69212members
363391posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting rads on 10th nov

Re: starting rads on 10th nov

I'm currently sitting in the hospital car park killing time as arrived way too early. Just want to get this first session out of the way! I think I'm having 15 fractions plus 4 boost but forgot to ask and don't remember them saying. Just know 19 in total with the last on the 1st December. It's just over an hours drive each way so think I'll be feeling it by the end 🙂

Hi Boa,

i would have chosen the first appointment every day at 8.00 am if i had a choice  because i like early starts, less chance of appointments running late etc, but as i say with my daughter its not possible, i'm sure I'll be able to work with them over times and they with me . 

Deelush x

Think i am quite lucky as there is a hospital about ten minutes away from me by car that does the rads, its a different hospital to the one where i attended breast clinic and chemo , but my rads consultant has weekly meetings with my other consultants at my breast clinic so they all get toghether to disguss stuff, i imagine the daily regime is going to get a bit tiring but its gonna be so doable after chemo, well i hope so anyway.;)

Deelush

Hi Deelush

I was told by the oncologist that I could chose the time to go and I preferred early afternoon as this is best traffic wise but as you see from my post to Mel51 it is at 12.40 and I have the same time for all appointments. It sort of breaks the day but I just need to get on with things! I tried to change the times but it wasnt possible!

Boa

Hello Mel51

Good to hear from you. A friend of mine who was a doctor has told me that it can be very draining travelling every day to hospital for the rads. Like you I have the appointment in the middle of the day at 12.40. I have to travel to Edinburgh from Fife and although the journey is usually only 30 minutes I will have to leave extra time as there might be heavy traffic. The bonus is that there is reserved parking but sometimes that can be busy and you have to queue. You are so right- it is about losing control and freedom! Let us know how you get on today. 

Boa

HI Mel51,

your getting the same dose as me then 15 plus 8 boosts, im really dreading the thougt of burnt skin and our treatments will be so close to christmas by the time we actually finish plus the effects carry on for two to theee weeks after so it's all a case of wait and see. Are you using cream or lotion, i got e45 lotion in a pump bottle but if it doesn't do the job i may ask my dr for something else on prescription. Did you get your appointments for the whole of your treatment already or just for the week.

deelush x

Hi there,
I wondered if I could join? I started my rads two days ago and am also having 23 sessions (15 + 8 boosters). I used e45 before starting and was given Diprobase by the hospital during my planning session. Some ladies received their cream on their first day. I'm a little pink already but I slather lots of cream on during the day and am keeping my fingers crossed! My appointments are roughly at the same time each day, but unfortunately for me all in the middle of the day.
As far as rads vs chemo argument - I thought this would be a breeze compared to chemo but think I underestimated how draining it is going every day. I suppose I'm surrendering my control and freedom once again to this disease. Now I've accepted that I feel much better, so we'll see how today goes!

HI Boa,

ive only got one appointment so far and that is for monday at 3.15 pm, think because i had a little bit of a freak out when initially they gave me an appointment for three weeks following planning i was like "err no thats too long" they manged to bring it forward a week. Its going to be fun trying to arrange my appointments round my daughters shifts as i take her to work and pick her up again most days and she can have a different rota time everyday anything from 7.00 am to 8.00 pm.The hospital said they would do their best to try to accomodate me so we'll see. What time is your appointment on monday.

deelush x

Hi Deelush
No, I didn't have chemo. I had a WLE and SNB in August. However, had to have more surgery in September as the margins were not clear. Up until the appointment to review this operation there was no talk of chemo but at this appointment I was told that I was borderline for chemo and saw an oncologist. Chemo would give very little extra so I decided against it. Immediately I got the diagnosis I was prescribed letrozole. Fortunately I have not really had side effects. Flushes at first but they have calmed down. I'm glad you didn't have too bad an experience with chemo. I wonder what Monday will bring! Do you have your appointment at the same time each day?
Boa

Hi Boa,

im in the west midlands, and my hospital just advised e45 and simple soap for the shower, i tend to use a lot of simple products  ( and sanex) any way as i am allergic to most perfumed products. Did you have chemo, i did and finished it the beginning of sept my surgery was in march, i am now on tamoxifen too. Hoping the rads is easier than chemo although i think i did manage that quite well after reading of other ladies experiences.

deelush x

I haven't bought any creams. My hospital said if I needed anything that they would supply it. I'm being treated in Edinburgh. Where are you, deelush?

HI Boa, they didint say wether i should or shouldnt use anynthing on my skin first so not sure what to do, i got some E45 lotion in a pump dispenser i wasn't given anything at the hospital, did you buy your own stuff,

deelush

Me too on the same date but with just 15 sessions. I have read in a number of frums about using creams before the sessions start but at my preparation meeting they told me not to. Different hospitals have different instructions.

starting rads on 10th nov

Hi ladies is there anyone else that is starting rads on the 10th november that would like to go on this journey with me for company, i am having 23 sessions thsts 15 plus 8 boosters and will be finished on 10th december all being well

deelush