Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting rads in jan

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: starting rads in jan

Hi sarahl
Sorry to hear you are suffering too. Do you think you need to see the dressings nurse to be on the safe side? When I went last week I thought they would say all was well, but dressings were forthcoming straight away. I was told to take paracetemol to help with sorenesss. The worst bit is the itchiness. Have been advised to take piriton if it gets too bad but I don't want to take loads of meds. Oddly enough the itchiness seems to happen round about mid afternoon and early evening then it's ok. Go figure!

I had a pj weekend last weekend. Today I dressed and visited a next door neighbour for a couple of hours. Tomorrow I shall laze about. Hope you have a better nights sleep tonight

Xxxxx Sarah

sarahlousie

Hi ladies,

So kept waking up last night in the end got up and stayed on the sofa watching tv, eventually went off too sleep, my scar and skin is now red and sore and hurts, just managed to drag myself off the sofa been there all day think the rads fatigue has finally caught up with me and is draining me going to plonk myself back on the sofa in a minute as feel a bit queezy.

Hi Sarah,

They put a rubbery thing on me I thought it was for protection, never asked what it was for will ask on monday, sending you lots of cyber hugs xxx

love and light to all
sarahlousie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Two more zaps ( boosts) to go. I now have paraffin gauze over my gel. Very fragrant. OH has now been roped in to help me with my dressings as I have a Heath Robinson type construction of bandages to help keep dressings attached without using tape on my skin. Quite sore now. Glad the dressings nurse is on hand to keep an eye on me. Well until Tuesday anyway. She has warned me it might get worse before it gets better and not to worry about it too much. I think it's because I had a rubbery thing put on during treatment which increases the intensity of the rads. I am not unusual apparently.

Hope my fellow zappees are doing well.

X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Two more zaps ( boosts) to go. I now have paraffin gauze over my gel. Very fragrant. OH has now been roped in to help me with my dressings as I have a Heath Robinson type construction of bandages to help keep dressings attached without using tape on my skin. Quite sore now. Glad the dressings nurse is on hand to keep an eye on me. Well until Tuesday anyway. She has warned me it might get worse before it gets better and not to worry about it too much. I think it's because I had a rubbery thing put on during treatment which increases the intensity of the rads. I am not unusual apparently.

Hope my fellow zappees are doing well.

X Sarah

Fulham

Hi there, finished 15 days rads just over a week ago, my skin is still red but getting less by the day. Wear cotton next to your skin - helps keep you cool and avoid sweating , if you can get away with it dont wear a bra especially when you go to hospital - easier to get undressed. Use Aqueous cream to wash and either that or E45 cream 3 times a day, Im still using it and it helps. The only other effects Im getting are slight pains in breast but not that often.

Take care

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi gordok1

Don't put cream on too thick and make sure it is properly absorbed into your skin. My nurse told me that if you allow a build up of cream then rads can be compromised. Use aqueous cream unless you have cleared other types of cream with the rads dude.

If your skin starts to turn a bit red alert the dressings nurse straight away. I am having a fantastic gel and dressings after every session now.

Go to rads sessions with clothes that aren't fiddley. I wear slip on tops. I don't bother with my softie.

I'm sure you will be fine.

X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all

Was ment to start RT on 10th jan, but have infection on my boob was put on anti bio for 14 days, so take 12 tablets a day. had another app on 17th jan , told my boob was still infected and to come back next tuesday, i work my self up about having RT and what it might do to me, feel really stressed. But like the chemo will
get through it.

best wishes yvonne

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies, I am starting my rads on monday, 3 wks and 3 booster treatments. Iv had a 13wk delay due to a waiting list. I am happy that it is finally happening. Iv already started applyin cream(don't know if that will help me?)any tips would be great. Thank u x

sarahlousie

Hi Sarah,

Of course your disappointed you thought you were finished with the rads, you go ahead and blubber, let it all out, I would be exactly the same, but like you said it must be having a very positive effect which is why they want you to have extra sessions, I was supposed to see my onc on Monday but after waiting nearly an hour after my rads session a nurse came along and informed me that my onc was off sick, I was disappointed not only because I had written a concise list of questions I needed to ask him but also that I had been kept waiting that long and nows he's on holiday for a week so wont get to speak to him for at least the next week and a half urghhhh....

I've got 5 sessions left unless they decide I need more and looking forward to finishing this, its the final hurdle sarah and the finishing line is within sight, keep on keeping on.
sending you lots of love and light
sarah xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

So, I thought tomorrow was to be my last zap and then I could have a bit of a break. No! Saw rads onc and he is giving me three boosts. I know the positive side is that I will see the dressings nurse for longer and that the treatment is having an effect otherwise he wouldn't be giving me extra. Why is it then that I blubber when he told me about the extra sessions, blubber in planning,and after planning too! I suppose it was the expectation of finishing what has seemed like a marathon, with all sorts of extra appts to attend as well as rads. Having a naff day. Although oh took me out for lunch. The food was really nice but my appetite has gone. I then went to see a friend which was lovely. Trying to see the bright side .......
X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

I had a ct scan too it's part of the planning process. It's such a highly scientific area as everything is calculated on an individual basis. That's why there is a bit of a wait between planning and start of treatment.

X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, due to have a ct scan on Thursday as oncologist wants to be sure where my heart is. Heart problems in my family so I guess they do not want to risk any damage to it. Due for planing for radiotherapy next then will start soon, I would think sometime this month. Bit apprehensive re all the radiation as that in its self is supposed to cause cancer. Guess we just have to go with the flow. Best wishes to you all.
Love Val x

sarahlousie

Hi darbydarbs,
I did ask my onc if I could use aloe vera I use the 99.9% bottle of aloe vera and smear an extremely generous amount all over the affected area twice a day so far (finish next wed) I am a little sore and red on the affected area but not overly so and the coolness of the aloe juice really helps. As far as tamoxifen is concerned I was thrown into early menopause (age 43) during chemo round no 3 and started on Tami in Oct and have not had a period since about april/may last year, suffering with the hot flushes which wakes me up during the night. Sorry still have not found anything natural that will help with the flushes, everything seems to either affect tamoxifen effectivenesss or adds to the estrogen factor.

Hope this helps
sending love and light
sarahlousie xxx

sarahlousie

posted twice whoops!!

Darbydarbs

Hi,

I started rads on Dec 29th and it's only now Jan 17th that my breast feels and looks like I have been sunbathing all day without my factor 50! I use E45 cream would anyone recommend anything else to cool the area down please.
Other than that I feel fine and even cycled a round trip of 22 miles to have treatment one day, keeping up with my cycling passion helps.

I have been taking tamoxifen since the beginning of Dec 11 and apart from some night hot flushes the first week I feel fine, i did have my period at the correct time in Dec but its a no show so far this month, has anyone else found they have stopped so soon after starting to take the tablets.

Keep well, we are here for a good time not a long time and it's to a dress rehearsal so have fun!!

Darbs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

The shooting pains sound like your wound healing as the nerves are reconnecting. So it could be a good thing. If you are red summon the dressings nurse as it is good to nip these things in the bud

X Sarah

sarahlousie

Hi Rads ladies,

Sarah - Sorry too hear your still sore but thankfully the lovely nurse is looking after you, I'm not too bad it is looking red and very slightly swollen I keep getting weird kind of shooting pain where my mx scar is, although not sure if thats me being a bit paranoid!!! Feeling ok today went shopping after my session a bit of retail therapy always helps :0). Last saturday was a bit strange I slept all day on and off and I didn't even get dressed just lounged around in my pj's, was feeling very fatigued and thought this was something to do with the rads, by sunday I was up dressed doing my exercises and out walking so all was ok.

Hope everyone is doing ok, sending lots of love and healing vibes
sarahlousie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there rads peeps

I have a sore red area now and the nurse dresses it for me after treatment. Only 3 to go and then I get a few days off treatment. Hurrah! How's everyone else getting on?

X Sarah

araminta9

I had rads first thing in the morning (long drive too!) and I did work throughout. I went to bed very very early! the tiredness hit me a couple of weeks after. Its hard to describe. For me it was more like a complete loss of stamina. I've just posted on another thread - about three weeks after I finished rads I took my daughter back to her Uni - we went shopping for bits for her flat and I love shopping. But after an hour I'd had enough. I was exhausted and just let her search and stood (or sat) by the till with my card 🙂

three months later I went back to collect her and spent a whole day Christmas shopping - and was only normally tired at the end. It really emphasised for me that things do get better.

Just pace yourself, have lots of early nights with a good book. Eat healthily. and long lie -ins at the weekend. And you might be very lucky and not affected!

TeeCass

Hi, please can i join too?
I am about to start rads and i have read loads about the se of tiredness.
I have been rushing to get back to work, just to keep me sane and an attempt to get my life back!!
so i am a bit concerned as to whether i can cope.
I am going to work mornings and have rads in the afternoon.
Is the tiredness mentally/physically? both? do you just want to sleep or is it a case of too tired to think and do things?
Not making much sense, just fretting a bit that ive bitten off more than i can chew!

sarahlousie

Hi Rexi.

I had my mx with lymph clearance in Sept last year and because of the position you have to lie in to receive the rads and for them to do the initial scan and because of the problems i had and continue to have with my affected arm I started the rads on the 4th will finish on the 25th jan. Please don't worry too much my onc was not worried about me not starting them until now and its been months!!! Its so important that you are healed and can get your arms into the position required as you have too hold that position still, I have been doing my exercises and ended up going to a physio just to be able to get these rads, my surgeon told me that he had to dissect quite extensively in my armpit shoulder area hence the reason why I am struggling with my arm, I take pain killers before I go in in a bid to help. I think the 4-6 weeks is a general guideline and of course not all of us fit into that criteria.

Hope this helps
love and light
sarahlousie xx

Rexi

Hi,
I posted in Dec expecting to have started with RT by now, but was a bit unlucky.
I got myself a bad infection and ended in hospital for most days over Xmas and new year. They figured out I had a bacterial infection on Xmas day and on boxing day my lymph node scar, which was healed from the outside, burst and I spend the rest of the week in hospital. I was left with a big leaking hole on the side, which only now seem to fill with tissue), still leaking a bit though. As long as it's not completely healed they won't start radiotherapy.
I am a bit anxious - I had a lumpectomy and node clearance on the 5th Dec and was told RT should begin 4-6 weeks after. The 6 weeks are over and I dont know when I can start yet 😞
How much delay is ok before the treatment is starting to be less effective?

Happy zapping to all of you 🙂

Rexi

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah
Not everyone has a problem. I wasn't aware until I noticed red bits. It was the ladies on this site that alerted me to the idea that something could be done. My nurse was so lovely and she was very gentle with the gel.

Glad to be on the home strait now. Getting a bit tired also. Both my shoulders are sore, I think it's the position they have to go in. I am doing my exercises and will take some paracetemol before treatment.

X Sarah

sarahlousie

Hi Sarah,
Oh so sorry your feeling sore and red but pleased that your getting something to help straight away with the dressings and gel pads, looks like this is what I've got to look forward. Not long to go now only 4 more then your done. I've still got another 8 stroll on the end of January.
Sending you healing prayers
love and light
sarahlousie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Red and sore! Have been given dressings by nurse and instructed how to apply them. Instantly cooling! I was also given a couple of gel pads which will cool the area down. It was lovely to get the dressings as relief was immediate. 4 more to go, and we carry on cooking a bit after that. I have been told that I will have to continue with the dressings fir a fortnight after treatment has ended. Oh the joy lol
Don't suffer in silence. I just happened to notice last night that my skin was visibly red and a nurse was summoned straight away. Excellent care here in Coventry.
X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Christine,

My friend had MX on 10th Nov and she had her 1st rads today. Her Onc told her so long as they were started before end Jan they would be fine. Hope this helps.

Good luck
Maj x

ps i to am heavily "gifted" and had a few problems re burns but was also given dry dressing called PolyMEM that was excellent.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all first post on this forum , im aw dates for rads , ive to get 25 so its just waitin lol xxx
good luck to all x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there. I was told about six weeks. Enough time for the wound to heal. I had my planning three weeks after mx, then began rads six weeks after mx.
Hope that helps

3network3

May I just ask quickly how long I have to wait for the rads to start after MX? I'm having chemo just now before MX.

Thanks and love, christine xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone thought I'd like to share my experience to those of you about or having your Radio. Treatment wise please believe me it is not painful just slightly daunting until you get into your stride which is usually on the 4th session.

I am 4 weeks post Radio and unfortunately I am one of those women who is heavily 'gifted' and my skin did break up, near the end of my treatment underneath my breast, the best way to describe it is it's like a sweat rash which is sunburnt, as the skin peels. I told the Radiotherapists who referred me to the nurse and was given dressings. We have no need to suffer the dressings are fabulous, easy to use and not in the least painful, rather soothing in fact. I was also given a pad to put inside my bra as no one tells you your nipple goes hard and is tender. I also found that your breast is extremley warm/hot compared to the other one. I describe it as being 'cooked' from the inside out. I also went very spotty like a sun rash from being out to long in the sun.

With regards to creams, I used my Aloe Vera Cream, which I swear by, first thing in the morning, before dressing after the Radio, before going to bed and everytime after showering. The nice thing was everytime they checked my skin the always said it was looking good.

I did break down after my 2nd session I don't know if I just found it overpowering and out of my comfort zone after all that had happened but using my own cream made me feel like I was taking some control back - stupid really but it made me feel better and that's what it's all about. Do what feels right for you.

Everyone's experience is slightly different but it's something not to be afraid of. The side effects overall are not that bad. It's just that your body has settled after the op and it's being disturbed again but in a backwards way. You have the treatment then the side effects kick in. After 4 weeks of no Radio I'm finally turning a corner, the breast is looking and feeling better I kept up the physio so the pains around both the lymph & breast scars are non-existant. The tiredness is a bit hard to describe as I fall asleep at the drop of a hat but will ease eventually.

Good luck to you all but don't waste your energy worrying about the Radiotherapy and the after effects just take it in your stride and you will be fine.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone, first rads today at WP in Sheffield, was there about an hour but most of that was waiting. I am also slathering on the cream ,just bought a big pot from tesco for £2.50.
I know it is not really funny but it does appeal to my wry sense of humour when they tell you that one of the side effects of radiotherapy could be cancer!!
Like the others on this thread the anticipation was far worse than the actual treatment.
Love to all
F xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
How's everybody getting on? I had a blood test today then a ct scan then rads. Everything ran well on time until we tried to get out of the car park. Monumental wait. I was awake on and off all night worrying that I might oversleep and not get to hospital on time. Consequently I am quite tired now. Only two appts tomorrow. Then rads Friday then the weekend off before it all starts again. Lol
X Sarah

CPT

Hi all Hope you all well. I had my portacath out today as I finish chemo #8 last month. Hurrah - bit sore & bruised but ok. Am sure after a good sleep I'll be fine. And I start Rads x20 on Wednesday at Lincoln. Hoping all will be ok - juggling trips child care school pick ups etc!

Looking forward to sharing this part of the blip trip with you all xx

CPT X

Guest user
Not applicable

I am also starting 30 Jan - very best wishes to all other Jan ladies.

C x

Guest user
Not applicable

So, about to start the appt frenzy week. However, just got a call from onc sec to say he and his sidekick are off somewhere so appt now on Monday. So just rads and iv zometa Thursday. Ct scan bloods and rads day before. A bit more manageable. Need a haircut desperately now, so will try to book in amongst other appts.
Hope everything goes to plan for all you other ladies. On zap 8 today so just under halfway there

X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello January Ladies - I am starting on Jan 30th and wondered if I could join you?! I had 1st mammo at end Oct with diagnosis DCIS with microinvasion with 1st lumpectomy on 21st Nov plus SN and then another slice taken on 8th Dec to get margins. My dear mum died on 13th Dec so my world turned even more upside down. We buried her a few days ago which was so sad. I had my CT scan yesterday and tattoos which were painful.
I am coping reasonably well but am getting worried about side effects of RT and tiredness. I was oestrogen positive and am on the cusp of needing Tamoxifen - is there anyone else who has had to make this decision?
Sorry this has all come out as a bit of a blurb but I thought I was being very sorted but keep having wobbles.

Guest user
Not applicable

It's not a good ideate begin rads before six weeks post mx because they like to give the wound time to heal
X

BrainyBlonde

Hi there,

Got my letter today to say I have a planning appointment for rads on 24th Jan. It says that if there is a cancellation before that they will let me know. I hope there is as this seems quite a long way off. My op was on 16th Dec so would like to start rads and get it over with as soon as possible.
Jan

Guest user
Not applicable

I am just about to have number 5 so just behind you cackles.
I think it was the enormity of how many sessions I had to go to, plus fitting in a ct scan zometa iv and two onc appts. I just felt suddenly overwhelmed.
X sarah

Cackles

I started radiotherapy on Dec 28 th and have had six sessions now. It really is just like having an x-ray.....you feel nothing. Yes the skin might get very red and blister in some cases but the side effects are minimal in most cases and would certainly not make me decide against treatment. In comparison to chemo it is a walk in the wood. The benefits outweigh the risks in many treatments for cancer.nobody can put their hands on their hearts and say you will not have a problem but they are very rare and the therapies are used because they have been proved to control disease.
I hope all goes well for you.

sarahlousie

Ahhh sarah sorry too hear you were in meltdown yesterday but it happens to all of us at some point, maybe try placing either smokey quartz or black tourmaline in your bath to make a kind of bath essence, they are very good at clearing negative energys/thought patterns. Are you just using the aqueous cream they gave you? I've also got some aloe vera 99.9% gel I asked the radiologist about it and she said it was fine to use that although she was not sure about using a aloe leaf straight from the plant!! which I would of thought would be better.

Glad to hear your feeling better, sending you some big cyber hugs love and light
sarahlousie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

My team said often people don't notice any skin change for a few weeks. However I have been applying cream morning and night and have been bathing the area with baby bath. I like the idea of crystals.
I had a bit of a melt down yesterday, but feel lots better today
X sarah

sarahlousie

Hi Sarah,

Finally joined you and had my first zap today it took 25 minutes and I had trouble holding my arm in that position but just about managed it, the 2 radiographers were talking numbers and I was just led there trying to concentrate on keeping everything still. Did'nt feel a thing and was quite suprised, feel fine at the moment will apply some cream before bed tonight then back in tomorrow at 10.30. They are blasting my mx site and lymph nodes in my armpit (whats left of them) and on my collar bone and neck.

I am really into crystal healing and therapy so I wore my smoky quartz bracelets one on each wrist they said I could keep them on, smoky quartz is supposed to counteract the affects of radiotherapy or any invisible radiowaves, I also keep a lump of it on my computer to counteract the electromagnetic smog from my laptop. Another good one is black tourmaline.

Hope its going well for you Sarah
sending love and light
sarahlousie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oooo Sarahlouise hope it goes well for you today. I have a cd playing whilst being treated. The first session takes longer cos they have more measurements to do, but the others are a lot quicker. Just close your eyes and listen to the music.
X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

How's everyone getting on? On zap 4 today.

X Sarah.

Guest user
Not applicable

Zap no 2 and 13 to go. The team today were hilarious and the time sped by.
Have more felt tip pen marks today. I did suggest that maybe they could join the dots into a galleon in full sail when they have finished.
The table is hard. My arm was slightly sore, a warning to keep up with my exercises

X Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah
Try not to stress about them. I had wound myself into a bit of a frenzy. Not worth it.
Had a very broken nights sleep last night, but that was due to have g trouble getting comfy in bed. Haven't had an unbroken night for about a week. It's because I prefer to lie on my side, and my wound tells me to lie on my back. My legs have started to cramp.. I finally had the brainwave of using a cushion for support and will do so again tonight. Hopefully that will do the trick
X Sarah

sarahlousie

Hi Sarah,

I'm due to start my rads on the 4th did'nt realize you were doing them as well, hope all is well and thanks again for your PM over the xmas period they really helped me out.
Love and light

sarahlousie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
Just had first zapping. The majority of the time was taken up with two radiographers muttering numbers and getting me positioned correctly. It's a bit like star wars, but not that scary and very manageable.
X Sarah

loppy

Good luck to everyone with rads coming up. I had 15 in September after wle in June. I can recommend using whatever moisturiser you choose for a while beforehand. My skin is still peeling just the tiniest bit now. My skin broke just a little bit, but lots of moisturiser helped, along with a very soft, seam-free bra. I started getting sore after 9 treatments. I was tired for a short time each day after treatment finished for about ten days, but then I was completely back to normal. I do still experience rib pain where I was radiated, but it's only a minor annoyance. Tamoxifen has not caused me any serious problems - I do wake up hot when the weather's anything but freezing, but any symptoms I've had have settled down over the six months that I've been taking it.

I know the information overload gets to us all after a while, but all you can do is make the best choices for right now.