sunken chest after masectomy

hi had mx 12 days ago had to have seroma drained twice noticed today after i had it drained my chest looked sunken a lot more than it looked after op was a bit of a shock i must say.just wondered if anyone else had this looks a lot diff to the pics i saw

Hi Laura. Yeah, my chest looks a lot more sunken post bilateral mastectomy than before too, and you can really see the ribs protruding; ugh! Mind you, I’ve kinda got used to it now (op was back in July), so try not to worry too much! xx

Hi Laura

I had a double mastectomy too with seromas both sides. Having those drained soon after the op definitely makes chest look quite sunken. Had my seromas drained yesterday and didn’t get the sunken chest as some more healing has occurred.

Elinda x

hi thanks nice to know im not only one just a bit of a shock to see it like that still quite sore at moe and getting all the nerve pains they think i might have cording to as cant lift my arm very much to do the second lot of exercises i exspect all will settle in time and i will get used to it it wasnt like this after op so was a shock yesterday tc laura

Laura it’s very early days yet so try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know. I was very sore and had shooting pains and these gradually eased off to nothing. With the arm exercises I found my arm was really quite stiff for the first 5 weeks or so and I could only do a limited amount of exercises (on side of axillary clearance) but then suddenly it must have healed more because I could do them all without problem. I have a very good range of movement now - same as before.

It’s hard in the first few weeks because you’re body is going through the healing processes.

take care
Elinda x

elinda45 hi thanks for that hopefully i be the same i have read sometimes they delay your rads because of the seromas did this happen to you this is my first day of doing little bits and i must say they were only little bits lol hope your well laura xx

Hi Laura64,

You will need to get your cording sorted out too before your rads can start. You will need to get your arm above your head and keep it there for some time as this is the way they position you for rads. I had the same problem. My cording was very visible and ran from my armpit to my wrist but the physiotherapist sorted it within a week. I needed some stronger painkillers to allow me to do the exercises so I took co-codamol and Ibuprofen.

good luck, Jan xx

Hya all, yeah know what you mean about the sunken chest, I had my op last october and now I have a 6 pack!!!
I feel I look like an 8 year old boy…
I am now thinking about going the whole hog and getting a willy attached…lol (only joking…)
I agree, you need to get the cording sorted out as this could develop into lymphoedema. Maybe you need to speak with the lymphoedema nurse, Keep up with the exercises…1,2,3…1,2,3
luv ang x

Hi Laura

I do still have seromas but my radiotherapy is going ahead - planning meeting on 18th Nov and then rads start 30th. I’ve seen two oncologists and they are both in agreement that it’s okay. I was worried about that too. What I was told was that they didn’t want it fluctuating too much as it would affect where they target the rads so I’ve had drained now but can’t again until radiotherapy is finished.

Hopefully all your problems will resolve by the time you start rads.
take care
Elinda x

Hi All
I had a bilateral mastectomy with axillary clearance on right last July after six lots of TAC chemo. I had a seroma on the right side where I was to have 15 rads but at my planning appointment the radiographer didn’t make anything of it, it had already been drained three times over a period of four weeks. I had it drained just before my first dose of rads. Funnily enough the sermoa didn’t refill after that. As for cording, I had this in my right arm but was told to keep going with the exercises, also having to keep it above my head during the rads soon got rid of it!
Good luck and love to all
Jennie

hi ive gtg for my results wed so i will have word then im unsure if its cording my arm pit is sore and cant lift arm up to high feals like got stuck or there is something there stopping me from doing this i have got a line running down the lower part of my arm but one of the docs thinks it to do with chemo but im not to sure thanks for your help and as it only 2 wks since mx maybe it still bit to early for much arm movement thanks for your advice tc everyone laura x