362782posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting rads on 10th nov

Highlighted

starting rads on 10th nov

Hi ladies is there anyone else that is starting rads on the 10th november that would like to go on this journey with me for company, i am having 23 sessions thsts 15 plus 8 boosters and will be finished on 10th december all being well

deelush

213 REPLIES 213
Highlighted

Lynne

This sounds very familiar. I finished my rads and boosts yesterday and have been very sore for a few days now can't think about wearing a bra. I'm quite grateful it's winter and can cover up under coats and scarves. My oncologist prescribed Flamazine cream for my burn and does it give me some relief. Might be worth giving your hospital a call.
Highlighted

Lyne69,
I know I'm going to sound like a sales rep but do consider asking the radio nurse if Flamazine would help...its special cream for burns (and stops infection in burns). I used it on chargrilled nip (area of boosts) and it really helped.
Hoping u are not to sore for too long....
2 months post end of radio and I'm using Palmers coconut oil on the lingering patches. Not sore just get a bit dry. Good stuff on the thankfully now faint scars too.
hope the wafting is working Wemblo!
seabreeze x
Highlighted

Hi ladies
Iv taken ur advice in the E45 cream, my skin has split under my boob and become really sore. I can no longer wear any bra (not giving me th most confident look as I'm quite big busted) I finished my rads on 19th and had only slight pinking up until then but gradually become darker and sore this week. Iv been using aloe vera gel but started with th E45 out of desperation today hoping to get some relief.
Lyn x
Highlighted

Hello

Just checking into our messages and finding the wafting of skin very funny but I obviously feel for you if its sore.  Mine's getting more pink each day with a definite edge to it, not like a graded tan, so it will look odd for a while when changing at the gym!  Its a clear rectangle!

Also finding the hot flushes and night sweats getting more frequent and stronger- anyone else finding radiotherapy increases these?  It might just be the extra warming from my skin setting them off.

Have great weekends everyone.

Highlighted

Hi ladies

Wemblo your wafting post really made me laugh. Thanks.

glad everyone else is doing ok, off to party now for my hubbys birthday( yesterday), the kids are round for tea with there partners so six of us (lol we can sound like a lot more )

The disco ball is all set up and doing its stuff and drinks are being served, food to be delivered in a little while.

have a great weekend ladies 

deelush x x 

Highlighted

Hi deelush

2nd one done and dusted today after a very long wait as the machines were playing up. My session took longer as it was actually having a ' tantrum ' while I was being zapped. I got very uncomfortble while they were fixing it as they didn't want me to move.

I used the aqueous cream they gave me but am not convinced it as good as E45 which i have used in the past for various skin conditions. I have a large tub of E45 so when their small tube finishes I think I will use it as I've always found it good.

It's really good that your not having problems with your skin so hope it stays that way for you.

have a good weekend

SML xx

Highlighted

Deelush
Yes, they did say at the clinic today that we go on cooking for a couple of weeks and that if tiredness creeps in it may last a couple of months!
Highlighted

Well done Boa and Wemblo for getting through it, what will you do with all the spare time you'll now have (except wafting). I suppose the advantage of having a mastectomy is there isn't any underboob skin to get broken so no wafting for me.
After today I'm a third through my treatment and can't believe how quickly time is flying unlike the chemo where the weeks dragged. Have a good weekend everyone. X
Highlighted

Cooked! All done. Strange feeling really after a total of 22 visits. I'll get a call from them in about 2 weeks to see how I'm getting on but have been given numbers to ring if I've any problems whatsoever. The advice for my now underboob broken skin. Lie on the sofa at least 4 times a day. Lifting the boob and wafting! 😳 might not have time to post for a while I'll be too busy wafting 😂😂
Highlighted

Sml1903, re aquas cream verses e45 lotion.

i know each hospital follows their own protocal so to speak, but i personally believe e45 to be the better of the two. E45 is dermatologically tested and is made for sore dry itchy chapped skin. Aquas cream is a know skin thinner. Google it you'll be surprised . I understand if you feel that you need to follow the advise of the hospital but i would personally go with e45. Ive had 12 rads so far its number 13 today and so far my skin is great, i use the lotion twice a day, it absorbs quickly rather than sitting on top of the skin like a cream does. Anyway best of luck with what ever you decide.

p.s. i think e45 does contain a small amount of lanolin, depending on which variation you buy so if your allergic to lanolin please be aware.

take care

deelush x x

Highlighted

Congratulations Boa on completing your rads without any horrid side effects. Keep an eye on your skin over the next two to three weeks as it apparently carries on "cooking" a while after treatment is finished.

i reckon we'll all look like we'll basted birds come christmas 😉 

Take care

deelush x x

Highlighted

Last rads today for me. Have been very fortunate in that I have had no burning and just a few episodes of tiredness. Staff have been excellent always friendly. Sessions most often run late though. Clinic after the session today and I may be given creams but in our place they don't like you using creams unless absolutely necessary. Thanks all for your companionship and advice here.
Highlighted

Hi 

I had my first rads today. The staff all very nice and made me feel relaxed. They gave me the aqueous cream they use and when I asked if I could use E45 they advised me not to as theirs had less additives. I always thought that E45 was the best but you learn something new all the time. I am starting to ache this evenning but I guess its the position they have to put you in and it's always longer on the first one. 1 down, 14 + 3 to go and will be finished in time for Chrismas. Best wishes SML X

Highlighted

Only 2 more boosts to go. I'll be done (well done) by the weekend. Skin generally fine apart from a rather sore burn in the fold underneath my boob. I'm told it's an almost inevitable side effect of not being flat chested but should be healed by Christmas. My thoughts, it's a small price to pay for keeping my boobs. Just been browsing on line for a suitable LBD that's loose and won't look too bad with my braless figure. Loving internet shopping, great for diminishing energy levels, off to complete my Sainsburys order now. Take care ladies xx
Highlighted

I'm on boost 4 today and my skin feels more sore on the boosts. It's nothing major but a little tender. I'm also getting quite tired, but am pretty busy generally so don't know if it's the rads or not. Having an easy day today so will see how I feel later. 4 more to go.....keep smothering the cream ladies 😃
Highlighted

Number 14 today! It's fairly normal in our unit to have to wait. Longest has been an hour. But everything is going well for me and so far no burning or pain. Can be a little tired, especially for a couplevof days last week but better now so it might have been a wee bug I had. Hope you are all doing fine.
Highlighted

Good morning ladies, hows everyone doing. Hope we are all having minamul side effects and keeping ok. I am on number 12 today and so far so good.  Apointments were a hour late yesterday but thats the first time that ive really had to wait, they couldnt apologise enough , bless them. 

Im sorry that some of you ladies are having to make some tough decisions and choices when it comes to your treatment and only hope you can really find strength and peace with them and move on. 

take care everyone

deelush x x 

Highlighted

Hello

Seabreeze, you seem to have approached your difficult decision really well by seeking out advice from the professionals again to make sure you have the facts first.  Its a lot to cope with on top of the treatments themselves-decision making about your future life is very tough.  You are being very brave.

I'm going to follow your advice and ask about these booster rads as I am a lumpectomy lady but have not been offered them.  I'd like to find out why not!

Take care everyone.

Highlighted

Sea breeze there's nothing better than enjoying cocktails with friends. I did this to celebrate finishing chemo. My questions to the dr is usually can I drink during treatment. So pleased they said yes during radiotherapy as I planned a wine tasting night net weekend and it would have been torture not to join in.
Second session was quicker today and the staff are all so lovely plus it helps they had warm hands today unlike yesterday!!
Highlighted

Seabreeze. (Need to try that cocktail but might have to be a few years hence)
Sorry to hear of your dilemma, hope you're content with your decision. Such a difficult one.

Forties. Ever since my diagnosis I've carried a small note book in my handbag in which I make a note of questions as they occur to me. I don't quite sit in the consulting room notebook in hand but a quick peek and a reminder before I go in. I've already started my list for my next appt in about 6 weeks.

Highlighted

Hi Forties,
Think the boosters are usually given to those of us who have had a lumpectomy...since they are a turbo zap in the locality of the lump. Not sure if that's your situation, if so worth asking.

Wemblo,
Thanks for asking about mtg with fertility folk. Thought I had my head round it all but confess I emerged feeling a bit like I'd done 20 rounds in a Kenwood food mixer. Early/mid forties...no kids, trying to balance odds re not taking tamoxifen and pregnancy with additional highly oestrogen positive risks v taking tamo (and prob too late for pregnancy in a few years time). Odds weren't good on a multitude of levels re the first option.
So...given grapefruit juice is supposed to affect how tamoxifen works I decided to celebrate/commiserate...memorate (ok not a word but should be) the occasion by having some grapefruit juice cocktails with friends.....googled recipes and haha, had forgotten there's one called Seabreeze! Had to be done...getting near end of juice carton now and then hey ho tamo we go.... (could be an alternative version to hi ho Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs). Feeling a bit more resigned to it now...need to adopt a niece or something (I don't have nieces/nephews either but thankfully a Goddaughter.....albeit miles away)
Hope you are all surviving your zaps as burn free as pos.
Seabreeze x
Highlighted

Hello

I've seen my dr today and he's given me hydrocortisone cream for itchy skin.  Apart from that all good.  Why didn't I ask him why I'm not down for any booster sessions?  Just 15 normals.  I feel like I'm missing out on something special!   THere's always something you forget to ask the Dr isn't there!

I'm using sanex shower gell and it seems ok- strange to have products without perfume though as I like to smell fresh!

Sounds as though everyone is doing well- only a week or two to go now.

Highlighted

Sodastream

i bought a large pump bottle of e45 lotion, its easier to apply than a tub of cream and less messy, i got it from asda but then found out it was actually cheaper in boots and then on half price offer, so do shop around, i wasnt sure if i was meant to get cream or lotion but decided the lotion would be easier, less messy less greasy and absorb faster.

deelush x x

Highlighted

Thanks mel51

Glad your booster went ok, and good luck for tomorrow hope you get some answers.

Highlighted

My booster sessions were almost exactly the same as my normal rads sessions except I have 4 mini zaps!! Today took a little longer as they did scans to ensure they were hitting the tumour bed. All over in 15 mins. Will let you know when I hear from onc tomorrow about bleeding.
Highlighted

Thanks Deelush I've got some simple soap so will use that and get some E45 cream tomorrow.
Highlighted

Oh dear sodastream

sorry to hear your first session wasnt such a good experience,  hopefully you'll get on better tomorrow.

i am using e45 lotion on my skin and so far so good, but i just use a bar of simple soap in the shower and find this works quite well, i was dubious as i always use shower gel, but its quite nice. Any missed bits of purple pen that i didn't manage to get off with the wipes comes off easy with the simple soap. Hth

deelush x x 

Highlighted

Hi all. Had my first treatment today. They were running late by 30 minutes and then took forever to line me up and get the goggles to work so I ended up laying on the table for about 30 minutes and ended up with a numb bum of all things. So with an appointment time of 3.52 I was finished at 5 o'clock. I don't quite know what I was expecting but 2 x 20 seconds of a machine whirling and making a noise and it was all over. At least I've got my times for the next 3 weeks so I can plan my life around treatment.
They told me to use aqueous cream to wash with but it's awful stuff, is anyone using anything else? X
Highlighted

Thanks for describing the booster session for Deelush, Wemblo. I'd been wondering what to expect. I have one more normal session and start boosts on Wednesday. Can't believe how quickly the weeks have passed! Skin pink and I have a slightly nippy nip but apart from that it's ok. Hope sessions go well for everyone tomorrow. X
Highlighted

Hi Wemblo

thanks very much for the update, at least i know what to expect now. Ive got 6  more normal rads to go then 8 boosters.

deelush x x 

Highlighted

Booster update for Deelush. First booster done. Basically it's the same machine they use for normal rads to which they connect a frame type construction into which they put a metal plate. The plate has been made specifically for me to match my measurements and radiation needs. So the lining up is the same, then different settings for the bed. This took 3 attempts on and off the bed adding extensions etc to suit me. These are now logged so will be quicker tomorrow. There was just one treatment directed at where my nipple used to be which lasted probably about 5 minutes. The machine is much closer to your body than normal rads. Hope this helps xx

Btw one of the machines broke down just before my time slot so I was a bit delayed and I've just had a call to change the time of my appointment tomorrow. Thought it had all be going too smoothly!!
Highlighted

Hello

My bithday meal was great.  I did need to get out and have fun after all!

I too am being described as perimenopausal having had no periods since my 3rd chemo session and lots of hot flushes and nights sweats since!  I've had 2 months of Tamoxifen now too although my cancer is only very weakly ER+ and see no change with flushes or periods but possibly more irritability which could also be a result of waking at night too hot or too cold-its all extremes with cancer isn't it?

I'm expecting delays for rads today with strike action.  Hope your waits are not too long.

Highlighted

Mel51 and wemblo,

i will be looking forward to hearing how the booster sessions go today and how they differ at all to normal sessions, i.e type of machine, length of treatment, different direction of machine etc, i will be having 8 boosters after my 15 sessions so would be interested in hearing from you lata today to see how it went. I am also er + never been told how strong my reading or results were, should i be aware of this and am also on tamoxifen , ive not had a period since last one after my second chemo and had just one tiny show about three weeks after chemo stopped, nothing since, so i will be also watching this space to see what they decided to do and why and what explanation or reasons they give you, i truely hope they can sort something out for you and put your mind at rest, i am as confused as the rest with all the different signs and symptoms to look out for etc etc.

Take care ladies

deelush x x 

Highlighted

Mel 51
My story, I've been on Tamoxifen for 2 months now, I'm 56 and perimenopausal ie erratic periods for over a year, I had full blown bleeding last week which scared the life out of me. I hadn't read the small print and thought Tamoxifen would stop my periods. My oncologist reassured me this was not unusual and blood tests show my ovaries are still active. No talk at all of further intervention just regular blood tests. The more I find out about this intrusion in our lives the more I realise every case is different. Yep it's one big roller coaster. Off for No 1 of my 5 boosters today. The burn under my boob is now quite sore, probably not helped by wearing a bra when I went out this weekend. I've been told I can use the Flamazine during the boosts as it's not in an area that is to be irradiated. Gonna hang loose for the rest of the week and hope it helps.

Hope it's a good week for you all xx
Highlighted

Ladies,
Hope you all had a good weekend.
Deelush - I'm pleased to hear that the lump was nothing to worry about. it was the right thing to go and get it checked out.
I'm really feeling tired this morning. Had a busy weekend, so that didn't help. Going to the gym in a little while as I feel that gives me a burst of energy and will make me feel better, then off for number 1 of the 8 boosts which start for me today. Skin still fine, but scar underneath boob a little sore. I don't think this area is affected by the boosts so it should start to calm down over the next few weeks now. Nipple area is a bit sore and it's going to continue to take a bashing in the boosts so keep your fingers crossed!
Wondered if any of you other ladies on Tamoxifen have started with periods again. Mine stopped after three chemos and I had a little bit of a 'show' last month, but this month I have had a full (if a little contracted) period. I contacted my oncologist and one of his Registrars called me back on Friday night. He is going to discuss with my team on Tuesday as to whether they need to suppress my ovaries too as I'm strongly ER+. What I don't understand is why this is necessary as Tamoxifen doesn't stop you producing oestrogen, but it stops it bonding with cancer cells ( my basic understanding) so what difference does it make of I continue to have periods?? Or is it that they don't want me to bleed in case I miss the signs of something more serious down there? Anyway, I'm waiting for a call back from onc tomorrow to see what he has in store for me! And the roller coaster continues............Hope today is good for all of you x

Oh dear wemblo green lasers thats all you needed lol .
Highlighted

Evening Ladies, hope we've all recharged our batteries for next week. Forties, hope you enjoyed your birthday meal. I went to a 'Classiical Spectacular' concert arranged well before my diagnosis and decided to use some of my limited energy to go as a distraction. There were canons, fireworks, great music and..... A laser light show. Green lasers!!!! Took me straight back to the rads table!!! Ironic!

Skin looking redder by the day but thankfully still not sore. The burn underneath my boob is developing nicely but thankfully the Flamazine is doing a great job. 5 more days to go!!! Good luck for next week

Wemblo x
Highlighted

Bionsen deodorant is very good, aluminium and paraben free.
Highlighted

Thanks ladies, happy birthday forties enjoy yourself.

dr unconcerned about the lump said it feels like normal  fibrocystic breast tissue and not to worry, she said my skin looks very good so far which it does and iI'll be seeing her again next friday, i have an appointment now at the breast clinic for 3rd december and she said to keep the appointment and theyll probably do an ultrasound scan, but reassured me they wont find anything to worry about, the rads nurses said dont worry because even if it was anything its in the field of treatment so getting blasted anyway lol, bless them they are lovely.oh and as a bonus i get three days offf now because unit is closed on monday for maintenance so few days to recover . Take care everyone and enjoy your weekend

deelush x x

Highlighted

Hello

I

'm back from the hospital and 

I'm beginning to go slighty pink after treatments now but not too sore -I hope everyone elses' skin holds up.

Its my 45th birthday this weekend (I'd hoped to be all treatments finished by now) and I'm being encouraged by my family for a meal out before the fatigue sets in!!!!!  I'm looking forward to a pick me up half way through my rads treatments.  It should help me get to the end -as I can begin a count down from next week!

Enjoy your weekends too.

H

ope the dr is reassurring for you today Deelush.

Highlighted

Hi Deelush. Hope you can get some reassurance about your lump today and can enjoy a worry free weekend.

Seabreeze, hope the fertility folk gave you the answers you wanted.

Hope you can all enjoy your weekend without too much stress and soreness. Might treat myself to a cocktail or 2 tonight 🙂
Highlighted

Morning ladies

hope your all doing ok,, last one today then two days off. Ive got to say though i think these first two weeks have gone very quick. 

3 oclock appointment today then round to see the dr, will be asking her to check out this lump and see what she thinks, i did phone my bcn hoping they would let me pop in but they're putting an  appointment in the post and than can take two weeks, so I'm keeping fingers crossed dr can reassure me about it or at least try and get it looked at quicker because lets face it another two weeks and my skin might be sore and the last thing I'm going to want is an ultra sound pushing down on my boob. Fingers crossed its all ok.

take care and have a good weekend everyone 

deelush x x

Highlighted

Opps! Happy chopping Wemblo!
Highlighted

Me too. Happy chopping Forties! I used large squares about 30 x 30 cm to avoid rub across entire area. A few in diff sizes for ultimate flexibility!

Yes - when the chap at the MacMillan centre suggested the "look good feel better" sessions my response was, but I'd feel such a fraud since I escaped chemo..... aren't those sessions just for those who have chemo....His eyes did somewhat pop out of their sockets!

Off for meeting with fertility bods this pm....need to clear/settle my mind so I can lift the lid and start the tamoxifen...(or even open the kitchen draw and the box....)

Xxx Seabreeze
Highlighted

Loving this thread. Thanks Seabreeze. I've ordered large and am now cutting up an old t.shirt. Hubby can have his handkerchiefs back. I'll wash them first!!!

Forties. Thursday morning philosophy is perfect. Thank you. I often feel guilty on here when I look at what others have been through.
Highlighted

Should add...given so soft and stretchy it also handles a big diff re cup size for the lopsided amongst us!

Forties - like your Thurs philosopy - thank you

X
Highlighted

Wemblo,
If you haven't ordered yet you might want to consider sizing up a tad...remaining side is 34G, I needed extra large since had to size up given cup...if around a D then prob would have got large.
Just to clarify to the lady who wrote the post this morning about cotton hankerchiefs inside the cup...the advantage tshirt material has is being stretchy you put the layer of fabric so that it comes down below the band of the bra...hence reducing friction where the band is and helping reduce skin rub burn combo.
Best to you all through Thurs.
Xxx seabreeze
Highlighted

Hello

Here's my Thurs morning philsophy:

For tho

se of you who have escaped  the chemo I don't think its necessarily any easier for you as my little analogy might show. My analogy is teaching, where I work when not a patient, and whether the half terms are 4 or 8 weeks you only just feel like you can keep going until the next week off and then you flop and usually come down with a cold!  I think its the same with cancer treatments-no matter whether you have chemo or rads or not , I think you set your mind to cope with a certain treatment and have an end date in mind which you can get your head around.  Unexpected and additional treatments such as returning to surgery for margins or extra booster rads can be harder still.

Its the diagnosis too which tests you to your limits and we all have one of those whatever the treatment!

Take care everyone.

Highlighted

Morning ladies,

i'm finding the comfort top type of bras out of asda for £6 each are really good, infact i bought three just to wear during my rads sessions but have found them to be so comfortable i think they are going to be my bra of choice after treatment too, thier the most comfortable bra i have ever worn. There are no straps or clasps to undo just pull them on and they have little removable pads in them, very stretchy and supportive. They do them in black beige and white which i have and also grey and pink which i intend to get £1 goes to the tickled pink charity if you but the pink one. Granted they are not 100% cotton but i figure if i get a packet of handkercheif squares in cotton i could put these inside when needed, the bra tops cover a larger area below the breast so hopefully will prevent soreness, and when i go for treatment i just slip the straps off my shoulders pull the top down round my waist and pop my gown top on easy and quick. They kinda look like a sports bra top what some women wear in the gym, but so comfy for £6 you could give one a try, i absolutely could not walk about without a bra of some sort on and these are proving to be great.

deelush x x 

Highlighted

Sea breeze

Thank you so much for the advice, I've got various styles of bra for the different stages of my treatments. I've just had a look online and this one looks perfect I'm off t to order one now to give it try. xxx