1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo in june 2014

swm

Re: starting chemo in june 2014

Just saying Hi to everyone else starting Chemo in June. I start on Friday 13th !!! One of my friends reassured me, that far from being a bad day for me, it was a bad day for any rogue cancer cells.

I've had my surgery, theruputic mammoplasty which went well, this is the big one for me, as I am really dreading starting. I had Grade 3 Invasive ductil breast cancer, node negative, 3/8 oestrogen receptive.

I was touch and go as to whether I decided to have chemo, but in the end decided I would go for it.

I have elected to have the cool cap. I've rejected the gel based one and am changing my hospital, so I can have the Paxman one. I'll let you know how I get on.

A big hug to everyone else who is a June angel, we will get through this however tough it gets.

Athens

Hi Chelle
Thank you so much for popping in with this reassuring message.
Hope all continues to go well for you and your fellow June Jewels 2013.
Athens
rach72

Sorry that I missed you out mummy2dolly, so glad that you're feeling better now, and well done you for starting back at the gym! 🙂 xxxx

rach72

Wow runner29, that's brilliant that you're doing so well at the moment, long may it continue 🙂 it's certainly made me feel much less nervous about tomorrow. I'm hoping to stay feeling well for a little while as I really need to be in work for the rest of the week. With any luck, the Emend will work it's magic for me.

Mummyraff, I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling so rough and I hope that they sort your anti-sickness meds out as quickly as poss so you can start feeling better. I'm thinking of you.

Much love and best wishes to all.

Rach. xxxx

mummy2dolly

What did the hospital say Mummyraff? Are you feeling any better? How are you doing Runner29? Did you do your run?
I was fine the day of and the day after my chemo but was floored for the 2 days after that..... Today I went back to the gym for the first time......
Mummyraff

Hi, glad you are doing so well runner29! I had my first chemo yesterday morning and it wasnt as bad as i thought however within 3 hours of getting home i started to feel really sick and to date (8.20am) i have been sick 7 times (i am a very sicky person anyway!) and have rung the hospital who are going to get back to me shortly to tell me what to do. Hopefully they will change the antisickness drugs to make me feel better! As i say i am a naturally sicky person so probably no one else will be as bad as me! Hope you keep doing so well runner29.

runner29

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes 🙂 just an update on how chemo yesterday went: so yesterday went well, first day of chemo and felt ok all day. Even managed to have a shandy in a beer garden with My friend straight afterwards! The strong anti sickness drug seems to be working 🙂 Main side effect is the steroids make me starving all the time, today is my last day of those til next month tho! I have woke up today feeling ok but will be taking my carrier bag full of meds (yes seriously that big) to work with me today in case that changes so that I can dose up if needed! my partner has the not very nice job of injecting me this morning with the injection that stimulates my bone marrow to produce more white blood cells but I'm so glad he is doing it as I'm far too squeamish! I know that I won't always feel this good but am really enjoying feeling normal and trying to do as much on these days as I can so that when I'm not feeling so good hopefully I won't be so bored!

PICC line seems to heve settled over the weekend, much less aware of it now and my chest X-ray yesterday confirmed it was in the correct position too so that's good.

Mummyraff how did you get on? Rach72 no I haven't yet seen any research on piriton yet though I do like a good research so will let you know if I come across anything. Sugar8 I know how you feel, waiting was the hardest part for me but once id seen my oncologist I felt so much better so I hope the same happens for you.

I'm really considering a run tonight after work if I stay feeling ok, was training for tough mudder in July before the diagnosis and totally addicted to running n weights so really want to try to keep up as much as I can. Nurse suggested light stretching n yoga for excercising... Pffft!! Maybe in a few days if I feel rubbish but for now I want to run!
Roxie65

Hi everyone

Apparently I was due my pre assessment and chemo today but nobody let me know so am now starting on Thursday.  They rang to see where I was and if I could go along straightaway but as I was also going to have my chemo and had no one home they changed it to another day. I did think the pre assessment would be a different day to the chemo but the nurse send no you go straight in for it.

I will be having 6x FEC.  Good luck to everyone else having treatment.

YB54321

Just wanted to pop on to say that I hope all your treatment plans go smoothly. I was part of the June Jewels 2013 group and I started my treatment on 12th June last year. I remember just how scared I was at this point 12 months ago but if you take things gently you can get through it. Speaking to others at the same point in their treatment is invaluable and stopped me from having many wobbles. There are still over 30 of us from the June 13 thread in touch on Facebook and meeting them is one positive I take from this experience. Most of us are now through our annual mammograms and (touch wood) so far we all have no evidence of disease!
It seems like a mountain to climb when you set off of this journey but I can't believe how quickly 12 months has passed.
I wish you all the courage and strength to get through this and I hope you find some amazing friends along the way, just like we did. Lots of love - Chelle x
sugar8

Good luck mummyraff and runner29 for tomorrow. 

Lucy_BCC

Hi Athens
Welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you continue to find helpful tips and support from your fellow users
Please also feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to more information and support ideas around undergoing treatments which you may also find useful over the coming weeks and months:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/starting-chemo-in-june-2014/m-p...

Take care
Lucy BCC

rach72

Hi everyone.

Good luck to mummyraff and runner29 for tomorrow. I've been for my pre assessment today and I'm starting treatment (FEC-T) on Wednesday (yikes!) I have come home with a prescription for Emend, which has made me feel better 🙂

Does anyone know anything about the research that has been carried out re Piriton helping with bone pain after the GCSF injections? I have asked my oncology nurse about it today and she says that she knows nothing about it.

Hope that everyone is well.

Rach xxx

Athens

Hi there,
I am starting chemo on 12 June - 6 cycles of FEC. Reading all the tips and advice on the forum is helping me get prepared and I really appreciate the kindness of contributors in sharing experiences. It will be great to share experiences with others here on the forum starting chemo around the same time as myself. I live in Belfast in case there is anyone else in this area who would like to get in contact.
Hope all goes well. x
sugar8

Thanks Jo_BCC
angel77

i start my chemo and herceptin on 11th of june .feeling nervous now x
Jo_BCC

Hi Sugar8

You may not have been able to see your posts immediately after posting, as all new users posts have to be approved by a moderator before going live on the forums, this is just to make sure we're not allowing spam posts through and that you are posting in the most appropriate room for what you want to know.

I trust you understand our reasons for this.

Kind regards,

Jo, Moderator

sugar8

Hiya All

Thought I had joined this forum but can't see my post. My appt with the oncologist is  on the 11th June so hope to start chemo soon after. Hope the wait isn't too long. For me the waiting is always the worse.

sugar8

Hiya All

Thought I had joined this forum but can't see my post. My appt with the oncologist is  on the 11th June so hope to start chemo soon after. Hope the wait isn't too long. For me the waiting is always the worse.

mummy2dolly

Good luck for tomorrow mummyraff and runner29, hope the PICC is sorted and the chemo runs smoothly.....
Mummyraff

Thanks runner29, i am very nervous at the minute but im sure i will be ok when i get to the unit as everyone i have met so far has been great! I hope they get your PICC sorted and your chemo goes ok, we can compare later!

runner29

Also good luck mummyraff for tomorrow, hope all goes as well as it can. I've gotta go in early before my chemo as had a PICC line fitted on Thursday and it's been giving me heart palpitations at times since so hopefully they can get to the bottom of that. Think it may need pulling out a little. Anyone else got a PICC? Just wondered if anyone else gets the same?
runner29

Went to see chemo nurse on Friday and found out will be starting chemo tomorrow, having docetaxel first (joy!) for 3 sessions then FEC for 3. Had to start taking the steroids today which was a little strange as felt like making the first step in treatment. Not looking forward to giving myself injections for the week after chemo either but I suppose at least treatment is starting. Mummy2dolly how are you holding up?
Willow1

rosie14

Hi mummy2dolly just popping over from the April board as I noticed you are living in UAE. I live in Cyprus so my main support is from this forum! Glad you have got your first chemo behind you hope you continue to progress well.
mummy2dolly

Thank you. I had a nap after I wrote the last post and have eaten a good sized tea since waking.....
A bit more about me, I am 41, married for 12 years, 2 girls, I had just started working in the library at the girls' school when I found the lump, I gave the job up when it came back positive as I had only just started and I didn't feel it was fair on them to be a person down after such a short time. Prior to that I'd been a sahm for 8 years, and prior to that I was an ICU nurse..... I was also in the middle of training for a marathon when I found the lump.... That also had to be sidelined but is just on the back burner.... Maybe I'll be able to tick that box next year....... I am a bit of an exercise junkie, I've found the last 7 weeks of post surgery not really being able to do much very frustrating......enough about me though........ Oh apart from I live in the UAE but I'm from the North West, hubby is from Northern Ireland.......
rach72

Well done mummy2dolly! Hope that you carry on feeling well 🙂 xxx

LollyMum

Just popping over from the March chemo board to wish huge luck and healing to those about to start chemo in June. 
I was absolutey terrified before I started. And to be honest before the 2nd FEC too. I asked for every anti-sick drug going, which I got.  I'm now had 4 chemos of 6. It get's better ladies.

xxx

mummy2dolly

All done! I was there about 4 hours, it took just as long to give all the pre meds as it did to give the chemo drugs! I feel fine, bit sleepy but think that's due to all the meds..... 1 down, 15 to go!! Hopefully if I don't get sick I'll get my last dose on the 7th November.......
Mummyraff

Good luck mummy2dolly, will be thinking of you!

runner29

Good luck mummy2dolly, first step on the journey to kicking butt!
mummy2dolly

I just got the call - heading in for first dose now....... Gulp.......
Mummyraff

Hi, I am going tomorrow (Thursday) for pre chemo meeting and start my chemo on Monday and like you im worried about it all but just want to get things started! The sooner I start the sooner i finish and all that!! From what i have read this site gives great support from people who are going through the same things.

runner29

I'm expecting to start this month, I have an appointment on Friday with chemo nurse, not sure what for thinking a it may be for blood test and assessment. Very worried but also want to get treatment going. Don't want to feel terrible all the time and also don't know how I'll cope losing my hair at 29 😞 but going to fight this whatever it takes. Sure we'll all get to know each other better and support each other over the next few weeks, hugs xxx
mummy2dolly

Hi there, I'm due to start chemo any day now, I'm just waiting to hear from the hospital. I live in the UAE and things aren't quite as well informed out here so I'm looking for some good online support. I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction 7 weeks ago. Lymph nodes were negative. I'm due to start 4 cycles of 3 weekly AC then 12 cycles of weekly Taxol. I'm keen to get started ASAP so it can be done by Christmas. I was offered cold capping but have declined as I don't want to be at the hospital for any longer than needs be.... I've got 2 girls aged 8 and 6 and they finish school at 2.15 and then have lots f after school activities so I need to be in and out as quick as possible.... I'm dreading this bit.....
rach72

Hi everyone.

I was supposed to be starting chemo in April but due to complications with my reconstruction this was delayed. It will definitely now be June and I have an appointment with onc for bloods etc on 2nd of June.

I'm also terrified but I'm sure that we'll all support each other.

Rach xxx

Jbf57

Hi

I start chemo on 11 June. Have very mixed emotions about it, but since finding out I have TNBC there's not much choice in the matter.  Good luck to everyone, lets help each other get through this part of our treatment!

Best wishes to you all

Janex

Mummyraff

Hi, I start my chemo on Monday 2nd June. I am expecting to get every side effect going so any i dont happen to get will be a bonus!

jinny2611

Im just as scared of the scans with having positive lymphs and 2 tumors i just keep thinking it spread all over just wish i coud stop been so negative but all i ever get is bad news!

mollyanna

Hi Jinny, I have had my chemo but can understand the terror. On the first day I couldn't get out of the toilet and cried like a baby ( I am 67 ! )Rang the hospital and they were so kind, I managed to get there and I can honestly say it was nothing like I had expected.

They explain everything as you go along, and it was over before I knew it, tea and biscuits delivered by hospital volunteers helped.Take along a friend and/or a book ,magazine or just sit back close your eyes and imagine it killing any bad cells.

When you get back home rest and be kind to yourself.

Any problems ring them and they will have the support you need.

jinny2611

Just waiting to hear from chemo nurse for date absoultey terrifeid and waiting for scans anyone else be going through chemo this month?