Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting chemo on 28th oct.

107 REPLIES 107
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: starting chemo on 28th oct.

Well last one done and very releived not looking forward to SE's but hay last time quite nice Not having to make another appt. Short and sweet as tiredness is kicking in already.
Shell zzzz

dancing_girl

Well done with getting to the last chemo Shirley. Just think as the SEs subside you will know it is for the last time - hooray.

Hope your blood is OK for your last one tomorrow, Shell. Shame the rads had to be replanned too.

My fifth one should have been today, but delayed a week as I had my appendix removed on Saturday. I'm hoping for a smooth run now. I've had a total of 7 weeks delay.

Good luck all. Stella xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Shirley
Unfortunatly my bloods were too low for the first time ... Typical ! So got delayed had more bloods done today so hopefully tommorrow will definatly be my last one had to re plan some of the rads though with getting delayed but still starting then on the 8th march.

Shell x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Shell
Yes finally had my last chemo thought i would feel some sort of emotion but nothing thought i might even cry but no. Have been feeling pretty crap with all the usual side effects which seem to be worse this time and on top of everything i have started with a cold. Hope your last one went as well as can be expected we now have the joy of rads to look forward to but as yet i have had no news on planning etc.

Rach Well done on finishing your last and i hope you are feeling ok/

Take care girls we are well on the way and the worst is over so they say.

Shirley

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Shirley - have you had your last one yet not sure what day your on ! If yes - well done!
And well done rach for getting to your last one.

Mine is in the morning getting nervous now !
Shell x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Yep we are nearly there ! Getting quite nervous about last one not sure why ? Ive received all my dates for radio through the post start rads 3 weeks after last Chemo having it for 6 weeks but alternating 3 sessions one week then 2 sessions the next and having a booster week at the end with 2 sessions got my initial consultation and tattoos 24th feb. Probly go back to work too as I don't do very many hours.
Haven't been told about tamoxifen yet. Starting to feel like it's coming to an end now at last ! Just want my hair back !
Shell x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all
shirley , i had final chemo on 20th jan and my appointment for tattoo's scan etc for radiotherapy is 16th feb , so you start rads about 5 weeks after last chemo...
i had 6fec and 3tax. im on day 20 after 3rd tax and cant go upstairs without getting cramp in my legs . its like my legs have gone rusty, has anyone else got this?
still waiting for taste to come back it came back day11 last time .
rach xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Girls
Good luck to everyone having last chemo this week I cant wait for it to be over but am feeling sick with nerves I get more worked up at each one and have not slept now for over a week.
Had a really bad week last week had dark horrible thoughts all week am sure thats why i couldnt sleep.
Does any one know when we will find out about when we will have our rads planning and does anyone know if you start herceptin about the same time as rads.
Shelly i was prescribed Lansoprazole for heartburn and it has worked very well for me and agree with you about the taste i cant stand chocolate but am eating lots of ice cream and ice lollies . Thought i would lose weight but like most it keeps creeping up.

Keep smiling ladies we are nearly there

Shirley xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Yes I think out if all the SE's the taste is the worst ! Things you take for granted like tea chocolate and sweet things taste awful I'm having a need for chilli at the moment ! Anything savoury. Re heart burn : I take gaviscon just a swig before bed helps but people have said the gaviscon strawberry tablets are good. Stella like you I've discovered ice cream well sorbet really it's quite refreshing.

Keep your wigs on in this wind !
Shell x

dancing_girl

Hi girls.

Shelly, Glad it wasn't as bad as number 4. Hope you're feeling a bit better and your mouth is improving. I've just discovered iced lollies. I got a pack of frozen children's ice lollies - so they are fairly small - and sucking one of those gives relief for a little while.
Can you get something from your GP for the heartburn?

Hope everyone is OK. Stella xx

shellymae

Hi all, chemo went ahead all ok this time, thankfully the Lorazepam helped on the day, but didn't really get out of bed much day 4-7, awful taste, smell, heartburn (which I've also had every cycle - boo!!)and constipation again, but all not as bad as no. 4 was. Not sure if that was anything to do with having an extra week off. Also have put on a bit of weight, I get a constant feeling of needing to eat to stop the horrible taste, gonna be the size of a house soon lol.

Hope your all ok. Speak soon xxx

dancing_girl

Hi All,

Shell, I sympathise with the weight loss - I know many will be envious, but it's better not to be losing weight. Like you I lost half a stone on each FEC in the first week, but did manage to put most of it back each time. I've lost 10pounds with first TAX - combination of poor appetite and the runs. Think it's settling now so will try to build up again. It's strange how it can become so difficult to eat and drink.

Good luck with all the various and unpleasant SEs everyone. Stella xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi shelly i took lorazepam for same reasons and it did help . good luck with next one. rach xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Shelly - sorry to hear you got delayed hope it went ok today and your not too sick

Hi Stella - I also get somekind of reflux but not acid it's quite strange just a lump like I have bread stuck in my throat ! - weird but it's affecting my eating lost half a stone now. hope your keeping those TAX SE's away
Shell x

dancing_girl

Hi all, just had first TAX after (3 Fec) yesterday. Certainly no constipation. maybe TMI, but having been daily as normal, I think I passed about two weeks worth this morning. Must have been the effect of TAX. Also acid reflux problem stared within an hour of finishing TAX, so off to docs for lansoprazole, before the digestion SEs kick in.

Sorry you've had a rough time, Shelly. Hope everything is improving and good luck with the chemo today.

Stella xx

shellymae

hi all, hope your all doing ok, my no. 5 didn't go ahead last week, the night before my bloods I was on the toilet all night feeling like i needed to wee when I'd only just been, then got blood in my urine, so when I went in for bloods they said it couldn't go ahead and gave me antibiotics. Also my onc has prescribed Lorazepam for me to take the morning of my chemo tomorrow, as I start to feel sick even before I get there now, lets hope it helps!!!

I have also had to take lactulose, seems to affect me up to about day 6-8, as my taste is so bad I think what I'm eating has quite a bit of affect, can only eat unhealthy things!!

Take care all and hopefully I'll have good news about se's next time I post!!

Shelly xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Latest update have finally been feeling much better thanks for all your tips. Will have to make sure i take something everyday to keep me going.
Thanks Shirley xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi sorry to butt in but have you tried dried apricots it certainly got mine moving.
Take care all
kaz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello
Have you tried porridge and fruit for breakfast?
I have had no probs at all with bowels and eat a lot of fruit and veg and whole grains. I know others with probs have found fruit smoothies and traditional porridge made with jumbo oats and milk/water with jam or fruit have solved the problem.... worth a try?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi shirley
Sorry to hear your feeling rough, constipation does get you down i had it on the 1st -3rd chemo but seem a bit better now Senna was a bit rough for me so i ha lactulose but apparently that just softens it whereas Movicol draws it down .....lovely talk! but it did seem to work for me i took it just before i went to bed and i was on the move by the morning if all else fails my D.Nurse gave me a mini enema which are not as bad as they used to be but that worked too although a little uncomfortable. I had no. 5 yesterday and the light is definatly shining now!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Girls
Not posted for a while as i have been feeling rough again I have had major problems with piles and constipation. Just had FEC 5 and onc altered all my anti sickness drugs and for the first time i havent been sick. I am still suffering badly with constipation no matter what i take. I have been taking movicol, senna.lactulose and dulcalose over the last 4 days and nothing works. (sorry for the toilet talk)it is really getting me down as apart from that i would be feeling ok. Still not sleeping good only managing a few hours each night.
Anyway enough of me how are you all > Hope FEC 5 went well for you all and the SE s are not too bad. Only 1 left to go that light at the end of the tunnel is shinning brightly.
Take care girls and lets keep smiling we are nearly there the joy of rads to look forward to.

Shirley xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi shel
Hope your chemo goes well for tommorrow- if I've got your day right your the day before me
I hope you got better after your last post I was a bit longer this time too about day 10 before I could get out of bed ! But well it's no 5 tommorrow then only 1 to go ... Yipee ! There is a light ! Not looking forward to my bloods tommorrow as it was awful last time but I've been on the water all day !
Take care and hope the SE's are kinder to you this time !

Shell x

shellymae

Hi all,

Shirley I'm so sorry for your loss and hope life brings some good things your way.

Shell it's day 8 after no. 4 and still feel awful, really struggling to cope with it at the mo, just don't know how I'm going to do another two!! I'm going to try and speak to my onc and see if anything can be done.

Best wishes all and lets hope 2011 starts getting better!!

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi shirley,
Glad you Pneumonia sounds like its on its way out - really sorry to hear about your OH,s sister life can be cruel sometimes ! hope your all coping well.
Still feel quite well after TAC 4 keep waiting for the morning when i can't get out of bed but even the nurse was surprised when i was up for my injection ! hope the last 2 are as good.
Shell x

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy New Year to you all.
Hi ladies FEC 4 went ahead as oc said that the pneumonia was on its way out but have been really sick worse than last time. He changed my anti sickness drugs and i only had to have one injection this time but still have felt horrible.Hope i am now starting to feel better.
This year has started really rubbish for us as oh sister died suddenly over xmas so we have had to help plan a funeral my poor oh doesnt know whether he is coming or going.
I really hope this year gets better for all of us and that light at the end of the tunnel starts to shine brightly.
Thanks for your comments sue and hope to see you soon.
Shell hope your keeping well and positive thoughts to everyone.
Shirley xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy new year to all !
Can't actually beleive I'm up out of bed think # 4 yesterday has been a bit better hope yours is the same shelly ? then I did gave a 5 week gap which is good. Don't seen to feel as Sick but it's early days !

Shirley - hope you feel better soon ! X

Suze- thanks for your positive thoughts we will get there soon even discussing my rads treatment with my ONC yesterday made me feel better !

Shell x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
sorry to but in (from the embarking on an adventure thread and am work colleague of Roytonian) but wanted to say well done on getting this far as most of you seem to be about halfway through chemo now.
Halfway is quite a landmark in treatment and people view it differently as in have the same to do all over again or only another 3 and I'm done!! Either way just wanted to wish you luck...I finished chemo 16th Sept and since gone onto Tamoxifen and had 38 rads (had my last rads today) so I have now finished active treatment and just wanted to spur you ladies on and say that there is an end to it all and keep going because soon you will be at this stage too.
Wishing you a very happy new year with lots of good health and positivity for 2011
Love Suze xx

Keep well Shirley and see you in the weeek hugs hun xx

shellymae

Oh Shirley I'm so sorry to hear you've been so ill. Feel so bad for moaning now. Really hope that your chemo isn't delayed too much and that your not too ill to enjoy Christmas. Keep positive! x

Shell, I like what someone else said, that's a good way of looking at it. I feel more positive about it now as I feel well but when I wasn't another 3 just seemed too much to cope with. I'll boo with you - great new years eve we're gonna have hey!!

Lets hope x4 will be better for all of us!!

Shelly xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls
Sorry i havent posted for a while. I have had a torrid time and have only just come out of hospital. I have been ill since Fec 3 and slowly went down hill and ended up with pneumonia. I have never felt as ill in all my life. My Fec 4 has had to be postponed till after the new year and it should have been this Thursday. They say that the pneumonia can take upto 6-8 weeks for me to recover. I am really struggling to breathe and can only walk a few steps at a time i am really worried about how the delay in my chemo will affect me has anyone else experienced this as it is looking like i might be delayed for a couple of months.
I hope you are all ok and that you manage to have a lovely Christmas. Keep in touch Love Shirley x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Hi Shelly completely agree 3rd one was the worst yet very emotional and sick, but as someone else said on another subject: 3rd is worst, 4th is passed half way, 5th is nearly there and 6th is just the last one ! I'm also looking forward to a sick free xmas but not the new year - i've had a long break this time it will be 5 weeks ! so hope fully the SE's after TAC4 won't be as bad this time.We are at the same stage now that i have delayed- my next one is 31 Dec...boo!

Shell x

shellymae

Hi All, not been on for a while, seems like the 3rd cycle has been bad for us all, have felt quite low and not quite sure how I was going to get through another 3 cycles. Shirley it seems like the fec is affecting us the same, the taste and the nausea this time has been horrendous, I just wanted to cry all the time. I now feel well, and finally got a wig last week and am having it trimmed tomorrow. Now got Christmas to look forward to feeling well and going to try and not think about 4th fec on 30th Dec.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!

Shelly x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Not been on for a few days catching up on Xmas !
Stella - your very brave doing your own injections do you have to pre mix yours I think I would get confused the district nurse pops round for 7 days after to do mine not sure if I could do my own !

LIF / shirley you are right this one has definatly been the hardest to deal with, it's taken me a lot longer to get over and the nausea has been longer my taste gets worse every time but gradually gets better in my 'well' weeks.

Your all going to be ahead of me now that I have put myself back 2 weeks but worth it for Xmas ! Could not of travelled up north a week after chemo ! My TAC 4 is new years eve !

Keep warm
Shell x

dancing_girl

Hi ladies,

Shirley, sorry to hear you have been so sick. I hope things are improving a bit (a lot would be better!)Hope the shopping goes well.

You're both right - it does help to know others are going through things at the same time.

LiF, I've felt the dazed and weird feeling each time. I find it the hardest to deal with really. I kind of feel OKish relaxing and find it easier to do practical things or go for a walk - albeit slowly. I just find it really hard to sit up and concentrate on things. Usually start picking up the second weekend. Good luck going to work.

Best wishes to all. Stella

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Shirley you poor girl...sounds like you have had a rough time! Are you getting Emend for this sickness? I have found this one hard...felt dazed and weird but feeling a lot better and will go in to work tomorrow for a bit.
headaches come n go but not sure if chem related or not! I think about all you lot on the same day too...helps to know there are others in a funny sort of way...take care and try and get something sorted for the next one...you mustnt feel so bad! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Stella and LIF
Just about getting over FEC3. This has been the worst have been sick every day and getting headaches. Starting to feel a bit better now and hoping to do some Xmas shopping tomoz. Didnt get to see the consultant as he was on holiday and there was a problem with my bloods so will have to ask him about the herceptin next time.
Hoping you are all ok thought about you on Thursday LIF it is somehow a comfort knowing that someone else is going through it the same time as me ( that probably sounds weird when i know there are lots of us going through this)
Positive thoughts to everyone

Shirleyx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well it went ok....was feeling low with pmt as well as pre chemo nerves so all round ok now. bloomin tired but got some herbal stuff for good nights sleep and it seems to work. Think I might be getting a cold due to bit of a sore throat and guilty looking snivelling child....
No bad SEs just yucky mouth for 2 days and a bit of nausea. Hope everyone here is ok and chugging onwards alright xx

dancing_girl

Hi Ladies,

How did FEC3 go LiF? and your chemo Shirley? I'm just about able to concentrate on e-mails today, but it's an effort - easier to do potter slowly with rests. Shall have a short walk later. Injections days 5 -9 to boost wbc to look forward to. OH is going to administer them. Hope you're not suffering too much.
Stella

dancing_girl

Hi Ladies,

I'm not having Herceptin, but TAX and Herceptin don't sound an enticing proposition for 23rd, LiF. Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight.

I've only seen my onc once - before the first chemo. I saw an underling the second time - who told me that as my wbc low I should return the following week, but they obviously consulted the onc, who said I was to come back on chemo day and if blood OK to go ahead. He didn't want to see me this time - apparently standard practice at my hosp for chemo 3.
So have still to find out about TAX arrangements.

Hope all goes well tomorrow with Chemos, LiF and Shirley. Will be thinking of you both while I'm waiting for the next dose of gunk.

Stella.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi LIF
You just got me thinking- I have to have herceptin too but thought i would have it after chemo and rads didnt know you could have it at the same time as chemo. I will see if consultant mentions it to me tomoz.
I too am dreading tomoz didnt sleep much last night and have felt sick all day . Will be thinking of you tomoz -good luck and keep strong x

Guest user
Not applicable

I don't know where the energy comes from either...but keeping going must be good as my bloods were really good yesterday ready for FEC 3 tomorrow...the onc said whatever it was I was doing...keep doing it!
Had terriffic wobbly at 2am though as really do not want to go tomorrow.... and was told yesterday I have to be in the chemo unit for at least 6 hours on 23rd Dec as having first TAX and Herceptin all together and need to be observed for at least 6 hours...I nearly burst into tears as even though i usually hate Christmas and all its jazz I wanted this year to be a nice one and its going to be crap....

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,
LIF - i have no idea where you get your energy from must be all that fresh air!

Shell - I feel quite similar woozy head,heartburn and snacking i fell hungry but can't eat and have zero energy only on day 6 after TAC 3 so nearly there.

Shirley - Good luck for tomorrow half way there now.

Keep warm shell x

dancing_girl

Hope you can manage to get your line flushed, Shirley,

Regarding headwear, I bought two pella hats from Suburban Turban - they sell them as sleepwear, but I wear them all the time in the house, to keep fit (on good weeks), to the shops plus a further hat if it's gold. They feel very secure, unlike my wig which fels as if it could slip with very little provocation. my frien knitted me a lovely soft, but lightwieght hat I wera at night - 'cos it's blimmimg cold and our bedroom is the coldest room in the house.
Don't overdo on your good days Shell - but enjoy them.

Good luck all.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies
Getting ready for chemo on Thurs and just been told that the district nurse mught not make it tomoz to flush my line and take blood due to the snow.A bit worried as i dont want my chemo to be delayed so i will walk to the hospital if i have to but then worried about what happens to my 7 daily injections.
LIF-you put me to shame i dont know were you get your energy from. Good luck with your chemo and i hope the side effects are kind to you.
Shelly- you have got a busy week but it sounds fun make sure you rest when you can. Congratulations on your wedding for next year you have got something fantastic to look forward to that will keep you going and strong on the bad days.I will check that web site for the scalves thanks.
Good luck to all you ladies having chemo soon . Hopefully half way there tomoz the tunnel is getting brighter.
Lots of love Shirley x

shellymae

Shirley, forgot to say, I also had difficulty with the scarves and felt it was falling off when out but I ordered a buff and a jersey head scarf from randrconfidence.co.uk and I love them, keep my head so warm. Up to yesterday I hadn't found I wig I liked, but have one on order now which hopefully will be in next week. I didn't think I'd wear a wig but I'm getting married next may so think I need to get one for then just in case! xxx

shellymae

Hi all, hope your all ok. I'm back to normal now, I have the woozy head too for about 9 days and it seems a pattern now with the heartburn from day 2 - 6, I can't really eat meals in that time so lots of snacking on all the wrong things, but that does seem to keep me going. You all sound so busy, I haven't been back to work at all, haven't the time, my family and friends always seem to be taking me somewhere shopping, gonna end up skint by the end of my treatment. Got a very busy week next week though, ONC appt tues, bloods and flush wed, plus my sons christmas play and his birthday party after school, my daughters christmas play thurs at 10am, chemo at 11.30, friday is my sons birthday and having friends round in the evening, sat REST, sunday it's my fiance's birthday and having all the family round. Not sure quite how I'm gonna manage it all but I'm gonna try!!

Take care all xxx

dancing_girl

Hi LiF It must be cold sorting the sheep out in this weather - brrrr.
You've been really busy. I've walked nearly every day and went to dancing practice on Saturday, but not achieved anything like as much as you. Been at work today.
I usually feel woozy headed for 9/10 days - like you say - can't think straight; no appetite for a week, not too bad really.
Hope our blood cells are OK tomorrow, so we can get a bit further along the rocky road.

Good luck all.

Stella

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Stella and everyone....hope ur all ok and not feeling too down nor too cold!
Bloomin cold here as we have snow and ice due to being high up (1000ft)
looking like more on its way too!
I don't really have any bad side effects apart from woozy drunk feeling for about 5 days and a bit of indigestion....well havent for last 2 anyway! The woozy head is what I don't like as I cannot make snap decisions which I have to sometimes as I run a business!!! Still during this past 2 weeks I've been to France with my little boy, worked hard with the wool, cleaned the house furiously, cooked for the world, walked the legs off the dogs, sorted out the sheep and driven miles coz I will not give in to this!....you may gather from this I am an obstinate so n so!! Hope fully my bloods will come back ok tomorrow and everything can go ahead on Thursday, I certainly feel full of energy so hope blood cells feel the same way!
I must admit to being a non Christmas card sending person...(hangs head in shame) because I always used to forget vital people and upset someone so chose not to send any at all outside distant family.
So to those of us who are having treatment this week....lets go and get it over with...halfway there!!! xxx

dancing_girl

Hi ladies,

Hope FEC3 went well for you Kulakatz. How was the PICC line?

Shell - Hope your chemo went OK on Friday - I guess you've not been up to being online since. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Are you enjoying the good days before FEC3 LiF? I've got all my Christmas cards done in my extra few days.

Hope no-one in Scotland and the North East is prevented from getting to their appointments.

Best wishes to all. Stella

Guest user
Not applicable

What a lovely group you have! So supportive and helpful information for each other.

Am grateful for some of your posts which have helped me along in my journey too. Take care. Kulakatz.x (about to have FEC x 3 through a picc tomorrow for the first time).

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,
Bells - i was told the same about staying away from 'Live' yoghurt but as it happens i don't like it any way ! so that was easy, but everyones different i suppose i don't want to wrap myself up in cotton wool but you also have to be careful our bodies just arn't the same at the moment on the inside. I still change the cat litter tray and have to pick up after the dog! but as long as your careful
LIF i love sheep!... we have field next to our garden with sheep in and i love watching them, got in once when one fell over and had to pick it up it couldn't get back up ....jeese their heavy ! love it in the spring when we get to watch the lambs being born they are so cute! when there tails spin round when they feed!
My favourite time of year Spring - it will be next year cause thats when all my treatment will be over!
LIF/Stella i put some info on the ....Getting ready to Begin Thread about TAC/TAX hope it helps.

Shrley -thanks for comment about the kids - it does make you feel normal when you shout at them for fighting !

Mal - Its good to hear from experience! it is lovely group of brave ladies here and very supportive!
Shell x