cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo in june 2014

Roxie65

Re: starting chemo in june 2014

Hi Athens

I bought them in boots and they really did help. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Roxie x
Cas164

Not sure which cold cap it was but it was a breeze! In fact I think the anticipation of it all was worse than the actual deed itself. I spoke to a couple of the other girls in the unit and they were brilliant their top tip was to put on lots of the Aussie miracle leave in conditioner before having the cap fitted. I also had some paracetamol which may have helped ! Give it a try x
sandie73

Starting chemo on Thursday 19th June. 3 sessions of EC90 and 3 sessions of Tax over a period of 18 weeks. Find the whole idea of chemo daunting. Can't decide whether to give the cold cap a go. In my chemo folder, there is a leaflet about the paxman cooler. Has anyone tried it and what is it like? x

angel77

Hi sugar8. I had my first TC and herceptin today and went really well .and at the mo i feel fine just a slight headache x
sugar8

Hi runner29. Thanks for sharing. You positive outlook is so uplifting for me. Feeling low today as seen oncologist and still have 4 wks to wait for Chemo.
Diagnosed 31st Dec'13
sugar8

Hi ange77l, I saw my oncologist today and he has offered TC along with Herceptin. I too am trying to find out about this regime as most people appear to be on TAC and FEC.
Commencing a month from today!!! The agony of waiting. That made me worry. Please link in if you get any more info and I will also let you know if I find out more.
Athens

Hi Roxie

many thanks for all the info in your post - I have my first blast of FEC tomorrow and the info from you and others really does help.

I was interested to read about the "cold gel strips" you used - where do you get those?  Seems like a useful bit of kit!

Athens

swm

Hi Caz 164, what type of cool cap are you using? How did it go?.
1st one tomorrow! 😱😱
swm

My start date was moved from Friday 13th to Thurs 12th!. i.e tomorrow !!
Nerves are kicking in now. Put away my hair dryer and straighteners for 5/6 mths. I shall have
to embrace the frizz until the inevitable happens.
I mentioned before, I was going to try the Paxman Scalp Cooling. I'll let you know how it goes.
Nurses are not giving me much hope of keeping my hair or at least some of it, going to give it a try though. Packing my warm clothes, which is weird in this lovely weather.
My thoughts are with all of you who are going through this terrible treatment, please let me know how you are doing.
mummy2dolly

Good luck to everyone starting today. Has anyone who started a couple of weeks ago noticed any hairloss yet? I've got shedding but not from my head, underarms or legs 😳😱😱😂.
runner29

Good luck to all those having chemo today x
angel77

goodluck today x im ready to ick it too today x
Cas164

Ready to get going, and ready to kick it too........ Thoughts are with my fellow comrades who begin their treatment today. Casx
Cas164

Jbf57

Morning all! Start FecT today, so sending lots of luck and good wishes to everyone on this thread, let's kick this .............. into touch! Take care all of you
Janex
Joanne1973

Hi again, just a little note about hair loss. It won't start to fall out until just before your next cycle, and it won't just all fall out all at once it will just thin. And I didn't lose my eyebrows until very near the end, thought I'd got away with it! Good luck x
poemsgalore

Hi Angel,

One of my February Valentine 2013 group had TCH. She had very few side effects, no sickness, but I think she did get some diarrhea. Although afterwards she did get peripheral neuropathy, which is quite common with Taxotere. She had TC x 6, and Herceptin for 18 months, beginning the same time as chemo. You will find some of her posts in the February Valentine thread, look for Lola. All the best. xx

Cas164

Hi Julie, yes I'm going to give the cold cap a go. It thought it looked like something out of Dr Who! Who knows whether it will work or it is worth it but we'll see. I've had a selection of head gear arrived in the post today. So at least if my hair goes quickly I will have something to put on my head! Hope all goes ok for you tomorrow x
Julie286

Hi Cas

Just to say good luch for tomorrow.  Are you having the cold cap?  My (lovely) breast care nurse said I might as well give it a go - but I'm not holding out much hope of retaining my hair!  I've had quite a while to get my head round things as I found my lump in January - I know that would be worse for some people having that long to think about things, but it's worked ok for me.  My stomach does a flip every time I think about it but by tomorrow night we'll be 16% of the way through!! Good luck xxxx

angel77

hi all .. my chemo is TCH there isnt a lot of people having this combination as its farely new just was wondering if anyone on here knows people thats been on it if so how did they manage and what was side affects plz . mine is tomorrow TCH x4 and continue herceptin for a year x

Lucy_BCC

Hi Cas and welcome to the BCC forums

Here's a link to the 'Top tips for chemo' thread which has been written by users over the last few years which may help:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/...

Please also feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 102

Take care
Lucy BCC

Cas164

Joanne thank you I know I need to just get on with it an look forward to coming out the other side . X
runner29

Cas164 I wasn't very prepared either, the most important thing to buy before is a digital thermometer you can get them from Asda or superdrug, apparently can get in pound shops too but I got mine from superdrug. The hospital sent me home with a carrier bag full of drugs n stuff and they gave me 2 different types of mouthwash in there. As for anything else just see how you get on. I haven't needed anything other than flavoured sparkling water to drink as tea started tasting horrible, but one week after my chemo I'm enjoying my cuppa's once again! Best of luck for Weds, hope the side effects are kind xx
Joanne1973

Hi all. Sorry you all find yourselves here. Im a december angel and had my last chemo on 28th march. Its tough but absolutely do-able. Be kind to yourselves and just take it one chemo at a time. It really won't be long until you are coming out the other side and getting your lives back. Hang in there and support each other. Xx
Cas164

Hi all, I'm also feeling terrified, but know I just need to get on with it. I will start on Wednesday 11 also fec-t . It is all happened so quickly that I don't feel as if I'm at all prepared. I haven't got anything ready ... What do I need to go and buy tomorrow ? It looks as though the mouth care is pretty important. I will be thinking of you Julie as I begin my own Chemo journey xxx
Julie286

Hi there everyone. In starting my chemo on Wednesday 11th. 6 x FEC. Should have started two weeks ago but got an infection following my mastectomy. I've got my wig, scarves, bonjela, mouth wash, soft toothbrush, ginger, dates, coconut water etc etc etc all ready - just really want to get started now. The sooner it starts the sooner it's finished. Feeling very nervous now but kind of helps to know that (sadly) theres so many people that know how I'm feeling. It's been good to read what everyone has to say, thanks xx
runner29

I have a PICC line put in about 10 days ago and it was absolutely painless. I'm glad I had it put in as they take my bloods through it each time and if I need antibiotics they can put them through as well, just wish they could put the zoladex and the white blood cell boosting injections through as well!! The only annoyance is trying to keep it dry in the shower but my friend has ordered me a limbo as she said these are really good, looking forward to trying it out tonight as it can't be any worse than the boots shower sleeve which was basically a £5 plastic bag with drawstring!

I've had some throbbing back pain today after walking round the shops, must be yet another side effect as I'm 29 n was running half marathons before this! Also woke up with a rash round my neck this morning, think I've become hypersensitive to the necklace that my boyfriend bought me for Christmas, so upset about having to take it off. I took some piriton this morning so hopefully that will take away the itching soon. Also have a horrible rough sandpaper like mouth inside, brushing n using the mouthwash but hasn't helped yet. Saying that I'm a million times better than mid last week so that I am thankful for. 🙂

I now am the proud owner of a synthetic wig, I bought it privately as the NHS wig lady said it could be 12 days til they get the wigs in for me to try n I was worried that I could have lost my hair by then. Also it was a better style for me than the ones she offered which weren't as long as my hair is now. I think the worst part for me too is my boyfriend seeing me without hair. I can wear my wig out and about but bedtime is my issue, I'm really not a fan of the sleep caps and scarves. He has been a star and said he'll love me with or without hair but it's a female pride thing I suppose. Saying that I totally love my wig it's long and thick and gorgeous. Same length but thicker than my hair is at the minute so I went and bought some pretty clips to put in it today. Now just the night time issue to either find a solution too or get over! Lol.
angel77

hi poppet11 .i had my pic line put in friday and i can honestly say i never felt a thing . so you will be fine 🙂 my chemo starts wednesday also x
Mel51

Poppett11 - just dropping in from the March group. I too was very anxious about having a PICC line fitted, but it was the best thing I ever did. The fitting is pain free (just like having a cannular fitted) the rest you don't feel. The nurses were fab to me and I drove home afterwards. Remember to put a warm pack on afterwards and once you get used to it it's fine. Have you heard of Limbo - they are on eBay and sell fab covers to go over your PICC so you can shower as usual. The best £15 I've ever spent!
Pixie100

Hi mummy2dolly, yes i'm having 12x weekly Taxol after AC, with a break every 4th week. 

All the best to everyone starting this week.

poppet11

Hi

Start my 6 cycles of FEC on Wed 11 June followed by Rads and then prob Tamoxifen for 5-10 years. Having my PICC Line put in tomorrow, feeling anxious about that.

Hope I am ready for all this.

All the best to all who have started or about to start this part of their journey.

Best wishes
Poppet11
ria2056

had my appointment for bone scan today its tuesday 10  things are really going quick. Not having surgery till after chemo, my head is just swimming at the moment

polar_1

Hi ria2056,
I too start my chemo which is FEC-T on the 16th at Southport Hospital. Hoping to get the results of PET scan early next week and fingers crossed that the lymph node near pelvis is not a problem but the waiting is always a worrying time. Good luck on the 16th and to everyone else starting soon. Sue xx
Roxie65

Hello Everyone

So glad you are all starting to feel better.  I had my first dose on Thusday and reported felt fine.  4 hours after I started feeling sick so took some more antisickness meds.  5 1/2 hours later the sickness started but once my stomach was completely empty it stopped and just the feeling of nausea continued.  The first night my head felt like it had been hit by a bus on the left side.  Migraine type pain at he back side and front  of my head and my eye jaw and teeth hurt on that side.  So no sleep that night plus the feeling of nausea.  One of those cold gel strips to the forehead seemed to have calmed it by 8.30 the forllowing morning.  Apart from that its only this nausea feeling which is bearable but will try to get some stronger meds to try and avoid next time.

My stomach now feels bloated so decided to try a run this morning as thought why still on the steroids I would have the energy!  I managed about 10x 40 second runs  what a cop out!  My chest was tight and I had no energy but carried on walking inbetween so hopefully may do me some good mind hasn't helped the nausea lol.  I am missing my running like mad.

I applaud those of you still managing your running and am as jealous as hell!!!  Looks like my run will be to the chemist for sennocot rather than round the nature reserve!!

Not sure what side effects come next as my first session but still feeling rather blessed not to be suffering as some are.  I am dreading the actual part of losing my hair which I know will come soon and not sure how I will handle a bald head or others seeing it especially hubby.  But I have two wigs one human hair one synthetic both a total match to my normal hair so will shave my head as soon as I start losing it and get my wig on.  My eyebrows have been tatooed so I  can stay with a parting and no fringe so hopefully will look the same.  I think once my hair has gone I will settle down and handle it better and might quite enjoy the synthetic one that I only have to shake to be able to have a good hair day!

Wishing you all the best with minimal if no side effects and look forward to hearing how you are all going!!

Roxie x

mummy2dolly

Hi Pixie100, I'm happy to meet a fellow AC receiver. Are you having the 12 Taxol after?
We all seem to be faring the same then with a couple of bad days but then ok again..... I feel a bit surreal about the whole thing at the moment in as much as I feel absolutely fine but am aware that my hair could start falling out any day this week...... It's mad isn't it?!!
I found ginger capsules in a health shop here yesterday, I've bought them in preparation for the next dose in the vain hope that they will help with the nausea..........
Pixie100

Glad to hear most people are feeling better again.  I had a few rough days after my first chemo last Thursday but went back to work yesterday, great to get some normality back. Sleeping a lot better too.

Runner29 my BC nurse said to expect a low point for a few days each cycle, hope you are feeling much better today. 

mummy2dolly I'm having four cycles of AC every three weeks as well. My surgeon told me to eat healthy mediterranean style diet but did not mention supplements. I am going to check with my oncologist which supplements are safe to take. 

Ria2056 everything happens so quickly at the beginning it does feel like a rollercoaster but everyone I have spoken to has said the beginning is the worst stage of the process and that it does get better. Thinkng of you.

Px

Debshady

Hi all. I am Debbie I had my first chemo session (6 x fec) on Wednesday at Leicester royal. Was better than expected. I felt a little sick on wed eve but took anti nausea tablet and it did the job. Felt fine yesterday and ventured out today. My 7 yr old was driving me mad this eve so had to take a few paracetamol after seeing that my temp was ok. Hope to continue feeling this good when I come off the steroids on sun.

Am not the least bothered about losing my hair as I have enough for 6 people and relishing the thought of not having to pay out for cut and colour every 6 wks!

Had my wle, mammoplasty and snb on 17th April and all healed up nicely. Originally lead to believe only having rads but due to her2+ and grade 3 dcis having to have chemo, rads, herceptin and tomixifen.

Good luck to all having chemo. Debbie
rach72

Hello everyone,

The thought of the chemo session was definitely worse than it actually was, however, I will still be glad to get the port put in before the next session as my veins are a bit of a nightmare. I sucked ice throughout and have been brushing my teeth and using mouthwash and up to now, haven't had any mouth problems.

I've felt a little bit sick but certainly nothing to write home about and have been a stickler for taking the antisickness on time and drinking approx 4 litres of water every day. I've been eating fibre with every meal so no digestive problems either at the moment. I've manged to work every day since and although I'm finding it pretty tiring, I'm sleeping well. I'm a little bit anxious about how well I'll feel when the steroids stop tomorrow but also feel blessed to have not suffered hardly anything up to now.

I hope that those of you who have been unwell are starting to feel better, I'm thinking about you.

Lots of love

Rach. xxxxxxx

Mummyraff

Hi all, i had rather a rough time to be honest! The hospital day centre tried alsorts but nothing seemed to work on me so was transferred to St James's in Leeds where i was kept in overnight although i think the cocktail i had been given during the day had started to kick in! I am now feeling much better, get tired quickly but eating ok and sleeping pretty well. I am hoping for Emend at my next chemo to try and avoid this happening again! Hope everyone else is doing ok and tries to enjoy the time till the next session as much as possible. Love and hugs, Sam xx

runner29

Wow mummy2dolly that's amazing that you've done 2 5km runs! I've been a little bit down worrying about the next one but I think your motto of making the most of the next 2 weeks is one I'm going to try to adopt!! It's a nice evening here so want to try to go to a beer garden and have a drink with my boyfriend who has been amazing over the last few days, just try to get a bit of normality back.

Mummyraff how are you feeling today? Hope they've managed to get you on some meds to sort out the sickness. Rach72 and Roxie how are you doing?

I'm wondering how much longer I will keep my hair now.
mummy2dolly

Hi runner29, I hope you're past the worst of it. I was the same after my AC, fine the day of and day after then couldn't get out of bed for two days..... I've done 2 5km runs since then though...... My cycles are 3 weekly do I've got nearly 2 weeks till my next dose......
runner29

Hi all, how's everyone feeling? initially I was feeling ok and going to work on Tuesday and Wednesday after my chemo on Monday. By the time it got to Wednesday evening I was in bed feeling like i'd been hit by a bus. Literally every bone, muscle and joint in my body hurt and I could not get out of bed. This continued for Thursday all day and I spent most of the day sleeping. Today I'm beginning to feel brighter, still tired but feel like I'm picking up. The chemo nurse said that I should be over the worst now so that's good news. I'm currently on docetaxel for 3 cycles then FEC.
ria2056

Had my first appointment with oncologist yesterday, she said I was triple neagative not sure if that is good or bad.I have an appointment Thursday and the on  the 16th start my chemo which is FEC-T. Must admit very anxious about all of this the last  two and half weeks have been a rollercoater 

polar_1

Hi Angel77,
The oncologist saw me before my first chemo session to give me the results of my CT scan (chemo then delayed 2 weeks for PET scan to be done). Maybe you will get your results when you go to your chemo session but it might be worth a call to your bc nurse to find out and you will then know what to expect on the day. Good luck xx
Roxie65

Just back from my first chemo this morning and have to say for all those starting theirs the thought was far worse than the actual chemo.  Apart from a cold arm I felt fine throughout and was only at the hospital for 2 1/2 hours (FEC and no cold cap).  It is now 3 hours after treatment and apart from feeling a little lightheaded I feel ok.  Not sure if it just hasn't kicked in yet but fingers crossed I will not get too many side effects.  I am drinking like a fish as told this helps, we can but try!

Good luck to you all.

Roxie x

angel77

my first chemo is next wednesday 11th june with herceptin. had my muga scan yesterday does anyone know when i get the results from that scan ?x
mummy2dolly

Hi to everyone who joined in the last couple of days.... How is everyone doing today?
I had my first AC chemo last Thursday and ran my first 5k since my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction 8 weeks ago..... I'm feeling great..... 3 days of real yuckiness but liveable with if it is only 3 days each time......
Can you tell me please what info you've been given on supplements..... I take wheatgrass tablets, high potency pro bionics and make fresh juice daily...... I've read some warnings against too many antioxidants though but as per Middle East usual ness have received absolutely no dos or don't pre treatment!!!
Lucy_BCC

Hi to the new users in this thread, swm, Pixie and Polar

Along with the support here please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries on 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

This link will take you to the BCC 'Undergoing treatments' information pages where you will find further support ideas from BCC including live chat, someone like me support and our group support services along with lots of information about treatments which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

polar_1

This is my first ever post so I hope it works out OK.

I will be starting chemo this month, hopefully on the 16th. I was booked in for the 2nd but when I went for the appointment I was given the results of my second CT scan and it shows a suspicious lymph node in the pelvic area. The oncologist has recommended a PET scan (booked for 6th June) to check it out and this needs to be done before the chemo starts in order to get an accurate starting point.

I had mx on the 8th April, grade 3 and 13/14 lymph nodes positive so future high risk. That is what really worries me, it spreading elsewhere. This is my second experience of bc. I had a lumpectomy in 2003 but did not have chemo as the doctor recommended Zoladex injections followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen and Letrozole.

Feeling OK about starting the chemo and just hope it can go ahead on the 16th after I get the PET scan results. Good luck to everyone else starting this month.
Pixie100

Just popped on to say hi to the June group. I had my first chemo session last Thursday. The chemo itself went ok but I had bad few days afterwards with nausea and the meds making me feel very dizzy and thinking how am I going to get through 6 months of this! Phoned my BC nurse and she said they would change my anti-sickness meds next time and will ask for Emend which seems to do the trick for most people. My sleep also seems to have been affected, was wide awake from 3-7am last night and going to ask about natural remedies as prefer not to have to resort to sleeping pills. I've cut my hair from long to very short and had loads of compliments on my new look 🙂 have also opted for the cold cap, will let you know how it goes.

I had no choice about chemo as had Grade 3 IDC with 6 positive nodes. Had WLE and full node clearance. I had to have CT and bone scans which my surgeon told me was standard protocol with lymph node involvement and not anything to worry about. Very scary few days but thankfully all my scans were clear. My lump was also strongly ER positive and I was told I would need 10 years of hormone therapy. I'm single and live on my own but have had amazing support from family and friends.

Good luck to anyone starting chemo in the next few days and weeks, it's not as bad as you think and even though I had a rough first few days, I'm feeling almost normal again today 🙂