to music. I went to bed at 10.30 because I was completely done in. Nightmares then followed, culminating in me bashing a blond haired woman sitting in a bedroom with my husband with a pair of ghd hair straighteners! Not much sleep after that! Got up at 5, finished clearing up the kitchen, fed the cat, cleaned her litter tray and had breakfast on my own. Hope today will be better .... Here endeth the rant. Sorry to all of you suffering far more than me, I just can't cope with how angry I felt yesterday - first time since dx in April. Hope next time I post it will be with something to make you all laugh .... Best wishes to you all out there and let's hope today will be much better! Jane xxxxx
Roxie65

Hi Ria

Sorry to hear your news and hope all goes well with the treatment.  At least you know that your oncologist is taking very good care of you and making sure your treatment is the best it can be.

We as a group will all support you all we can on here so do come back and keep us informed.  If we can only make each other smile through the rough days its a bonus until we all come out the other side.

Hope all goes well xxx

cowgirl

Hi ria2056,

What disappointing news for you - a real bummer.  I am sorry and I hope you have better days coming soon.   I have my second chemo in 5 days and dread the possibility of a blood count delay - we all just want this ordeal to be over.

Louise3721

Hi Ria i am visiting from April post I think there is a lady on there who is having same chemotherapy as you it rings a bell but that could be chemo brain. Can I suggest you put this post on there? Good luck x
ria2056

hi all

Well had my pre chemo appointment yeasterday and am in a low place right now, had my first FEC on the 16 June, and the onconologist was not happy as my tumour appears to stayed the same, she now wants to change my regime from FEC-T  to DC, and to top it all off I get a phone call stating that my blood count is down so i won't be starting that Monday

She was not positive yesterday and when I asked how many cycles I would have she said that she did not want to go down that road as it has been known for cancers to resist chemo and I may need the surgery first quite quickly if the DC did not work,

Has any one else had this DC chemo as the oncologist said it more aggresive than the FEC treatment and I can not find much info on it

Cas164

Hi Athens,
I had my second FEC Wednesday just gone. So sorry no experience of postponement .

My hair though is going and I feel as if I'm leaving a bit of a trail behind, however, no bald patches yet and I still look respectable to open the door so I'm going to hang on in as long as possible..

Let me know what you decide!

Cas x
Athens

Hi all

I was due to have my second FEC today but at the pres assessment yesterday I was told my white blood was too low and so postponed for a week.
I was really surprised this happened as I have felt fine through the first cycle apart from Days2&3. I thought it might happen later on as the chemo builds up. Has this happened to anyone else at this early stage?

Still have my hair though it has been shedding all week. Need to decide if I get my head shave tomorrow or try to wait til Tues when my hairdresser is back. I so love my new short hair style that I would like to hold onto it a few more days!
Take care all
Athens x
Athens

Hugs to you Rach & hope things are improving.
Athens
Cas164

Rach, sending you lots of hugs and hope you are being looked after well in hospital.
Take care Casx
Roxie65

Big hugs Rach we are all routing for you for a speedy recovery xxx
cowgirl

Hi Rach,

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time.  Here's hoping that you start to see some real improvement.....soon!

rach72

Hi everyone. Thank you athens and hope you're well and thank you for the meds tips cas164 I'll make sure i ask for them next time. I'm unfortunately stuck in the hospital at the mo with implant infection, possible blood clot and neutropenia. On the bright side, at least there was a reason for me feeling so rough! Hope everyone is faring better. Onwards and upwards lovely ladies. Love and hugs. Rach.xxxx

Cas164

Rach,

Hope things have got a bit better, I was prescribed difflam oral rinse for mouth and doublebase gel for skin.

Casxx
sugar8

Hi WP23 ,
Glad your chemo went well with few SE. Having Herceptin with 2nd dose of chemo. then for a year.
HopeI feel as well as you. x x
WP23

Hi Sugar8

Had first of four TC on Monday, not too bad, tired and achey and constipated! mouth starting to feel a little yuck, i did suck on several ice lollies while having taxotere so hope mouth doesnt get any worse.

Are you haveing herceptin at the same time as TC? i dont have it until after chemo and radiotherapy so a while off yet.

I had no lymph node involvement either.

Hope all goes well on 9th

Take care

Wendy xx

sugar8

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so ill Roxie65. Hope things improve with the next 4 cycles
sugar8

starting chemo in june 2014

Hi Wendy

Searched the web and visited onc nurse for reassurance. The tc-H regime was offered because my invasive CA was only 4mm with no node spread. The oncologist thinks its better for reducing the side effect to the heart whiccan be linked with the herceptin so i'm going along with it. Actually starting on the 9th July.

How r you coping?

cowgirl

Hi Everyone,

I send good wishes for feeling better to you all.  All day my hair was really coming out fast.  I was in a meeting for work this morning and had to keep brushing the hair off the conference table in front of me!  My clothes were covered in hair.  I am 2 weeks out from my first chemo (exactly when the oncologist told me it would fall out) and I am in a "good" week - feeling so much better than the previous week.  Ok, so today I picked up the wig I ordered last week and I went and bought some caps and a scarf..... the shower of hair was bothering me so much that I finally had the nerve to go have it all cut off.   I have a very short haircut that looks remarkably like my husband's haircut.  Anyway, it was nice to come home today and read the funny story about the green face mask.....thanks. 

Athens

Hi MummyDolly
Hope things are getting a bit better as the week goes on.
At least you must be getting a decent amount of sleep if you crash out at 8pm and it is great you are still getting a decent amount of exercise in, albeit not as much exercise you were used to.
Athens.
Athens

Glad to hear you are feeling a wee bit better Roxie.
How odd that the healthy foods are having this effect. Last night I cooked up a pile of different very healthy soups and meals and stuck them in the freezer to see us through the next week after my second chemo this Friday, so I will be interested to see if I still want to eat them. As ever, it is good to hear the experiences of others so if it happens to me I'll know I am not the only one.
Take care
Athens x

Athens

Hi Pixie
How are you doing now?
I am having my second FEC on Friday & the oncology nurse warned me last week that as I had an easy time after the first one, it can only get worse and the postings here seem to support that. Hey ho.
It is great to have this forum to exchange our experiences.
Athens.

Athens

Hi Rach
Hope you are feeling better?
It certainly is a warning to me of what can happen out of the blue, so thanks for posting this.
Take care,
Athens xxx
Athens

Brilliant! Thanks for this great story.
Athens
Cas164

Heck chemo brain on good form! Should read mask not ask!
Cas164

Lovin'the face ask story........ Maybe that is the look I'll go for. :-))

Sitting in bed after 2 FEC today wondering what the next few days will bring. Hopefully sunshine, smiles no sickness and boundless energy. I can dream can't I .

Take care my fellow June Jewells xx
Cas164

Roxie65

Ha ha I bet she has retold that story so many times since she has  finished work lol!!!

Certainly made me smile!!!  Hope all went well today and hope everyone else is progressing well!!

Good luck everyone xx

JuSt

Very funny - I can just picture that!!  Certainly brought a smile to my face Smiley Happy

Hope the 2nd FEC has gone well & you continue with miniman se's - and funny stories!

JuSt

Jbf57

Good morning, hope this brings a smile to all of you out there. Thought I'd apply a facemask this morning to try to plump out my wrinkles, and of course, just as I'd put it on the post lady rang the doorbell. However, what I'd forgotten about was that I had no beanie on to hide my bald head! So I said, 'Ooh, sorry to scare you, I've just put this face ask on!' Her face was a picture! The facemask has a very fetching green tinge to to it so combined with the lack of hair, she probably thought I was auditioning for a horror film! Maybe not that funny now, perhaps had to be there. Anyway, off for 2nd Fec at 1.30pm. By 3.30 pm I'll be a third of the way through. Good luck to everyone, hoping for minimal se's again .... Fingers crossed.
Roxie65

After my second Fec on Thursday  today is the first day I feel remotely ok.  Still no energy to go out for a walk but hoping that may come tomorrow, today hanging out some washing took it all!!  At least the heartburn seems to have gone and I can drink and eat without it hurting so I am eating and drinking whatever I feel like, I have given up on all my good intentions of healthly food and drink!  

Unfortunately my head seems to associate healthy smoothies etc with the feeling of nausea and the lifemel honey I was going to take daily to keep my immunity strong makes me gag just by coming to mind.  So from today its all about getting what meds I can to help me through and doing whatever I can to make the days easier even if it means avoiding all the healthy stuff!!!  So goodbye to all my good intentions and heres to surviving for the next 4 regimes!!!

I hope everyone else is doing much much better than I am at keeping healthy and that your side effects are minimal!!

Good luck everyone xxxx

rach72

Good morning all, how is everyone feeling today?

I stupidly spoke too soon regarding minimal side effects as I woke yesterday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus! I had ulcers all over my throat and my skin was so sore I couldn't stand anything touching it. I spent most of the day on the sofa and went to bed at 8. Think that I may be feeling a little better today but I'm still very achy.

Hugs to all.

xxx

polar_1

It is 2 weeks since my first chemo session on the 16th and I have been pretty lucky so far with no serious side effect problems. I felt really sickly in the first week but took the meds and it got better but had a loss of appetite. I do get very tired and fell asleep a couple of times watching Wimbledon on TV last week.

When I go out for a meal I do find it tricky to choose something I fancy from the menu due to a change in my taste buds. I seem to crave bland foods and have completely gone off alcohol which I suppose is not a bad thing. I love toast and marmalade for breakfast and before chemo I hated marmalade!

Today is the first day that any of my hair has fallen out and a little clump came out this morning and even though I am waiting for it to happen it still feels strange when it does. I suppose this will be a busy week hair loss wise. Good luck to everyone having their treatment this week. Sue xx
Cas164

Hi All,
Just gearing up for no 2 fec on Wednesday !

Pixie, very interesting to hear what your nutritionist has advised. I do know that iron supplements are notorious for making you constipated! A beautiful side effect of the chemo anyway! So something to be aware of.

I hope everyone else is doing ok.

Cas xx
Pixie100

Hi I found the first week harder this time, although nausea did not last quite so long, still had slightly weird taste in mouth yesterday. I went to see a nutritionist through a charity called the haven which offers alternative therapies to women going through treatment. I think how you eat can really help and she has recommended a couple of supplements to help with the tiredness which cd contributed to by low vit B and zinc but I am also thinking anaemia is a risk and had asked my onc if it was ok to take iron supplements if my Hb count goes low which he said would be fine. Im also eating way more fruit and veg, nuts and seeds than I used to and have cut down on heavy carbs, pastas white rice, pizza, takeaways etc. but had to force myself to eat quite often because of taste changes. Still eating chocolate or cake if I really craving it just not every day. And used to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine of an evening and have cut that out now. The nutritionist said do not drink at all through chemo as it's more work for your liver but onc had said the occasional glass is ok. Not sure it's fair to ask us wine lovers to give up completely on top if everything else although have not yet felt like drinking this round, I think your body tells you when it's ok. I felt well enough yesterday to go for a run although more of a jog as first time I have done anything aerobic for over 2 months, and was a shock to the system! Hoping to build back up slowly. Had my hair cut again on friday and still have just enough to cover the balding patches but then you go out and the wind messes it up, so feel paranoid about the baldness all the time, really dreading more hair falling out. My hairdresser offered to thin out my wig for me to make it look more natural and there is a powder he was recommending to tone down the synthetic shine, but don't want to have to wear it through the summer, sounds hot and uncomfortable. Is anyone else wearing their wig regularly now?

I think each cycle will be tougher and we just have to be patient and listen to our bodies if we need to rest. V frustrating but at least I've been sent a stack of DVDs which I'm looking forward to and audible books are great for when you're really knackered.

mummy2dolly

Your docetaxol sounds vicious, I've got 2 more AC doses then move onto weekly Paclitaxol..... Which I've been told is much gentler - I bloody hope it is..... There is no way I could do the AC weekly. I changed my facebook profile picture to a semi bald head shot yesterday. Everyone said I'm 'brave'. Is that another way of saying 'I'd never go out in public looking like that'?!!!!
runner29

Since my 2nd docetaxol on Monday it's been roughly the same as the first time, other than having an allergic reaction to the chemo itself whilst they were administering it this time- strange! Monday/Tuesday feeling fine other than hot feet that I need to put on ice packs to keep cool. By weds evening when the steroids are wearing off that's when the 2 days of crap begins, last time weds night n thurs were bed ridden days due to intense bone pain, this time it was moderate bone pain coupled with passing out on the bed after nearly blacking out in the toilet 😕 Friday I'm tired n achy but beginning to pick up, tired all weekend then by Tuesday I'm back to normal but have to remember that's low immunity time. I think I'm just starting to dread changing to FEC as I'm getting to know where I am with the docetaxel.

I have my MRI on Thurs then discuss the results with the oncologist on the 14th July. Really hope the chemo is kicking butt.
mummy2dolly

How are we all doing?
I'm def slower this time round, Fri I went to the gym in the morning and then walked round the mall all afternoon - totalled 15,000 steps (I'm a fitbit freak) which is my usual average and by no means a lot and I was crashed out by 8pm..... Could not keep my eyes open........
I got my ranitidine on prescription Roxie but they only gave me enough for 5 dys and the heartburn had lingered past that......
I've been craving fried eggs and steak!!! I'm just eating what I crave tbh as I think the body knows best what it needs....... Today it needed half a tray of flapjacks my daughter made for her school lunches...... Oops!!!!!
rach72

Good afternoon everyone. Sorry to hear that some of you are suffering from nasty side effects 😞 I had my 2nd FEC on Weds and was feeling pretty ropey for two days until I realised that I had only been taking half the dose of steroids! As soon as I started taking the correct dose things improved dramatically. I think that I have been so lucky so far to only have very minor side effects, besides hair loss. I am now completely bald on half my head and the rest comes out if I rub it. Maybe I have been lucky and things may get much worse (dreading the Docetaxel), but I have read lots of tips from old threads on this board and I take quite a bit of medication in the first few days that are hopefully helping out with preventing side effects. On the day of my treatment, I take Emend an hour before. I also take a piriton tablet to help prevent bone pain from the Lenograstim injections. I suck ice throughout the treatment. In the evening after my chemo, I take an Ondansetron tablet for sickness and I also have Domperidone for emergencies, if all other anti-sickness doesn't work. I then take Emend for the next two days, 2 Ondansetron each day for three days, 2 steroids twice a day, Piriton, Lenograstin injections for five days and Ranitidine for heartburn and indigestion. I brush my teeth with a soft bristle toothbrush 2/3 times a day and use Corsodyl daily at the same time. I am also prescribed antibiotics, Co-Trimoxole, that I take twice a day on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the cycle. I have Zopiclone prescribed for any sleep issues, which I fortunately have not had to resort to yet. I also have Tramadol for emergency aches and pains, but after taking my temp, I have been sticking to just Ibuprofen if needed. I eat bran for breakfast every morning and try to put some fibre into everything that I eat. As I have already said, I could just be very lucky and I certainly don't want to appear patronising to any of you lovely ladies that are having a really rough time. I am thinking about you all and thank you so much for the invaluable support that I receive by just reading all your posts. Good luck to everyone undergoing treatment this week and I hope that those who are feeling poorly start feeling better very soon. Lots of love to all Rach xxx
Roxie65

Morning all

Still feeling really really weak cant believe how much more so than last time.  I really dont know how people without family support around them get through the first few days if they feel like this, my heart goes out to them!!  I am literally moving to eat or drink which is prepared for me and to go to the loo otherwise I am on the sofa!  

The sickness was so much better this time but the heartburn which I never had last time is a big problem which I will try to get sorted for next time as its hurts eating and drinking and so feel shaky.  Still hopefully each new day will bring improvements lol.  Two out of the 6 Fecs now done so thats a third so have to focus on that to get me through the next 4!!!

I hope everyone is coping well and not suffering too much or for too long.  The support from this page is like nothing anyone else around me can give so thank you and I hope I can help support you all too!!

Good luck to anyone having chemo this week!!!

xxxx

Athens

Hi Roxie
Hope the improvement continues and you are feeling a bit better.
Take care
Athens
Athens

Hi Tinker
Hope you are continuing to do ok after your second chemo. It was great to hear that the shave & wig went well. I am due my second (of 6) FEC next Friday, so I am expecting my hair to go by then. So far it is still hanging on tight.
Take care
Athens
Louise3721

Hi ladies i am on round 4 of 6 Fec and I have been told that the treatment is accumalative I know it's awful but just try to do a little every day and it does get better. I had my head shaved after Fec 1 couldn't bear to watch it fall out. I mostly sleep for 4 days after FECING treatment Make sure you eat bits and drink lots x
cowgirl

Hi mummy2dolly,

I am so sorry to hear about your round 2 exhaustion.  I am in week 2 of my 1st round and I really feel pretty good (except for an endless headache) - so much better than feeling sick all of week 1.  I was just assuming (hoping) that this pattern of having 2 good weeks per round would continue.....and of course, now my hair is starting to fall out.  I hate this, too.  

Roxie65

Hi Mummy2dolly is that on prescription? I have no energy, on the first cycle I tried a jog on this day and today I haven't moved off the sofa just too tired was hoping it would improve soon but think your a week ahead of me so not sure now.  Hope you feel better soon x

mummy2dolly

Roxie I get ranitidine to take at home for the indigestion/heart burn.

I'm getting more tired by the day..... After the first cycle I was back to normal by week 2 but this time round I'm def slower and more easily fatigued...... I feel like an old bloody woman..... I hate resting and sitting.......
Roxie65

Thanks Yankee will give these a try.
Yankee

Dear Roxie65 -- When I was on FEC last year the hospital sent me home with several different meds for sickness.  Emend is the best for the first days -- for later on I found Ondansetron to be the most effective.  You should be able to get a prescription for it from you GP.  Hope things get better for you, I know how unpleasant it is!!!  At least, not being actually sick is a step in the right direction!   Oh yes, two non-medicine tricks I learned were eating anything with ginger in it -- ginger ale, or eating crystallized ginger, or sucking on cold bits of pineapple chunks.

Roxie65

Hi All

Had my second FEC on Thursday afternoon.  Was prescribed emend this time whch I was given an hour before chemo.  Wasnt sick the first night like last time but did feel nausea but so much better than being sick.  Was up all night with a migraine and feeling sick.  Yesterday was a total right off felt like I had been hit by a truck, aches in my bones, migraine, feeling a little sick but terrible heartburn and no energy at all.  Laid on the settee all day and done nothing but  eat a little and drink a lot.  Tried renny but they done nothing and took paracetamol for the migraine but again no good anyone know what's safe to take?

Today I have a headache and heartburn and lack energy but so much better than yeterday!  Hopefully these will improve and any other se's will be minimal but wont count my blessings as yet!!

Good luck to you all hope you are all fairing well!!

xx

Vera-

Hi just wanted to let you know I started my chemo at end of May and was sick on the first evening pretty bad it gradually wore off. When I had meeting with my oncologist she asked how I was and I said I'd been sick but I was ok, she promptly said we will try a different an sickness. She prescribed Aprepitant , which I had to take an hour before my next chemo and then for next 2 mornings and I am happy to say I wasn't sick. I had very slight feeling of nausea for a few days but nothing compared to first time. Hope this may help.
cowgirl

Hi Cath - Glad you are with us, hope it isn't too awful for you....