Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still sore is this normal

79 REPLIES 79
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: still sore is this normal

Thanks Dot. Pity that includes all my movements!
Judy

dotchas

Judy,

Take a look at the thread "Need reassurance following recon"
Ruthus suggests avoiding the movements that cause the contractions. Pity that it includes wiping my bum!
Love
Dot
xxx

dotchas

Hi Judy,

Nice to hear from you. Sorry about the botox,don't know why the Dr suggested it to me .Although my BCN said she had never heard of it!
It is a bit soul destroying when they just keep saying "give it more time". I felt at the clinic the other day that the Dr was saying you have a boob to put in your bra,what more do you want! I didn't know I'd get one that does tricks! I also have a hard ridge running along under the lower edge of my scar,he just dismissed that too
I hope when I see my Consultant he is a bit more sympathetic.
My arm is fine,I seem to be very lucky ,I have full movement back and haven't really had any problems there.If it doesn't ease soon,definitely get some physio.
I have been driving about 3 weeks I think,but I suppose its dependant on your arm movement.My problem is getting out of my car (wee sports car) I had a right mastectomy and use my right arm to lever myself out my car but that makes my boob contract big style!
I am still weepy but looking forward to a night out tonight ,there is a crowd of us going to someones house and they are all very supportive friends.We are going out for lunch on Sunday too so I am looking forward to the weekend.
Hope they are right about your seroma,I still have a swelling which did not go down after my drainage so I am worried I am stuck with that!
Take care Judy ,have a lovely weekend and hope to hear from you soon

Dot
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
I had my seroma drained-should be the last time hopefully as the quantity was reduced. The consultant wasn't very impressed about the Botox idea-he had never heard of it. He thought that the twitching would settle down over the next few months. If not, then he would operate to cut the nerve, but would rather not, as this may make the reconstructed breast reduce in size. My next appt with him isn't for 3 months, so I guess I will just have to be patient and see what happens.
How is your arm moving? Can you get both hands to the same height when you 'walk 'your fingers up the wall? My right side is about a foot below my left- it seems like the band of muscle in the armpit is preventing me form raising it. My armpit is still quite swollen. I am now allowed to do 'very gentle swimming', so I am going to try and exercise it in the water and see if that helps. If not, I think I might need some physio at some point.
Have you started driving yet? When I asked today, he said I could try it, as long as I had power steering. I have a feeling that my back is going to be very uncomfortable though.
How are you feeling today?
Judy

dotchas

Hi Judy,

How did it go today?
Are you any further forward?

Dot
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
Glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction at last,
Judy

dotchas

Hi Judy,

The Dr mentioned that some sites do cut the nerve at operation but there can be problems with the muscle ,(can't remember the exact word he used ) ?deteriorating.
Let me know what your PS says.

The upshot of yesterday is that my Consultant was devastated to hear that I was upset by his registrar.My BCN must have told him and my colleagues in the mammo dept too! I now have an appointment to see him personally in 4 weeks.It could have been sooner but he's on holiday!
I am also going to a "end of treatment session" next week where a physio ,psychologist and BCN are all present to chat to.

I feel better today having been to see Mamma Mia with a friend!

I started another thread but it seems to have died! Everyones too busy slagging Trisha LOL!

Good luck with the drainage and PS,

Dot
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
I have just read an article about cutting the thoracodorsal nerve, which could be a permanent solution, rather than temporary like the botox. If you do a search for thoracodorsal nerve delayed division, the article should come up,
Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
It sounds as if you had a really bad day. Some men need to live in a woman's body for a while, to experience what we have to go through. They haven't a clue, have they? The counselling sounds a really good idea. Will you have to wait long for it? I think I could have done with it, but found it very difficult to talk about what I was going through , without crying, so I didn't ask. I found I was able to cope better using e mails and sites like this, but can talk about it now. A new thread sounds a good idea too.
The botox solution sounds wonderful! I am being 'drained' tomorrow, so will ask PS about possibility of having it done-assuming that the nerves are in the correct place still! I have large numb areas on my back already, which feel really strange.
Hope you are feeling a bit better today,
Judy

dotchas

Yesterday was such a bad day.
I went to the clinic and was called in nice and on time.My Surgeon was not available at clinic so was seen by his registrar.
The Dr drained the seroma again.I asked about the parts of my scar/wound that I am not happy with and he basically said I have seen worse!
He said it will never look like my other breast and maybe I should speak to the BCN about another type of bra! At this point I was in tears and tried to tell him I was struggling emotionally so as I was getting a tissue out my bag he handed me my slip to hand in for my next appointment!
I left the room with tears running down my face!
Luckily for me the first person I met was my BCN who immediately took me to her office and we had a long chat and I cried lots of tears.She went to try and find my Consultant but he was in a meeting,she got another reg to see me and he reassured me that if I was still unhappy with the scar in a few months they would be able to fix it for me or would get PS to sort it.
My BCN is referring me for counselling but this is something I would have liked to discuss with a Doctor.
I felt so let down,thank heavens for BCNs!
This was the first clinic appt I have gone to alone and I think it will be the last. Although if my OH had been there ,he would probably have been done for assault!
How can any Dr allow a patient to leave the consulting room with tears streaming down their face?
If I had not had the support from my GP the day before ,I am not sure how I would have handled his treatment.I was being open and honest and asking for help.

I think I might start a new thread with this as its made me so angry,but wanted you girls to know

PS The second Dr said if the contracting boob becomes a real problem they can use botox to paralize(sp) it

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
Hope it all goes well for you this afternoon. You sound as if you are in a similar state emotionally to me a few weeks ago. I also burst into tears at the doctors-there was no way I could stop the floodgates! I also did it to the district nurse when she came to change my dressings, about 10 days post op. I felt awful about her, as she ended up crying too! I'm not sure if she had a word with my GP but there was no hesitation over anti depressants. The district nurse said that she thought I was still in shock, because it had all happened so fast. I think she might have had a point there.
Hope you can get some help with the seroma, and with your emotional state.
Judy

dotchas

Hi Judy and Liz

Saw my Gp yesterday and burst into tears before I could say anything! I was so worked up about telling her exactly how I am feeling and hoping she would believe me!
No need to worry ,she could see for herself!
I am signed off for another few weeks so I don't have that pressure until I have seen Occ Health next month.
She wants me to chat to my BCN before we consider anti deps. I am at the clinic today so hopefully will see my BCN.
I actually feel better today ,maybe just because I am relieved that she didn't tell me to pull myself together.
I popped in to work to hand in my sick line and proceeded to tell everyone about my emotions! Everyone was lovely and concerned so that makes me a little less apprehensive about going back.
Except one Consultant,the Head of Department said "have you been off sick? are you getting better?" Nice to know that he has forgotten what was wrong with me as he was definitely told my diagnosis! Maybe it was the 2 boobs that confused him!

My seroma is over my back area like a flat hot water bottle but at one end of my scar it all swollen the size of a satsuma,Its really annoying as you can see it through my clothes.I will see what they say today at clinic.

Hope you are all well,

Dot
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
My seroma covers quite a wide area, but is not very deep if you know what I mean. I think it is filling up the space where they removed the LD muscle from just above my waist upwards. Most of that numb area seems to have a paddling pool! At least it's not a swimming pool at the moment! I have to go back and see the consultant about it next Thursday. I shall see if I can swim and drive after that too.
Emotionally I am in such a better place than I was a month ago. I was dissolving into tears so frequently, with absolutely no control, which was really embarassing. However the anti depressants have really helped, and I feel so much more stable and able to cope with life.( I haven't had any tears for about 10 days.) They also have had the added benefit of suppressing my appetite, so I haven't put back on any of the weight I lost with all the worry, which is great! Also they slightly suppress the hot flushes, which can only be good with Tamoxifen. I was very reluctant to agree to my doctors suggestion, but I am so glad I did. She wants me to stay on them for 3 months, and says they are non addictive,, and should help to get that elusive normal sleep pattern back.
I think we have been through so much in the last few months, that if there is something out there, that can make life a little bit easier, then why not accept the help. That's my way of thinking anyhow, but it did take me a while to work my way round to it! I have never taken anything like this before, and was very against the thought of anti depressants.
Anyway I am off my soap box now!
Judy

dotchas

Occ Health have just phoned with an appt for 7th October,which is better but I had hoped to go back before then.I will see what my GP and Consultant say as I see them both next week. I have not had a good day emotionally so maybe Ocober would be a better date to aim for.
I am full-time and take part in an On-call rota when working normally.

Glad you enjoyed the support group,I don't know if there is anything similar here.It'll be interesting to hear from someone who had this op a few years ago.

How big is your seroma ,mine is about satsuma sized.

I know what you mean about your brain being too busy to sleep,I find that too.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Dot
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dot
The support group was quite good fun, with lots of banter and jokes. I think I will try and go again. It would have been nice if there had been someone there who had had the same reconstruction as me, but there wasn't. A lady from the group is putting me in touch with someone else she knows, who doesn't go to the group, who had it done a few years ago. The breast care nurse was there too, so she had a quick look at my seroma on my back, and was going to talk to the consultant, and get back to me. It was my first 'evening ' out , and I was shattered after it, but found sleeping quite difficult-too much going round in my brain!
Hope you manage to get work sorted out-I assume that you were full time? I do 4 mornings, so I will be straight back in I think, when I am ready.
Judy

dotchas

Judy
How was the support group?

What is everyone doing today?

Might go and get the aqueous cream I forgot yesterday LOL!

My OH took me out for tea last night which was very nice.

Just phoned Occupational Health dept at work to chase my appt.........11th November!!!!!!!!! They are supposed to be liasing with my manager re a phased return,but I hope to be back before then!
I had problems with my manager making me do heavy duties when I returned after my first foot surgery (which failed so foot was technically still broken!) So do not want to go back without Occ Healths backing and a plan of duties etc.The dept is very short staffed and I know I will be emotionally blackmailed again with "theres no-one else"
I cannot do my normal duties thats for sure,fo the time being.
The Sec is going to speak to the Dr and ask if he will squeeze me in and call me back.
Oh I am starting to panic now!
Why is nothing simple? I work for the NHS and they can't even look after me.I am so fed up now.

take care everyone
xxx
Dot

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lainey
You are a bit further 'down the line' than Dot and I.I only a month post op, (and I think Dot is 6 weeks), so no new nipple yet! Not sure how I feel about it at the moment. My priority would be to get the twitching, and tight band feeling, sorted first.
Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Dot and all,

I may well starve if OH ever started cooking. BUT had a bit of a sleepy day, even now but talking ( emailing) others halp Do you think you ever get over it? I would like to forget but it does seem hard to do? We haven't goot a Morrisons but I get your point . Now I have had a burst of energy and decided to visit aged parent and daughter this evening . I dont htink this is wise but I know I'll do it anyway.

dotchas

Hi Lainey,

Nice to have you join us ,we are all in the same boat,with twitchy boobs etc.

I nearly bubbled in Morrisons this afternoon when they played a song that was played at a friends funeral last year (non BC)

OH is taking me for tea so can't complain!

Welcome

Dot
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Read this back and sounds like I feel v sorry for self. Not really, Just need company. Going to make come tea soon. sorry for misery. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just joined but had a cancer and reconstruction over a year ago. Lymph nodes removal and been through hell. Tamoxifen/ hot flashes complete loss of memory and depression the worst. Reading this is v reassuring but I have been hell to live with as well as going broke. I want to sign on for work- I struggled to do 2 half days but it was petty rubbish job. My boob still twitches I year on I didn't have chemo so was ucky ,but has anyone had a nipple recon? Everything seems to tumble out when I talk to people who have been through same a s me. xx to all of you.

dotchas

I have been driving for about 10 days as I find it easier than being a passenger ,also my car seat is more supportive than OHs.
The girl on the phone was lovely and said she couldn't see a problem with my Critical Illness but we will wait and see.I asked for a copy of my original application so I can remember what I put! I had loads of trouble getting CI cover as I have a heart murmur ,thankfully I doubt they can relate that to BC.
It only pays off part of the mortage but every little helps!
Got some Ted Baker perfume in Boots reduced to £7.50 from £30 .............but forgot the aqueous cream LOL!
Good luck with support meeting,hopefully it'll be full of people just like us!

Well reminded ,I need a hairdo and think I can manage the backwash sinks now ,I will just say my back sore as my hairdresser is a man and I don't want to have to tell him.Thankfully no chemo so no problem there!

I must have looked a right sight at the door in my Pjs with cute wee dogs on them! Not the sexiest of gear!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi! Awake again, and been for a quick hair cut. I need all the 'feel good' help I can get!
I never thought about critical illness-I 'll have to check that one out, but I don't think we have any cover for me.
My 'boob' is very hard still, and that's without an implant. It still seems to be in pemanent 'contracted' mode.
I'm off to my first support group meeting tonight, with a girl I know from the swimming pool. Not sure if it's for me, but it's worth a try.
Dot-are you driving yet? I thought I would wait until I have seen the consultant in 2 weeks. My back is very uncomfortable in the car-particularly going round roundabouts, so I don't feel ready quite yet. I thought I would wait to go swimming as well, just to make sure. I'm hoping that swimming might help the tight band feeling, and all the contractions.....maybe that's wishful thinking though!
Judy

ForumMember

Ha ! did you frighten the poor young man ??? I used to frighten people cos I didn't wear my wig at home and used to answer the door. It's a good way of getting rid of unwanted people !!

I didn't have critical illness or any insurances. I hope you get on okay as I know from this site that quite a few have had troubles getting a payout but you really need it at this time. Keep me updated.

Now get to Boots and post your letter ! xx

dotchas

Hehehe!
I got shocked into getting showered!
A chap came to the door and was faced with me in my PJs!!!
He was offering to do my garden.........yes its that bad!
He dropped the price by £20 so must feel sorry for me all tousle headed and in PJ at this time!
I am tempted but you hear about all these fly by night guys but it would be nice to have a tidy garden and not worry about the postie getting lost in the undergrowth!
Gonna call to start ball in motion re Critical Illness............bet that'll be a struggle!
Then Boots and PO,
Oh no ..........forgot to put my scar serum on!

ForumMember

Didn't they look good !! Hope you are nice and clean now! What are you doing for the rest of the day? x

dotchas

Just watching Phil Vickery making a chocolate pot! Then I will go for a shower,honest!

Then Boots for Aqueous cream and anything else that takes my fancy ,I've got loads of these vouchers to use up that they keep giving me!

And to PO to post a birthday pressie and a ebay parcel.

I too have problems wiping my derriere so might ask about physio.My back and my boob contract when I do it!

My Gp thought my lump was nothing too!!!!!!!!!!!!

News on now so off for shower

xxx

ForumMember

Hiya - better get off this settee and get showered -but This Morning has just come on. I keep saying to myself another 5 minutes ........

I had physio for my back as to put it a bit crudely I couldn't even wipe my bottom !! cos my back was that tight I could twist at all. The physio was marvellous. she got rid of a dent above the threaded muscle under arm. It got easier but hasn't disappeared. I think it is just a matter of time. I then went back because of cording and with stretching exercises that soon went so when it starts again I just do the stretching.

The last time I asked the BCN about wired bras she said you could use them but just be careful because they were bothered if the wires came out of the bra or irritated the implant/tissue expander. If it came out she said it could actually put a hole in implant and don't want that ! My boob is so damn hard

I don't mind the way I look without clothes - though I always liked my boobs and thought they were the best bits of my body for my age ! I do look at them but only fleetingly. I look okay with clothes on so for me at the moment that is okay. I have put a lot of weight on and would like to get rid of the excess around my tum

Emotions - I am getting better. I am not crying as much. I don't cry a lot but I do have a good weep sometimes. I never thought this would happen to me. I am from a large family, mum 1 of 10 and all had children so there are many females in my family and nobody with breast cancer so I was a bit blase about checking myself and then I got called for routine screening (2nd time) cos of age and that when they found it. But I had gone to GP quite some time before because that boob had swelled up about half size again. She had a good feel and felt it was just hormones. So whether it was or not I shall never know.

Sorry to waffle on ! going to get in the shower - honest ! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

No rads, just Tamoxifen for 5 years...o bliss...... more years of hot flushes, when I just thought I was getting near to the end of them!
Just bought some Bio oil. I priced it up in Boots, Superdrug and Savers. It was £2 extra for the smallest size in Boots and Superdrug, so it was worth the extra walk! I have found some aqueous cream too, that I didn't know we had, so I'm all sorted now. Thanks.
Now back to bed for a snooze-I walked slowly for an hour and a half without a rest,so I'm shattered! It's hard to believe that only 2 months ago,I was quite happy to walk over 20 miles in a day at a fast pace. I got overtaken by an old lady with a shopping trolley today.... not a good feeling!
Judy

dotchas

While you are in Boots look out for Boots Expert Scar Care Serum,its great for scars .I used it after my 2 recent operations on a broken foot.I don't get on too well with Bio-oil ,its too oily!
I will get some aqueous cream too for the tight skin!
My lunch trip exhausted me yesterday so will have an easy day today. I feel like an old lady!
I haven't been told anything re bras ,just what I read on here so at the moment I am in non-wired ones (bought specially!) but I need padded as my scar/flap has a sunken bit at one end (like a long thin belly button) that you can see through my bras ,even the padded ones but not so obvious. I hope if it doesn't sort itself they will do something about it. Probably no-one else would notice it but I know its there and lets face it our boob area seems to be of tremendous interest to everyone we meet! LOL!

Liz,sorry you had to work yesterday while we went shopping!
Was the physio for the tight skin on your back? Or some tightness with your arm?

Judy,glad to hear you are happier with your boobs in a nice bra.We have to concentrate on how we look dressed.AND that we are still here! I still find it hard to see myself undressed.

I read somewhere on here a comment from someone in a similar situation to me with no chemo or rads ,they said that the Physical treatment was over before their emotions had a chance to catch up. That seems to sum me up!

Have a nice day
xxx

ForumMember

Hi again - I think it will just settle down. Though I did gt OH to massage my back and the muscle under my arm last night. I am seeing the BCN and surgeon later this month. I think I am too far down the line (hopefully) to have undone any stitches holding it together but if it's the same next week I shall ring the nurse. I don't like bothering anybody and will only do so if it gets really bad.

I shall have to buy the smaller bags of litter - like I usually do ! OH only does the litter tray if I am not here !!

Yes - get yourself to Boots. I know if you get the aqueous cream at the chemist and its over a pound for a little pot. Superdrug may have a bit pot. I have only gone through 2 this last year so that's how much is in it. Are you having rads later? as this cream is wonderful for that too.

Horrible day here today - had a thunderstorm that lasted over an hour last night - and I'm scared of them !! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Liz,
Thank for the info. I feel a trip to Boots coming on!
I think cat litter jobs could now be delegated to OH. There has got to be some benefits in going through all that surgery! If it is that painful, do you think you ought to get it checked out?
Judy

ForumMember

It seems everybody has a different opinion on the bras. I find I have a better shape when I take it off than an ordinary no wires bra. If you can use aqueous cream it would be better.If you get it from Boots its about £2.00 for a very large tub. I think Bio oil has something in it which helps reduce scars. It has been advertised on the television for stretch marks etc.

My OH had to do my back which he did every night. I don't need it on the scar now but after having physio for the tightness he does massage it now and again but should be doing it more often because it really does help the tightness. I wish I hadn't picked up that cat litter the other night - I am really suffering and feel as though I have gone backwards.

Whats "sex" ?????

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lizzie
I was told by my BCN not to wear underwired bras, as they could alter the shape, and cause ridges etc. They do give a much better shape though, but mine are all too big anyhow now.
Would normal moisturising oil be ok to use? I have some Sanctuary oil. What exactly is Bio Oil? Can you manage to do your back? I can't reach my back scars, so will have to rely on OH,who has been brilliant. Good job he's not squeamish, as he has been changing my steri strips for me , for the last few weeks. (Not sure what this will do for our sex life in the future.....time will tell! The 'rock' is far too uncomfortable at the moment to even contemplate anything!)
Judy

ForumMember

Hi Judy - nothing like retail therapy ! On the subject of bras, most of my old ones fit me. What have you been told about underwired bras. The BCN says I can wear them, the onc says no so I wear them when going out somewhere as they give a nicer shape. I am trying to lose weight as I put 2 stone on with the chemo etc. It's quite nice to have a bra on that fits and you can't tell that you've had reconstruction.

I have always put aqueous cream on my boob and scars every morning and night since my op. It really helped with the scar where they took the lymph glands out because that does get very tight sometimes. Have you tried Bio-oil. I have some but don't use it a lot.

Liz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just been out with a friend for a spot of retail therapy too! Spent a long time in M and S, trying on different bras. I have lost over a stone in the last few months so have dropped a size, and all my old bras were underwired, apart from the sports bras I bought for after the op. It was quite reassuring in a way, as I thought I was quite unequal, but in a decent bra, they are actually a good match. It's just a shame that one feels the need to contract all the time! I think I am getting a bit more used to it now though.
I have a shiny residue on my skin from my steri strips. Does anyone know the best way of getting rid of this? I have got some surgical spirit, but I wasn't sure if this was a bit too harsh. Should I be rubbing in oil to keep the scars soft now?
Judy

ForumMember

Well aren' t you lucky. I am at work and just logged on ! I used to think that when I was off how was I going to find the time cos meeting people for lunch etc. I wish I didn't have to work !!!

Have a lovely lunch xxx

dotchas

Morning gals!

I am off out for lunch with a colleague and maybe a bit retail therapy.
xxx

ForumMember

Judy - a medical secretary. I work for the hospital but in a Child Development Centre for a paediatrician dealing with children with developmental and behavioural problems. I work with lovely people and the doc I work for has been so lovely since I went back.

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Lizzie-what job do you do?

ForumMember

One of the doctors who came to work couldn't take her eyes of my chest. She said was it minimal op then? NOOO I had mastectomy with reconstruction and a very aggressive cancer ! Cos I have 2 lumps people think I am okay !!

I was off work for 14 months and its damn hard going back xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

T shirts sound a good idea!
Judy

dotchas

Oops,I am still sitting here,really need to move! I have to go make some birthday and anniversary cards I promised to make for my colleague ages ago.We are meeting up tomorrow so better get a move on! I enjoy making them but just can't get inspired.

Liz ,get OH to do the litter in future! My OH seems to have to sit and rest with me when I sit down so he never gets round to doing very much!

Judy, my line ends on Friday that will be just over 6 weeks but I think I need another 2-3 weeks.Will see what my Dr says.

I am doing OK on Tamoxifen ,no flushes yet so fingers crossed! Not sure if some of the tiredness is down to Tamoxifen though.

Shall we get t-shirts made for return to work saying "yes i have had a mastectomy" to give then something to look at!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
Dot- when do you think you will have to go back to work? I have been back to my doctor today and got another month off. She says that I will need longer than that though which is reassuring. I don't feel anywhere near ready to go back.
How are you getting on with Tamoxifen? I seem to be getting on ok with it at the moment- apart from the hot flushes, which I was having before anyhow.

Do you think that we are extra sensitive at the moment? I can see every one's eyes, who know about the op, being drawn to my chest-it's almost like their eyes are being drawn down by a magnet! It must have been like that for Pamela Anderson , Jordan etc,.......but not quite for the same reason!

Energy levels are minimal for me at the mo. I walked down to the doctors-just over a mile, then walked back, then fell asleep for an hour! It's real old lady country at the moment-I can't manage without a sleep every day!

Judy

ForumMember

I should be doing something but got on the pc again - so you may have to throw me off again !

Pouring down here but looks bright on the horizon - like life eh ?

OH text before to see how I was and I told him what I had done last night and he text back saying "I thought that"..... and I was thinking he was going to say he thought about doing the litter tray ! but no he said "I thought that when we bought a big bag of litter " !!! enough said !

I love Loose Women ! xx

dotchas

Hi Gals!

I agree ,I wish I had been warned about the muscle still being active! When I mentioned it at my results appt 2 weeks after surgery the surgeon just said "thats normal".That depressed me as I thought it wouldn't get any better. It has improved a little.
I asked in the ward when I was being discharged how long would it be before I stopped grabbing my boob when I cough or sneeze as I was worried about doing it in the queue in Tescos and the nurse said you will eventually realise you are not doing it any more...."eventually!!!"
She also joked that the person next to me in the queue might be crossing their legs when they cough or sneeze! At least I don't have to do that yet and hope my boob settles down before I have that problem or coughing will be tricky!

Its difficult to remember to avoid using my right arm for heavy things and that worries me about going back to work.I hope your aching boob and shoulder get better soon Liz.

Its clouding over here but I have been out and am watching "Loose Women" now.

ForumMember

Hi - did a silly thing last night when I was cleaning the cat litter tray. I lifted a 5kg bag of litter with the left side and felt the muscle go in my boob. It now feels as bad as ever and pain in my shoulder blades. My own fault I know I should have been more careful and thought about what I was doing. Won't do it again. So will have to wait for it to settle again.

Herceptin was okay and went in on time for a change. Usually wait for about an hour which I don't mind cos sit and chat or watch everybody coming and going ! cos I'm nosy !

There should a leaflet about the true effects of reconstruction and the jumping boob etc and what to expect because nobody told me anything and it was quite a shock to have your boob twitching about - still does and have to put arm across it when I sneeze or cough !!

Have a lovely day - sun out here but can see clouds looming.

Liz xx

dotchas

How was the Herceptin Liz?
I am very very lucky and just need Tamoxifen at the moment so don't know much about Herceptin.
I was out with a friend last night for a drink,it was nice to feel normal! Although when I had to use my arms to get me out of one of those big comfy sofas I was worried everyone could see my boob contract! LOL!
I am also having lunch with a colleague tomorrow ,I don't think I will have time to go back to work!
The thought of going back to work is now terrifying me! Just all the sympathetic looks and people staring at my boobs.
I still get tired very easily,not sure if thats just the operation or the tamoxifen?
My boob feels tight and uncomfy but I don't think its as bad as you describe Liz,and I am only 6 weeks post op .Mind you maybe it gets worse as time goes on (help!) or has it always felt that way?
Surgeons do seem to like the phrase "it'll take time".
Judy,its just really my boob that contracts when I do certain things,its a little easier than it was but not much.
The sun is out here (at the moment) so might pop out for some shopping!
Take care girls,
Dot
xxx

ForumMember

Hi Judy - I haven't heard of loosening the muscle either but I am hoping he can do something with it. Like you say it does look like a 3rd boob. I just feel I have got an metal lassoo from my back and around my boob and being pulled all the time. I must say though it is getting easier than this time last year. I suppose I will get the answer - it takes time !

Liz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
Is it possible to loosen the muscle? I have never heard of that being done. Mine feels like its permanently contracted-almost like a muscle spasm. When I try to walk faster than an amble, my ribs join in too, so my whole side seems to go into spasm. Is anyone else having a similar problem? I agree with the tennis ball in Mum's bra comment- mine definitely doesn't feel part of me yet. I wonder if it will ever soften and relax. It's tempting to ask for Botox into the muscle to make it all relax!
Still having seroma prblems too. I had my back drained on Friday by the consultant for the third time, and some more steroid injected to prevent it re-filling, but it's starting up again.
My underarm is huge! I was a very active strong swimmer, so I am wondering if it is sheer bulk which will always be there, or whether some of it is swelling. It does look like a third boob.....very attractive!
Judy