still worried! :/

hi all.
I posted a couple of times a few months back as i found a lump in my breast, i was referee and had a ultrasound, nothing was seen so i have been discharged.
I was so happy and grateful obviously, but i just cannot rest and accept there is nothing wrong as i obviously still have a lump and i keep obsessing over it, checking it all the time etc.
I am worried about being paranoid, as i lost a auntie to cancer who was miss diagnosed until it was too late, so its difficult to get perspective as to if i am being justified or just silly.
It has been a month since my visit to the clinic.
I would go back doctors but i think they will just say i am ok, and i don’t want to take away valuable appointments.
Any advice once again would be great.
i am 29 x

Hi Mrs Sparkle,

I’m sure your fellow forum users will be along sortly to give you some much needed support, but in the meantime could I suggest you give the helpline here a call, they’re here to support you. Calls are free, lines are open now until 5pm 0808 800 6000. Hope this helps.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

If you are still not happy I would suggest that you go back to see your GP. If you have an obvious lump, did they tell you what they thought it was? Often benign lumps are cysts and if so, they can be drained by putting a needle in and letting the fluid out. I had a cyst and my surgeon drained it then and there to prove to me that it really wasn’t anything. If you have a cyst it sounds as though getting it drained might reassure you.

Sometimes though what you have is fibrous thickening. Yep, I have that too. This is just a lumpy area and can’t be drained. I have had to just take their word that it isn’t anything to worry about.

But being breast aware is very important and noting any additional changes is important even it is confirmed that you have some kind of benign lumpiness of this kind. By chance - and it was pure chance and not related to any of the above - I did eventually have a bc, so small that it couldn’t even be found as a lump, and this was found and treated (successfully so far) because I made sure to get anything unusual checked out.

Sorry about burbling but if you aren’t happy I would either think back to what they told you it was, if they just didn’t see anything or just saw something that they weren’t worried about. If the latter you might be able to get the lump “confirmed” as a cyst by draining or if you think they may have missed something which is there, keep on at them and ask for a second check. It isn’t nagging, it isn’t a waste of their time or yours. If it is making you unhappy and you think there is still a risk, go are perfectly entitled to go back and get it second checked xx

Thanks for your reply Mary grace.
As far as i am aware nothing of concern showed up on ultrasound, as it was very quick and nothing was measured etc…the lady took a picture of the area and them i went back into the first nurse and she said it was just glandular tissue.
I have heard about peoples cancer not showing up so they normally do a needle test aswel don’t they?
i am confused as nothing was really explained to me and i was so relieved i didn’t ask at the time, I just ran out.
Again not sure if i am just being daft.
Thankyou

Two things you could do

1. ask for a copy of the letter the clinic will send to your GP - most clinics send these to us automatically, otherwise ask your GP for a copy.
  2. ring the clinic and speak to your breast nurse for a full explanation of what the lump is - they are used to people doing this cos we don’t always take everything in at the appt.

hope this helps

grumpy