cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo in june 2014

539 REPLIES 539
Roxie65

Re: starting chemo in june 2014

Thanks Julie!! I hope you had a fantastic time in Portugal and everything is going well.

Hope everyone else is doing well too!!

xxx
Julie286

Hi there! Not been on here for ages but having a day in the sunshine today and given that it was a year ago yesterday since I started chemo (someone else started the same day as me but I can't remember who) I thought I'd have a look!
Roxie, happy belated 50th to you and 21st to your daughter - quite right that you were spoiled!! And what fantastic news about your scans. So happy for you!
New York was amazing! Now looking forward to Portugal next month - I'm making up for lost time too!!
How is everyone else getting on? Anyone else on tamoxifen? How are you finding it?
Hope everyone is getting chance to enjoy the lovely weather!
Lots of love
Julie xxxx
Aura

Roxie65

Hi Everyone

So sorry not been on here for a long while but getting back to work full time plus having lots of hospital appointments has been so time consuming!!  Last week I was actually told that all my scans and tests showed no signs of cancer!!!  It was a year for me in March and with triple negative the first two years are the crucial years for it to return so already a good way through that, I am beyond happy!!

This week saw my daughter celebrating her 21st and me my 50th I have been spoilt, spoilt and spoilt.  A surprise party, surprise Spa, numerous lunches and meals out....wow what a week.  I went to Gran Canaria overe Easter so have a lovely tan again.  Off to Mexico in July so can't complain.  I think so far this year I have made up for last year!!

Julie you will be away soon I hope you have a fabulous time!!  New York wow definitely making the most of it!! Pixie sounds like your making the most of it too!!  Good luck with the mammogram I know we all hold our breath until those results are back and expect we always will.

Hope evereyone else is going on ok.  Would love to know how you are all doing but I expect you are all getting on with  your lives again now so maybe dont get on here.  This page was a God send when we were all going through it!!

Love and hugs to you all. xxx

P.s My hair has grown beautiful and believe it or not I have had it cut to get the curls out and have a lovely bob which actually really suits me and makes me look so much younger!!  Who would have thought I would choose short hair over long!!

Pixie100

Hi Julie

Sorry for delayed reply. I have been stuggling a bit with going back to work nearly full time and feeling very tired. It was great to spend a week in the mountains in Austria, lots of clear air, delicioius healthy food, time with friends and almost managed to forget about the 6 week slog through radiotherapy!!  Seems like an age ago now as has been all work since I got back. But I've just been away for another weekend in Sussex near the Seven Sisters which was also wonderful as the weather was so good and feeling so much better as a result. You must be looking forward to your June holiday, not long to go now 🙂 

Hope everyone else is doing well if you are still on the forums? Roxie, hope your scans were ok? I'm coming up for a year since diagnosis this week and seeing my oncologist on Thursday, then have mamogram in May.

Love to all,

Pxx 

Julie286

Hello all!

Pixie and Roxie - so good to hear that you are doing well!!

Roxie have you had your bone scan yet?  How are you feeling?

Pixie, glad the rads weren't too traumatic. How was Austria?  Are you back at work now? 

I don't look at this site very much any more - purely because I don't have time! But it would be good to hear how everyone else is getting on?

It was a year since my diagnosis at the end of February so we had a group of friends round and celebrated Chinese New Year - it seemed quite appropriate!

Off to New York with my husband and two teenage daughters in June.....I am beyond excited!!!!

Lots of love to everyone - hope things are good

xxxxx

Roxie65

Thanks Pixie x
Pixie100

Hi Roxie

Glad to hear the CT scan was clear. Good luck with bone scan, fingers crossed for that one too.

Px

Roxie65

Hi Ladies

Hope all is going well. I am now back at work full time which has been tiring!!

My ct scan results were good but as I still have pain am now going to have a bone scan just to make sure nothing is restarting as my onc said. I don't think it is but glad they are checking into it all the same.

Hope everyone is doing well xxx
Pixie100

Hi ladies

Just wondering how you are all doing? 

I finished radiotherapy last friday, 6 weeks went very quickly and I didn't have too many skin problems in the end, but feeling very worn out now and not really in the mood to celebrate. I am enjoying not having to do the daily commute to hospital though.

Am off work now for a couple of weeks and going to Austria next week which will be great as have not been away for over a year and finding it very difficult to switch off and relax properly at home!  

Pxx

Cas164

Pixie, I'm also a third way through my rads. My radiographer said if you are using aleo Vera mix it with E 45 as it can be drying on its own. If you are having rads to the clavicle you need to make sure you moisturise the back of your shoulder too.
Just glad it's the weekend. Feet up, Chinese takeaway for dinner, sorted ! 😃
Cx
Pixie100

Hi everyone

Happy New Year, belatedly...

Sorry for being quiet for a while. I had a load of technology things go wrong over Christmas including my broadband not working for two weeks. Then forgot my password for this forum and it took ages to have it reset.

Glad to hear you are all ok. I was worn out by Christmas and not in festive spirits at all - spent a lot of those days napping!! Feeling much better now and hoping 2015 is going to be a better year for all of us. I started radiotherapy last week and on Friday I'll be able to say I'm a third of the way through, and will have only one month of treatment left to go, except for tamoxifen. Radiotherapy has gone ok so far, am slathering on the aloe gel. 

Julie, I had my locks upgraded after the burglary and am slowly dealing with all the different people I need to speak to for the insurance claim, will get there eventually.

Cas, sorry to hear you had some down days and know how you feel. Think we'll all have to deal with a few ups and downs after everything we've been through and need to be kind to ourselves and not expect too much too soon and remember this group of lovely ladies is here for support if we need it.

Px 

Cas164

Sorry Julie, I know you are not quite through treatment totally but I meant post chemo. Cx
Cas164

Yes thanks Julie much better. Just gearing up for the start of radiotherapy on Monday. I will be counting down to the finish! How are you doing now all your treatment is over?
I hope everyone else is doing well.
Cas x
Julie286

Hey cas. Just wondering how you're getting on? Feeling any better? X
Cas164

Thank you Julie for such wise words. I know I was just doing too much over Christmas hence the probable dive bomb. I'm never good when I'm tired!! Now the oldest is back at uni and the youngest back to school I have time to take a breath and see how far along the road I have travelled as we all have. I think as you say we have all come such a long way since last June and we all have to give ourselves a huge pat on the back for getting this far.
I don't think the roller coaster every stops, I think we have to enjoy the highs and put up with the lows!
Back to reality the washing machine is calling!
Cx
Julie286

Hi everyone

Happy new year! Hope everyone had a good time and those that still have active treatment to go are getting on ok. I've got a couple of months now and then an op to take out and replace the expander and maybe do something with the 'old' boob. Not looking forward to more time in hospital but needs to be done.
Cas - how are you feeling? Do you think the roller coaster ever stops? I know what you mean about the highs and lows. It's much easier for everyone else to move on and get back to 'normal'. It really is so very scary tho. Maybe you could sit down with your family and just ask them to hold on just a little longer? They're probably just very excited at the thought of having a 'well' you again. They'll have missed you!! Look back and be incredibly proud of how strong you've been over the last year.
Roxie. Hope there's good news about the shoulder.
Pixie. Did you get everything sorted after your break in?
Runner. How are you honey? Been thinking about you

Lots of love to everyone xxxxxx
Cas164

Having a real downer today :-(( family are intent on wanting to plan this and that and I just can't get my head past the next lot of treatment. I keep telling myself I've got this far rads should be easy but I really don't know how I will be feeling. One minute I want to conquer the world the other minute I want to crawl under a big rock and not come out. Aghhhhh just want to feel positive about the future but it's all too scary.

Sorry to moan Cx 😒
rach72

Happy New Year to everyone!

Hi Roxie,I'm also having problems with pain in my shoulder blade. I've had blood tests and an Xray, both were okay but I've still got the pain 😞

Good luck with your bone scan.

xxxxx

Roxie65

Hi Julie

My shoulder blade has been aching since I was first diagnosed and still is so they are just checking its nothing to worry about.

Good luck with the rads Cas. I found rads ok just a bit of prickly heat and a little sore but keep applying the aqueous cream and it really helps. I found it a walk in the park after having chemo!!

xxx
Cas164

Happy New Year to everyone!
Just radiotherapy left for me starting on the 12 th. Bring it on !
Casxxx
Julie286

Hi Roxie

How come you're getting a bone scan?

Xxx
Roxie65

Hi Everyone

I hope you are all doing ok.  I am currently waiting on a bone scan as a precaution so hopefully that will be very soon.  Have started a phased return to work and the first two mornings were good but tiring lol and that was just chatting.  My hair is doing well I can even use gel and spike it but not a lok I want lol.  Just need a bit more length on the top and no one would ever know its not just cut into a short style!

I was totally spoilt christmas and it was lovely I do hope you all were too and had a fab time!  We are coming up to a new year and can hopefully put this rubbish year behind us.  For those of you still having treatment then hopefully that will end soon and the new year can be a fresh start for you too.

We all deserve a fantastic 2015 after the year we have all had so at the strike of 12 tomorrow night I will be thinking of you all and raising a glass to a healthy New Year for us all!!!!

xxxxx

Julie286

Merry Christmas everyone!
Hope everyone has had a really lovely time - so very much deserved after the year we've all had!
I'm feeling just about back to 'normal'. Just a couple of niggly bits - veins still a bit sore and mouth still a bit 'gloopy' .... And of course the lovely tamoxifen hot flushes - but definitely so much better!!
Hopefully the only thing left now is one more inflation - I've cancelled a couple because I've had too much on - and then just whatever op will be needed to replace the inflator and maybe rejuvinate the other boob!! Oh yes, and sort out the wild hair!! It's growing back with a mind of it's own!
Wishing everyone all the very best and I shall be raising a glass on New Year's Eve to all the fabulous ladies on this forum who helped so much through one hell of a year xxxxx
Roxie65

HI Pixie

So sorry to hear your news....as if you dont have enough rubbish going on in your life without those b***s doing that.  Seems odd that you were targeted and no one else does make you wonder if they have seen your activities over the past few months and taken advantage of it.....just proves how low some people can sink.

Hope your ok now and that your chemo has now come to and end so you can get on and enjoy christmas!

Hope everyone else is doing ok and just incase I dont come on here before christmas I wish you all a very happy christmas.  We have all got this far and we deserve a fantastic christmas!!!

Wishing you all the best!

xxxx

Cas164

Hello Everyone,

It's very quite on here, I trust that is a good sign for us all.

I hope things are going as well as they can for everyone. I keep my fingers crossed for us all that we can keep strong and find happy and positive things to keep us going Cas xxx
Pixie100

Julie, sorry to hear you're having to have those tests done. Fingers crossed for a good result. Pxxx
Pixie100

Hi everyone

So I've had a crap week. Got back from hospital on Tuesday to find my flat had been broken into and all the electronics and jewellery taken. V stressful dealing with police, insurance, work and having to get the place secured quickly when we are supposed to be taking it easy and couldn't think straight with a head full of chemo. They said it was odd that only my flat had been targeted, usually they do neighbours as well but there were no other burglaries in my street that day. At least no one was hurt and they didn't harm my cat who seemed to be not at all bothered by the intruders and was demanding food in his usual insistent way as soon as I got home!

Anyway, next week is my last session of chemo and then having a bit of a break before Christmas which is a relief. It's been a long six months. Hope everyone who has finished chemo is doing ok.

Runner, have you heard any more about your treatment?

P xxxx

Julie286

Hi all
How is everyone? Been so busy that I haven't managed to catch up for a while.
Runner (Claire?), how are you? What's been happening since your awful news? Have you started back on the chemo? Why do they need to do that? So unfair and I wish there was something I could say that would make you feel a bit better - but please know we're all thinking of you and sending you as many positive thoughts as we can.
Cas, did you get your biopsy results?
Merrill, how was the beach? Hope you had the most wonderful time.
I've got my last inflation next week (I have one amazing boob which is really putting the other one to shame!). Got my letter from the geneticist and they're testing me for the BRCA 1&2 and also two other genes coz I've had 2 types of skin cancer (something to do with a possible link with pancreatic cancer) That's not what she said at my appointment but I'd rather get the tests I suppose.
Hair growing in - grey 😞 and had to shave under my arms for the first time last week - what strange milestones we celebrate now!!
Have a good weekend xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Roxie65

Hi Claire

How are things with you?  Don't forget we are all here if you need  us.   Big hugs and lots of love. xxxx

Jo_BCC

Hi runner

After reading your post I wondered if you have seen any of BCC's publications about BC within families?  I have put for you below links that I hope you find helpful.  Also if you need to talk to someone in confidence then our helpline team are just a free phone call away.  0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-families-...

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-famil...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Pixie100

Runner, I am so sorry to hear about everything you are going through and that you are facing all this before you have even turned 30. Thinking of you and sending you a massive hug. Let us know what you hear about the further chemo. We will be here to support you through this. Px
cowgirl

Hi Runner,

I was so sorry to hear your news about the gene testing results.....and then the double whammy with the additional chemo and falling down the stairs.   It is just so unfair - you are way too young to have to go through all this.....it is crappy for all of us, but particularly for you.....but, you are strong and you were in such good shape (as a runner) when all this started - that's got to be positive and will hopefully help you get through this miserable time.  I wish I could do something to help.  I am sending lots of hugs and good wishes/prayers.  Let us know what they tell you about the additional chemo - we are here for you.

Cas, I am glad that you are feeling a bit better,

Love to everyone,

Merrill

(I am not going to tell you how nice it is here at the beach, but we all deserve a break like this...)

Cas164

Runner , I'm sending you as many big hugs as I can through the airwaves. BC is the hardest thing possible to deal with and is such a roller coaster. Hang on in there girl we are all there with you. Xxxxxxxrxxx
Roxie65

Cas so glad things are now going well for you and normality is now returning.....good luck with it all xxx

Claire I cant begin to know how your feeling you seem to be having one blow after another just wish there was something I could do to help.  Why do you need more chemo?  I will be thinking of you and if you need to chat to someone removed from it all then private message me and I will be more than happy to be your ear to let off steam etc.  I am here if you need me xxx

runner29

Glad to hear you're doing ok after your op Cas.

Unfortunately I thought I would be having radiotherapy next but at my post-op results appointment yesterday they broke the wonderful news that I need to start chemo again. Will find out full details next week but will be between 4 and 6.

It's Xmas then my 30th birthday in jan so looks like my gifts are more chemo. After finding out that I was brca2 two weeks ago, falling down the stsirs on my bad arm n boob last week and now this, I'm about broken.
Cas164

Thank you Berkshire lass. I'm finding it difficult not to get carried away by doing too much. I've had a wonderful dog walk with my friend this morning it's fantastic to be back doing those normal things,

Cx
BerkshireLass

Hi Cas
Dropping in from July as I've been wondering how you were getting along. Glad to hear you are on the mend
Cas164

Hi everyone ,

I hope you are all getting back to some normality. Thank you for all your good wishes. I'm 12 days post op now and still quite sore mainly under my arm but with enough paracetamol it's ok. I will find out soon when my radiotherapy will begin and for how long.

Meanwhile I'm doing my exercises that I've been given and keep looking forward to NOT having my diary full of hospital appointments.

Take care everyone

Cas x
Julie286

Hi runner. That's rotten. You really shouldn't have to be dealing with all if this at your age (not that any of us should at any age) but particularly harsh when you're so young. I'm sure they'll offer you lots of support - and if they don't then make sure you demand it.
Merrill - enjoy the beach. It will be so lovely to get away. We were trying to fit in some sunshine but with teenagers both taking exams it's not looking possible till next summer. I'll REALLY appreciate it by then!!!
Cas, are you home and recovering now? How are you feeling? How's the pain?
Pixie - lovely to hear from you. Hope you enjoy your well earned 'break' in December and hopefully Christmas will be lovely feeling normal(ish!!)
Roxie, I think you're right to wait till after Christmas - make the most of being off. Actually wish that I'd waited a couple more weeks - for no reason other than I now feel like I've never been away and now I'm feeling well there's loads of catching up I want to do (mostly involving meeting friends for lunch and getting back into some exercise - nothing constructive!!!). Hey ho, I'll fit it in somewhere!!!
Speaking of which I'm off today and just about to launch into 2 weeks worth of ironing. Have been 'finding' other things to do for the last hour so had better crack on!!
Love to everyone and ria - how are you getting on?
Take care. Big hugs xxxxx
Roxie65

Hi Everyone

Cas I do hope your feeling better after your mx and that all is going to plan, have been thinking of you!

Pixie good luck with your last chemo and I hope you find rads a lot easier as I did!

Merrill so pleased to hear how well your getting on and I hope you have a fantastic time at the beach in California I am so jealous. Enjoy you deserve it!

Julie I hope you are still feeling good and that work hasn't proved to much of an ordeal!

Ria how are things going, have been thinking of you lots and hope things have improved!

Claire so sorry to hear your news and how rubbish you feel.  Take advantage of the councelling offered by the genetics clinic and take your boyfriend along they really do explain all the options available, including if you wait before having the ovaries removed what type of checks etc you will get.  I realy feel for you as you are now having to make such big decisions at such a young age, this illness really is so unfair.  Big hugs and remember we are all hear if you just need to vent.  I have a friend who also came back positive to BRCA2 and she found it hard enough and she has her family so it must be very hard for you.  Dont make any decisions until you are happy to do so! xxxxx

runner29

Hi everyone, feeling pretty terrible at the moment, just got genetics results back and despite having no family history i tested positive for BRCA2. This has floored me and I've spent a few days feeling awful. Me and my boyfriend really want to get married and have children but now there are some big conversations to be had. Really gutted that now as well as having to have a mx on 'good' side I'll have to have ovaries removed, that's more operations and messing around with my body! Feel so crap.
cowgirl

Hi Everyone,

Cas, how are you feeling now after your surgery?   I am so glad to hear that so many of you seem to be improving and are even starting to get back to "normal".   I had my follow-up mammogram last week (it has been about 6 months since all this started) and that was nerve-wracking, but fortunately they gave me the results within minutes and the radiologist said that everything appeared to be fine - whew!!!  They only did the left breast - which was the side where I had the cancer, lumpectomy and radiation.  I will wait another 6 months for my normal mammogram.   I am having really sore and stiff knees from the Anastrozole pills - I limp when I walk and the pain can keep me awake at night - my oncologist said that this is a typical side effect, but if I don't improve in a couple of months, he will switch the medication and see if it works better.   I am starting to "go commando" without a hat or wig - my hair is still really short, maybe 3/4 of an inch long, but it lays flat on my head so, unfortunately, I still look mostly bald.   On the bright side, tomorrow, we drive to California - to the beach - yippee!!!

Love to all of you and here's hoping we all continue to improve,

Merrill

Pixie100

Hi everyone

Sorry haven't posted for a while...sounds like most of you are finishing up your treatment now which is great news. I have one more round of chemo to go then radiotherapy through into the new year. Not sure exactly when all that will start yet, think I have a couple of weeks off in Dec. I've been feeling a lot better the last few weeks, getting some energy back and my hair is starting to grow, have been able to ditch the wig 🙂 taxol has been a lot gentler than the first four rounds of AC although only have around three eyelashes left on each eye and eyebrows are very sparse! I did the look good feel better day at hospital which is worth it if you have time.

Hope everyone's recovery from surgery goes well. Do take it easy if you can. I had surgery before chemo and took a month off work and really needed it!

Ria, hope your side effects have eased off and chemo is ending soon for you too.

Px
Cas164

Hi all,

Sitting here in my hospital bed so pleased it's all done. Feeling ok at the minute and have been up to the loo and got my pjs on. I'm not having recon yet. Possibly in the future . I have got small boobs so I'm surprised I'm not looking too wonky! I'll get the results of biopsies next Friday the next big hurdle .

Thanks for the tips girls Onwards and upwards!

Cx
runner29

Great to hear that some of you are managing to return to work and get a but on normality back 🙂

Just seen that you're having your mx tomorrow Cas, with the top tips I agree with what has already been said in terms of keeping on top of pain relief. But also button up top to go home in as you'll need to get movement back in your arm and shoulder so won't want to be putting things over your head. I took an eye mask and earplugs as there is always something going on in hospital which means sleep can be difficult. Are u having any recon? If so what type?

I had my mx and ANC on 20th Oct and finally yesterday had my last drain out!! Big things they are, was pretty annoying carrying them around everywhere and sleeping with them for 2 weeks! I'm feeling ok now just feel like there is a swelling under my armpit which is pretty annoying and not yet got a full range of arm movement back. Hopefully this swelling feeling will go away soon cos it's annoying!! Have my results and expansion of my implant in a couple of weeks so gearing up for them next! Xxx
Roxie65

Hi Julie

Glad to hear things are going well and your back at work must feel great!!

I am all finished now feels so good. I have decided to wait until after christmas to return to work as the oncologist has said the burns can get worse before they get better and that the fatigue will also get worse. I see her again the week before christmas to check the burns have healed etc so thought will stay off until then. I don't want to go back and then it all hits me so will use the time to get myself fit again!!

Good luck tomorrow Cas!!

Big hugs everyone xxxx
Julie286

Hi all!
How is everyone?
Well, 5 weeks since last chemo and apart from my mouth still being a bit 'gloopy' I am feeling pretty good - dare I say..... Normal!!! Am back at work. We've had a lot of changes and so I'm mad busy.... But loving being back!
And we've finally allowed ourselves to book a holiday - yay!!! So happy!!
I had 'cold capped' so had managed to keep hold if some hair but was quite baldy on top - but I was having a look yesterday (have my wide hair band in most of the time so don't often see my head!) but there's quite a lot grown back and my scalp looks pretty much covered - ok it's fluffy and quite grey..... But it's definitely hair!!!
Cas, good luck for tomorrow. I had my mx back in April and am just now getting my Implant inflated. Having been through op and chemo - I can honestly say, give me the op any day!!!! It's sore - but keep taking the painkillers. I was told it's better to keep taking them to keep on top of the pain rather than let the pain build up and then try to get it under control. The physio will give you some exercises - do them religiously every day - they really do help. The only other think I would say is I could feel myself getting better every day - but after about 3 weeks i didn't feel I was improving and in fact was gradually feeling a bit worse. Turned out I had an infection so if you are at all unsure, get yourself checked - much easier to treat early! Oh yeah, sleep lots ..... Something we're all very well practised at!!!!
Roxie - you're all done!!! Yippee!!! What's your appointment before Christmas for?
Ria, how are you getting on? Hope you're ok.
Lots of love
Xxxx

Roxie65

Last one tomorrow and I so can't wait!!!!! A little burnt but nothing too much but can carry on burning for up to 3 weeks apparently but really hopeful. Saw the consultant yesterday and was told that as have triple negative I will have to see the surgeon and the oncologist alternatively every six months and a mammogram every year for the first 5 years so at least will be checked. Last appointment as far as treatment goes the week before christmas so can hopefully start the new year afresh.

Hope all goes well for you but will stay around to hear how you and everyone else gets on!!

xxxx
Cas164

Thanks Roxie, how's your radio been? Is that you nearly finished now ? I hope it's not been ok and you have something nice planned to celebrate! X