starting radiothereaphy dec

Hi I am starting radiotheraphy in Dec how should i be preparping myself, for this stage of my treatment, like my masectomy scar should i apply cream to that area reading mixed reviews about aqeaous cream and E45

I’m nearly ready to start, and leaving well alone. Too much meddling about isn’t always a good thing, well for me it isn’t.

Hi michellem,

While you waiting for replies I thought it might be helpful to attach a link to BCC’s publication on Radiotherapy:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/radiotherapy-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc26

Please do also give the BCC Helpline a call if it would help to have further information and/or support Tel. 0808 800 6000 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

With best wishes,
Anna, BCC Facilitator

Hi hope you get some replies soon i shall watch this tread with interest . I finish my chemo on 27 oct (hopefully unless any delays) so i am hoping i will be having radio in dec .Not sure how long u wait inbetween people keep saying three weeks but is that the three normal weeks you have after chemo or three plus . Hope you get your answers soon xx

I think it is different if you have chemo before radio therapy because your body is still recovering from that. I just had rads. I decided to try and get my skin in good condition before it started. and I dont suppose it matters what you use for that. Bio oil,moisturisers etc. But leave aqueous cream alone. I moisturised the whole area under the armpit and accross to the other breast, paying special attention to the bit in the fold under your breast. I stopped wearing wired bras so that the skin was not being worn away before treatment started.

radiotherapy is every day and not necesserily at good times, so you need to get your life organised and get any transport and support systems in place. If the daily appointment and travelling is going to take say two hours out of your day, what are you going to give up. Trying to fit it all in as usual is not going to work, you will wear yourself out and then the side effects will be worse.

Lots of discussion what to use to help the skin not break. I hated aloe vera, did nothing for me. But some love it. I used emu oil, but then I am wierd. But my skin did not break. My breast got very very hot after treatment had finished but i just hung my neck buddy down on it and it really helped.

Tiredness, well they said i should not have a problem, but two weeks after it finnished I hit a brick wall and suddenly had to spend long periods in bed, I was gobsmacked cos i thought i was sailing through it. i am ok now though it did not last long. But i suppose it is still early days

Hello I will follow this link too as I to am starting in dec. Good luck to us all xxx

I read somewhere to get the skin well moisturised before you start, because skin is made up of loads of layers and you want all of it in good shape, not just the top layer. I don’t think it matters much what you use pre-radiotherapy - use your favourite or whatever works for you. As OAL said, there was a mixture of experiences DURING rads… most units recommend Acqueous Cream - there’s a whole thread about that, and about how it’s shown to thin skin on people with excema (and therefore, presumably, us too). My unit said I could use anything that was OK for babies - I had bought an Arbonne moisturiser because it FELT coolingi when I tried it. As it had the picture of a baby on it, they said it was OK! I liked the Aloe Vera Gel (99% pure) straight after treatment, it cooled it down. I used the Arbonne morning and night other times. My skin didn’t break at all, and I had no problems at all.

The area you need to “prepare” depends on what you have had/are having done. I had a mastectomy and node clearance. I prepared the “boob” area, but never thought to prepare the armpit, or up the neck on that side - both of which were radiated…

Fatigue is common after rads finish… I was told it was because the good cells were killed along with the bad, and the body was putting its energy into repairing the good cells. I have been very lucky - I was still tired from chemo and didn’t notice any difference after the rads! Just been getting stronger and stronger… nearly 6 weeks post rads now and I’m going back to work next week after nearly 8 months off! Hope all goes well for you…Jane

Hi,
I am also starting radio in Dec for 3 weeks, still recovering from my mx with lymph node clearance 7 weeks ago and still cant get my arm above my head which apparently I will need to be able to do otherwise they wont be able to do the radiotheraphy. Will follow this thread. I’ve not been using anything on the scar tissue just showering as per normal I did get blisters from the compression bandage they put on me in hospital to bring the swelling down and I have been putting aloe vera gel straight from my plant split a leaf down the middle and push out the gel I think its pretty good and you know there is nothing nasty in it. Dreading the feeling hot thing, bad enough with the hot flushes I’m still on herceptin and recently added tamoxifen.

Love and light
Sarahlousie xxxx

I completed my course of Rads in August, what I can recommend is that you moisturise your skin as much as you possibly can before hand, then when they give you the aqueous cream try to use it at least 3 times a day, also let the air get to your skin as much as you can too.
Rad can make you tired, so listen to your body and rest when you need too.
I worked all the way through my treatment, I had just a day and a half off for my operation, but that’s because we have our own business, but I did go home early when I neeeded to and still do, yes I got tired and very emotional, so basicaly on the worst days would flop onto the sofa when I got home and let himself do the dinner etc.

Hi Everyone ,im starting my rads on nov 21 but will still use the dec thread as i wont finish till dec 16th.Thats all being well with my bloods on thur for my last chemo ,otherwise i will be a week later .Fingers crossed .Ive been told my unit give you aqueous cream so started putting E45 on already to moisturise it xx

Hi Lisha
I was told the same re aquis cream.
I start my rads on 8th dec for 4 weeks so that’s Christmas a bit hampered but at least the chemo out of the way.
I hope we all sale through this with none or very little SE.
Good luck xx

I start on 1st December for 3 weeks so will be finished by Christmas. Have got a large pot of aqueous cream from hospital pharmacy. Was told not to use boots brand (tesco and superdrug are fine). Have to moisturise the area twice a day at least a week before. Luckily after axillary clearance 5 weeks ago I am able to get into the right position for treatment, although having been left with cording it is a bit uncomfortable.

xx

Hello
I’m starting rads on November 29th and finish on 23rd.December.
Have been told to use aqueous cream only before and during rads so have requested large pot from GP on prescription as they are free during treatment. I have been told that due to my surgery scar position and skin type I will have problems with my skin so am expecting a hot, sore boob for Christmas this year!

Hi
I have an appointment on Wednesday regarding RADS, I am thinking that the treatment will start pretty much straight away, hope so anyway to zap any gremlins that are left! so I think I will be going through this process with you in December hope you don’t mind me joining this thread

Hi everyone, just one more week and im starting mine but i hope you dont mind if i stay with this thread as i have four weeks so will still be having them tilk dec 16th xx

Hi Michells

I used a rose cream (from a health food shop) on my scar and aqueous cream all over the breast.
When l started Radiotherapy I used Blue Tansy aromatherapy oil mixed in with the aqueous cream and I had virtually no problems at all.
You do hear some horror stories but I’m happy to say my skin was all healed in just over two weeks after treatment ended.
The aqueous cream will moisturise but the B/T oil will help it heal quickly.
I would say it’s most important to use this whilst you are having the course of treatment, and not just aterwards.
Good luck xx

Hi to all you girls about to start with RADS I had 5 weeks of RADS which started 6 weeks after my second op so still had lots of scar tissue but had been using Bio Oil and as firm a massage as I could bear before the RADS, during I stuck to the Aqueous cream and kept it in the fridge pure bliss on a hot sore boob. The last two weeks of treatment I went braless as was just too uncomfortable with; had last treatment on a friday and although skin was red wasn’t blistered or broken, then woke up on monday moring to the boob from hell…advise from BCN was to try to keep it dry & uncovered, good job hubby didn’t mind me sitting around in evenings with scabby boobs on show LOL! About a week after end of RAD was healing so back into sports bra then onto underwired after about 10 days. Suddenly realised about 12 days after end of treatment that I didn’t feel so tired and now it has been 11 weeks post op and 5 weeks since end of RADS and apart from tiny biy of scar tissue (keep massaging) and odd shooting pain feel almost like normal, have check up with ONC on 25/11 but hopefully will be signed off until next mammogram (could be 3, 6 or 12 months. I’m 51 and was otherwise fit & health before all this kicked off in April, so to all you newbies hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel. XX

i too srart Rads end dec hpofully ,last TAX-C 23rd Nov.From the posts above looks like the moisture treatment should start now, having Seroma drained almost weekly since Aug,hope it has dried up by then.Alredy this thread has come up with so many tips already.Find BCC forums so informative and helpfull Thank you BCC.
Love and Light xxMavis

Thank you Karlofkat, maybe it won’t be so bad after all. I’ve got a lovely picture in my head of you proudly sporting yukky boob!

I’m also starting radiotherapy about the same time for 3 weeks so will also be watching this thread avidly. The comment about having boobs out on show really made me laugh although sure it wasn’t funny at the time.
Karlofkat, you mentioned bio oil - how soon after your surgery did you start using that? I’m 4 weeks postop and have been moisturising whist doing anit-lymphoedea massage and massaging chest to soften boob ( had lat dorsi flap reconstruction at same time) but have been avoiding scars so far. Wondering if I should start on the scars now too!